She Saved Me | Tom Riddle

By _itssamanthaa

Everyone knows how the story of Harry Potter ends. He destroyed the horcruxes, won the duel, and Voldemort wa... More

Something Strange
The Girl
Tom Riddle or Voldemort
Dumbledore
The Next Step
Decisions
Adjusting
The First Day
First Inspection
Beginning of Summer
Family Dinners
The Pier
Friends
Second Inspection
Thoughts & Feelings
Suspicions
The Object
The Trial P. 1
The Trial P. 2
The Wand Complex
Diagon Alley
End of Summer
Return to Hogwarts
Classes Begin
Conflicting Conversations
Quidditch Season
Memories & Change
First Match
The Full Story
Threats & Confessions
The Boy
Turning Point
Stand Up
A New Feeling
Facing Reality
Falling Apart
Lasting Effects
Birthday Wishes
Evolving
Vertigo
An Act of Faith
A Moral Paradox
The Truth
A Celebration of Fear
All Is Fair
One Step Foward
The Idea of Progress
Love and War
What The Future Holds
Quick Update

An Adventure

14.4K 503 196
By _itssamanthaa

Hey..so it's been a while

But! This chapter is a little more interesting

To keep you guys entertained while you wait for the next chapter after this since idk when that will come out. Tell me what's unique about this sentence: "Sit on a potato pan, Otis."

Leave comments/questions/etc

Happy reading!

11| an adventure

June 1998

The first few days of the month were relatively uneventful in the Merin household after Emmett left. Ava has been spending less time around Tom since the dinner the other night. Tom, however, stayed true to his promise and joined more meals. Gwen was thrilled when he went to dinner the next night. Ava didn't seem to feel the same; Tom's attendance allowed Emmett all the opportunity to continue making inappropriate comments during his stay.

Today was different. Ava spoke directly to Tom that morning, asking him to meet her outside after breakfast. He overheard her mention to her mother something about a trip, so he assumed that is what she needs to speak with him about. They were currently seated at the table finishing their meal. Tom had been watching Ava push food around her plate for the last five minutes. She caught him looking and gave him a small flash of a smile.

At least she isn't completely ignoring my existence.

Tom almost felt bad for Ava, almost. They both knew her brother wasn't being serious with his comments. But they still obviously bothered her. Not that Tom didn't find Emmett's comments to be highly improper, he didn't see the point in fussing over it.

Realizing he had been staring too long, Tom moved his focus down to his own plate that was nearly clear. If he ate any less Gwen would not allow him to move from the table. She claimed it worried her how little he ate. Tom only looked up again when Ava stood from her chair. He watched as she cleaned off her plate and placed it in the sink. Turning around, Ava caught Tom's eyes again.

Ava bit her lip before speaking to him, "Can I speak to you after you're done?" Her eyes flashed briefly to the others noticing their attention was on her, "outside."

Tom also took notice of their small audience. He turned his attention back to Ava, "Yes, of course."

Ava nodded then left the kitchen. Tom shifted in his chair and cleared his throat. He looked at Gwen seeing she was already looking at him. "May I?" Tom pointed towards the door.

Gwen gave him a smile. "Go ahead," she said while nodding her head in the direction of the door Ava escaped through.

Tom gave her a polite smile and thanked her. He then got up and went in search of Ava. When he found her, she was sitting outside on the porch. He quietly opened the door and knocked the back of his hand against the doorframe to get Ava's attention. She jumped slightly at the noise, but calmed when she found the source. She waved Tom over to her and patted the spot next to her on the swing.

Tom slowly made his way to her and stiffly sat straight against the back of the swing. He also made sure to put a decent amount of space between them. He placed his hands on his legs, looking at Ava in question. "You wanted to speak with me?"

"Yes," Ava looked down to fiddle with the hem of her shirt, "I was thinking of planning a little trip out. You know how Lizzie has been about going somewhere.."

Tom nodded when she trailed off. He wasn't sure where this conversation was going, but he had an idea.

Ava glanced up at Tom, catching his gaze. He waved her on to continue. "I was wondering if you would like to go along as well." At seeing Tom furrow his brows in confusion, Ava was quick to explain. "As long as we get permission of course. I already spoke to my mother and she said it shouldn't be an issue."

Tom sat in thought, not knowing what to say. Obviously, he wouldn't mind getting out of the house. However, he didn't want to deal with the hassle of actually getting permission to leave. I need to have permission to leave the house, even without having my magic. I am not some bloody prisoner. Deciding to take the chance, Tom gave Ava a resolute nod.

