The Boy in the Woods (2014 Wa...

By KatherineArlene

A newly expanded and professionally edited version of the Boy in the Woods is now available for sale as an eb... More

A Brief Word
Chapter 1 - Jess
Chapter 2 - On the Street Where You Live
Chapter 3 - Tears On My Pillow
Chapter 5 - Lonely Boy
Chapter 6 - Maybe
Chapter 7 - It's Just a Matter of Time
Chapter 8 - Hearts Made of Stone
Chapter 9 - Don't Be Cruel
Chapter 10 - One Summer Night
Chapter 11 - Problems
Chapter 12 - Twilight Time
Chapter 13 - I Got a Feeling
Chapter 14 - School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)
Chapter 15 - Why
Chapter 16 - Alone With You
Chapter 17 - Who's Sorry Now?
Chapter 18 - It's Not For Me To Say
Chapter 19 - What a Difference a Day Makes
Chapter 20 - Silhouettes
Chapter 21 - You Send Me
Chapter 22 - The Secret of Christmas
Chapter 23 - Gonna Give Myself a Party
Chapter 24 - Let's Start the New Year Right
Chapter 25 - My Happiness
Chapter 26 - Am I Losing You
Chapter 27 - It's Time to Cry
Chapter 28 - Heartaches by the Number
Chapter 29 - Don't You Know
Chapter 30 - Here Comes Summer
Chapter 31 - Five Feet High and Rising
Chapter 32 - Tell Him No
Chapter 33 - Arrivederci
Chapter 34 - He'll Have to Go
Chapter 35 - Sixteen Candles
Chapter 36 - Come Go With Me
Chapter 37 - Somebody's Back in Town
Chapter 38 - Put Your Head on My Shoulder
Chapter 39 - Wishful Thinking
Chapter 40 - The One You Slip Around With
Chapter 41 - The Twist
Chapter 42 - Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
Chapter 43 - It's Now or Never
Chapter 44 - Swingin' School
Chapter 45 - Where the Boys Are
Chapter 46 - Run To Him
Chapter 47 - Surrender
Chapter 48 - Take Good Care of My Baby
Chapter 49 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 50 - I Fall To Pieces
Chapter 51 - Town Without Pity
Chapter 52 - Let's Twist Again
Chapter 53 - Do You Love Me?
Chapter 54 - Don't Break the Heart That Loves You
Epilogue - God Only Knows
This Is Not the End - Jonathon's Story is Finished!
Exciting News about The Boy in the Woods!
Finding Marty
My Writing Process and The Boy in the Woods
Buy the Published Version of The Boy in the Woods!
A Paperback Version? Yes!

Chapter 4 - Lonesome Town

188K 6.1K 1.4K
By KatherineArlene

"What?

The loudness and surprise in Uncle Jonathon's voice cut through Jess's thoughts while she was eating dinner. 

After living in her new home for three weeks, she was used to her uncle and Douglas spending the entire meal talking about the mining business.  She'd found the time passed more quickly if she made up stories in her head while she ate.  And it helped ease the loneliness if she concentrated on something else. 

She looked up at her uncle because it was so unusual to hear him raise his voice with Douglas.  From the expression on his face, she knew Douglas must have said something he didn't like.

"Jeff's family invited me to go with them to France," Douglas repeated.

"But you said they're going to be gone for the whole summer!"

"Well, yeah.  Jeff's mom has family there but they're going to be traveling around too.  They're even going to the World's Fair in Brussels!" he added excitedly.

"I'm surprised his father can afford to be away from the office that long," Uncle Jonathon muttered sternly.  "He is my lawyer, after all.  Maybe I need to have a talk with him."

"Awe, gee!" Douglas said loudly with exasperation.  "Don't get mad at Mr. White!  He's only going for the first week!"

"I was planning on having you work at the office this summer."

"But, Dad!"

"You need to start taking on more responsibilities, Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon insisted firmly.  Jess rolled her eyes at her plate.  She already knew who was going to win the argument.  "You can go to Europe another time."

