Illegal Innocence (Student/Te...

By InkedValkyrie

What happens when you fall in love.... illegally? Do you avoid it, or continue with it? Avery Winters is faci... More

Author's Note (11.23.2017)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue

Chapter 27

100K 1.8K 465
By InkedValkyrie

Chapter 27

My phone vibrated from my pocket. I knew it was the same person who has been calling me every day for the past week, claiming they knew my secret about me and Elliott. I fished my phone out of my pocket and reluctantly picked it up.

"Look, I don't know who you are, but quit calling me already!" I shouted. "If you know my secret, why don't you just tell someone? Quit calling me about it!"

Silence. All I could hear on the other end was breathing. Then soft chuckling. That was something new, at least. I tried to recognize the voice, but I couldn't make it out completely. Then they spoke finally, and my heart stopped.

"Oh, Avery," he said. "So naive."

It was Hunter.

I almost dropped the phone. My worst nightmare was coming true. Hunter would surely make me regret everything that I've ever done to him, which includes breaking his heart. But did that even qualify as breaking his heart? He broke mine first, by cheating on me.

"Hunter," I breathed.

"And we have a winner," he said. I could hear him smiling through the phone, acting all cocky and what not. "It took you this long to figure it out? I'm disappointed in you, Avery."

"What do you want?" I asked. Tears threatened me, forming at the corners of my eyes, but I fought back, blinking hard. "What secret are you even talking about?"

"I think we both know," he replied. His voice was deadly serious and cold. It sent shivers throughout my whole body.

"I have a lot of secrets," I pointed out, keeping my voice level.

He let out a sigh of pride. It made me want to through my phone at the wall. "Meet me at the small diner a few miles from your house," he instructed.

"Why should I do that?" I asked, not thinking before I opened my mouth. We both knew very well why I should go.

He laughed harshly. "Tick tock, Avery. Keep me waiting and I might just let it slip."

I heard a click from the other end, then silence. I pulled the phone away from my ear quickly and dialed Elliott's number. A few rings, then he answered.

"Hey-"

"It's Hunter," I interrupted. "He's the one who knows."

Elliott let out a breath that was mixed with with horror and frustration. "This isn't good."

"I know," I agreed. Should I tell him that he wanted me to go to the diner? Of course I should. Maybe he would know what to do? "I'm meeting him at the diner. And if I don't hurry, things are going to get bad."

"Do you want me to come?" he asked urgently.

"No!" I shouted. "Are you crazy?! The second Hunter sees you he won't hear me out! He wants me... there," I added the last word in at the last second, although we both knew that I didn't have to. Elliott knew Hunter wanted me more than anything, even if I didn't feel the same way towards him.

After a few seconds, Elliott finally sighed in defeat. "Okay, Avery. Be safe. Call me as soon as he leaves," he said. Another second went by. "I love you."

I swallowed a sob, not wanting him to hear me cry. "I love you, too."
~
I slid into the brown leather booth and folded my hands on the table. Hunter sat across from me with a coy smile on his face. I resisted the urge to reach across the table and slap it off, but that wouldn't get me anywhere.

"Hello, Avery," he said, flashing me a smile with pearly-white teeth. I tried to force a smile, but it wouldn't come.

"Hi," I said bluntly. Before I could say anything else, a waitress, whom I'd recognized from coming here so often, walked up to out table, carrying two sodas. She set each of them in front of us and walked away.

"I ordered you a Diet Coke," he chided. "I knew it was your favorite."

"Quit with the games, Hunter," I said, trying to keep myself from spitting at him. "Why am I here?"

He leaned across the table and I stayed where I was. His face was only inches from mine, but I didn't care. It was a better chance that if I had to slap him, I'd have a clear shot.

"You can't fool me, Avery." His eyes narrowed. "I saw you and him, kissing."

I tensed. So he did know. "Me and who kiss?" I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about. Maybe if I denied it enough, he would think it wasn't me?

"Mr. Taylor, Avery, don't play dumb."

I tried to stay calm, but my whole body shook. I swallowed a gasp. "What are you talking about?"

He sat back a little, but was still in perfect slapping range. "Remember on your birthday when I delivered the food to your 'uncle's' house?" he asked. I nodded. "Well, turns out, I had to turn around because I forgot part of your order. I saw you almost hit that lady just as I was turning the street. Thankfully, I was in another car so you wouldn't notice me. I sat there and watched the whole thing."

I was speechless. He saw the whole thing, and it was completely my fault. After he gave me my birthday present- which I still haven't opened- I thought he'd changed. He was right- I was naive. I felt stupid and betrayed. Was he doing this out of the obsession to get me back, or to just be plain cruel?

"So are you going to tell everyone, now that you know?" I asked in a shaky whisper.

He shrugged, leaning back closer to me. "Not if you do what I say."

"And what would that be?" I crossed my arms, but I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Well, for starters, you're going to break up with him.

"What?!" I couldn't help but shout it. I got a few stares from people at nearby tables, so I lowered my voice. "No, I won't do that, Hunter!"

"If you don't," he said. His lips curved into a wicked smile. "I'll ruin his life; and in turn, ruin yours."

I gulped, feeling the tears forming. "Hunter, why are you doing this?" I whispered.

