When Lightning Strikes

By AlwaysSunny

In a city full of villains, would you dare to be the hero? In Lincoln Grove, there hasn't been a hero in 12... More

Trailer
Chapter 1-- Bravery of a walnut
Chapter 2 -- The mastermind
Chapter 3 -- Try and keep up
Chapter 5 -- Crashing Red Raven's party
Chapter 6 -- Stuff up his sleeve
Chapter 7 -- You own a dress?
Chapter 8 -- Red Raven's suit
Chapter 9 -- Who's your hero?
Chapter 10 -- I just want chocolate
Chapter 11 -- The monster behind the mask
Chapter 12 -- A terrible tag team
Chapter 13 -- Bigger fish to fry
Chapter 14 -- You're just a shadow
Chapter 15 -- Drop us in traffic
Chapter 16 -- Someone has to be the renegade
Chapter 17 -- The ship has set sail
Chapter 18 -- Hail storm
Chapter 19 -- You're not so bad
Chapter 20 -- Watch out for falling houses
Chapter 21 -- You? Weaknesses?
Chapter 22 -- Falling pretty hard
Chapter 23 -- What peace feels like
Chapter 24 -- This maze called the Friendzone
Chapter 25 -- Run for the hills
Chapter 26 -- Thunder
Chapter 27 -- The Mystery Gang
Chapter 28 -- Record time
Chapter 29 -- Mother's intuition
Chapter 30 -- Is it a good plan?
Chapter 31 -- That went well
A/N
Bonus Chapter 1 - Gang initiation after lunch
Bonus Chapter 2 - Methane, propane, and vegetable oil

Chapter 4 -- How about mercy?

7.3K 416 258
By AlwaysSunny

Frantically searching the streets in a blue Party City mask was not what I had imagined I'd look like when I encountered Red Raven for a second time. Each house is scorched, and I pray I won't find anyone in them when I go in. I check every single house on the block. Until I get to the last one, there were no citizens gasping for air. The last house contains a small little girl, with Red Raven holding her up by her shirt collar. The girl looks like she's no older than 10 and claws at his hands but he wasn't budging. I refrain from gasping aloud and charge in at full speed to take her from his grasp.

"That was my hostage, Della." He feigns disappointment. I hold the girl tight to me as her sobs become hiccups.

"Maybe you could stop calling me by my name? That'd be great." I roll my eyes as he chuckles. Of course that's too much to ask.

"I'd call you by your super name, but you don't have one yet. And until you do some good around this town, you won't get one. So I think the only proper way for me to address you is by your real name."

A thought comes to mind and I hold back a conniving smirk. Before he can even blink, I rush the girl out to the crowd of people standing by the streets, terrified. I run back to the house to find Red Raven pondering what just happened, which must be a new feeling for him. He spots me for a brief second before I grab him and rush him up to the one building he left standing: town hall. The building is 35 feet tall, and it takes me no time to climb three flights of steps. The struggle is having Red Raven on my back. Once I reach the rooftop, I dangle Red Raven by his feet over the edge of the building. It's a little scary for both of us, I imagine. He's hoping he doesn't fall to his death, and I'm wondering how long I can hold onto a guy twice my weight.

"I think it's time I get a name, Raven. How about Mercy?"

I wait for him to fly away, like he did the night he came into my room. Honestly, I'm waiting to be defeated. I just wanted to shake him up a little.

"Fine! Mercy!" He pleads. Well, I wasn't expecting that. Why is he surrendering? The news team from channel 4 reports the feed live from below. Even though they probably can't see my face, I don't need anyone recognizing my clothes or hair. As fast as I got up here, I run back down. I run past the news team, I run past the crowds of people, and I run right to the police officers ready to take Red Raven in. I hand him over while I quickly turn into my invisible self.

"Where'd she go?" One officer asks. It takes all of my energy to stay hidden. I want them to see the face of their one and only hero. To know I'm real.

"Doesn't matter. We've got our villain. Time to take him in." I watch as Red Raven is whisked away. I thought he would be more violent, shaking the cops off of him or mind controlling them to release him. Instead, he looks bewildered, like he just accepted his defeat. Suddenly, cheers break out through the whole street.

I wouldn't be celebrating just yet.

***

As much as I wanted to go home and think of a way to truly defeat Red Raven, I knew I had to go back to school. Little did I know everyone would be talking about me. Well, the girl who defeated the heinous villain, anyway.

"Del, come here!" Ash pulls me over to a corner in the hall because class change can be a little chaotic. The tiny hallways are always cramped with students after lunch because it's a longer period of time to get to class than usual.

She shows me footage of myself on top of the building, Red Raven dangling from my hands.

