The Illusion (Book Two in The...

נכתב על ידי SCCourtney

After her near death experience at the beginning of the semester, Georgiana Vertigo is trying to move on with... עוד

Description
The Illusion of Certainty
Saying Goodbye Before You're Gone
Next To Him
Who's At Fault
A Connection
Knives again?
Alone Again
Seeing Red
1000 Oceans
Defense Juliet
Letters From The Sky
Flying Hawk Lullaby
Reunion Is Such Sweet Sorrow
Not Listening...
Leads To Bad Things
Enter Imaginary Friend
All The Right Moves
Kiss Me Slowly
Take Me Down
You Can't Keep Me
Beneath The Fire
I'll See You Soon
Paint Me A Picture Of Pain
Bleeding Heart
Control The Bleed
Epilogue: Bed Of Lies
Playlist

Chess Game

8K 238 10
נכתב על ידי SCCourtney

My eyes popped open. I was being restrained in a chair, leaning back slightly. A man stood above me, his hands placed on either side of my head. I pulled at my hands, gritting my teeth against the pain it was causing. When my hands broke free of their restraints I reached up and grabbed one of his hands in both of mine and pulled with all my strength. The man flipped over me and landed where my legs had been restrained. I got up quickly, ignoring the faint touch of dizziness. I pulled him off the chair with the arm I was gripping and flung him across the room. He smacked into the wall hard and crumpled to the floor with a soft thump. I crossed the space in four strides as the man began to get up. I kicked him in the head causing him to fall back to the floor. I reached down and grabbed one of his hands and pulled up. I put a foot on his neck, making sure he wouldn’t try to move again.

“If you wanted my memory of that day all you had to do was ask.”

I pulled on his arm and heard it separate from his shoulder. I dropped it to the ground and looked up. I found several pairs of eyes staring down at me.

“Enjoy the show?” I sneered.

“You are very capable it seems,” someone said. “Perhaps more than what we saw.”

“Stay out of my head,” I said very carefully.

 “We like to use the element of surprise when it comes to viewing people’s memories. We couldn’t just trust that you would tell the truth. After all you are a Slayer.”

Michael’s uncle stepped out of the shadows in the corner on the other side of the room. He approached me slowly, his eyes looking me up and down.

“And you are a Vampire. My instincts tell me not to trust you either. And after your statement, I’m starting to think that my instincts may be right.”

I felt my bond tingle and I looked around for Michael. He was near. I could feel it. I was very angry at that moment. I was angry at him, I was angry at Luke. Why hadn’t they tried to stop it? Then memories from that morning came to mind. Michael told me this would happen. I could feel through the bond that he wasn’t supposed to. But he knew the pain that memory caused and he wanted me to be prepared for it. He wasn’t even prepared for the pain it had caused me and in turn caused him.

I’d been stabbed and he felt like he was the one who was stabbed.

I closed my eyes and shook my head. I had to disentangle myself from his mind and emotions.

I looked up at his uncle. “The next time you want to know something, just ask. You pull something like this again you will be the one on the floor wondering why you can’t feel your hand.”

He laughed. I heard a door open behind me and I whirled around. Relief flooded through me when I saw Luke and Michael’s faces. I ran over and Michael cradled me in his arms.

“There is something you might want to know about my nephew, Ms. Vertigo.”

I turned my head and looked in his general direction. Michael’s arms instinctively wrapped tighter around me.

“And what’s that?” I said softly but strongly.

“He is his mother’s son. You shouldn’t trust what he says, no matter how honest he looks when he says it.”

I turned around in Michael’s arms and looked at his uncle. He had a satisfied look on his face.

“I know quite well who and what Michael is. You are her brother. But I’m sure there is only one difference between you and her. You are alive, she is not. I’m sure both you and her would like you to remain that way.”

My threat drove its way home and he narrowed his eyes at me.

“Why you little whore. You will not speak to me—”

“That’s enough,” Michael said dangerously. “Uncle. That. Is. Enough.”

His uncle’s face visibly paled. There was one thing I knew about Michael and that was in my defense, he was very, very dangerous. And his uncle knew that. In Michael’s world, I was marked as his. If anyone dared to insult me, he was the one they’d have to deal with.

And as I looked from his uncle to the others in the wings, I knew they’d all gotten the message. Many of them were older, more powerful, but they all recognized Michael for what he was and what he was capable of.

