The Illusion (Book Two in The...

By SCCourtney

After her near death experience at the beginning of the semester, Georgiana Vertigo is trying to move on with... More

Description
The Illusion of Certainty
Saying Goodbye Before You're Gone
Next To Him
Who's At Fault
A Connection
Knives again?
Alone Again
Seeing Red
1000 Oceans
Defense Juliet
Letters From The Sky
Flying Hawk Lullaby
Reunion Is Such Sweet Sorrow
Not Listening...
Chess Game
Enter Imaginary Friend
All The Right Moves
Kiss Me Slowly
Take Me Down
You Can't Keep Me
Beneath The Fire
I'll See You Soon
Paint Me A Picture Of Pain
Bleeding Heart
Control The Bleed
Epilogue: Bed Of Lies
Playlist

Leads To Bad Things

7.7K 227 4
By SCCourtney

The room quickly faded and was replaced by one of stone. The grip on me released and I fell to the floor with fatigue. If you’re not used to teleportation, it makes you kind of queasy. I looked up at my attacker again and he smiled down at me.

“You may begin.”

Then he faded. What kind of person drops you off at an unknown location without much instruction? I was starting to regret not paying attention to Michael that morning.

I got up slowly and looked around. The end turned and I guess continued in a different direction.

“Great, that’s just fantastic. Do I get any help? A guide maybe?”

Nothing, I got nothing in response. I closed my eyes and tried to take in my surroundings. I couldn’t go anywhere else but forward, nice option right? I made my way to the end of the room and I was standing in the cafeteria at school.

“…he’s given up.”

“It’s only been a few days,” Sebastis said.

“Don’t jinx yourself,” Sophie said.

Oh no. What the hell was I doing here? I looked from face to face and I even tried to get the other me’s attention. Didn’t work though.

“Please,” she said. “I have bad luck all on my own. I don’t have to worry about jinxing myself. It comes naturally.”

“That’s the spirit,” Mark said. “Think negatively that way when something goes wrong, you’re prepared for it.”

“Dude,” Aidan said. “Don’t encourage her.”

“Dude,” she said. “I’m right here.”

The blaring noise started and I closed my eyes. I did not want to relive this. This was a nightmare I had to constantly relive time and time again. I felt something tug at my mind and I opened my eyes. In the center of the room I saw a split second of an image. It felt familiar… one I couldn’t quite remember but seemed to fit. Then it was gone. I turned back to the scene in front of me and watched it play out.

“Oh no,” the other me said. “Not again.”

We both looked over at the doorway and Underworlders filed in.

Aidan, Mark, and Sebastis moved quickly to stand in front of her and Sophie. Several of the students were panicking and trying to leave, but like before more Underworlders came in through the other exits.

“Hybrid,” one hissed.

We both flinched and she took Sebastis’s hand.

“Come to me and none of the young breeds will die.”

No. No, no, no, no. I was not going to watch this again. I didn’t want to see it. That’s when I felt it. Someone was forcing my memories up and in the front of my mind. Forcing me to relive this all over again. I pushed against that force and the image in front of me flickered.

That familiar image came back, this time longer. I got little details, like the man I’d seen earlier. He was there. Was he the force in my head?

Something pressed hard on me and the image of the cafeteria came back into sharp focus.

 “Find her,” the leader hissed.

His men fanned out in the cafeteria, grabbing students and smelling them. Then they would throw them away. The blaring noise kept up. I watched as one of the creepy guys came up behind Sophie and reached out for her. A commotion from the lobby of the dinning hall caught creepy’s attention and he stopped, arm still outstretched. The lead creepy’s face turned into a sick smile.

“Bring the Vampire and the Guardian.”

I watched as Luke and Michael were dragged into the room. Luke was conscious but Michael, he had a huge gash on the side of his face. His eyes were closed and he looked really, really pale. And even now, that paleness struck me. Like I was stabbed all over again.

“Come out Hybrid. Or you will watch your Guardian and Vampire die.”

I turned and watched as the memory of me stood up behind my brother and Aidan. She stepped out from behind the boys and stood tall. The leader turned and smiled at her. The creepy, who still had his hand stretching out for Sophie, switched targets. He approached her, fairly quickly. He lifted her hair and sniffed it.

“Hybrid,” he hissed.

I could remember the smell of his breath and it made me gag even now. At that I turned and closed my eyes. I plugged my ears and willed this whole scene to go away.

That presence from before pressed harder. I resisted and then I felt his slick and poisonous thoughts slide into my mind.

Open your eyes. Let me see. It was a faint whisper. The voice completely different from Michael’s, compelling me to do as he asked.

No. I replied.

The pressure increased and my eyes popped open. My hands were forcibly removed from my ears. Sound flooded me.

“…you and me both. However, I still look better than you at the end of the day.”

“Georgiana,” Luke warned.

I fought against the presence and won. I felt the image around me grow still. I freed my arms and put them over my ears and shut my eyes. I turned away from the scene refusing to even acknowledge it.

Stop fighting me. The venomous voice said.

Fuck you. I replied.