"But there might not be another time!  I'll work in the office next summer!  I promise!  Please?"

"The whole summer, Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon repeated, trying to reason with him.

"Please don't say no," Douglas begged.  He looked like he was about to cry and Jess rolled her eyes again.  "Once I take over the mine, you know I won't be able to travel like this," he added sorrowfully.

Uncle Jonathon slumped as if Douglas's words had wounded him.  After a moment, he stiffened into his usual upright position, saying, "Alright, you can go."

"Really?  Gee, thanks Dad!" Douglas exclaimed, his face beaming.  "You're the best!  I can't wait to tell Jeff!  May I please leave the table to make the call?" he asked excitedly.  "It won't take long."  Uncle Jonathon waved his hand dismissively and Douglas leapt out of the chair.

Jess continued to eat in the silent room but she noticed her Uncle wasn't.  She peeked at him and was surprised to see him looking down at his plate with sadness.  Douglas's excited voice echoed in the room as he talked on the phone in the hallway and Uncle Jonathon looked up, his eyes meeting Jess's.  She was shocked at the anger in them and quickly dropped her gaze.  She looked at her plate with her heart pounding in her chest while her uncle glared at her.  Had she done something?  Or was he angry he'd given in to Douglas?

"You may leave the table now, Jessica," he said in a low voice, the tone scaring her even more.  For the first time she feared he might actually be mad enough to hit her.

"Yes, sir," she said, not daring to look at him while she placed her fork on her half finished plate, and quickly left the room. 

In the hallway, she passed Douglas who was leaning against the door frame to the living room with his back to her while he talked happily with his friend.  Intense jealousy and anger rose up in her, replacing the fear she'd felt a moment ago in her uncle's presence.   

Why did he get everything he wanted while she was made to feel like an unwelcome guest?  How did he get to be so lucky?  It wasn't fair he still had a parent who loved him while she'd lost both of hers, she thought bitterly.  And then she felt a wave of guilt come over her.  She wouldn't wish losing both parents on anyone, not even Douglas.  Once in her room, she fell on her bed and curled in a ball.  While her chest ached terribly, she wished she could just go home.

The next week was a flurry of activity, which meant Jess was left mostly on her own.  She'd become used to spending large parts of her day with Annie since there was so little to do in the house.  The two of them would talk for hours while Jess pitched in, helping her with cooking or cleaning.  But preparing for Douglas to be gone for the next two months meant Annie was busier than usual. 

Uncle Jonathon had given Annie the task of shopping for luggage and a new wardrobe.  Apparently Douglas wasn't allowed to go to Europe wearing the clothes he already owned.  That meant Annie spent long hours shopping or with Douglas as he tried on the things she'd bought, making sure they fit and he liked them.  The fact that Annie was almost as excited and happy as Douglas about his trip, made Jess feel even more alone. 

She knew it was wrong to be jealous of Douglas, but she couldn't help it.  She'd give anything to be able to spend the summer somewhere else.  When Uncle Jonathon had decided she wasn't going to finish the school year, she'd been glad she wouldn't have to face meeting new people and answering questions about her parents, but now she wished she'd tried to convince him to let her go.  If she had, she would've made some new friends by now. 

She'd even thought about asking him if she could invite someone from her old neighborhood to come for a visit, but quickly gave up the idea.  She knew he'd never agree to it.  With only Annie to spend time with, she was desperately lonely and as she thought about the coming summer months without even Douglas around, she was filled with dread. 

On the Monday after the last day of school, Jess and Annie stood outside to see Douglas off.  Even though Jess knew he probably would've spent the entire summer either gone or ignoring her, she couldn't help feeling sad, watching him say good bye to Annie.  The house was going to seem even more empty without him.  With his father's prodding, he mumbled a good bye to Jess without meeting her eyes and then climbed in the back of the car. 

"I'll be back by dinner time," Uncle Jonathon said tersely to Annie, before joining him.

