The Found One

By bmacke01

He found her. He chose her. Now, she must decide if she chooses him. A Silverbloods Series ©The Found One... More

Introduction & A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
...

Chapter 35

20.3K 831 82
By bmacke01

Izzy POV

It had been nearly six days and according to Hayden, Rowan was hoping that they would be able to wrap everything up that evening and they could be on the road by nightfall heading for his territory. Of course as the days had drawn on and the realization of what the end of their time at Semper meant, nerves had started to take root in her gut. Every time they spoke about the trip to Silverblood territory – just hearing the name had her feeling dizzy – she became a ball of nerves and nausea. Cold sweats breaking out as she would start to hyperventilate, she thought she was doing a pretty good job of hiding it from Rowan - who had enough stress going on as he and Jackson continued to lock heads with the oldest and most stubborn members of the Jackson's pack. Apparently, Hayden had explained the day before, that they were the members that under the 'old ways' would have become councilors, and although that had been abandoned with the succession of Rowan's parents, a certain part of Semper refused to give up the positions and power they believed they were entitled too. It was creating quite the headache for the young Prince and Alpha.

So far, only Hayden and Derek had become aware of her continued anxiety and panic attacks, and she had sworn both to silence, they didn't like it, especially the lying to Rowan part whenever he managed to pick up on her feelings, but her threat was enough to keep them silent – for now at least.

"You really should tell him." Derek said again, his face screwing up in a scowl as he steadied her as she bent over, eyes closing in an attempt to ease the tightness in her chest. He was particular prickly about the whole 'keeping anything from your mate' nonsense.

"I told you Derek, he has enough going on without me adding to it." Izzy said between deep slow breaths.

"You're his mate! It's different, he'd want to know." Derek added, rubbing her back soothingly, even though displeasure coated his tone.

It hadn't taken Izzy long to warm up to the wolf, like Austin, his bark was worse than his bite – or at least for her it was. Underneath his stony exterior she found a loyal and very principled man, and over the past few days she had gotten quite a few lengthy lectures on mates and the role of them in their society and each other. He was not impressed that she was opposing the mate bond and keeping things from Rowan.

Hayden just made, what she considered could be taken as either a noise of either agreement or amusement, at Derek's continued argument. He was more accepting of her decision, Izzy thought it was because he had tasted the mate bond before and therefore understood the feel of its loss. He also looked at her differently now though, a new hope and light shone in his eyes, an easiness in shoulders that hadn't been there before. On the surface he spoke and seemed the same, but there was a feel in the energy around him that had shifted, it wasn't quite so dark and violent. That didn't mean he liked this one bit, every time she started to experience one of her attacks – which was more and more frequent as the days went on – he would become quiet, his arms crossing as he just watched her.

Feeling the tightness give a little, she straitened from her folded position, just as every time since the time she had collapsed to the ground her head spinning, Derek was quick to grab her hands steadying her. Being careful to go slow she opened her eyes, one at a time only to find Hayden watching her every move. Rolling her eyes at him she huffed and stuck out her tongue. "I'm not going to run you idiot." She said taking a few more deep breaths.

He made another noise and she rolled her eyes at him again.

"They're going to love you." Derek said, obviously still being able to scent her continued panic and unease.

"Yeah, yeah you keep saying that." Izzy said, trying to force her brain onto anything accept the idea of meeting Rowan's family. "But what do you know?"

That got a reaction from Hayden who laughed, "She's got a point Der."

"Shut it Hayden, and stop glaring at her, you aren't helping." Derek muttered, his hands still light on her arms. Not yet ready to trust her to hold herself up. She couldn't really fault him for it, she'd scared the crap out of them both when she'd fainted the first time.

"Izzy." She looked over at Hayden, his face softer and warmer than it had been a moment before. "Do you trust Rowan?"

She nodded.

"Do you think he'd take you anywhere he couldn't protect you?"

She thought about it before shaking her head.

"Do you think me and Derek would let you go somewhere where you'd be in danger?"

She shook her head.

"Then trust us. Even if the king and Queen have some problem with you, or the court, or the pack, or anything, you know we'd get you out. And you know Rowan would die rather than let you get hurt."

Izzy mulled over the words, she didn't really like the idea of others being hurt for her, but they did the trick all the same. They made her feel a little less exposed at the idea of being shoved in front of these people; just a lost little human amongst the wolves. Slowly she nodded and Hayden smiled at her. "Anyone tries anything and I'll tell my mom on them." He added getting a laugh from Derek.