Then I felt that weight settle over me. The one I sometimes drew comfort from. I felt hands come over mine and he slowly pulled them down. He put my hands together and then tipped my head up. I opened my eyes and Michael stood there. Just like this scene, he felt very real.

Let it play out. He said.

I shook my head. I can’t. I don’t want to see this…again.

He touched my face. I’m here. I’ll live it with you.

Finally I nodded and turned around. I pressed my back up against him and he wrapped his arms around me just like he’d done when his uncle had threatened me.

I released the scene, like pressing play.

“Oh be quiet, Lukas.”

That voice. That one sound made me recoil away from the dream or whatever it was. I tried to retreat but Michael held on to me, stead fast.

You can do this. He said.

Jason stepped out and went over to the injured Michael. He lifted Michael’s head by his hair and appraised his wound.

“He’ll live,” Jason said, letting it go so Michael’s chin rested against his chest.

He walked over to the other me and looked her up and down. “You on the other hand. Might not fair so well.”

From where I stood I could see her efforts to get a hold of the knife.

“You are such a bastard,” she said. “It was you the whole time, wasn’t it?”

He gave her a sick smile. “I had some help. But in case this…endeavor doesn’t go well, they shall remain nameless.”

“I’m really going to enjoy killing you.”

“You can try my dear, but I warn you, better people, men, have tried and failed.”

“It should be a consolation that I’ll be the one doing it then.”

Her hand tightened around the hilt but Jason spotted it. He smacked her hard across the face and I couldn’t help but squeeze my eyes shut. I could still feel that hit. It stung my skin and I tried not to cry.

Open your eyes. The invading voice said.

I sobbed but opened my eyes. I watched her bury the knife in the restrainer’s chest. She pulled the knife out and then turned on Jason. He was ready, like always. He struck out at her and she moved fast, but not fast enough. His hand connected with her shoulder and she stumbled back. She regained her footing just in time to dodge his next move and cut his arm open.

He cried out and screamed. “Someone restrain her!”

Chaos ensued after that. Luke was fighting, Sebastis was fighting, and Aidan was fighting. For the first time I got to see Michael wake up and slam the back of his head into the creepy who was holding him. The guy released Michael and recoiled back. Michael freed one of his many knives and killed him. He paused long enough to look around for the other me. He started fighting his way over to her.

But the other me…this part I hated. I didn’t want to watch it.

I can’t! I cried in my head.

Michael’s arms tightened around me, comforting me. You can.

No Michael. Please don’t make me watch this.

I could feel the tears slide down my face as I watched Jason grab her from behind and place a cloth over her face. Her eyes grew wide and she fought him. I sucked in air just as she did. I remembered the sweet sickly smell of the chloroform and the burn as it filled my lungs, working its way through my system.

She turned the slick knife in her hand and plunged it back and into Jason’s side. She stumbled forward and fell on her hands and knees. I felt that pain. My joints ached from watching it. She turned around and watched as Jason took the knife out of his side.

No! Stop! Please stop!

Michael’s arms tightened again and his head rested on my shoulder. I lifted my arms up and rested my hands on his arm.

Jason pressed a hand to his side and his other tightened around the hilt of her knife. His head snapped up and he snarled at her. And then I felt like I was her. I saw him take the step towards me, I was the one on the floor.

I was the one who heard the whistling noise.

I was the one who felt that blissful moment of relief as the knife sank into Jason’s chest.

I closed my eyes and I was back in Michael’s arms. I felt my heart pounding against my chest. I couldn’t watch this. I pushed against the invading mind, the invading force that was making me relive this.

But I was too tired. My mind was drained. He forced my eyes open and I saw Jason sink to his knees, Michael’s momentarily happiness. Michael’s eyes widening a split second before he recognized what Jason was going to do next.

Jason looked down at her, saw her weakness, knew she was finally feeling the full affects of the chloroform. He fell forward and struck down.

My hands automatically went to my stomach as the phantom pain seared through me.

Michael, make it stop!

His hands came down and covered mine. I watched as Jason remained still and she tried to kick him off. A pool of blood beginning to form around her. The feeble attempts at getting him off failed and the knife stayed hilt deep in her stomach. I saw Aidan push several people out of the way to get to her. He screamed her name. When he reached her, her eyes were blank. There was nothing.

I squeezed my eyes shut and banged against the invading force. I pushed both him and Michael out of my head. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 122 40
Zoe cambridge is a 19 year old girl who moves to a new town , she always wanted to go to a school called regwood high .she doesnt know she will be li...
69 0 22
Marien has lived in her vampire village her whole life, hidden from humanity. But when her brother, Matthew, mysteriously gets sick, she has no choic...
403K 14.6K 37
「𝗨𝗡𝗨𝗦𝗨𝗔𝗟」❝ Wolves? So, what are the chances of there being Vampires?❞ ▪︎ Synopsis ▪︎ Juliet Michael and Embry Call had met each other during s...
525K 10.9K 37
A little blood, a love triangle, more danger than one girl can handle. What more could a girl ask for? Georgiana Vertigo has the perfect life or at...