Letterman Jacket

Par arrowheads

"And when I put on your letterman jacket, I still think about you." When Thea Simmons is tasked with writing... Plus

i. summary + author's note
ii. cast + soundtrack
iii. status
1 / eighty days before
2 / seventy-nine days before
3 / seventy-eight days before
4 / seventy-six days before
4.5 / seventy-six days before
5 / sixty-nine days before
6 / sixty-five days before
7 / sixty-two days before
8 / sixty days before
8.5 / sixty days before
9 / fifty-nine days before
10 / fifty-seven days before
10.5 / fifty-seven days before
11 / fifty-five days before
12 / fifty-four days before
13 / fifty-two days before
14 / fifty-one days before
15 / fifty days before
15.5 / fifty days before
16 / forty-eight days before
16.5 / forty-eight days before
17 / forty-three days before
18 / forty-two days before
19 / forty days before
19.5 / forty days before
20 / thirty-eight days before
20.5 / thirty-eight days before
21 / thirty-two days before
22 / twenty-nine days before
22.5 / twenty-nine days before
23 / twenty-eight days before
23.4 / twenty-six days before
23.8 / twenty-six days before
24 / twenty-seven days before
25 / twenty-six days before
25.5 / twenty-six days before
26 / twenty-four days before
26.5 / twenty-four days before
27 / twenty-three days before
28 / twenty-two days before
29 / twenty-one days before
30 / fourteen days before
30.4 / fourteen days before
30.8 / fourteen days before
31 / thirteen days before
31.5 / thirteen days before
32 / twelve days before
33 / eleven days before
33.4 / eleven days before
33.8 / eleven days before
34 / ten days before
35 / eight days before
35.5 / eight days before
36 / seven days before
37 / six days before
37.4 / six days before
37.8 / six days before
38 / five days before
39 / three days before
39.5 / three days before
40 / two days before
41 / one day before
41.5 / one day before
42 / the day
epilogue
nico romero
when she gave him her number
when she wore his scarf
when he confessed
when they took the long route
when he lost him
author's note

when she was scared

17.8K 990 343
Par arrowheads

three years ago today, april 2, Faust died :c

thank you for waiting for this bonus chapter! after this, we have two more and then done!

thank you for all your support. i love you all.

*

"Oh, the M&M's are over here."

Nico dropped the packet of chocolates he was holding in his hand—the one he was thinking of buying in replacement of the M&M's they couldn't find for over twenty minutes—and rushed over to the next aisle, bringing the grocery cart with him. The wheels squeaked silently against the floor.

JJ raised his arms triumphantly and waved the M&M's in the air. "They were hiding at the back of the shelf!"

"We're still not inviting them," Nico grumbled, grabbing the chocolates and tossing them into the cart. "They're on a date."

The blonde frowned. "So? Then let's crash it."

"No," Nico said, pushing the cart forward. "Leave them alone."

JJ quickened his pace to fall into step with Nico, wagging his eyebrows. "Don't lie to me, Nico. You want to see Thea, too."

"I do not."

"I literally know your secret already. Stop trying to deny it."

Nico groaned. "It doesn't mean that I want to crash their date."

"Then let's tell them to come over after," JJ answered exasperatedly, shooting Nico a pointed glance. "I'm going to text Faust."

Nico pushed the cart faster. "Whatever."

"I'm doing this for you and Thea," JJ said in a volume higher than normal behind him. "You should be thanking me."

"Want to say that louder?" Nico snapped, twisting around to face him. "Want the whole world to know?"

JJ blinked. Then, yelling, he said, "I'm doing this for you and—!"

"Shut the fuck up!" Nico hissed, slapping a hand over JJ's mouth. The grocery cart was left abandoned a few steps in front of him. "I was being sarcastic, you idiot!"

JJ's eyes crinkled a little. Nico could feel his smile behind his hand. "I was annoying you," he said, voice muffled.

The green-eyed boy narrowed his gaze. "It worked. Asshole."

"Dickhead," JJ threw back, whisking Nico's arm away from his face. "Come on, let's get some alcohol!"

*

"He's not picking up," JJ said, pouting. He stared at his phone and tilted his head. "He hasn't responded to any of my texts, either."

"Maybe it's because he's busy," Nico supplied helpfully with a sweet grin. "Maybe it's because he's on a date."

JJ's features drew together. "I don't think that's the reason..."

Nico sighed. "Leave them alone, JJ. They're clearly occupied."

"You sound disappointed."

"I don't. Shut up."