Izzy looked at him in question. "Hayden's mum is terrifying and if you get on her bad side well, her payback is legendary." Derek explained.

"And I'm her favorite son."

"You're her only son, you dumbass."

"Potatoe, patatoe."

"You know, no one actually says 'patatoe'" Izzy interjected, cutting off their bickering. "It's actually a kind of stupid saying, it'd be better to say 'you say hat, I say toque'."

Both guys just looked at her like she'd grown another head.

"What?" She asked.

They just shook their heads continuing to head back towards the house.  They were still quite a bit out when something grabbed Hayden's attention, his head swinging to the south, hand shooting out to stop her, moving her closer to him as his eyes searched the low scattering of trees only a few hundred meters away.

"Fuck." Hayden cursed, body rigid.

Derek moved to her other side, hand flicking towards the weapon at his side.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Called a voice.

Izzy's heart leapt into her throat as fear exploded in her, she wanted to run but her feet were rooted to the spot.

"Just stay calm." Hayden murmured, his eyes glued to where the voice had come from.

And then watching she saw them. Close to a dozen men appeared from behind the towering ash trees, they weren't dressed in uniform, and were scruffier and more haggard looking than the others she had met, but there was something about them that told her that these men were werewolves, some feralness, a sense of power and danger that even her human mind could pick up on. Her heart was racing, sweat prickling her upper lip and scalp, fresh waves of terror crashing over her until she was nearly as dizzy as before.

"And who do we have here?" Asked that same languid deep male voice, an accent Izzy couldn't place peeking through in his words. "Ah two young Alpha's. Well now, what a treat to make your acquaintance."

"You are trespassing on Pack lands." Derek said, his voice stronger and more even than Izzy would have expected. Taking a moment to look she realized both men wore stormy icy expressions, muscles taut and alert but other than that they seemed unfazed and unconcerned at the appearance of these dozen foreign wolves.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." The man who had spoken snapped, his gaze shifting to Hayden, whose eyes flashed black at the words.

The man was dressed much more nicely than the others around him. His clothes were unwrinkled, and looked in good repair, his hair was washed and trimmed, his beard neatly kept and he lacked the overall appearance of unkemptness of the others. There was something else about him, something that drew your eye, that commanded your attention, your focus. The other's nearly faded into the background, unnoticeable - but not him.

"Do what?" Hayden asked.

Izzy picked up something in Hayden's voice, she looked at him from the corner of her eye and watched his eyes narrow into two slits.

"Call your princeling of course." The man said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Doyle." Hayden snarled in response, taking a small step forward.

"At your service." The man said with an indulgent and smug smile, accompanying it with a flourished bow that looked like it would be more in place at a medieval reenactment than in the middle of a field during a werewolf standoff.

Hayden went to take another step forward but his arm still resting on her forearm stopped him, snapping him from his anger with a reminder of her presence amongst the enemy, shifting closer he snarled lowly at the man - Doyle.

"Now, now. No need for the threats. I'm merely here for a little chat. And besides, you wouldn't want the little human to get caught in the crossfires, now would you?" Doyle asked finally looking and addressing her presence between Derek and Hayden.

But Izzy wasn't fooled for a second, there hadn't been a moment since probably before Hayden realized they weren't alone that Doyle hadn't been fully aware of her presence, or of who she was – well not who, but what she was.

"She isn't your concern." Hayden said, shifting to try and block more of her from Doyle.

The name kept ringing in her ears, over and over, the words Rowan had finally confided in her, the war, his mate's death, the man behind so much of it – and now here he was standing in front of her. She felt dirty just being near him, and found herself wishing that it was Rowan and not Hayden that was standing beside her, that it was Rowan's arm that was steadying her and not Derek's, and that if this was her final moments, that it was Rowan's voice, and his face that would be the last things she would hear and see.

"A new member for my dear niece's family? That is always a concern of mine." Doyle purred, not shifting his eyes from her.

"The Queen no longer holds any ties to you, nor you to her, you made sure of that." Hayden snarled back, his hands fisting.

"An unfortunate accident." Doyle said, with a wave of his hand. "A subject gets it into his head to take things into their own hands – rest assured the parties responsible were dealt with adequately."

"Unfortunate accident?" Hayden repeated in disbelief. "You are insane. And if you think Aislinn will ever forgive you- "

"She will forgive me!" Doyle roared, his eyes flashing pitch black. Catching himself he ran his hands threw his hair, rolling his shoulders. "She will forgive me because I am all the family she has left." He finished calmly, and with absolute conviction.