Ava looked at him hopefully, "you'll go?"

Nodding again, Tom watched as the sparkle returned to her eyes. He didn't understand why she was so excited. On the other hand, he found himself reveling in the fact that he caused that sparkle. He made her happy.

How unusual. Never mind, as long as I can get away from this house for a day..

...

"Where are you planning to go, exactly?" Gwen asked later that day when Ava told her of the day trip.

Ava shrugged. "I was thinking somewhere close to here, but still..away." She sat on top of the counter she was previously leaning against. "Like Brighton or something."

Gwen stopped her letter writing to look at Ava in question, "Brighton?" Ava gave a nod in reply. "Why Brighton?"

"Well it's not a common place many go really," Ava said. She looked out the kitchen window near her while continuing their conversation, "besides, it's a lovely little place; quiet. It's the perfect place for a day trip."

Gwen returned to the letter she was working on, "I suppose places such as London lose its appeal after a while."With one last word on the paper, Gwen folded the letter and wrote a name on the other side-Carmine-then placed it on the table. "Alright, well I'll send this to your father and see what he can do about your one travel companion."

Ava sighed, "Do you think they'll let him leave?"

Gwen paused. "I can't say for sure. I believe you might have an extra person join you if anything."

"You mean a supervisor," Ava said without looking away from the window.

"Ava."

"I know." Ava looked at Gwen who was watching her. "It's just frustrating."

Gwen stood up and hugged her daughter to her side. "I understand. You want it to be a fun trip, but it's hard to have fun when you have someone watching you."

Ava shook her head. "Not only that. Tom doesn't have his magic, what could he do?"

"It's a precaution. They still view him as unpredictable, dangerous even." Gwen tucked a piece of hair behind Ava's ear, "I'm sure you'll hardly notice them there."

Ava gave a half shrug, "maybe."

"I'll send off the letter. Your father should give you an answer by tonight if you plan on going tomorrow." Gwen pulled Ava tighter against her side, giving her an affectionate squeeze. "Don't worry, everything will work out." With that Gwen grabbed the letter to send it off to Carmine. Ava sat in the kitchen for a few more minutes before going to her room.

...

The next morning Ava was sitting anxiously waiting for the fourth member of their party to arrive. Her father said the man joining them was an auror of some sort and is a friendly person. Yet, Ava was still apprehensive about having him go along, primarily for Tom's sake. Tom was leaning against the wall across from where Ava was standing. He was watching Lizzie twirl around impatiently, excited to leave. While he looked relaxed, Ava could see his jaw clenched and shoulders tensed. He was even more uncomfortable about having someone from the Ministry watching them. It was going to be a long day.

As the clock signaled ten in the morning, a knock finally came at the door. Ava moved to the door and slowly opened it to reveal a man behind it. The man was standing with his hands crossed in front of himself. He was dressed in a casual manner rather than the ministry uniform Ava was expecting.

Ava opened the door wider so he could walk in. The man stopped just inside the door, giving Ava room to close the door. She walked around him to face him and subtly placed herself in front of Tom, putting him just out of sight. "So, you're going with today uh.." Ava paused, not knowing the man's name.

Catching her drift, the man gave her his name. "Ronin Lawrence, ministry detective for the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

Ava nodded, "right. You work with my father then?"

Lawrence nodded, giving Ava a smile. "I do. He asked me specifically to do this." He looked past Ava at Tom who was watching him intently. "He said you would be more open to having someone he knew accompany you."

Ava glanced back at Tom, "yes that's better for everyone I think."

"It's completely understandable."

Ava noticed her mother walking towards them with Lizzie trailing after her. She hadn't noticed leave to get their mother. Her sister skipped ahead and stopped next to Ava. Her mother put her hand on Ava's shoulder, causing her to relax.

Gwen looked at their guest and addressed him. "Ronin, it's been a while."

He gave a Gwen a friendly smile, "that it has. Things have been busy, as you no doubt know with your husband's schedule."

Gwen nodded, "Oh I know too well."

Ava looked down to Lizzie who had taken her hand. She gave Ava a pleading look, anxious to leave. Ava sighed, "I hate to interrupt, but we should probably head out."

Gwen looked at the clock, seeing the time. "Yes you should." She placed her hands on Lizzie's shoulders and leaned down to look at her. "I bet this one is excited to get out of here."

