The Devil's Tear

By antheias

"Once the mirror is reunited with the tear, The Devil will ascend once again." In a mirror, the spirit of a d... More

Chapter 1- Prologue
Chapter 2- Sleeping Beauty
Chapter 3- Peculiar
Chapter 4- Convinced
Chapter 5- The Tale of the Devil
Chapter 6- An Unknown Figure
Chapter 7- An Unexpected Savior
Chapter 8- Revelation
Chapter 9- Goodbye
Chapter 10- Periwinkle Sky
Chapter 11- Confusion
Chapter 12- Arising Mysteries
Chapter 13- Vesta's Conclusion
Chapter 14- Exedras
Chapter 15- Living Dead
Chapter 16- Another Trick
Chapter 17- End
Chapter 18- Exposed
Chapter 19- A Mother's Sacrifice
Chapter 20- A New Mission
Chapter 21- Madness
Chapter 22- Capture
Chapter 23- Hopeful Reunion
Chapter 24- Wrong Destination
Chapter 25- The Dragon King
Chapter 26- Established Lemare
Chapter 27- Risky Tactics
Chapter 28- Ariadne Ellery
Chapter 29- Interruption
Chapter 30- Obligation
Chapter 31- Failed
Chapter 32- Disasters
Chapter 33- Warnings
Chapter 34- Ixeldra
Chapter 35- Rescue
Chapter 36- Intent
Chapter 37- The Deadly Duo and The Exedras Twins
Chapter 38- Past Sacrifices
Chapter 39- Live
Chapter 40- Persevere
Chapter 41- War I
Chapter 42- Conditions
Chapter 43- Clarified Plans
Chapter 44- Uncovered
Chapter 45- Reunion
Chapter 46- Losse Armont
Chapter 47- Gathering
Chapter 48- Game
Chapter 50- The Queen Returns
Chapter 51- The Queen's Entrance
Chapter 52- Extraction
Chapter 53- Colourless Flower
Chapter 54- Extent
Chapter 55- Of Love and Hope
Chapter 56- Procession
Chapter 57- War II
Chapter 58- Reawakening of a King
Chapter 59- Sacrifices
Chapter 60 (final)- Forevermore

Chapter 49- Identity

913 13 18
By antheias

                Artemis covered her face with the duvet, biting her lower lip in anxiety. King Xerxes and the four Queens were planning to become the sacrifices for the next sealing of the Devil. In all honesty, Artemis clearly understood their choice.

                What bothered her was that they would be quickly forgotten; no one in Tytania truly knew of the Devil’s imminent threat. The ones who did know were trapped on the Devil’s chessboard, with the exclusion of young Irma.

                It was impossible for her to sleep when she was already dead. The entire night, Artemis had tossed and turned on the queen-sized bed, fingering the pillows, curling her toes, and chewing on her lip.

                Soon, rays of sunlight poured through the clear windows, filling the room with a sense of bright hope. Artemis huffily lifted herself off the bed, and rubbed her palms against her face.

                She couldn’t feel any warmth.

                With a disappointed and disheartened sigh, she turned the brass knob and stepped into the hallway.

                -

                Vesta led Arisa and Losse inside an unfurnished, windowless chamber. The three seated themselves circularly.

                “This won’t require too much effort,” Vesta assured quietly, noticing the distress in Arisa’s demeanor. Contrarily, Losse’s jaw was tightly set in confidence.

                “Where is she?” He questioned. Vesta donned a silk teal robe, and pulled her hair up with a ribbon of similar colour. “Inside the seventh Colis.”

                “Seventh?” Arisa furrowed her brow, “That is too vague.”

                “The smallest Colis,” the queen specified. It would be easier if they had been given names to identify them. Losse interrupted, “I understand.”

                “You do?” Arisa asked confusedly. Losse nodded with a chuckle. He became serious in seconds, “Shall I?”

                Vesta concurred, but not wholeheartedly. Her silver eyes conveyed hesitance to trust the mysterious man. However, the look of duty on his flawless face reassured her.

                “I’ll require both of you to leave,” he smirked. “And a lot of space.”

                “Her body is trapped as well as her soul,” Vesta informed, “Can you do it?”