"What do you want Doyle?" Derek said, cutting off Hayden's next retort. Izzy squeezed his wrist in thanks for shifting the focus before Hayden lost his cool and they all ended up dead.

"It's Your Highness to those not of Royal decent, but for the grandson of the infamous Maleco I can offer a pass." Doyle said, his voice back to that of the unhurried indulgent one of before.

Izzy was getting the distinct impression that whatever Robert Doyle had been before the war, he was most certainly not that anymore.

"I'm flattered." Derek said flatly.

"You should be, there are not many I tolerate disrespect from. You should be sure to remind your Queen of that little fact. It seems she may have forgotten."

"You said you wanted to talk?" Derek hinted ignoring the Rogue King's ramblings.

"I do. Not with you though young Alpha." Doyle said, shifting his gaze back to her. "With her."

Izzy flinched under the force of his gaze, she didn't like the intensity in his eyes, the aura around him that urged you to look at him, that pulled you in, but then when you did you were met with the insanity shining in his eyes that made you want to squirm.

"You talk to me." Hayden said leaving no room for argument.

"You're boring, son of Bellator. Her though? Oh no, she's not boring at all. A human amongst the Crown's most trusted and loyal, accompanying the Royal Court, covered in the scent of the very private and very guarded princeling of the lands? No, I'll talk to her, she's interesting. She's piqued my curiosity. I do so love a mystery." Doyle said, stepping closer to where they stood, his hand reaching for her. Even with feet of space still between them she flinched back and away not wanting the man anywhere near her.

"So little human, how did you come to play with wolves?" Doyle asked her, his eyes still dilated black and bright with interest.

"We said you aren't talking to her." Hayden said, stepping fully in front of her.

"I came to talk, but I will kill her. It's not as interesting but it is effective and it carries a certain message, don't you think? One even I think your prince will understand?" Doyle said, his voice changing to one of hard cool steel.

Shivers raced down Izzy's spine at the malice and cruelty in that voice, there was no hint of hesitation or remorse, he would kill them without a thought, and right now they were too outnumbered to fight out, not for her to survive anyways. Taking a breath, she pushed on Hayden's shoulder, stepping around him so she was facing Doyle.

"Brave little thing." Doyle mused as he watched her every move. "I can see why you captured the eyes of the Prince."

"I did no such thing." Izzy said trying to keep her voice from shaking, proud when it came out nearly normal. "And I'm not brave, I just don't like bullies."

Doyle blinked before bursting into laughter. "Bully? Well now little human you're either brave, or incredibly stupid. Hmmm... maybe a bit of both?"

Izzy didn't answer, just crossing her arms, letting herself focus only on the anger that burned in her gut at the thought of the pain and heartache this man had caused Rowan for so many years, ignoring her own fear and terror.

"And stubborn. See, young Bellator?" He asked looking to Hayden who was fuming beside her, his hand on the weapon at his side. "Much more interesting than you and your predictable fury and threats."

"I wouldn't push him too much, he's protecting me now, but he doesn't like me that much - push him enough and he might just kill you anyways." Izzy lied, forcing the Rogue alpha's attention back to her, and off of poking at Hayden who she could feel beginning to tremble at her side.

"You think he could kill me before I kill him?" Doyle asked looking genuinely intrigued at the idea and possibility.

"I think he'd give it his best shot."

"Interesting, perhaps you aren't as boring as I expected." Doyle said to Hayden. "But I tire of this back and forth, and reinforcements are heading to the borders, unfortunately our time is nearly up."

"How disappointing." Izzy said sarcastically.

"I can see why you might intrigue the young Princeling, perhaps I should get a human pet of my own."

"I am not a pet." Izzy sneered, anger bubbling up at the thought of this man going and stealing some human just for amusement.

"Yes, yes, of course. My mistake, your highness." Doyle said with a wink. "Now then, down to business; in exchange for not killing you all, you are going to take a message to my niece-"

Hayden growled, "She is nothing to you, dog!"

Robert snapped from his pleasant demeanor once more, the face of the man able to command a legion of vicious rogues coming through, "She can say anything she wants about me, but she is still my niece, I am her family, I raised her from her crib, and any issues we have - is between me and her, and not your concern pup." He roared.

Izzy grabbed Hayden's shoulder, mentally pleading for him not to push the man or the issue, to just let it go no matter how difficult it was.

And then like a switch had been flipped, Doyle was back to the pleasant easy-going manner of before, "So little human, you are going to take a message to my niece."