When James drove off, Annie started crying and Jess took her hand.  "It'll go fast.  You'll see," she said, trying to convince herself as much as Annie.

"Sure it will, pumpkin," Annie said, smiling sadly while she wiped her tears with a handkerchief.  Leading Jess by the hand, the two of them went into the quiet, empty house.

At dinner that night, Jess was dismayed to see a newspaper and a stack of mail next to her uncle's plate when she joined him.  Was he planning to read through the entire meal again?  He held his hand out and she handed him her plate as Annie came in through the swinging door carrying a basket of sliced bread and a butter dish.

"Annie," Uncle Jonathon said, stopping her when she turned to leave.  "Now that Douglas has left and Jessica has settled in, you'll be going back to your regular work schedule for the summer."  Jess's heart sank as she looked up at Annie.

"Oh?" Annie said with surprise.  "Does that mean tomorrow –?"

"Yes, it means starting tomorrow!" he replied irritably.  "You don't normally work Tuesdays, do you?"

"No, sir," she said quietly, and turned to leave.

"Leave something for Jess to heat up for our dinner tomorrow," he added as he began sorting through the mail.

"Yes, sir," she said, and let the door swing closed.

Jess picked up her fork, feeling the ache in her chest get worse than ever.  She was going to be spending the entire day alone.  And then it was almost certain she could look forward to a silent dinner while her uncle read.  Tears pricked her eyes, but she blinked them back.  She would not cry in front of him.  She was just going to have to figure out how to fill the time while Annie was away. 

The next day, she woke up with a heavy heart.  After pulling on her clothes, she went to the door to the kitchen.  Walking down the stairs into the quiet kitchen, she missed the delicious smell of her breakfast cooking.  Locating a box of corn flakes, she placed it at the table and went to get a bowl, spoon, and bottle of milk from the ice box.  She ate her cereal while looking out the window at the woods and wondered what she should do.

Once she'd finished washing and putting away her bowl and spoon, she went out the back door.  James was in the garage with the big doors open.  The hood of the big black car was open and he was bent over, working on the engine.  Instead of wearing his usual black suit, he had on a denim workman's outfit.  Immediately feeling better she wasn't completely alone, she went to him.  She stopped near him and waited for him to notice her but he had his head buried under the hood of the car.

"Hello, James," she said, not too loudly so she wouldn't startle him but he didn't seem to hear.  "Hello, James!" she said louder.  He turned his head to give her a curt nod and then turned his attention back to the car.  She waited, but it didn't seem like he was going to say anything.

"What are you doing?" she prompted, hoping that would start a conversation.  He lifted his head long enough to give her a look to let her know he thought it was a stupid question before returning to his work.  Sighing deeply, she tried again.  "I guess you're working on the car."  That got no response from him at all.

While she watched him, it occurred to her that whenever Douglas wanted to go somewhere, he'd tell James to take him.  She should ask him to take her into the town.  She could spend several hours, maybe even most of the day, walking around and seeing what it was like. 

"I was wondering – do you think – you could take me into town?" she asked hesitantly. 

James became still and then slowly straightened.  Jess felt excitement building while he picked up a dirty cloth and began wiping his blackened hands.  She was finally going to get to go someplace.  Why she hadn't thought to ask him sooner?   Her excitement vanished when she saw the hardness in his eyes as he turned towards her.  

"Did ya ask yer uncle if ya could go ta town?" he asked sharply, his words clipped and heavily accented. 

"Uh, no.  I didn't," she replied faintly, shrinking under his gaze.

"Then I'm not gonna be takin' ya then, am I?"

She tried to think of something to say while he glared at her, and then he turned back to work on the car without another word.  With her face burning with embarrassment and her ego bruised, she turned and walked away.  She'd just ask Uncle Jonathon that night, she thought angrily, imagining the satisfaction she'd feel when she told James to take her tomorrow.  But as she sat on the swing, she couldn't help worrying Uncle Jonathon was going to say no.

