Double Jinx (Wattys2017)

By The_Queen_97

It's been ten years since silent Genevieve has stepped foot in the town where all hell broke loose. Memories... More

Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Sorry!
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
New book!

Chapter 12

10K 413 704
By The_Queen_97

I expected to sleep soundly that night but my mind had other plans for me.

    Filly was snatched from my hands and thrown against the ground as the monster stormed towards me. No, not towards me.

    Towards Ace.

    The monster shoved me aside, my small body flying through the air at the force. I hit the sidewalk hard. The concrete grated against my skin, tearing my palms to shreds and drawing blood. But that was nothing compared to what would happen to Ace.

    "You're suppose to be at home, you little shit." The monster roared, grabbing onto Ace's arm. His other hand rose high into the air before it launched down. Skin connected against skin, a loud smack rang out. Then Ace was no longer standing.

    His limp body hung in the arms of his father, closed eyes and a very red cheek. The monster stood tall, hoisting Ace's body up in the process. Then Mr. Hunt looked down at me and smiled, "What a pretty little friend my son has. If only you were mine too, oh the things I'd do."

    His smile turned wicked as he stepped over me and back towards the truck.

    My eyes snapped open, my whole body jolting awake. I was covered in a thick layer of sweat, causing my hair to stick to my neck and forehead, while my heart pumped at an unnatural rate. I panted, over and over again, trying so hard to get the image of that man's smile out of my head.

    I rolled over in bed, burying my face into the pillow. My fingers clawed at the sheets in an attempt to dull the overwhelming sensation pressing against my chest. My lungs burned, like frostbite, and the pressure on my body was almost too much to bare. I kicked off the blanket, trying to extinguish the flames scorching my stomach even though my fingers and toes were freezing to the point where my entire body trembled with a chill I couldn't escape.

    The joys of waking up in the middle of a panic attack.

    Time ticked on. Eventually my breathing slowed as did my heart. The weight lifted from my chest though the cold remained which conflicted with the inferno in my gut. I loosened the death grip I held on my sheets, letting my muscles and limbs slacken.

    Damn ... that one was really bad.

    The nightmare had been short but not short enough. I remembered that day so clearly. It was the first time Ace's father ever threatened me personally. Usually it was only Ace, always Ace, and I just melted into the background. As a child, I had been grateful for that but I didn't know better. I didn't realize the amount of pain and suffering Ace went through each and every day.

    But on that particular day, the one I just dreamed of, we shared an equal fear.

    That smile, that damn smile. It was so ... evil. There was no other way to describe it. A shiver ran down my spine, causing goosebumps to dance across my skin. I laid face down for a long time, taking deep breaths to calm my nerves.

    It was only a dream. It's over. He can't get me anymore.

    Deep breath.

    Shallow breath.

    I rolled myself back over, easing my body back onto the pillows. As I did so, something caught my eye. A flickering light. Of course. I didn't even have to read the label to know which one it was. The smell of Ace's cologne wafted through the air but surprisingly ... it brought me peace. This was the one time where I was actually relieved to see the candles acting on their own.

    My fingers reached for my phone to check the time. It was only four in the morning. It would take some time to fall back asleep, especially after a nightmare like that. But I couldn't sit up for the next five hours, we had church today and if I fall asleep during the sermon grandma will have my head.

    But as I pulled the quilt back over my body with every intention of trying to sleep, I heard my phone ding as a message came through. Who would be texting me at this hour?

    I should have known.

    Text me when you wake up Bunny.

    My fingers reached up to rub at my eyes, just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Then I pinched my arm, just to make sure I wasn't still dreaming. All was fine. I wasn't seeing things nor was I still sleeping. I pushed myself onto my elbows, hearing my back crack pleasurably after a long night of restless sleep.

    Should I wait to reply to Ace? I couldn't imagine why he was awake this early in the morning but I had a feeling it wasn't good. Maybe I should just go back to bed and reply back to him in the morning.

    No, I couldn't do that. My hands were already being drawn towards the phone as I weighed my options. When it came to Ace, my will power practically vanished.