He paused, and Izzy slowly nodded her head, a rock of lead filling her stomach as she waited for what he'd say next.

"Tell Thea, that I want to see her. Face-to-face and without that over-bearing mate of hers. She grants me forgiveness and agrees to keep seeing me, to not cut me from her life anymore, and in exchange I'll walk back into the shadows, our quarrel forgotten and forgiven."

"You killed her son's mate." Izzy said in disbelief of what she was hearing. "You killed all those wolves at Tenebris."

"Water under the bridge." Doyle said with another wave, "Besides I'm letting you three live, that should give me some points. And I mean you should be thanking me for the whole mate-thing. You wouldn't have the Prince if I hadn't have gotten rid of the first bitch."

Izzy felt her mouth drop at the callousness with which he spoke of murder, at the lack of remorse, at the audacity of the man. She didn't even know where to start with how messed up in the head he was. "You're insane."

Doyle shrugged, uninsulted by her charge. "Perhaps, but remember little human, your new friends' hands aren't all that squeaky clean either. Isn't that right young Bellator? If I remember correctly it was your mother along with your aunt that helped to kill my son all those years ago? I believe I am still owed for that debt."

"He was going to torture and kill them!" Hayden spit out.

"Ah yes, and he was so beautiful at it – a shame really, they would have been privileged to go under his knife, such skill, so regretful. I had big plans for him - all lost." He sighed dramatically before continuing, "And now, I'm just left with these idiots." gesturing to the rogues behind and around him, who didn't so much as flinch at their supposed kings words, nor obvious disappointment.

"Boss, we should be going, a patrol is only a few clicks out." One of the rogues piped up, speaking for the first time.

"Well, that's my cue. It's been a pleasure my dear. I'm glad we got to speak, and I'll be counting down the days until we meet again." Doyle said with another extravagant and flourished bow. "Boys." He said with a nod to Derek and Hayden, before spinning on his heels, his rogues falling in around him as long powerful strides moved him towards Semper's borders. Turning his head, he called over his shoulder, catching Izzy's gaze once more. "Make sure the Queen gets my message little human, I'd hate to kill the messenger and lose the first interesting character to step onto the pages of our little drama in ages." His laughter was the last thing they heard before he and his rogues disappeared from sight.

"Holy Shit." Hayden said breaking the stunned silence that suddenly engulfed them.

"Fuck." Derek added angrily.

"He was right fucking there, and we just let him walk away!" Hayden continued.

"We didn't have a choice." Derek said more calmly, but Izzy didn't miss how his fists clenched at his sides.

"I know we didn't, but what the fuck! How did he get in here? Rowan is going to lose his fucking mind! Fucking shit!" Hayden raged.

And as if realizing at once she was still standing stunned and mute between them, they turned, looking her up and down as if they hadn't actually witnessed the whole thing and somehow could have been physically hurt. Both frowning at whatever they found on her face.

"We need to get her out of here." Hayden said to Derek, anxiously looking around them, instantly back on alert.

"We need to get to Rowan." Derek concurred.

"We need to get the fuck out of here, is what we need to do. Dammit I knew we shouldn't have come here, Semper is too goddamn unstable." Hayden roared as they started moving at a much faster pace than before back towards the pack house. Both of them staying close enough that they brushed against her sides as they nearly ran.

When the pack house was finally coming into sight, Hayden suddenly stopped throwing her off balance, she would have gone sprawling if not for Derek's quick hands to grab her. "What the hell Hayden?" He demanded turning to look at him.

Izzy did as well, thinking perhaps he had been hurt or attacked. What she found was somehow worse. Hayden face had gone completely white, his eyes were glazed with a far-away look and completely black.

"Hayden?" She asked gently, not understanding what was happening, but knowing it wasn't good. "Hayden?" She tried again when he didn't respond.

"NO!" the word tore from his throat, as he suddenly spun, his hand reaching back for her unconsciously as he started sprinting full speed for the house. Her shorter legs couldn't keep up, but his grip was relentless.

Derek was swearing and screaming at his side, as clueless as her as to what was happening.

Without breaking stride or another word after that single cried 'no' Hayden reached back and picked her up, swinging her around his body, his other arm catching her legs as he held her across his chest and took off at full speed his chest rumbling against her shoulder.