"I can't believe you did that. That was amazing! He looked petrified." I knew he had to be shaken up a little, but not enough to where he'd forget he could fly away.

Something wasn't right.

"But no one knows it was me, right?"

"No one. They're calling you Rapid Glare." Jonas walks up to us. I smile at the given name. I knew I'd get one.

"That's awesome! I wonder who came up with it." I jump up to high five Jonas and turn to high five Ash too.

"Your brother did, actually. He has a whole blog dedicated to you now. And, uh, may I mention he wonders if you'll have a sidekick on the way?" Jonas rocks back and forth on his feet, waiting for my answer.

I wrap my arms tight around his neck.

"Soon! We need to get to class. Ash, keep working on that design!" I grab his wrist, about to walk away.

"It's done! And Jonas made me design one for him, too," She rolls her eyes but smiles.

"I'll get the fabric tonight." She states, but I catch her arm before she walks off.

"No way. Two suits? That's too much money. Let me pay you."

She laughs, "No objections here. Just let me see how much it'll be. These suits are gonna look spectacular!" She squeals with delight. Suddenly my day can't get any better.

She skips off to her art class as Jonas and I walk to A.P biology. He throws his arm across my shoulders, bringing me close enough so he can whisper.

"I'll pay my fair share, too. Let us little guys do something." I grin as we walk into class.

"So where did Mickey go? I didn't see him after lunch." I ask Jonas.

A voice from behind us pipes up. "Wow, Della," I turn to face Sophia Brown. Just the sight of her makes me want to flip a table.

"You get the hottest guy in school to date you and then lose him? Some girlfriend you are." She rolls her eyes and I give her a deadly expression. I could easily run her up the flag pole by her designer jeans.

Jonas taps my arm, removing me from the situation. Sometimes I forget he can read my mind even though he talks about it all the time. He never seems to use it. That's probably what he wants us to think.

Once we sit down, we wait for boring, everyday notes to be placed on the Smart board. I take my usual seat next to Jonas in the front of the room.

I check my phone to see that Mickey never replied to me being sick. Surely he cared, but why didn't he look for me at least, or reply with concern? He was always there to worry about me.

"Della, stop worrying about Mickey. I think he went to the nurse to see if you were there." Jonas continues to hit down notes.

I look up from my notes. "How often do you read my thoughts?" I ask in astonishment.

His cheeks redden, "Hardly ever."

Liar, I think to myself. I look at him to see him twitch. He was reading my mind again, but can't admit to it. I oddly like this game.

"Somehow you don't even have to open your mouth to make my head hurt." Jonas says teasingly.

"Ditto." I reply with a chuckle, referring to one too many headaches he's purposely given me for no reason.

Mickey soon texts me in the middle of class. I sneak my phone under the table and turn off the brightness to read it.

I hope you're feeling better darling.

I bite my lip, keeping my smile from being too big.

I'm okay. Thank you. I send a kiss emoji beside the words. Okay, maybe I was still in a cupcake phase with Mickey.

Good, because I want to take you bowling tonight

Bowling? I mentally groan. Why bowling?

Because it's cute seeing you frustrated

I bite my lip once again. How about tomorrow night? I'm still not feeling all that great

Did I just lie to my boyfriend whom I am crazy about to hang out with my friends and talk about Red Raven? What am I doing to myself?

Oh I'm sorry Del I'll come over and take care of you if you want

All of a sudden my head is throbbing and I find it hard to see anything as flashing lights cloud my vision. I look over to Jonas who is twirling his pencil around between his fingers. He writes something down for me to see as my headache slowly eases.

You're not a liar, Del. If you say you're sick, you better be sick. Thank me after you've had quality time with your boyfriend.

I look at him in awe as my headache makes me sick to my stomach.

Point taken, Jonas. I won't lie anymore.

A/N
I'm trying to add a song for each chapter. If you have any recommendations for songs, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading!
Always, Sunny

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118 76 9
Jimi Leroy Travelling from Tokyo, Jimi Leroy found himself arriving in New York. With a launch party in the works for the DINA company, his mother tr...
819 155 21
Aren't you ever tired of the same old super hero story? The hero is cool looking with bulging muscles, and always wins. Like, always. Even if the sit...
305K 15.8K 66
WARNING: CONTAINING AMOUNTS OF SASS PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN TO MANKIND In the city of NYC--- Ok. Hold up. First of all, New York City. What, are ya gonna...
1K 56 70
**Now 3 books in 1!** *Super Jerk (✔️): Sarah Campbell moves from her hometown to St. Louis, where she meets Blue Bolt, the town's flagship super and...