Later that night, sitting at the table with her uncle to eat a beef stew she'd reheated, she tried to pluck up the courage to ask him.  It wasn't made any easier by the fact he was reading a folded newspaper next to his bowl as if she wasn't even there.  She cleared her throat, but he kept reading.

"Uncle Jonathon?"

"Mmm?" he replied, not taking his eyes off his paper.

"Can I go into town tomorrow?"

He looked at her appraisingly as he straightened.  She allowed herself a tiny bit of hope that he didn't look angry.

"Why do you want to go to town?"

"I – just wanted to see what its like."

"It's a small town.  No different from any other," he said, turning his attention back to his paper as if that settled the matter.  She felt her heart sinking. 

"Can I – can I go anyway?" she tried again.  This time he looked angry when he lifted his head.

"I already answered that question, Jessica!" he said loudly, his voice echoing off the wood paneled walls around them.  "I don't see why you want to go so badly," he said, suspiciously. 

"There's nothing to do here and – I thought – it would give me something to do."

"I'm sorry living in this beautiful home isn't enough for you," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"That's not what I mean," she replied quickly.  "It's just – there isn't anyone to hang out with.

"When Douglas returns, you'll have him to keep you company."

"But he won't be home for the whole summer!"

Her uncle's fist slammed on the table, making the dishes jump with a loud clatter.  "That's enough!" he shouted.  "I'm not discussing this further with you!  Do you hear me?"

"Yes, sir," she said, dropping her eyes to her bowl, as her heart began pounding.  He turned his attention back to his paper and she picked up her spoon.  Tears threatened to come, but she blinked them away. 

She hated him, she thought bitterly.  She hated him for being so mean to her and everyone else.  Then she imagined her parents looking down at her and how disappointed they'd be at the person she was turning into.  She tried to make the angry thoughts go away.  She shouldn't hate him, he was her uncle after all.  She couldn't allow herself to become as mean as him.

The next day, she woke up with a smile before she even opened her eyes.  She just knew Annie was downstairs making her a good breakfast.  She jumped out of bed and pulled on her clothes as quickly as she could.  Within seconds, she was down the back stairs, saying, "Good morning, Annie!" before she even saw her.

"Good morning, pumpkin!" Annie said from in front of the stove, and then let out a huff when Jess ran into her and gave her a tight hug.  "Well, that was a nice good morning!" she laughed.

Letting go of her, Jess went to her place at the table and took a long drink of orange juice.  "How was your day off?" she asked, after she wiped her mouth.

"It was swell.  It was nice to see my mom and my kitties again.  How was your day?"  Jess thought about telling her the truth, but hesitated.  She couldn't let Annie worry about her being left alone.  It wasn't like she'd be able to stay when it was supposed to be her day off. 

"It was swell too," she lied with a smile.

"Good," Annie said, scooping fried eggs and bacon on a plate.

Jess peppered Annie with questions about what she'd done and who'd she seen while she ate.  When she was finished, she started helping Annie with the dishes but instead of letting her, like she usually did, Annie stopped her.

"It's summer now.  You should be spending your days outdoors like other kids." 

"But – it's boring out there!  There's nothing to do!" Jess said desperately.  Annie looked stern as she put her hands on her hips.

"Jessica Blackwell!  Are you telling me that on this huge property there's nothing to do?  You've spent too much time in the city!  There's a whole world out there to explore.  Now scoot!" she said, motioning with her hands as she stepped forward.  "Go get some fresh air and I'll see you at lunch time."

"Okay, okay," Jess muttered, backing up to the door.

Wandering from the house, she saw James in the garage cleaning the windows of the big black car and turned her back to him to walk in the opposite direction, still angry about the day before.  She walked to the swing, but when she reached it, she didn't feel like swinging and kept going.  When she reached the edge of the lawn, she peered into the dense undergrowth of the woods.  She could hear the sounds of animals scampering through the leaves. 