                Losse raised a brow. “Of course.”

                -

                Without intention, Artemis came to a halt in front of Losse’s room. From inside, she could sense Allegra’s presence. Why had she been in Losse’s room? As if on cue, Allegra’s voice made her jolt, “Come in, Artemis.”

                She entered, arriving to her best friend covering her nude body- as Artemis guessed- with the silk blanket.

                “Allegra, you-,” Artemis began incredulously. Allegra shot her a needle sharp look. She sighed, patting the empty space beside her for Artemis to sit.

                “Why did you do it?” Artemis inquired coldly. Allegra blinked at her tone, “Is it a problem?”

                Allegra’s bare arm showed the glowing horn of Losse’s control over her. Artemis herself bore the horn below her left breast.

                “Do you think the Queens should really sacrifice themselves?” Allegra questioned in a low, expectant voice. Artemis shook her head quickly, “It’s wrong.”

                Allegra laughed melodiously, brushing a mahogany curl from her cheek. “I really missed you, you know?”

                Artemis’s demeanor softened, “I did too. I- Why had I become like that?”

                “Fate always works in mysterious ways,” Allegra sighed deeply. “Look at what we are now… where we are… who we are.”

               It was puzzling, to say in the least, Artemis thought with a frown. She lifted her pale, lifeless hand in front of her eyes.

                “I want everything to go back to what it was before I changed,” Artemis whispered regretfully, “You should be living peacefully with Demetri.”

                Allegra threw her head backwards, inhaling. “I’d have never met Losse.”

                “Were you happy with Losse?” Artemis asked incredulously. Allegra nodded slowly, “I was.”

                Silence ensued. Allegra flexed her shoulders, “You had changed as a result of my death. Demetri had joined the royal forces. Both of you were living without trouble.”

                “Until the Devil’s tear came into the picture,” Artemis murmured. “You know something, Allegra?”

                “What?” She urged.

                “Even though we’ve been hurt, played with, and put through so much…” Artemis trailed off, and subsequently cleared her throat, “I don’t regret my decision of accompanying Rosy at all.”

                Allegra let out a playful smirk, “You met Alexei, too.”

                Artemis looked up in surprise, “What?”

                Allegra’s gaze was piercingly strong, “The way he looks at you is the same way Demetri does. Did you know that we’ve met Alexei before?”

                Artemis’s forehead scrunched up nervously, “We have?”

                Thirteen-year old Artemis and Allegra sighed, wiping their foreheads. Practicing Elemental magic wasn’t as easy as Demetri had made it seem. Both of the girls had trouble grasping the concept of manipulating their surroundings.

                They sprawled across the rich green grass, marveling at the cool breeze and warm sunlight that caressed their bare skin.

                Across them was a boy- who looked around Demetri’s age, fifteen- engrossed in a leather-bound book. Allegra’s mouth fell open. The sunlight glinted off his damp golden-blonde hair, and his sky blue eyes twinkled with excitement.

                As if noticing their stare, he looked up with a playful smile.

                Artemis was silent, and continued to focus her emerald gaze on him. Allegra nudged her in the ribs. “It’s rude.”

                “Who are you?” Artemis inquired loudly. The boy’s smile widened. “I don’t know. Who are you?

                Artemis’s mouth opened. “I’m Artemis Delara.”

                He shrugged, standing up. “My name is Alexon.”

                It was too late; the red-haired young girl was already deep in thought. She had been abandoned as a baby… but how had she survived with no one to care for her?

                Who were the Delaras?

                Who was she?

                Allegra noted the distress on her friend’s features. Artemis’s strong demeanor had flickered considerably.

She had never really found her answer, and she probably never would.

               A/N: Late chapter, sorry. Exams. :( I remembered that I'd never really explored Artemis's early life.. so I probably should before I forget again. ^_^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 5 9
An act of kindness backfires, only to cause pain and torment for the ones Diseia loved. When an act of betrayal rears its ugly she's forced to sac...
54.9K 2K 27
Amanda, a half siren demigod, is tired of assisting her mother and the other sirens in drowning men by singing, so she runs away to a nearby ship whe...