Michael’s hands slipped down my arms and one took my hand. He tugged gently and we left the room.

I’ve compared my life to chess a few times. I’m not the king or the queen, I don’t even resemble the knight or the bishop. I’m not even that little castle looking piece that’s on the end. I’m the pawn. I sit in front of all the other pieces, being the first one to be sacrificed to win the game. Normally, I would be ok with that. People are used every day to get what they want. But Vampires aren’t exactly people and they can’t be defined as a friend or even an acquaintance. I really wanted to turn my position around at that very moment and be the queen or king and shove them all under the bus.

But that wasn’t my role to play.

When we got back to my room, I headed straight for my bedroom. I’d released Michael’s hand, the wall slamming back into place. I didn’t say anything to anyone even though I heard both Luke and Michael call out my name. I closed the door behind me and I locked it just for good measure. I knew I shouldn’t be mad. I should have listened that morning when Michael was telling me what would happen. But that stunt was ridiculous.

Feeling the weight of the morning settle on my shoulders, I sank down to the floor with my back up against the door. I put my head in my hands and wished the remaining of my headache away.

I wanted so badly to talk to someone innocent. Someone so far away from this. I got up and crossed the room, my phone sitting on my nightstand. For the hundredth time I looked for signal. I was sure someone told me, cell reception here sucked. I climbed up on the dresser and finally caught three bars worth of signal.

I speed dialed Aidan’s cell.

It rang the allotted amount before kicking me to his voicemail. I left him a message, telling him I’d try back later. When I hung up and checked the time, I realized he’d probably be asleep.

“Damn.”

I was about to jump down from the dresser when my phone buzzed. I flipped it open.

Aidan.

I smiled and answered, “Hi.”

“Hey.”

“Did I wake you?”

“No.” The groan of bed springs in the background told me the truth. “How are you?”

He sounded exhausted but I wasn’t too worried about that. The thought of him in bed was the only thing on my mind at that moment.

“I’m…well. I feel a little violated but other than that I’m ok.”

What?” That snapped him awake. “What happened?”

“They wanted to know what happened the day I died.”

“Why?”

“Because they want to be a hundred percent sure Jason did something wrong before condemning him. And they needed to see my actual memory to decide that.”

“So…wait…they had to see the actual memory?” I explained to him what they did and the line went silent. “Are you serious? And Luke just…”

“He didn’t just let it happen. He had no choice, just like me. I’m sure they’ll probe around in his brain next and Michael’s if they haven’t already done it.”

“Michael’s there?”

Oh boy. He hadn’t known that one. “Yeah.” I winced. “He’s here. Well not…here. I’m on top of a dresser in order to get signal but you get the idea.”

“You’re standing on a dresser?” I heard him sigh. “This is going to be one of those moments where I worry and you tell me not to.”

“All because I’m standing on a dresser?”

“No because you have to stand on a dresser.”

Someone knocked on my door.

“Aidan, I have to go.”

“Ana, wait.”

“I have to go. I’m sorry.”

I snapped the phone shut just as the door opened. Michael walked in and looked around the room. He knew I was in here, the bond told him that much. But he didn’t know where.

“Georgiana?”

“Up here.”

He looked up and frowned. “What are you doing?”

“Signal.” I waved my phone. “Had to make a call.”

I sat down and then jumped.

“So you climbed on top of the dresser?”

“Only place I could get signal. What’s up?”

“I just wanted…”

“To make sure I was ok? I have a massive headache and my brain feels like it’s gone through security at the airport. Tylenol, by the way, is crap.”

“I’m sorry.”

“About which part? The Tylenol or the brain feel?”

“I tried to warn you. You should think about listening next time.”

“When have you ever known me to listen?”

“Maybe you should start.”

“Speaking of listening…is our big secret out?”

“What are you talking about?” I tapped my temple. “Oh. No.”

“How is that even possible? Wouldn’t the other guy…?”

“Have felt me in there? It’s a possibility but it’s your mind. I wasn’t in his, he wasn’t in mine. Whether he got a feel for me, I don’t know. But I know he didn’t hear me when…”

“You talked to me?” He nodded. “His voice isn’t like yours. It’s like he purposely sounded…slimy.”

“I don’t think anyone’s fought him before. He wasn’t too happy about it afterwards. Add to the fact you actually beat the living daylights out of him…his ego is a little bruised.”