"I'm the best wingman there is," JJ stated, nodding. "I can't just leave them alone. I'm calling Thea."

"No, you dumbass! Don't—"

JJ shushed him loudly as he placed the phone on his ear. "Quiet down, you insolent child. You're such a brat, did you know that?"

Nico's jaw dropped. "The fucking nerve—"

"We bought chocolates for Thea!"

"But—"

"Hey, sweetheart!" the blonde jock greeted cheerfully, leaning back against the passenger seat. He winked at Nico, and Nico groaned, slapping a hand to his forehead. "I've been texting and calling Faust but he isn't responding. You with him?"

Nico took a right.

"What?" JJ asked. Nico turned to look at him, but he couldn't read his friend's expression yet. "Where is he? We wanted to ask you guys to come with for some beer and pizza, it'll be fun!"

Nico's eyebrows furrowed. Thea wasn't with Faust?

JJ was silent for a few moments. When Nico glanced at him again, JJ was already looking at him, and Nico could see worry etched onto his face.

Nico's fingers tightened against the steering wheel. There was something wrong.

"Thea," JJ finally said. "Where are you? Why don't you know where Faust is? He said you two were going on a date. What happened?"

Nico could feel JJ's eyes burning at the side of his head.

"You pissed him off and he left. Left where?"

Nico fingers felt numb against the steering wheel.

"Thea. It's late. Do you have a ride—"

Nico ripped the phone off from JJ's ear. "Where are you?" he said lowly. "Tell me now."

Thea's voice on the other line was quiet and soft. Scared. "Outside Pete and Katy's," she whispered, and Nico's chest felt tight. "I'm sorry, I don't—I don't even know why I'm telling you this, I should—"

"Stay there and wait for us," Nico growled, pressing his foot harder on the gas. "Talk to JJ. Don't hang up so I know you're okay."

He gave the phone back to JJ. He didn't realize his hands were shaking in anger until JJ closed his palm over his and squeezed it.

JJ's voice faded into white noise as he talked to Thea.

Five minutes away from Pete and Katy's, JJ tapped Nico's arm, covering his phone with his hand. "I'm moving to the backseat."

"Why?" Nico rasped, looking at him.

"I want to be one with the grocery bags," was JJ's annoying answer, and then he went back to talking to Thea while climbing across the console.

When they arrived, Thea was standing outside the restaurant with one harm hugging herself. Even in the dark, Nico could see her tear-streaked face.

Nico could feel white hot fury burning in his chest.

"We're here," JJ told Thea.

Thea raised her head and ended the call, and started walking towards the car.

JJ leaned forward and squeezed Nico's shoulder. "Calm down," he muttered. "Calm down, Nico. Thea's already scared. Don't scare her even more."

"I'm not a monster, JJ," Nico bit back, barely turning his head.

"I know," JJ said in reply. "Just...take a deep breath and calm down a bit."

Nico took a deep breath.

Thea climbed into the passenger seat and immediately pressed herself against the door.

Nico shifted the gear stick into drive.

The ride was silent except for the rustling of the grocery bags moving at the backseat and the insistent buzzing from Thea's phone. She was looking out at the window, but her fingers tapped her pocket once in a while. Nico prayed she wouldn't answer the phone—Faust was an asshole, and he didn't deserve Thea's forgiveness.

JJ leaned forward and tapped Thea's shoulder. "You feeling okay, sweetheart?"

Thea, being Thea, nodded. "Yeah. Thank you for coming."

Her voice was so small. Nico wanted to wrap his arms around her. Comfort her. Make her feel safe. Anything but this.

"We have chocolates to cheer you up," JJ continued, taking her hand. "We've got you."

Nico was grateful to JJ. His friend voiced the words he couldn't physically say.

"Yeah," Thea said again, in a quieter tone. "Thank you."

Nico's phone rang. It rested on the center console, and even without looking at the screen, Nico knew who was calling.

He decided to ignore the first few rings.

When it kept ringing, Nico's jaw clenched, and he pulled over to the side of the street.

Thea looked at him with wide eyes. "Why are we stopping?"

"I might kill the three of us if I don't," Nico answered gruffly.

From the backseat, JJ cleared his throat as he leaned forward to reach for the phone, "Maybe I should answer that instead..."

But Nico already had the phone pressed against his ear before JJ could even touch it.

"Nico?" Faust said.

Fuck you, Nico wanted to say. But he kept his mouth shut.

"Is Thea with you?" he pressed. "Do you know where she is?"

Nico hung his head. "She's with me."

