Grey Skies, Brown Eyes

Por maskindisguise

Jame is the illegitimate child of one of the most respected alphas in the country; her pack despises her, she... Más

Prologue
Chapter 1 - The Unexpected
Chapter 2 - A Prince in the Night
Chapter 3 - Paths Home
Chapter 4 - Majesties
Chapter 5 - A Future In Sight
Chapter 6 - Whirlwind
Chapter 7 - Emotions
Chapter 8 - Maids
Chapter 9 - Cords
Chapter 10 - New Discoveries
Chapter 11 - Rebels
Chapter 12 - Trouble
Chapter 13 - Back to Pack
Chapter 14 - Revelations
Chapter 15 - Discovery
Chapter 16 - Truth Revealed
Chapter 17 - Markets
Chapter 18 - Three Alphas
Chapter 20 - Monarchies
Chapter 21 - Marked

Chapter 19 - Dressed In White

7.2K 242 43
Por maskindisguise

So I finished Year 12! Holy moly, what a journey! I'm finally done and dusted... and working full time. #sleepisfortheweak

THANK YOU to everyone who has voted on my story! You truly made my day

So sorry for the lateness, but I hope you enjoy! Xx

αβα

To say my maids were surprised to find me in bed with a man the next morning was an understatement.

In fact, they were downright horrified. Through my half open eyes, my sleep-heavy brain managed to register Amelia running out the door, madly yelling 'Kings!'. Liza simply stared at us, wide eyed.

I groaned, pushing myself into a sitting position, Leo's limp arm slipping from around my waist. 'Liza... what in the world is wrong with Amelia?'

'Uh. There's an intruder in your bed, miss.'

I frowned at her, noticing her fidgeting nervously. I glanced down at Leo, his lax facial expression amusing me. 'This guy right here?'

She nodded. 'Yes, miss. Who is he? And if I may ask, what is he doing in your bed?'

I paused. 'Liza, this is my mate. Who else would I allow to sleep along side me?' I asked, eyebrows raised.

She blushed. 'I didn't mean to insinuate anything. I promise, miss.'

I waved it away. 'Don't fret about it. Where on earth has Amelia run off to?'

Liza scratched her head awkwardly. 'Well, you see, we thought there was an intruder in your bed, which, technically, there is, so-'

'Liza. Where is she?'

She hesitated. 'Alerting the three kings, miss.'

Bloody hell.

-

Roman, Lexa and Tanner ran into the room not two minutes later, fully dressed and eyes blazing. I had woken Leo up; he was currently holding me to his chest protectively, still in bed, refusing to believe that the kings were anything less than a danger to me.

That was how they found us as they slammed the door open, stopping in a line before my bed as they took in the sight of the two of us.

Lexa as fuming. 'We specifically told you to wait at our borders until we gave you permission to enter our country. By entering illegally, you have breached-'

Leo growled loudly, holding me tighter to his chest. The kings tensed. 'Don't feed me that crap. You kidnapped my mate! You initiated this. Don't you start thinking I'm the guilty one in this situation.'

Before Lexa could let out a come back, Tanner held up a hand to silence him. He took a deep breath. 'We understand you're angry. Please, let go of Jame and we can discuss this properly. Like adults,' he said, giving Lexa a pointed look.

Leo frowned, brow creased. 'Why should I let go of my mate? We can talk here and now.'

I looked up at Leo, patting his arm that encircled my waist. 'They're protective of me, Leo. You put them on edge. Just let go of me, we can get dressed, and-'

'I put them on edge? Jame, my wolf-'

'Leo,' I hissed. 'Just do it.'

He was motionless for a few tense seconds, breathing deeply. Finally, he relented. 'Fine. But I'm not leaving your side for a second.'

-

My closet was full of white dresses.

It was minority disturbing, actually. Yesterday, I had not needed to change, as I had still been wearing my orange dress Leo and I had bought at the markets. They hadn't changed me when I arrived, to my great relief. No one had, since my time here. I had dressed myself.