Lizzie nodded her head excitedly, "can we go now?"

Gwen laughed and gave her younger daughter a hug. "Yes, yes. You all get out of here." She stood in the doorway as the other four walked down the front steps. She sent them a wave, "have fun."

Once the door was closed, Lawrence turned to the others. "Alright, you know how to apparate I presume Ava."

Ava nodded, "Yes sir. My father taught me last year."

"Good. You'll be taking your sister and I will be taking Mister Riddle." He moved Lizzie closer to Ava and stood next to Tom. "Ready?"

Lizzie grabbed Ava's hand tighter and nodded. Seconds later her and Ava were gone with a loud pop.

Lawrence grabbed Tom's arm. "Alright Riddle. Don't try anything today and we won't have any problems. Understand?"

Tom almost scowled at him, but held his face in a blank, cold mask. "Yes."

"Excellent, off we go." Lawrence apparated the two of them, leaving only a resounding pop behind.

When everything stopped spinning and they landed firmly on the ground, Tom pulled his arm from Lawrence. Ava and Lizzie were standing in front of them. Tom looked around to see that they set the apparating point to a side alley people walk by. Not many people walked by so far, leading Tom to believe they were not in the main area.

"Alright go enjoy yourselves." Lawrence waved ahead at them, "I'll be trailing behind, but out of your way."

Lawrence made eye contact with Tom, raising an eyebrow at him reminding him of what was said before arriving. Tom bit his tongue and looked away. This 'detective' would quickly become a problem if he kept treating Tom like a child that needed reprimanding.

Ava looked at Tom, noticing the exchange. Deciding to not comment on it, she turned to her sister. "Lizzie, stay close to me and Tom ok?"

Lizzie nodded distractedly and grabbed their hands pulling them forward. "Ok. Come on!"

Ava laughed, "slow down. We're right behind you."

Lizzie let go of Ava's hand and turned to her, "well hurry up."

Tom took in his surroundings once they were out of the alley. Everything around him was dreary, but not the dull gray feel that London carried. This town was lighter almost and fresh. He could tell they were close to a sea just by the smell of the air. The sky was cloudy, as per usual for the country, but lighter than other parts of England he was accustomed to. Tom was pulled out of his thoughts when he was yanked forward. He had forgotten that Lizzie was holding his hand. He noticed Ava's hand was now free, realizing he must have zoned out. Lizzie finally released his hand when they reached the main stream of people. She ran ahead of them but slowed down when Ava told her not to go far. Ava slowed her pace to match Tom's and walk next to him.

Tom glanced down at Ava as their hands brushed together. Ava placed her hands in her jacket and cleared her throat. "So, what was that about?"

Tom furrowed his eyebrows, "what?"

"Back there." Ava gestured behind her with her elbow at Lawrence, who was leisurely walking a few feet away from them.

"Oh that," Tom exhaled, "Detective Lawrence gave me a warning before we left."

Ava gave him a look of surprise, "really? About what?"

"He told me not to try anything while we are here."

Ava's steps faltered slightly, "oh. Well it's not like you could really do anything."

Tom pursed his lips, trying to keep a scowl from his face. "I know."

Ava bit her lip. "Sorry." She didn't mean to make him upset with her comment.

Tom shook his head, no longer wanting to speak about it. He changed the subject, curious as to where Lizzie was in a rush to go to. "Where are we planning on going?"

Ava turned to look at Tom while walking backwards in front of him. She gave him a smile and took her hands out of her pockets. She pointed towards the way they were walking. "We are going to the Brighton Pier."

AN: Yes I know I'm leaving you hanging, sorry! I just think it makes more sense to put the rest in its own chapter. And yes, I did just realize it wasn't renamed "Brighton Pier" until two years after this takes place..dang it.

I should mention that Ava's birthday is in April so she is of age!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.6K 1.3K 20
Your family bloodline is very famous. Your mother and father are Order of Merlin first-class. You have been sorted into Slytherin and excel in studi...
54.1K 1.8K 54
[ tom riddle x oc ] ✩ Viviette Swan is terribly devastated when her mother is killed by death eaters in the year 1995 - so devastated, in fact, that...
12.4K 928 9
Although Eva always knew that being killed was a possibility in her line of work, she never expected to be greeted by a deity that had only been know...
182K 9.6K 48
"Are you implying that I am responsible for Voldemort's actions?" Dumbledore's voice had finally turned cold. "No, I'm saying you're responsible for...