His best friend paused. "Oh," he said, and it sounded like he was angry. "So she really did come to you."

"No," Nico answered, voice lowering, "she didn't."

Silence again. Then, "Where are you?"

Nico didn't respond.

"I know you're mad, fuck, but what the hell was I supposed to do?" said Faust, and there was desperation lacing his words. "We fought and things got out of control and I was jealous and scared—"

Nico banged his fist against the window. "I can tell you what you weren't supposed to do," he hissed, feeling the anger bubble up inside of him, threatening to let go, "you weren't supposed to leave her alone at this time of the night when you know she's vulnerable. She received threats, for fuck's sake, have you forgotten about that?"

"Honestly, man, you'd grab any chance to be with Thea like this," Faust said, and his laugh was as menacing as his words. "Of course I haven't forgotten, what the fuck do you take me for? Stop playing hero and prince charming, Nico, where the hell are you?"

Nico looked at Thea. Her eyes were big and wide as she stared back at him. "I'm not going to listen to you wallow in your childish jealousy," he murmured. "When Thea's ready, I'll let her talk to you." He ended the call without waiting for the other to respond, tossing his phone back into the center console.

Nervously, JJ laughed from the backseat. "Ah, that was an interesting conversation."

Nico ignored him and focused on driving the car back to the main road.

Faust was—Faust was confused. Nico understood that, even covered up for him. But it wasn't an excuse to be an asshole and a liar.

The blonde jock sighed. "Told you I should've answered instead."

Thea's voice was still so incredibly small. "It wasn't Faust's fault."

And her heart was so big. "Don't," Nico said, sure it came out harsher than intended, but he was angry and hurt and Nico was never really good with emotions. "Don't even try to defend him."

There was an adorable scrunch that appeared between her eyebrows.

Focus, Nico scolded himself. Focus.

"I'm just saying that he had every right to be mad—"

"And you expect me to be okay with the fact he left you alone?" he snapped, jaw clenching.

Thea looked down and shook her head. "No. I don't expect you to be anything. I'm sorry."

You don't need to apologize, Nico wanted to say, in a voice that was softer. More soothing and comforting. It's okayYou're okay, baby. "Stop apologizing," was what came out of his mouth, and he looked away. "I'm taking you back to my place until I have to take you home."

"We're going to have beer and pizza!" JJ cheered.

From his peripheral vision, Nico could see Thea's fingers playing with each other nervously. "Faust will come to your house."

"Let him," Nico said. "My front door isn't opening for him."

*

"He's coming here."

Nico kept his eyes on Thea's face. "So?"

JJ groaned quietly. "Please don't punch our friend."

"No promises," Nico said, whispering.

Reaching out slowly, his fingers brushed the loose strands of hair fanning her cheek. Gently, he tucked them behind her ear, and his thumb caressed the line of her jaw.

He pulled back and turned his head to look at JJ. "Do you think I'm taking advantage of her?"

The blonde arched an eyebrow. "Do you think I'm taking advantage of her?"

"What? No."

"Then no," JJ said. "We're Thea's friends, too. Just because you have feelings for her doesn't mean you're taking advantage of her."

Nico sent him a glare. "Wanna say that louder?"

JJ's mouth curved into a small smile. "Just saying, man. Faust was an asshole for leaving her alone. In the dark, no less, with no ride and no money."

The green-eyed boy switched his gaze back to Thea. His fingers itched to touch her. "I don't want to think about what could've happened if you hadn't called her."

"Yeah," JJ agreed, sighing. "Yeah, I don't want to think about it either." Then, looking at his phone, he grimaced and stated, "Faust is outside."

Nico nodded once. "Don't butt in."

"No promises," JJ echoed his words, following him to the door.

Outside, Faust was standing beside his truck. "Is she here?"

Nico climbed down the porch steps and walked towards him in big strides. "Yes."

Faust stood straighter. "Let me see her."

Nico kept advancing, shaking off JJ's grip on his wrist. "No."

"Nico—"

Nico pulled his arm back, and Faust saw it coming, really, but he made no move to stop him and let the force of the punch hit him. Faust's head snapped to the side.

"Nico, Jesus," JJ said, grabbing his arm. "Was that really necessary?"

"You want a go too, JJ?" Faust asked, bringing a hand over his jaw.

"I think Nico's done enough damage for the both of us," JJ said apologetically, grimacing.

Faust winced and touched his lip. Red stained his fingers. "I deserved that."

"You're not coming inside my house," Nico told him. His voice was low and deep and threatening. "I'm taking Thea's things and then you're leaving."