“He was the one in my mind and he’s the one that’s upset?!”

“Take a breath, would you?”

He needed me to calm down. Close proximity for us and high emotions=catastrophic meltdown.

“Now you’re telling me I can’t be upset?”

“You can be upset just not around me.”

“Can’t you block it out? After all you were the one who came in here.”

“It takes a lot to block you out. Your emotions are a bit strong.”

“It’s not like yours are a walk in the park.”

He sighed and turned away from me. “You should have just let me…”

“Take it away? And then what? Even you said it was a temporary fix. If we don’t learn how to deal with it than we’re both going to be handicapped.”

He turned and looked at me. “Or maybe we should just break it.”

That had me a little dumbfounded. As far as I knew bonds were unbreakable.

“You want to break our bond?”

“It’s technically the only solution. If we’re going to be around each other, and function…breaking the bond would be our best bet.”

“But we’re not. This is only for a few days and then I go back. Unless I die and then you won’t have to worry about it. You only have to put up with me for that long.”

“Even then, your strongest emotions leak through the wall I put up.”

“That’s how you knew…”

“That you slept with the boy? Yes. It was the worst thing I’ve ever felt in my life.”

He turned away from me and headed towards the door.

“I’m sorry, Michael. I meant what I said yesterday.”

He stopped and turned to face me. “Which part?”

“If you’d stayed…”

“It would have been me? We all make sacrifices, Georgiana. You just happen to be my biggest.”

I crossed the few short feet and took his hand. That suction cup feeling took over and I paused before speaking.

Then why did you do it? You didn’t have to leave. You could have stayed. You could have fought for me.

It’s not what you wanted. You wanted normal and you thought he could give it to you. Now you’re stuck. He’s the closest thing to normal you can get.

Why do you have to be so noble? Why can’t you, for once, just do what you want?

If I lose control both of us are going to be in more trouble than we already are.

Who says we’re in trouble?

He shook his head. You just don’t get it. I told you before that I’m not going to…you’re with him. Whether you realize it or not. You gave him a part of yourself before you left and you have to honor that.

You’re right, I am stuck. But not the way you think. I’m in love with two entirely different people and I don’t know what to do about it.

You have to choose, Georgiana. Your heart can’t be in two different places at once.

I tried to choose. Remember? You were there, I felt it. I tried to break ties with him but…

But nothing. If you wanted to let him go then you would have. Instead you gave him something of you, something you can never get back.

I did it with you too. I gave you my blood. I know it gets diluted more and more with time and the more blood you drink…but our connection has never wavered. Not once. And now you want to take that away from me, I shook my head, No matter what I do; no matter how much you think I screwed up…you can’t take that away from me.

Georgiana…

I love you, Michael. But I love him too. You are both a part of me. I refuse to give up either of you.

How is that fair?

Michael took his hand from me and exited the bedroom. I followed after him.

“Don’t walk away from me,” I said.

“You can’t have us both, Georgiana.” He whirled on me. “God. We’ve had this discussion hundreds of time. Let’s just skip to the end. I love you, you love me, we can’t be together so it’s best for everyone if you just stick with the boy. He’s stable, he’s normal, he’s the one everyone will accept. You picked him when you laid down with him and let him violate you. You chose, Georgiana. Damn the consequences.”

I reacted on instinct. Before I knew what I was doing, my hand connected with his face and my palm was stinging. His eyes were wide and a red mark was flowering across his face.

“I know you think I’ve screwed up,” I said. “But you don’t have to throw it in my face.”

I turned around and walked away. I went to my room and slammed the door. My headache was worse and now my hand felt like I’d punched a wall. My back pressed against the door and I couldn’t help but feel trapped. I sank to the floor with my back up against the door. I put my head in my hands and tried not to cry.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

193K 7.7K 45
My mother always told me when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When someone knocks you down, you get right back up. You fight the good fight...
30K 1.9K 24
The clock was ticking, measuring time down to the last second. The last heartbeat. The last breath. The last moment I would have on this Earth. It wa...
238K 9.1K 24
When Cora arrives home with no recollection of the previous week and two bite marks on her neck, she begins to retrace her steps straight back to not...
3.9M 161K 48
"Let me take you out on one date," he speaks, his lips dangerously close to mine. "And then I can fuck you senseless after." I swallow harshly lookin...