Turning right, she looked at her feet while she began counting her steps as she walked along the edge of the forest.  When she reached step 317 she stopped.  There was a small opening in the brush and she pushed aside a tree branch to peer inside. 

A narrow path leading into the woods curved ahead of her.  She couldn't understand how she hadn't noticed it before but when she looked around, she was behind the garage, hidden from view from the house.  As she gazed down the path, the curiosity of where it might lead was stronger than her fear of what wild animals might be lurking out of sight.

She stepped inside, feeling cooler air surround her.  It felt inviting and she began walking, following the curve.  Keeping her eyes and ears open for danger, she saw squirrels scampering among the leaves and running up trees, but no other animals.  Sunlight streamed through the gaps between branches overhead, illuminating patches of ground where brush grew, soaking in the precious sunlight.  The longer she walked down the meandering path, the more beautiful the woods seemed.  

After one last turn, she left the trees and stopped with shock, hardly believing what she was seeing.  A small one-story cabin was in the center of a clearing with a wood-shingled roof and a chimney made of river stones. She slowly made her way to flagstone steps leading to the front door, wondering who lived there.

It was obvious someone was taking care of it.  The clearing was free from weeds and the grass was cut.  Was it James?  She frequently saw him mowing the lawn and doing other yard work. 

When she reached the door, she knocked but no one answered.  She knocked again more loudly.   While she waited, she looked around.  If someone lived here, wouldn't they need a car?  How else would they get to work, or get food.  She knocked one last time even though she was almost certain no one lived there. 

Putting her hand on the door knob, she turned the handle and pushed.  The door opened easily and she called out, "Hello!" just to be certain, then gasped as a charming living room was revealed.  She stepped in, smelling the pine plank floor boards in the slightly stuffy air.  Two wooden chairs were arranged in front of the river stone fireplace.  A small table sat between them with a pile of hunting magazines. 

Looking at the magazine on top, she quickly did the math to figure out the date on the cover was twelve years ago.  Then she noticed small wooden carved animals carefully arranged on the mantel over the fireplace.  She picked up and examined each one of them with wonder.  Squirrels, rabbits, deer, turtles, and even dogs and cats; each one posed as if the person who'd carved them had done them from real life. 

A door off the living room led to a small bedroom with an old iron bed and springs, but no mattress.  Another doorway led to a small galley kitchen where she found a back door.  She opened it to let in more air.  A ceramic sink with an old fashioned pump was in front of a window.  She pushed on the handle, but no water came out.  Looking in the cabinet above the counter she found some dish soap, a few pieces of mismatched china, a box of tea, and a can of soup. 

On the opposite side was an old cast iron cook stove with a battered tea kettle on it.  She lifted the lid to the kettle and looked inside, but it was empty.  A small table was next to it, against the wall with two stools pushed underneath.  Walking back to living room, she looked around.  It was just as neat and tidy as the outside.  The lack of dust let her know James must have been keeping it clean.  She knew for sure it wasn't Annie.  Why did her uncle keep the cabin cleaned when he never seemed to use it, she wondered.

In spite of the fact the rooms were nearly barren, she thought it was charming.  And something about it tugged at her.  As she thought about it, she realized it was just like her apartment back in Manhattan.  After living in the family mansion, she'd forgotten how comforting small spaces were.  It felt like home.

She explored the rooms further, but the only new thing she found was fishing pole tucked behind the open front door.  When she was too hungry to stay any longer, she closed the cabin doors and set across the clearing.  Just before she started down the path, she turned around for one last look.  It was the most beautiful little cabin in the world, she thought happily. 

While she ate dinner that night beside a silent Uncle Jonathon who was absorbed in a stack of documents, she was filled with thoughts about the cabin, picturing the rooms over and over in her mind and imagining all the fun she was going to have there.  If she brought a lunch to eat there, she could stay all day if she wanted.  Maybe if she got permission to take some books there, she could read to pass the time.  And if James showed her how to work the fireplace, she could even visit sometimes in the winter. 

"Uncle Jonathon?"