His eyes became cold, sending shivers down my back. "Because I want you. And this is the perfect way to do it." I opened my mouth to protest, but he held his hand up, silencing me. "You don't know how much I want you back, Avery. I thought you would have come back, but now I know why you wouldn't."

"And you think I'll love you again after this?" I sneered.

"Oh, you will," he said, sounding assured. "And if you don't, I'll come out with your little secret."

"So let me get this straight," I said, placing my hands on the wooden table. "You're blackmailing me with this because you want to be a couple again?"

He bobbed his head like he was thinking, then nodded. "Yeah, that's pretty much it."

"You're insane," I said, narrowing my eyes in a death glare. He smiled again, letting out a laugh.

"At least I'll have you."

I felt defeated. He'd won because Elliott and I were careless. If I didn't do what Hunter said, he'd tell everyone about me and Elliott. He could lose his job, and probably go to jail. If that ever happened, I don't think I could ever live with myself. I finally let out a shaky sigh and closed my eyes, looking away from him.

"Fine," I said. "I'll do what you want. Just don't do anything to ruin Elliott's life. You're grudge is with me, not him."

"Oh, I know," he said reassuringly. "And the first thing you're going to do, Avery," He leaned across the table again, "is call him right now. And break up with him."

My eyes widened and the tears finally escaped. If losing his job and going to jail didn't ruin his life, this surely would. Elliott loved me... so much that as soon as I called him he would know that I didn't want to do this.

"Right now," he said more harshly.

Seeing as how there was no other way to do this, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed his number. It only took two rings, then he picked up. His voice was frantic.

"Avery?" he asked.

"Elliott," I said, my voice filled with regret. "I'm sorry, but we can't see each other anymore."

"What?" he said disbelievingly. "Avery, that's ridiculous! Is Hunter making you do this? Answer me, Avery!"

"No, this is all on my own," I replied. Hunter's eyebrows shot up and he gave me a triumphant smile.

"Avery," he said, calming down. "Don't lie to me, I know he's making you do this. And I won't let him. I'll quit my job, Avery. I'll do anything. Avery, please don't do this."

His voice was muffled, and I knew he was beginning to cry. The sound of his sad voice made me want to curl up in a ball and die. "I'm sorry, but I don't have feelings for you anymore." I didn't think I would've been able to say it, but Hunter's face was beginning to scare me. His eyes were filled will ambition and hunger- for me.

"Avery," he said softly. My heart lurched. I couldn't hear his voice anymore, or I wouldn't ever be able to do this. "I'll do anything for you, Avery. I love you."

I took in a shaky breath. I wasn't sure if I would be able to say what I needed to say. I didn't want to, but I knew I had to- even if it broke his heart. Finally blinking back tears, I said, "But I don't love you."

I close the phone and tried not to break out in tears in front of Hunter. It wasn't working, and I didn't want him to see me cry. I stood up and slid out of the booth, then ran out of the diner. Hunter was close behind me, grabbing my wrist and pulling me against him, shushing me gently, telling me it would all work out soon.

"You belong with me anyway," he said, not in all way cheerful.

I cried into his chest, trying to imagine it as Elliott's chest. They didn't smell at all the same, so it was hard to do. Hunter grabbed my shoulders and became eye-level with me. Before I could stop him, he grabbed my phone from my hand. I reached for it, but he turned away.

"Hey, give it back!" I yelled, trying to reach around his body. He turned away from me every time I tried to get it. He pressed some buttons, then smiled and closed the phone. I reached for my phone a final time, but he didn't turn away this time. I grabbed it and snatched it out of his palm. "What'd you do?!"

"Something you may hate me for, but I don't care. From this moment on, you and I are together," he said finally. "And no one will break us up."

"Yeah, until you decide to cheat on me again," I mumbled. I looked up at him to see his shocked face become hurt.

"Avery," he said. "If that's how you feel, then would you like to just take it slow? I want to gain your trust back."

I gazed up at him and nodded. Before I could lower my head again, he kissed me. The sweet spark that we once shared wasn't there any longer. I couldn't stand the taste of his lips. They were like poison to me. I pushed against his chest and covered my lips his my hand.

"I can't kiss you," I said, shaking my head. He shrugged, agreeing.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow Avery. It's been fun," he sad, turning away. I watched him walk across the parking lot and get into his car, then drive away. The urge to sit on the ground and cry was overwhelming, but I knew I had to get home. Right as I stepped off of the sidewalk, I got a text. Hoping it was from Elliott, I opened my phone. To my disappointment, it was from Hunter.

If I ever see you near him, our deal is off. That includes staying after school.

My heart dropped. Would Hunter know if I called him? Taking the risk, I opened my phone and went through my contacts. I gasped, knowing what Hunter did with my phone.

He'd erased Elliott's number.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

438K 4.4K 46
Avery Blake never had a perfect life, so when she starts to develop feelings for her new, hot music teacher and things begin to go wrong; let's just...
149 1 7
A young teacher slowly falls for his somewhat attractive, smart, funny student, while she is falling in love with him. Will their relationship work o...
300K 8.8K 53
COMPLETED **be aware i wrote this when i was much much younger, if you want to read a better written story then please check out my current book "ch...
75.9K 2.1K 20
INSPIRED BY THE SERIES PRETTY LITTLE LIARS (Aria and Ezra's relationship) Avery has graduated high school. She is an English major who is living with...