The Mask Man In The Woods

由 shadow_girl16

Who knew going to the woods could change an innocent girl's life entirely with a flip of a coin? Who knew the... 更多

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
Author's Note

15.

5.2K 268 31
由 shadow_girl16

CHAPTER | FIFTEEN

I laughed and shook my head as I leaned away. "No more! I'm going to swell up like a balloon."

Kris chuckled and dropped the grape. She leaned on the counter and pursed her red lips. "How's Drakon, by the way?"

I lifted a light box on the counter and started taking out the boxes of band aids. "He's okay. He complains every day that I pick him up late, though."

Kris picked up a box and examined the back. "But you always get there before the teacher takes them in."

"I know, but he likes to be the first to leave." I sighed.

Since Javon left a month ago, I was forced to find a job, which I didn't mind. I had been meaning to get a job for years, but Javon never liked it when I worked. Mr. Steven helped me out and got me a job in a small family business pharmacy.

It wasn't bad and since this store didn't have many customers, Kris and I took turns on who should come in or leave early. The storeowner wasn't around, so we got away with it.

Kris chuckled, pushing the box towards me and spun around, clapping her hands. She walked down the middle aisle, her boots stomping on the square patterned floor.

"Hey, do you think you could lock up today? I have a date tonight." Kris yelled from the front of the store.

"Uh, what time do we close today?" I asked, yanking the tape out of the box.

"Sssix! Wait. Yeah, six."

"Okay then. I'll close up."

Kris came back around and slapped on a smile as the bell over the door rung. I took the flattened box to the back room, leaving her to deal with the customer. I threw it where all the other boxes and groaned when I remembered today the recycling truck was coming.

I sighed loudly and started gathering the boxes. I kicked open the back door and put a brick to hold it open. I started pilling the boxes outside, ignoring the chilly winds nipping at my skin.

Kris came a minute later and pointed behind her. "I'm gonna head out. You need help?"

I shook my head, struggling to hold a heavy box. "No, I'm fine. Enjoy your date!"

Kris smiled and gave me a two-finger salute. I chuckled and managed to throw out the boxes in the huge bin outside. I dusted my pants and headed to the front when I noticed someone already waiting there.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I greeted, coming to stand behind the counter.

He lifted his head and I recognized the scar that ran from his eyebrow to his cheekbone, but his name escaped me. He looked surprised to see me too as he took a step back.

"So we meet again." I commented and pointed at the bottle of rubbing alcohol and roll of band aid. "Will that be all?"

He nodded and dug through his pocket. He handed me a crumbled ten and I noticed his white sleeve was stained with red.

"Oh, my. Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

He pulled his hand away and only nodded. I frowned and handed him his items in a plastic bag. He grabbed the bag with his other hand and halfway down the lane, he stopped and looked over his shoulder.

"It was nice seeing you again."

I forced a smile and watched him leave, a guest of wind blowing his trench coat. Seconds later, an elderly man came in and waved at me.

I waved back and frowned. That guy was certainly an odd-ball. I got out from behind the counter, shaking my head. Walking towards the last aisle, I could hear the howling wind bang against the store windows. I shivered and pulled my sweater closer to me.

I started to rip open the box of supplies. From the corner of my eye, I could see the old man slowly walking as he took his time to look at the shelves.

I paused in my work and leaned a little back. "Do you need help, sir?" I asked.

"Hm? Oh, yes. Do you happen to have any cough medicine for children?"

I nodded and went behind the counter, taking out several medicines. He hummed and waved his wrinkly hand. "I'll take all of them. I have lots of grandchildren and they all drink from the same cup no matter if one of is sick or not."

I chuckled and nodded. I started to bag them as he took out his overflowing wallet. I heard the back door creak open and cleared my throat to mask my smile.

He was here early.

I cashed in his items and bid him a good day. He wobbled out and I waited until he got in his beaten car to head to the back.

I spotted Tristian sitting on a short stack of boxes as he dusted off his coat. I made sure to stay in view of the front and tilted my head.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I greeted.

Tristian looked up and hopped off. I noticed he was carrying a bag with a fat book poking out.

"I saw your co-worker driving out of town earlier." He said.

"Yeah, she has a date tonight." I said, digging through my sweater pocket and pulling out a couple of chocolate kisses. I handed them to Tristian's cupped hands and headed to my locker to get my coat. "Stay here and watch. I'm going to pick up Drakon."

Tristian laid out his candies on the box and looked over his shoulder. "Why doesn't he walk alone?"

I wrapped my scarf around my neck and shrugged. "I would if the weather was nicer. The wind can blow away Drakon to New York." I joked.

Tristian half shrugged and half nodded as he lined up his kisses in a vertical line. I went out the front and made sure to flip the sign to "be right back in twenty minutes". I sighed, my breath coming out in clouds. I tugged on my gloves as I dragged my feet through the layers of snow.

