order ups | ✓

By scrrilous

Highest Ranks: #36 in shortstory!! 7.6.19 #10 in chicklit!! 8.21.19 [book three in the UPS series] ••• one... More

Order Ups
Cast
00 | 01
00 | 02
00 | 03
00 | 04
00 | 05
00 | 06
00 | 07
00 | 08
00 | 09
00 | 10
00 | 11
00 | 12
00 | 13
00 | 14
BONUS
the end

00 | 00

12.3K 263 16
By scrrilous

Told is third person view. Sometimes in first person of Wyatt or Lynn. I'll let you know before each chapter. ;3

•••

Third Person - (The Air.)

•••

00 | 00

It was a normal busy day for Lynn at the Saph Café. Her usual pearl white apron having some smudges of coffee or icing from the cupcakes they usually give to the young toddlers that barely reach the counter sitting on the stools. Lynn always had a soft side for kids, not the snotty teenagers that couldn't lift their faces from their phones, but the kind that always laughed at a silly face Lynn pulled behind her boss' back. Lynn had a special touch to the café. A unique touch to the counter, a clear bowl of lollipops, Lynn's favorite candy of all time.

Her partner-in-crime, as she calls her best friend, Rachel, who also works with her at the Saph- their little nickname for the café, has her own special touch as well. Rachel is more of the talented, peppy, pink girl. She loves to decorate each name tag of the crew at Saph. The boss, Travis, tends to roll his eyes at her, especially when she throws a huge fit when she doesn't get the hours she wants.

Lynn has always considered Travis her godfather. He was there for her when she needed a ride home, somewhere to stay, or just a shoulder to cry on. Lynn's life was always pretty rough at home. Her mom always having a drink in her hand and her dad basically never around. Her younger brother had to attend middle school, attached to her high school, but usually came to the café afterwards, along with Lynn. Today being a Sunday afternoon, so Henry, her brother, was at home or a friend's house.

As Lynn refilled the coffee container, she blew a piece of her brunette hair to the side as it was all pulled back into a hair tie except for a small stubborn strand. Rachel popped her bubble gum as she trotted over to the cash register to collect money from the nice old couple that always came after their church service. Lynn smiled as they picked a lollipop out of the jar for the small- grandchild she assumed- girl reaching up to them. Lynn's eyes widened as she felt a hot liquid travel over her hands, soon reacting and looking to the coffee pot and quickly shutting it off and pulling back, releasing a short yelp.

"Crap!" Lynn muttered under her breath as she wiped her hand on her apron and running to the sink to cool them under the cold water. Sighing as the water ran over her skin, Rachel came up beside her and stared at her hands.

"Happen again, huh?" Rachel said, blowing a big bubble of her pure pink gum, popping it in Lynn's face. Lynn rolled her eyes and nodded to her annoying friend.

"You should be more careful." Chase, a fellow waiter helping them out on the busy Sunday, said. He was a year older then Rachel and Lynn, and about a foot taller too, but he always acted a lot younger around the girls.

"Yeah, well. I'm distracted." Lynn said as she dried her hands and turned off the sink. Walking to the coffee pot and wiping the handle and sides she held it and turned to Chase. "Its not my fault I have to babysit you twenty-four seven."

Chase has always been a slacker. He would deliver a meal and then go to the back to take a break while he 'made the next meal'. Lynn would usually hound on him or kick him when he wouldn't pay attention. His tables were in the corners since he was a little new, but when they were full, he won't take a notice to it. The one time, the costumers actually left because he never came for half an hour. Half an hour. Whenever Lynn sees him slacking in the kitchen by juggling spoons or swinging his towel around like helicopter blades, she would remind him of that one time and he would roll his eyes and get back to work, or she would just shove him out to do his job.

Chase rolled his eyes and picked up a meal from the order window where Fred, the cook, hide behind in his 'man cave' as he called the kitchen. "Please, Lynn. At least I don't trip over my own feet thirty times a day."

He wasn't wrong there. Lynn thought. She had a tendency of falling or dropping something from her clumsy footwork.