"Yes?" he said distractedly, still reading from his stack of papers.

"Do you think –?"  Her uncle's eyes shot up, stopping her in mid-sentence, and the conversation about her going into town suddenly popped in her head. 

"Well, what is it?" he asked sharply when she didn't continue.  What if she asked him about the cabin and he said she wasn't allowed to go there again?  Then she'd never be able to go back.  "I don't like being kept waiting, Jessica!"

"I just – I just wondered if it's okay if I – if I take some books – from the library – to keep in my room," she stammered with her heart pounding, terrified he was going to see through her stupid lie. 

"Why?" he asked suspiciously.

"I like to read in bed – before I go to sleep," she said, forcing herself to meet his intense gaze as he studied her.

"You'll be careful with them?" he asked after what seemed like forever.

"Yes, sir."

"And you won't be staying up all night reading?" he added sternly.

"No, sir.  I won't."

"I'll – allow it," he said grudgingly, and turned his attention back to his papers.

"Thank you," she said faintly, and he grunted a response.

It was too much of a close call, she thought as her heart slowed back to its normal rate.  She had to be a lot more careful in the future with him.  She didn't want anything to stop her from being able to visit the cabin. 

The next morning, she went down to the kitchen knowing Annie was gone again, but this time the silent, empty house didn't affect her.  While she got a bowl of cereal, she was full of happy thoughts about the cabin.  After she'd eaten, she washed her dishes and put them away, then walked out the back door.  The doors to the garage were open and the black car was parked inside, but James was nowhere in sight.  She quickly went behind it before he saw her and pulled aside the branch so she could step onto the path. 

Feeling the cooler air, instantly made her feel better and as she rounded the curve, she enjoyed being swallowed up by the forest.  Walking slowly, she felt at peace.  Remembering how much she'd feared the woods, she now thought it was the most beautiful place she'd ever seen. 

When she was almost at the clearing, two squirrels began chasing each other ahead of her.  She followed them, smiling while she watched their antics.  It was only when she'd almost reached the cabin that she noticed the front door was wide open and fear gripped her.  James had to be in there, and if he saw her, he would be certain to tell Uncle Jonathon.  She was certain to be forbidden to ever return.   

She was just turning to leave when a teenage boy in jeans and a t-shirt leapt through the front door, missing the front step completely.  He landed a few feet from her, throwing his arms out to keep his balance as he skidded to a stop in the grass.

"Oh!" she said with surprise while he looked at her with startled brown eyes. 

****

Uh, oh.  It looks like Jess has just encountered the 'boy'.  You've seen more of Uncle Jonathon's interactions with Jess.  By now, I'm sure you all hate him, but I love hearing your theories about what is driving his behavior.  The pampered Douglas has convinced his father to agree to let him enjoy the continent for the summer, leaving Jess more alone than ever. 

You've also seen more of Annie's relationship with each member of the family.  And James speaks!  Unfortunately he's not much better than Uncle Jonathon.  What do you suppose his deal is?  What do you make of the cabin?  What do think it was for, and what do you think has been happening with it now?    What do you predict is going to happen next?  Let me know what you think!

I hope you liked this chapter, and if you did, please consider giving it a vote! 

The video is Lonesome Town by Ricky Nelson (the boy who plays Douglas).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9M 549K 32
"Y-your H-highness? I-i'm sorry b-but t-there m-must b-be a-a m-mistake..." A loud growl sounded through the whole ballroom causing me to start shaki...
14.9M 458K 32
"We can't do this." I whisper as our lips re-connect, a tingling fire surging through my body as his hands ravage unexplored lands; my innocence di...
51.9M 1.6M 63
[#1 Teen Fiction | #1 in Romance] Bad boy Luke Dawson is stuck living with clumsy nobody Millie Ripley for the summer. When she ran over his most p...
11.6M 395K 63
Eliana Snow is a sweet, innocent young woman who's about to inherit the family fortune at age 21. Right now her parents' company, bank accounts, and...