"No. I don't want to fight with you," his friend said, gaze narrowing. "I need to talk to Thea."

"Give her time. You're taking her for granted—you know once she sees you she's going to forgive you. She kept telling me it wasn't your fault."

"She brought up Sullivan," Faust said in defense. "She was asking about Anya and everything else I wasn't ready to tell her!"

"You're lying to her, Faust!" Nico yelled. "She has a right to know! She doesn't deserve any of this—you fucking left her! What would you have done had something happened to her, huh?"

Faust took a step forward and pushed his chest. "So you think you're better for her, is that it?"

Nico pushed him back. "I think you're fucking selfish, and I don't know why I put up with your shit even when I know it's hurting her. We're hurting her."

Faust's stare was heated. "I am not going down this path again, Nico."

"Thea is not Anya," Nico murmured through gritted teeth, balling his hands into fists. "Get that through your fucking head."

"Alright, enough," JJ said firmly, stepping in between the two and placing one hand on each of their chests. None of them budged, and none of them looked away from each other. "Faust, you were an asshole, period. There's no excuse for what you did. Nico, you need to calm the fuck down." To Faust, he said, "We're getting Thea's stuff. You need to go and cool off. Talk to Thea tomorrow. Alright?"

Faust's eyes were cold and menacing. "Fine."

"You also need to cool off before going back inside," JJ told Nico.

Nico ignored him, kept his eyes on Faust, and pushed his tongue inside of his cheek. "Thea has a big heart, Faust. Stop breaking it."

When Faust left, it was only then that Nico had noticed how cold the night was.

*

"Nico. I just wanted to say thank you. For tonight."

Nico stared at Thea. "Were you scared?"

She blinked. "What?"

Nico swallowed hard. "You sounded like you were. Were you?"

It took a few moments for Thea to answer. Her features drew together, and the crease between her eyebrows appeared once more. "I think I was on the verge of panicking," she admitted quietly. And her voice was so, so small. "Mostly, I was hurt."

Nico's heart hurt, too.

"I was really relieved when JJ called. I was waiting for Faust to come back." Thea laughed. "Stupid, right?"

"Not stupid," Nico said immediately, shaking his head. "He said you had a fight and it got out of control."

Thea looked down at the fingers on her lap. "I was pushing him too far, I guess. I brought you up too. It's what made him leave."

Curious, Nico wanted to ask what Thea had said, but at that moment, the front door opened, and JJ entered, placing the pizza boxes on the table. "I bring the glorious food! What're we talking about? Why so serious?"

Thea smiled, and it was her first genuine smile that night. "I just wanted to thank you guys."

Nico raised an eyebrow, because there was nothing to thank them for. "What for?"

"Well...I could've called Theo."

"You're making it sound like you called us and not the other way around," JJ said, flipping open the first box and dropping a slice on Thea's plate. "Calling your brother wasn't ideal either, sweetheart. That would've caused a bloodbath between him and Faust. I'm just glad I called you at the right time."

I'm glad, too.

Thea didn't look convinced. "Still, I feel like I've ruined your night. And now Nico is in a fight with Faust because of me—"

"I'm glad JJ called you at the right time too," Nico voiced quietly. Stop apologizing, princess. You did nothing wrong. "None of this was your fault. Eat up."

"Yeah." A curl fell over JJ's forehead and he flicked it away with a tilt of his head. "We specifically bought chocolates for you so don't say you've ruined our night."

Nico sent JJ away to pick out the movie, and the latter did as told with a huff.

And then it was just the two of them again, and there were a million questions hanging from Nico's lips: What did Faust say? Did he hurt you with his words? What did you say about me? How long were you standing outside the restaurant—waiting for Faust to come back? Why didn't you call me? How are you feeling now?

Do you love Faust? Will you forgive him tomorrow?

But he bit his tongue. For now, he was just glad Thea was here. Safe and no longer scared.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

8.1M 237K 41
"So this was all just a game to you . . .this whole time, you pretended to like me in order to humiliate me in front of the entire school?" An air of...
342 17 13
"I could never get her out of my head, no matter how hard I tried. I could never move on with my life. I fought, and I fought, but it was pointless...
212 3 24
(cover made by me!! [Wil]) we're two on this account so this story was written by two ppl!! wil and lay !aged up! kyle barely hang out with his frien...
Beautiful Lives Par Kate

Roman pour Adolescents

57.7K 1.7K 33
From the minute Lexi Williams found out her family was moving across the country, she was worried. She worried about starting a new school, making ne...