Katherine's Father

Sitting across from her brother in the carriage, Katherine kept her gaze on the passing countryside. She couldn't bring herself to even glance over when her brother spoke up for the first time of their journey. "I will warn you, Katherine," Pierre said. "Your father most likely will not recognize you. He is heavily sedated for his own safety."

Her eyes narrowing, Katherine said nothing in response. The carriage turned down a long, tree lined drive. When she finally got a look at the institution her father was being kept at, the young lady couldn't repress a shudder. Even with the sun shining, the large brick building had a gloomy and depressing air about it.

As soon as the carriage stopped, Pierre climbed out and turned to assist his sister. Ignoring his offered hand, Katherine stepped out and looked up at the hospital with a concerned frown. The idea that her father had been imprisoned here sent a chill down her back. Resolutely, Pierre took her arm and escorted her up the steps.

An older, shrewish woman met them in the foyer, looking them over calculatingly. "How pleasant to see you again, Madame," Pierre said to her. Katherine stared at him in shock at his politeness. "We are here to see Dr. Le Beau."

"I will ask if he is available, Monsieur," the woman said before hurrying off, leaving the pair standing in the foyer.

Glancing around, Katherine saw men and women sitting in chairs and wandering along several hallways aimlessly. All of them had lost looks in their eyes, and Katherine's heart went out to them. "My father is like one of these poor people?" she whispered to herself.

The nurse returned before she could think any more about it. "The doctor will see you," she announced, her tone more gracious. "If you would follow me?"

Nodding his thanks, Pierre took Katherine's arm again and propelled her after the woman as they went down a hallway. The nurse knocked on a door and then opened it when a voice inside bade her to do so. Acting as though Katherine would resist, Pierre firmly pushed his sister in and the door shut behind them.

"Thank you so much for agreeing to see us, Doctor," Pierre said, making a half bow in greeting. "I would like to introduce you to my half sister, Katherine Hemway. She is Henry Hemway's only child as I mentioned to you before."

The thin, grey haired man rose from his seat behind his desk. "I am delighted to meet you, Mademoiselle," he said, coming around the desk. He studied the young lady closely as he gestured to a group of chairs in front of the window. "Please sit down, and we will have a cozy chat."

"Pardon me, sir. I did not come here to talk. I came to see my father," Katherine told him without making a move to the chairs. "Please take me to him. We can talk after that."

"Mademoiselle, I don't think that is a good idea," Dr. Le Beau responded, his tone regretful. Katherine stared at him. "Your father is a very unstable man. Seeing you after all this time will only upset him unnecessarily. You must admit you are very upset yourself at the moment."

Katherine's eyes narrowed further. "Indeed I am," she answered, her tone sharp. "I should have been told of this months ago and to have it revealed to me so abruptly is upsetting. My father and I are very close, Doctor, and have never been apart for long without some kind of communication. I must see him. Now."

"Calm yourself, Mademoiselle, please," Dr. Le Beau advised, his tone chiding. He looked over at Pierre. "She is displaying a violent temper, as her father has. This may be significant."

Pierre nodded in agreement. Eyes flashing in anger, Katherine put her hands on her hips. "Temper?" she repeated, her voice a deadly calm. "Monsieur, you have not seen my temper yet, but I assure you, you will if you do not allow me to see my father at once!"