Her hair whipped around her face as she clung to Hayden's shoulders, fear and anxiety clawing at her at what could have happened that would have set Hayden off. Still unsettled from the confrontation with Doyle her mind kept bringing up more and more horrendous and gruesome scenarios. As the seconds flew by she found herself repeating the same thought over and over, please don't let it be Rowan. Please not Rowan.

The pack house was in chaos when they arrived, people were screaming and crying, armed wolves, most of them clad in the black uniforms of the Royal guard were pushing and urging people from the house. Spotting her in Hayden's arms, and Derek just behind them, they waved them forward, clearing a path for them. One pointed to the back of the house, towards where Jackson's office was, but Hayden didn't seem to need the direction, already heading for the partially ajar doors at the end. With every step Izzy's heart dropped, she knew her nails were digging into Hayden's shoulders.

It felt like time slowed down, the laws of the universe themselves changing to try and shield them from what was beyond those doors, from whatever horror had the sounds of heartbreaking ringing in their ears. With each step the hallway grew longer, the world narrowing until it was just the crack of light spilling across the worn wood floor, and yet however long those few feet were, they weren't nearly far enough. Time did what it could, shielding her for as long as it was able, but before she was ready Hayden's large calloused hand was pressed to the worn and polished door, the hinges squeaking, protesting, offering one last resistance, one last warning, but it was futile, and then Hayden was pushing it open with enough force that it hit the wall with a bang, the wall behind shaking, the noise making her jump in his arms. And as if it shattered the spell that had been holding them, everything sped back up, time focused around her in crystal brutal clarity, and her brain fumbled to make it out, to understand. Denial pushing back against what her eyes took in, she refused to blink as the tears welled.

Olivia was kneeling on the ground, her hands clenched around his, Noah was kneeling beside her, his arms around her as she sobbed against him. Isaac was nowhere to be seen, the thought that she had never seen the twins apart filtering through her mind absently as she tried to make what she was seeing make sense.

Her heart was hammering, and jumping into her throat a strangled cry catching as she finally found him, struggling in Hayden's arms, his body rigged and stiff under her, she jumped from his hold, unable to worry about his reaction until she was sure. She flew across the room, side-steeping around the broken desk, the tipped chairs, and strewn papers, debris and glass, launching herself at him. A moment before she was about to hit him, he looked up, his head raising from his hands, fingers releasing his hair, broken silver eyes meeting hers. His movements were slow and jerky but he was able to catch her just before she would have tumbled to the floor. His arms wrapping around her and pulling her into his chest and burying his face into her shoulder. She felt him take a deep breath before a single shuddering sob racked him. She felt her heart break, her mind flashing to the scene that had met her entrance, but then worry for him took over, and she pushed against his shoulders, forcing him to put space between their bodies. She had to be sure. Blood covered him, three deep claw marks were oozing dark thick blood from his shoulder. His fast healing already starting to repair the damage the move to catch her had done to re-open the wound. His dark blue shirt was in tatters, his hair disheveled, and a deep bruise had bloomed and was already fading over his cheekbone. Satisfied she met his gaze, tears welling again as she took in the unfathomable depth of pain she found in their grey depths.

"What happened?" Her voice broke on the words, hitching around the sobs that were threatening to consume her. But she fought them back, she needed to be strong, she needed to be there for him. Whatever they were, or weren't, and whatever was happening between them didn't matter anymore, all that mattered was the gut-wrenching grief in his eyes, and the desperation in his fingers as he gripped her sides, as if she was the only thing holding him from disappearing into some void. When his eyes turned silver, and not from the presence of his wolf, but the tears catching in his silver tipped lashes, she let him pull her back to him, his face pressing into her neck.

She felt something brush against her back, shifting her head she saw the backs of Hayden and Derek standing shoulder to shoulder in front of them, hands balled in fists at their sides. Unwrapping an arm from Rowan's neck, she reached behind her, squeezing each of their arms, thankful for their presence, but knowing they needed comfort as much as Rowan and Olivia did at the moment. As they all would.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 29.5K 31
Sadie O' Connell couldn't wait to meet her mate. She had always seen how her mother and father loved each other, which is something she couldn't wait...
1.5M 28K 27
After running away from her pack, Katie accidentally lands in the territory of another wolf's pack. Little does she know that the alpha, turned out t...
115K 2.6K 20
Luna is part of the Blue Moon pack, sworn enemies of the Black Thorn pack. She has just come of age. It is time for her to find a mate. What happens...
8.1M 248K 46
Charlotte has kept her wolf a secret her entire life. She knows she is the first born heir to an Alpha, but her mother refuses to tell her who her fa...