    I'm awake. I replied simply, hoping I hadn't texted back too quickly. But what if he were in dire need of assistance and I had taken too long to answer him? What if he needed me to sneak him out of some governmental lab? What if he was being kidnapped?

    Oh boy ... I definitely need some more sleep, my mind wasn't making any sense. If he needed help or was being kidnapped, he'd call the police. Or Creston. Or Holly. Not me. What would I be able to do? Hide in the corner and cry like I've been doing all my life?

    Wow, my brain is really morbid at four in the morning.

    My phone dinged, Oh. I didn't think you'd be awake. Can't sleep?

    If only he knew. I dropped my head into my hands for a few moments, fighting the urge to close my eyes. But every time I did so, that damn smile flashed like a bolt of lighting and I swung my gaze through the room to double check that I was still alone. I sighed.

    Not even a little. What about you? Can't sleep?

    I waited for a response, expecting a short answer about how he couldn't sleep but it was no big deal. That's how Ace played off his problems, by discrediting them. However, I didn't get a text back from him. Instead, I got a call.

    I tapped the green button and asked, "Hello?"

    A deep chuckle came through the speaker, "You sound tired as hell. Maybe you should go back to sleep."

    I collapsed onto my bed, snuggling deeper into the blanket and the cocoon of pillows surrounding me, "I wish I could."

    "Nightmares?"

    "Yeah." I whispered, picking at a hangnail on my thumb, "You?"

    "Same." Ace replied. He sounded groggy too, as though he too had just awakened from a terrifying memory of his father. The line was silent for a while, all I could hear was breathing on the other side. But it was comforting, calming. Almost like a lullaby, "I'm sorry to call you so early."

    If I wasn't laying down, I would have shrugged, "It's okay. I was up anyways."

    Ace was quiet again. I didn't blame him. I was practically falling asleep, I could only assume he was doing the same. Then a few moments later I heard him ask so quietly that I almost missed it, "Do you remember any good things from our childhood? Because sometimes I worry that I'm starting to forget."

    So I wasn't the only one.

    "Not really." I told truthfully, still picking at my hangnail to distract myself. My mouth was so dry, I really wanted a glass of water but I didn't dare wander this house in the dark. Too many strange things kept happening. I licked my lips to bring back moisture, "But I remember you and that's a good thing."

    A breath released and I could hear the smile in his voice when he said, "I remember you too."

    I made him smile. That made me smile.

    With a different kind of fire boiling in my gut, I spoke, "I remember our games and how you'd let me win sometimes because I was a cry baby."

    Ace laughed at this, "You weren't a cry baby, you were just ... a sore loser."

    "Which is a synonym for cry baby." I brought the blanket up over my head now, enclosing me in a world where monsters didn't roam and magical candles didn't dwell. There was no fear or anxiety or pain, this world held only me and only Ace, "I remember all the times Jason beat you in baseball."

    "He didn't beat me, I'd let him win." Ace countered, "I mean if you were a sore loser, I can only imagine how Jason would have reacted. I did it for the good of mankind."

    I rolled my eyes, "I remember all the times you stole grandma's pie off the windowsill and she'd chase you around the house with a broom."

    Ace laughed again, "Ahh yes, the good old days ... I guess there were some pretty good times mixed in with the bad, huh?"

    Without thinking, I nodded, "There were some bad days, but there were a lot of good ones too." My throat closed up and I had to swallow several times in order to get out my next words, "I remember playing with you under the pine tree in the front yard. You had just found that candy."

    "Yeah, I remember that too." Ace spoke with such fondness in his voice, enough to make my heart ache, "A man in the market gave me a ring pop on the way over to your house that day and ... I asked you to marry me, under the pine tree."

    My eyes fluttered closed, surely my heart would burst, "Yeah."

    I could picture him scratching at his head, "That was a good day. A good memory. I think about it more than you know."

    My mouth opened but no words escaped. My throat was dry and my tongue felt like leather. I couldn't speak. Did Ace understand what that sentence meant to me? Did he know how much joy filled my soul at hearing those words leave him?

    Did he understand that technically we were married long before he met Holly?

    No, bad Genevieve. No thoughts like that. Just take a breath and move on.