However, now that I needed to get changed out of my night gown and into a new outfit for the day, I realised just how little variation my closet contained; besides the essentials, only white dresses were to be found.

Leo was just as confused by this as I was. 'Why is there no... colour? Did you choose all these?'

I turned to him, bamboozled. 'No. This is as much of a surprise to you as it is to me. No pants, no shirts... only white dresses. Maybe the kings like white?'

Leo growled at that.

'Oh, calm down. They're harmless. They've been nothing but nice to me this entire time.'

'Probably because they want something from you,' Leo muttered.

I raised an eyebrow. 'What was that?'

'Nothing,' he quickly uttered. 'Just pick one, then we can leave.' He spun around, knowing I didn't like to be watched whilst changing.

I nodded, picking up the dress closest to me. It was gorgeous, I had to admit. It was modern looking, a pure white fabric with elbow length sleeves, tight upper section, and a loose, flowing train that trailed behind me rather gracefully. I smiled happily. At least they were nice white dresses.

'Done,' I told Leo, allowing him to spin back around. Wrapping his arm around my waist gently, we made our way out of the closet, out of the bedroom, and into the hallway to be escorted by Amelia and Liza to the kings' office room.

After a solid three minute walk, we arrived on the top floor of the palace, seemingly where their bedrooms were also located. Liza knocked on the door, stepping aside to allow us to pass as the heavy wooden door swung open.

Roman greeted us with a smile, gesturing to the two seats situated before three large wooden desks. Tanner sat in the middle of the three, as the oldest, while Roman and Lexa sat beside him at their own respective desks.

The room was dim, the crackling fire reminding me of Leo's father's office. It had a nice, relaxing atmosphere about it.

Sinking into my chair, Leo was forced to let me go. I smiled assuredly at him, sensing his concealed concern for my safety.

Calm down. We're fine. Relax. I trust them.

Leo nodded in reply, squeezing my hand in thanks as he sank into his own chair. I still sensed his concern, however he managed it well. He sat confidently, awaiting the kings to begin this impromptu meeting.

'To begin,' spoke Tanner, 'we apologise for the kidnapping of Jame. We apologise to the both of you, of course; it was a rash decision we originally believed necessary. We couldn't wait to talk to her, though that is no excuse. Are we forgiven?'

Leo grudgingly nodded along with me. 'And I also apologise for illegally crossing your border. I couldn't wait to see my mate, safe and sound. I suppose that means we're even?'

Roman nodded, eyes shining. 'Of course.'

'So what made you want my mate's presence so desperately? She was willing to meet with you, you knew that.'

Tanner nodded. 'Yes, we did. However, we were reluctant to wait, and wished to speak to Jame alone. The only way we thought this was going to happen, was by taking matters into our own hands.'

Leo was on edge. 'For what purpose?'

'We want Jame to be our sole heir to the throne. In fact, we want her to take over this country's rule, as is her birth right, as soon as possible.'

I stayed quiet as Leo's mouth dropped open. 'But- she's my queen! You can't just...'

Lexa rolled his eyes. 'This is exactly the reason we wanted Jame alone. You are too possesive of her to make any calculated decision where she is involved.'

Leo growled. 'Because I'm her mate. All I want is to be with her.'

My heart melted a little at his words. No one had ever said that to me before.

'If I may,' I spoke up, crossing my legs in what I hoped was a graceful manner, 'I would like to mention the fact that I have the same concern. As mates, Leo and I should not... and will not be separated. He has his own kingdom, just as you offer me yours. How on earth do you propose we pick a side with identical offers?'

The room continued to lighten as the sun rose higher in the sky, casting an impressive silhouette of the three kings.

'Prince Leo's kingdom is stable and already has it's rightful leader in it's place,' reasoned Roman calmly. 'Castodia, however, does not. It has greater needs that only you can fill, Princess. Our side has a more pressing urgency; that is why you are needed here, and not there.'

Leo tensed- or became more tense than he already was, at least. 'Of course you would say so. Your opinion is bias.'