"Table four, Lynn! Pick up the pace you two!" Travis scolded them as he made his way to the back, no doubt refilling the salt on one of the tables. People that came to Saph, loved salt.

"Sir, yes, sir!" Chase hollered to Travis' retreating back. He looked to Lynn and gave her a look and smirked. Lynn rolled her eyes and went to her tables, refilling their coffees and getting orders for extra fries or some more whip-cream on someone's desert. As Lynn made her way to her table four, she took in the person in the booth.

A young man it seemed, brown- almost blonde- hair. He was dressed nicely as he played with a mint wrapper Lynn liked to leave on the tables for the waiting costumers. Lynn approached and stood next to the table and pulled her note book and pen out. She watched as the boy's eyes scanned the menu later out in front of him, probably deciding what he wished to eat for his lunch.

"Hello, welcome to the Saph's Café. I'm Lynn, and I'll be your waitress today. Can I start you off with something to drink?" Lynn fretted, drawing the boy's blue eyes to her. He sat back in the booth making a squeak noise as it moved under his weight. Smiling to her he looked back at the menu.

"Uh, yeah. Can I have some chocolate milk?" He said to her, pointing to the menu options as Lynn raised an eyebrow at his beverage option. "And for my order, I'd like some potato soup with some crackers." He looked up to her and crossed his arms, his bright smile still on his lips. "Please." He added.

Lynn snapped out of her surprise and looked down to her notebook as she jotted down his orders. "Will that be all?" She asked still writing stuff down.

"Yeah, thanks." He said, watching Lynn carefully as she smiled to him and walked away and traveled behind the counter to hang the small paper she ripped out of her notebook on the rack of other orders. Fred soon came up and rand the bell, yelling out into the front.

"Rachel! Table six, order up!"

Lynn flinched at his volume and the closeness of it. She made her way to her other table, taking their order of scrambled eggs and bacon. More people flooded into the café as Chase went to the back as someone sat at one of his tables he just cleaned from the last person. Lynn rolled her eyes and ran back, pushing through the small doors that swung out and then back to a close once walked through.

"Chase! Table nine just became in use! You're needed at the front!" She called into the vacant room, sounds of pans and scraping of a flipper coming from the kitchen, a good smell filling her nose as she walked by into the break room. She sees Chase sitting on the table, his phone in his hand as he taps his fingers aggressively onto the screen. Lynn becomes annoyed and angry that he can no care so much. Walking to his side and ripping the phone out of his hands and turning it off, she looks at the now wide-eyed Chase with a stern face.

"Work. Now!" She yelled at him. Putting his phone in her apron pocket she went back out into the main area, refilling the pastries containment with boxes of them under the counter. Chase soon comes up beside her, his hand on the counter as he waits with his hand out.

"What?" Lynn asks him, gently putting cupcakes in a line in the window shelves onto of the counter. Chase sighs.

"My phone? Give it." He says, like it should be obvious.

"You seriously thinks I'll give back your main distraction from your work back to you, just so you can get distracted again and have someone else leave." Lynn says, concentrating on not smudging the icing on the cupcakes.

"Lion, c'mon." Chase says, using his nickname for her. The first time he met her, he misheard Travis and thought he said Lion instead of Lynn.

"First off, no. Second off, stop calling me that. I don't have that much hair. And third off, table nine. Go." She orders, placing his notebook in his hands that he always left somewhere not in his reach, and in this case, the counter. Chase sighs and goes back to his job, thankfully.

"Lynn! Table three and five! Order up!" She heard Fred call. More people came in, some families having to sit at the counter from lack of table room. Lynn rushed to get their orders and pick up her table's orders as well. She picked up the plate with eggs and bacon, and a bowl of soup, rushing over to the table with the boy waiting patiently. Setting the eggs and bacon down she speaks.

"Your order sir. Hope you enjoy." She says, carefully nudging his chocolate milk she earlier delivered to the side as she moves his menu back to its holding spot by the window.