    "Yeah. Me too." I managed to mutter, forcing the words out. I couldn't control my thoughts during the day and now that lack of authority was plaguing me during the night as well. What would become of me if even my own mind betrayed me?

    "You sound tired, Bunny. I don't want to keep you up. You should go back to bed." Ace informed quietly, his tone dipping low. He was right, I needed sleep. Especially since I had to show Jason the whole town tomorrow, after church of course. But my body fought exhaustion, mostly due to the unnerving feeling that maybe I wasn't so alone in my room after all.

    My teeth chattered, why was it so cold?

    "Will you stay on the phone with me? Only until I fall asleep?" I wondered quietly, shoving my back against the wall and tucking my toes under the hem of the blanket. With the wall at my back and pillows trapping me behind their soft guard, I felt safer.

    There was a little rustling on the other end of the phone, as if Ace too were hunkering down for a long night. Then I heard him whisper, "Of course, Bunny. Just get some rest, I'll be here."

    "Promise?" The word escaped my mouth before I had time to think. But even as I asked this, my mind was already drifting away, accepting sleep as it washed over me. A tingling feeling started in my toes, then swept up my body until I felt as though I were sinking into the bed. But it was a good feeling, a welcomed feeling.

    Ace chuckled deeply, the sound driving me deeper towards sleep, "Have I ever lied to you before?"

    But before I could answer him, a heaviness captured my eyes and along with it, brought sweet unconsciousness.

*****

    The next morning began the same as last week. Grandma came barreling into my room in her Sunday best, encouraging me, rather sternly might I add, to get ready for church. I took her words seriously, not doubting her methods of persuasion if I remained in bed a moment longer. Of course I was exhausted, and the warmth of my bed called to me like a siren's song.

    But grandma's threats called to me louder.

    In minutes I had washed my face, thrown my hair up into a proper bun, and slipped into a sundress different from the one I wore last week. Then I slipped into a pair of cute sandals I brought with me from Colorado and skipped downstairs for a hardy breakfast.

    Jason was already in the dining room, dressed in a pair of dark slacks and a blue button down t-shirt. Anyone else would look like a nerd, but not my brother. He looked like he could take on the world. If only some of that confidence could brush off on me.

    "Morning, pipsqueak. How was your night?" Jason asked, taking an exaggerated bite of his bagel. Then he leaned towards me, smirk on his face, and wiggled his eyebrows, "And just who were you talking to?"

    Well I'll be damned ...

    "No one ... um, yeah. No one." I fumbled over my words, busying myself with a glass of orange juice. Had my brother heard everything? But how though? His room was down the hall.

    Jason seemed to guess this question for he whispered smugly, "Thin walls dear sister, sturdy but thin."

    Grandma peeked into the room just then, "We got to go, darlin's. Church starts in an hour and I want the good seat. Donna can't save the whole pew for us so let's hurry it up."

    The three of us quickly exited the house and all piled into grandma's truck. Jason took the wheel though, allowing grandma to sit in the passenger seat while I rode in the back. Jason had always be respectful like that, it was one of the things I loved about him.

    The church parking lot was just as full as last week, if not more. It took forever to find a parking spot and even longer to weave our way through the crowd of mingling townsfolk to get inside. Grandma marched us right up to the front row, a smile beaming across her face when she saw the space left empty for us.

    "Donna, you're an angel sent from above." Grandma informed her friend as we sat down. Donna looked a little rough. Her hair was in a mess and her eyes were dull with sorrow. I gave her props just for showing up instead of locking herself in her house. Grandma pulled Jason down next to her, "Did you get to meet my grandson yesterday?"

    Jason let out a small laugh, "Yeah she did ... before she puked all over my shoes."

    Donna's face paled, "Oh my goodness. I am so sorry, I didn't mean to drink so much-"

    "Nonsense. A good drink is never regrettable." Grandma insisted.

    She didn't hear Jason when he leaned towards me and said, "Tell that to my shoes." We shared a small laugh before others, mostly grandma's friends, started asking Jason questions. He spoke with them freely, talking about work and his desire to go to school and how life has been.

    He was so good at socializing.

    At everything really.