Lexa raised an eyebrow sceptically. 'As is yours,' he contested.

I rolled my eyes. 'Everyone here is partial to their own opinion. As the apparent mediator in this situation, however, I would like to propose a new, combined theory.' I paused as the room unconsciously leaned forward simultaneously, intrigued. 'We build a new palace between the kingdoms and create a combined monarchy. In which case, we all win.'

The room erupted in a flurry of protest, no man willing to concede to this new theory. Heated words flew back and forth between Leo and the three kings, as eyebrows furrowed deeper and arms were raised higher. I sighed deeply. I needed a female around me right about now. The testosterone levels in this room were increasing too rapidly for me to handle all by my own oestrogen-filled self.

'Please, men,' I implored above the racket. 'Stop!'

To my utter surprise, that is exactly what they did. All eyes flickered to my own, gestures frozen in mid air.

'Now is not the time for arguments. Now is the time to work together.' I breathed deeply. 'Firstly- is my proposition impossible, or is it worth time spent deliberating over?'

Tanner nodded slowly, shoulders lowering, contemplating my words. 'Theoretically, yes, it is possible. However, what we do not know is how the kingdoms would react. To combine two stranger kingdoms will be no easy feet.'

'With the additional issue of their lack of knowledge of you two, of course. People don't often trust people they don't know,' mused Roman unhelpfully.

'Your support is astounding, really,' Leo deadpanned.

'So we problem solve,' I continued, ignoring the banter. 'Familiarisation is all we need- we edge the two countries together slowly, simultaneously allowing them to see more of Leo and I, showing them how much we care. We give them time to adjust, and then we announce our plans for the future.'

Lexa stroked his beard absentmindedly as he stared at me. 'But how long will that take, Jame? We grow tired of this burden; we don't want to bare the crown's weight any longer. You are the true heir, so take it. Leo can be your king, but please, don't drag this out to take more time than is absolutely necessary.'

My gaze was drawn to Lexa's brooding eyes as I calculated his words. There was a second motive behind them, I realised. 'I know you miss her,' I murmured. His cheeks grew flushed. 'I understand. But these things take time. For your sake, we will try to accelerate the process as much as we possibly can, but until then, your duties as king remain.'

He nodded, saying nothing. I supposed I would take that as a good sign.

Leo took my hand in his own, seemingly calm once again. 'It's a good plan. I just have one adjustment.'

I nodded nervously, looking into his eyes. I hoped we were on the same page; I couldn't bare it if he were unhappy with my idea. We worked as a team, and I valued his opinion like no other.

He turned his eyes to the three kings, his mood somber. 'I don't have any particular desire for Jame and I to rule over two separate kingdoms, even if we are still together every day within the same castle. I want us to be together in everything, though, I agree that Jame's idea is currently our best solution. I rule as king over one land, as she rules as queen over the other.

'However, I think we're missing an important chess piece in this game of strategy. My sister, Aliana, although very young now, will grow up as a princess, as is her natural birth right. She is the only other member of my family capable of taking over my father's place. I do not suggest that I give my position over to her in this moment,of course. When the time comes, however, I will be happy to coronate her in order to become Jame's king consort. I believe that this course of action will be the most beneficial to our family.'

There was silence as the implications of Leo's words sunk in. I was scarcely breathing.

He was going to give up his country for me.

For me.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

2K 177 18
Luca and Leif have only ever had each other. Both orphaned as babies and know nothing of their parents. All they know is twin equals safety. Micah an...
16K 507 34
I'm not sure if this is going to be a stand alone story or a series of different stories just yet. Luca and Leif have only ever had each other. Both...
9.2K 545 26
Kai hates being a girl. All she wants is to be treated equal to her two brothers since she was born with an Alpha wolf just like them. Her father ref...
680K 16.1K 44
Broken by soul, broken by heart. Valeria is Alpha's daughter who has been through lot of loss. She's in no rush finding her mate, so you can imagine...