There were barely any people outside and very few stores decided to stay open. I sniffled and kept my eyes on the ground to avoid the snow hitting my face.

I picked up my pace as I spotted the school and jogged up the steps to the front entrance. I smiled at the school security guard and spotted Drakon's teacher in the lunchroom. I waved and the teacher called Drakon.

I smiled and gave a side hug to Drakon. "What do you have there?"

Drakon held up the paper and I flipped it over. I chuckled in disbelief and pulled Drakon closer to me. "An eighty-five on a math test? Way to go, pal!"

Drakon looked up confused. "You're not mad?"

I folded up his test and stuffed it in my pocket. "No. Why would I be?"

"It's not a hundred, and I know you always wanted me to get a hundred." Drakon said, pulling his hat on.

I scoffed. "Math isn't easy for everyone. Trust me. An eighty-five is better than a fifty and I can tell you put your all into that test. That's all that matters to me, honey."

Drakon smiled. "Does that mean we can buy pizza?"

I raised an eyebrow and I was about to say no when my stomach growled. "Sure. Why not?"

Drakon's smile grew and he ran ahead to the pizzeria. We entered the small family owned restaurant and I smiled at Dion, who worked here for as long as I could remember.

He smiled and lifted his hand. "Three large, extra cheese pizza?"

"With two Pepsis, please." I added.

He chuckled and started heating up the pizza while Drakon ran ahead to his favorite table.

"Did you hear?" Dion asked, wiping down the counter.

"Hear what?"

"Children are doing those stupid dares to go to the woods again. I heard one fell and almost cracked his head up." Dion said, pushing his ball cap up.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise and clicked my tongue. "Really? Why?"

Dion sighed and put his fists on his hips. "Ah, that dumb mask man urban legend is going around again. Kids are daring each other to go find the thing, and one of these days, someone is going to get seriously hurt. Remember what happened to you? How big of a deal it was?"

I swallowed my words down and only sighed along. I didn't really know how big of a deal it was. When I went to the woods and didn't come back right away, my friends panicked and called for help.

"My friend is lost in the woods!"

"She must be dead!"

"I heard wolves!"

"Someone has to find her!"

The police were called in and my mama didn't make it easier. As soon as she caught wind of it, she completely broke down and wouldn't calm down until I was in her arms.

It seemed like it was a huge deal. Everyone knew about it by the next day and my high school principle even held an assembly to warn people what have happened if they didn't stop these dangerous dares.

After a week of nonstop questions and stares, it finally died down when a well-known retired officer man shoot his wife.

That became the talk of the town and I was happy to be yesterday news.

"Oh, I remember it," I said, snapping out my thoughts. "Let's just hope it doesn't happen to another poor kid."

Dion scoffed. "Yeah, let's hope." He said and handed my order.

I thanked him and sat down with Drakon. He quickly chowed down on one pizza and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Aren't you going to eat, mom?" He asked through a mouthful of food.

"Huh? Oh, no. I'm not really all that hungry. Hurry and eat. I have to get back to work soon."

Drakon nodded and grabbed his second slice. "Is dad really going to come back today?"

I frowned. "No. Where did you hear he was going to come back?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"He left a voicemail yesterday."

I stared at him confusingly and grabbed his backpack. "We'll take these to go. C'mon."

Drakon put his jacket on and Dion packed up the food. I thanked him again and headed towards the pharmacy. I flipped the sign to close and Drakon shook off the snow from his hat.

"Isn't Mr. Bran going to notice the store is closed?" He asked, sitting behind the counter.

I scoffed. "Please. Mr. Bran barely leaves his home."

Drakon nodded to that and started spinning around the stool. I went to the back and noticed Tristian was balling up the wraps of the chocolate.

"You look upset." He stated.

"My son just told me that Javon is going to come back today." I said, running my hand through my hair.

"What?"

"Drakon said h-he left a voicemail yesterday and I-I don't know to do." I stuttered.

Tristian grabbed my shoulders and made me face him. "Don't let him step a foot into your house. I'll be outside your house if you need me to."

I breathed out through my nose and swallowed hard. "Please do. I don't want to be alone with him."

Tristian squeezed my shoulders and I forced a smile.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

1K 341 12
***A forbidden romance, mystery-thriller short story*** Due to depression, anxiety and financial issues the 20 year old Arlen stumbles across a fores...
135K 1.3K 14
This is a Story about you the reader this is my first story where I'm not the character so yay. I don't own any of the creepy pastas they belong to t...
3.9K 528 18
When a young woman finds herself living in a forest, not remembering how she got there, why can't she leave or even what her name is, she can't help...
1.1K 14 7
For years a rumor has been going around that on Halloween night the woods become a gate to the underworld. You get trapped into the hell and the onl...