    Meanwhile, I sat next to him, completely silent, begging the Lord up above that no one turned their questions on me. I was progressing, sure, but that didn't mean talking was easy. I was still perfectly okay with hiding behind my silence. Besides, Jason could talk enough for the both of us, he's been doing so for the past ten years.

    "Good morning to all." A voice boomed. The church quieted as the pastor took his place at the front of the congregation. He looked around the room, smiling at those in the pews. His eyes finally came to rest on us and he neared, though he didn't come to me. He stepped in front of Donna and took her hands in his, "I am sorry for your loss. But know that Ted is with God now, looking down upon us all."

    "No offense your honor holiness sir, but Ted is only lookin' down upon us because he got the munchies in the middle of the night." Grandma folded her hands in her lap and nodded towards Donna, "He should have eaten some leftovers from Donna's dinner instead of wanderin' the streets at night. A southern man knows better. But that's just my two cents sir."

    The pastor laughed quietly, as did most of the church. Then the pastor nodded, patting Donna's hands, "Well I think we can all agree that Ted wasn't the smartest sheep in the flock."

    Donna laughed quietly, her bottom lip trembling even though there was a genuine smile on her face. This was her way of remembering her husband, with friends and family by her side, joking about Ted's apparently dimwitted time on earth. This was her way of coping.

    Well, and alcohol. A lot of alcohol.

    The pastor continued on with his sermon for the day. Memories flashed through my mind of when Jason and I would sit here as kids, trapped by our parents on either side. So we created different games to play while we waited for the sermon to be over. But things were different now. We couldn't play, give a blind eye to the sermon, and expect all of our troubles to be whisked away. Now we had to face them.

    I still didn't know what to think of Ace's possible involvement in Ted's murder. Just yesterday I managed to convince myself that Ace was innocent yet here I sat, in front of the woman who lost her husband only days ago, and my confidence in my childhood friend was slipping. I wanted to ask Jason for his thoughts on the matter but I didn't want to include him, and I really didn't want to sway his opinions of Ace.

    After all he's been through, Ace deserved at least that much.

    "So I'll end today with a piece of advice I learned from my father's last words nearly five years ago. Live each day to the fullest, because you'll never know when it might be your last." Pastor Jim turned sympathetic eyes towards Donna, "God is good."

    "All the time." The crowd replied in unison.

    Pastor Jim held up his hands, "And all the time."

    "God is good." We spoke as one.

    "Amen." Pastor Jim loosened his tie, smiling at the audience before him, "It was nice to see you all and I wish you safety and peace for another week."

    With the church service over and the crowds spilling into the parking lot to mingle and chat, I found most of the townsfolk asking Jason and I questions about how our lives have been since we left Barren Valley. Luckily, Jason answered most of their inquiries while I stood behind him and smiled. That's how it's been for so long, it felt natural for Jason to take the lead while I stood back.

    Quietly.

    "What are you kids up to today?" Grandma asked after we managed to get back to the truck. The sun was high, the heat was climbing, and the church was nearly vacant now. The townsfolk has dispersed for the day, returning to the market or to their homes. Their patterns were kind of nice though, it felt good to know the inner workings of this town once again.

    Jason shrugged, "I think we're going to meet up with Ace. Wander the streets, check out the sites. Nothing too big or troublesome I'd say."

    Grandma gave him a look, "I know you better than that, boy. You better watch yourselves, the locals may be forgivin' but they all remember your shenanigans from back in the day. Mr. Dundes is still tryin' to grow back that patch of hair you and Ace so graciously removed for him during his afternoon nap."

    A snort escaped Jason while I bit back my own laugh. My brother wiped an imaginary tear from his eye, "Those were the days. In our defense, Mr. Dundes practically dared us."

    "I don't care if he begged you." Grandma thumped Jason on the back of the head lightly. She pointed a finger at him but I saw the smile fighting its way onto her face, "I know everyone in this town. If I hear so much as a whisper about you gettin' into trouble, so help me I'll-"

    "You worry too much, grandma." Jason leaned in, kissing her cheek, "I've grown up since the last time you saw me. I promise, we won't being shaving anyone's head or stealing any pies. You have my word."