"Um, I-" The boy starts, but Lynn, being too busy and rushed, walks away to set the soup down to the older lady. As the lady looks at the soup, she glares up at Lynn, not having a great morning so far.

"I didn't order this." The lady says rudely. Lynn sighs exasperatedly and rushes off with a kindly 'hold on' to her. Delivering other orders to her tables and carefully dodging Rachel as she comes by her with a tray full of dirty dishes. Coming back to the lady she listens to her intently.

"I didn't order this!" The lady says to Lynn, making Lynn flinch from her tone of annoyance at Lynn's mistake.

"You- Well, wha-" Lynn started.

"I ordered eggs!" The lady spoke. Her red curled hair being pushed behind her ears as her purple coat becomes more visible. Lynn bites her lower lip. She can't remember who she gave the other order to.. Lynn looks around at the other costumers, all them eating their meals, even the boy is eating his eggs- his eggs? Didn't he order soup...? Lynn mentally questioned.

Lynn held a finger up to the ranting lady and walked off to the boy's table.

"Excuse me, sir?" She interrupted him mid bite and had him look up at her.

"Yes?" He replied, using the napkin to wipe his mouth.

"You didn't order eggs and bacon, did you?" She questioned, pointing down to his plate and raising an eyebrow at the boy's now smirking face.

"Well, I didn't want to worry you. You seemed busy enough" The boy gestured to the full café tables and stools. "But no. I didn't. I ordered the potato soup? But I thought I could just eat this instea-"

"What? No!" Lynn tried to keep her voice relaxed. "I need that order please. A lady on the other side of the room is very ticked off that I made a mistake. So I need that order. I'll be back with your soup." Lynn stated, picking the plate up as the boy raised his hands in surrender. She couldn't have really cared for her rude talking to a costumer, but she wasn't exactly in the mood for her stupid mistakes. Especially when the Saph Café was this busy.

"By all means! I apologize." The boy said. Lynn walked away with the plate and took it to the counter to give to Fred, yelling back to him.

"Need another order of eggs and bacon, Fred! Messed up an order!" Lynn exhaled heavily as she saw Chase smirking at her as he wiped the counter for new costumers. "Oh, shut up." She muttered to him, sticking her tongue out at him.

"I didn't say anything." Was his smart reply, having the rag under water now as he rung it out. Lynn returned the untouched soup to the boy who held an amused look on his face as Lynn lifted her eyes to him.

"What?" She asked, not keeping the civilized tone of voice with this particular costumer. She felt like it didn't really matter, like he didn't care how she talked to him.

"I'm Wyatt, by the way." He spoke.

"Lynn." She said, wiping his table where crumbs didn't exist, using it as a excuse to stay a little longer for a reason she wasn't sure she knew.

Wyatt leaned back in his booth seat and watched her work as her cheeks flushed under his intense gaze. Soon making her uncomfortable and looking at him one last time before Fred called for her.

"I know." He said. She nodded and walked away, back behind the counter to pick up the order for her other table. For the rest of the hour, his gaze never leaving her unless she went to the back for break.

•••

LET ME JUST GET THIS OUT THERE, ITS BEEN SEVERAL YEARS SINCE I FINISHED THIS AND LETTING EVERYONE KNOW THAT JAMMIE AND AUSTYN ARE STILL TOGETHER AND THEY ARE NOT  LYNNS PARENTS. THEY ARE WYATTS.
PEOPLE SEEM TO BE GETTING CONFUSED.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 5.3K 38
A story in which a young girl has to discover who she truely is in the confines of an arranged marriage, and has to find a way to get out of the arr...
1.9M 51.7K 48
Nicola and Gabriel used to be best friends while growing up, but she had made the classic mistake of falling in love with him, which resulted in not...
49.6K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
2.2M 69.6K 42
Highest Ranking: #2 in ChickLit | 16/01/19 Highest Ranking: #13 in Teen Fiction | 09/04/19 Highest Ranking: #24 in Romance | 16/09/19 He acted out be...