    This time, grandma let the smile appear. She reach up and tapped Jason's cheek twice, "Good boy."

    As we loaded into the truck and Jason started off towards home, I sent Ace a quick text telling him that church was over. He replied back almost instantly, saying that he'd meet us at grandma's house. It took a little longer than usual to get back due to the main road being momentarily blocked off so a group of children could pass into the park centered in the middle of town.

    When we finally made it back, grandma went into the kitchen to fix herself some lunch while Jason and I went upstairs to change out of our church clothes. Fortunately, when I reached my room, I saw no candles waiting for me though the group of candles on my shelf looked eager to be lit.

    I've been a little more accepting of them, seeing as how they never leave me alone. Do I know where they're coming from? No. Do I know how they're lighting themselves? No. Is Elena right about the thing that lurks in my room? Probably.

    But was I scared? No.

    I didn't feel threatened by these candles nor by the 'thing' that Elena fears so greatly. The candles are labeled with different phrases that are usually helpful and uplifting. So until they started showing up with names like 'Fear Me' or 'I'll Eat Your First Born Child', I wasn't too worried.

    Stripping free from the sundress and sandals I had worn to church and pulling my hair free from my bun, I stared into the wardrobe holding my clothes. What should I wear today? It was supposed to be hot, ungodly hot. As always. But with summer approaching, the weather is only going to get worse so I might as well get used to sweating 24/7. I reached for a pair of light colored shorts and pulled them on over my thighs. Then I debated on whether I should wear a t-shirt or a tank top. I mean, if I was going to be in the sun all day, might as well work on my tan right?

    But as I reached forward for my chosen tank top, I heard something from behind me. The sound of hinges squeaking against one another. Oh no. No, no, no!

    "Hey Bunny, you almost ready to-" Ace stopped dead in his tracks halfway through the doorway, mid sentence, with one hand on the door knob. His gaze met mine then instantly dropped to my torso, covered only by a blue bra I had purchased from Walmart three years ago. His eyes widened but that didn't stop them from raking down my body, so slowly. His mouth fell open and his cheeks reddened. Time seemed to freeze as I stood still as a statue, enduring the most embarrassing moment of my life.

    My entire face went up in flames.

    Ace jumped backwards, jerking the door mostly closed so he could no longer see into the room, "Shit Gen, I'm sorry. I didn't realize ... I mean, Jason said ... I didn't mean to ... um ... I didn't mean to look."

    Fuck, fuck, fuck.

    I quickly yanked the tank top over my head, suddenly wishing I could dress in sweatpants and a turtleneck. But I couldn't deny the curiosity building in my stomach. The way Ace had looked at me ... for such a long time ... maybe it was the shock, maybe not, but I could have sworn I saw something else in his eyes. Something I haven't seen before.

    Or maybe that was my own eyes making things up.

    I slowly strolled towards the door, reaching a shaking hand for the knob before pulling it open to reveal Ace on the other side. He was leaning against the wall, his still wide eyes directed downwards while his fists clenched at his sides, "I'm sorry, Gen. I should have knocked."

    What was I supposed to say? Assure him that it was alright and not a big deal? Tell him next time he better knock or I'd have Jason kick his ass? Beg him to come back into my room and remove my clothes all together?

    Ha. No.

    "It's okay." I murmured, crossing my arms in front of me as though I were still standing before him, shirtless. I felt exposed, vulnerable. Though I fought it, the blush returned to my cheeks, dusting my face in a bright red as I averted my eyes to anywhere besides Ace.

    "Um ... we should probably get going." Ace mumbled. He wasn't looking at me either.

    Well I'm glad this wasn't awkward or anything.

    I tucked my hair behind my ears before closing my door behind me and starting off down the stairs. Ace followed, quietly. I felt his stare burning a hole in the back of my head, I couldn't see the look on his face but it was probably quite similar to the one plastered across mine.

    Jason stepped out of his room as we reached his door. He smiled brightly, "You kids ready?" I nodded and due to Ace's silence, I can only assume he nodded as well. However, my brother has always been intuitive and Jason rose a single eyebrow quizzically, "What's the matter you two?"

    "Nothing happened." Ace blurted, his voice cracking in the middle. Now Jason rose both eyebrows and I think I died a little inside. A few moments passed before Ace shuffled past us, grumbling under his breath, "Fuck."

    Once Ace had turned the corner and jogged down the stairs, Jason turned back towards me, "What was that all about?"

    I swallowed and nodded, "Yes." Then retreated after Ace. No wonder Jason was so suspicious, Ace and I were about a subtle as two bulls in a China shop.

    My feet carried me briskly down the stairs to where Ace was waiting by the front door, flanked by grandma on one side and Elena on the other. Grandma finished giving Ace a quick hug before she strolled into the kitchen to finish her lunch. Elena didn't follow after her. Instead she stood next to Ace, her arms crossed over her chest, her smug gaze layered in a glint of joy.

    "You be busy, Genveev." Elena informed as she approached me. Jason passed us to stand by Ace, leaving Elena and I alone near the foot of the stairs. Elena wrapped her bony arms around me in a hug, her mouth coming to rest near my ear as she whispered, "Very busy. First with candles, now with boy. Boy real good, Genveev, but you be careful. Seduction is dangerous."

    My heart skipped a beat within my chest. I pulled away from her, meeting her smug eyes with my own bewildered ones, "I'm not seducing anyone."

    Elena broke into a wide smile, "Then be sure to lock door while you change, boy tends to wander."

    My mouth dropped open. Elena knew? How? Ace walked in on me only minutes ago and Elena wasn't there. How could she possibly know what had occurred unless ...

    "Are you spying on me?" I questioned quietly while Jason and Ace started up a conversation about sports. That would explain a lot; the candles, Elena's uncanny ability to know things she shouldn't.

    Elena stepped farther away from me, brushing her hands over my shoulders with a still prominent grin on her face, "No, I no spy. But I have others who ... watch over. Better word, watch over not spy. Never spy."

    What the hell was she talking about?

    "Genevieve, ready to go?" Jason asked from the doorway.

    I couldn't hide the fear and confusion washed over my features. Elena patted my shoulder once more before she stepped around me and disappeared into the kitchen, taking with her any self confidence I previously held. My blood ran cold as my pulse quickened. I didn't know what Elena was talking about and I wasn't sure I wanted to know.

    She had others who watched over? What did that mean? And how could she have these 'other' people watching over me while in my room? It wasn't exactly spacious, there weren't places for people to hide. Had they installed cameras in my room? Were they watching me right now? Did they watch me while I showered and undressed everyday?

    A shiver ran down my spine?"

    "Hey, you okay?" Jason asked, waving his hand in front of my face in an attempt to get my attention. I blinked a few times to clear my mind, shifting my focus to Jason then to Ace who was watching me carefully from behind my brother.

    I absentmindedly reached up to brush my hair behind my ears again, "I'm fine. We should go."

    "Gen-" My brother began.

    "I said I'm fine." I reiterated, brushing past him and past Ace without another word. I didn't know what was going on with Elena or with these candles but I sure as hell wasn't going to tell Jason or Ace about it until I had evidence. They'd say I'm crazy, ship me off to some nuthouse before I had time to explain.

    Until I had proof, my lips were sealed.

    No problem, I was good at being silent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the late update but better late than never right? College got extremely hectic this past week and Thanksgiving is coming up so I've been getting ready for that as well so my time is spread pretty thin.

But thank you all for sticking with me, I appreciate it!!

So a penny for your thoughts?? How did you like this chapter? ;)

Vote, comment, and follow please!!

Thanks my lovelies!

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 669 48
Genevieve loves her friends, her family, wants nothing more than to live a "perfect life". She's painfully shy, has never had a boyfriend, and works...
323K 7K 43
Lena Mercer didn't think the tables would turn upside down. An accident was all it took for the person who Lena loved the most to disappear. A mistak...
14.9K 300 33
When a strange disease called IAAN started killing kids all over the United States, the government isn't scared of all the kids who are dead, but the...
758 41 20
"Of course, my life couldn't get any worse. It's like the universe is targeting me uh. What did I do in order to deserve this? God I hate my life." ...