21 / thirty-two days before

"Oxbridge, Darwin, and Brickerton," my father stated, flipping over each envelope as he sat behind his desk, a grin reaching his lips as he switched his gaze to me. "All acceptance letters. Congratulations, kiddo."

I smiled and took another sip of my chocolate milk. "Thanks, Dad. Now all I need to do is choose."

He set his eyeglasses down on the table and stared at me, chuckling lightly. "My little girl is graduating high school and going to college in a few months. Where did the time go?"

"Oh, honey." My mother burst open the door and headed straight for the envelopes in my father's hands, opening them all spontaneously with shaking fingers. "Theo told me as I was going down the stairs that your results came in today. All of them." She gasped, eyes wide as she covered her mouth with her hand, then glanced at me. "Darwin and Oxbridge! Brickerton University! Oh, darling, I couldn't be prouder."

Before I could open my mouth, she had me in her arms, dropping the letters on the table before cradling my head with her hand as she sobbed quietly. Surprised by my mother's actions, I awkwardly put my arms around her and patted her back. My dad nodded behind her. "Mom, it's okay. It's just college—"

"Just college!" she repeated in exasperation as she leaned back to look at me, strands of her hair falling from her bun. Her eyes were red and a mixture of sadness and happiness, and her lips held a grin that was as wide as my dad's. "You're not a kid anymore. I don't think I'll let you go to Darwin and Brickerton. They're too far away—"

I groaned. "Mom."

My father laughed, the wrinkles on his forehead disappearing as he did so. "Lea, let our daughter choose whatever she thinks is best for her. I'm sure she'll make the right choice and we'll support you, kiddo, with whatever you decide."

Mom wiped the tears from her eyes as she stood, brushing her blouse and skirt down. "Yes, of course, honey."

I gave them another smile in gratitude before finishing the last of my milk.

"And Faust?" my mother asked, raising her eyebrow. "Where is he planning to go for college?"

Pursing my lips, I set the glass down and answered, "We haven't talked about it yet." My voice was quiet and small. "But there are going to be college scouts coming to the semifinals and the state championships. I'm sure he, like Theo, will have a few to choose from."

Mom nodded and took her briefcase, whispered more words about how proud she was of me in my ear, and left.

"Wherever Faust chooses to go," my dad said once she was gone, "I hope he'll be happy."

I hoped the same.

I was glad to hear the roar of the Chevy's engine and to see the fainted paint of its exterior when Faust picked me up in his truck. Theo's car was gone when I stepped out of the front door.

He leaned down when I reached him with a wide grin, lightly kissing my lips. "Good morning, beautiful."

"Thank you for the ride," I answered, skimming my thumb across his cheek. "I really appreciate it."

"How many times do I have to tell you that you don't need to thank me?" Faust teased as I rounded the vehicle and jumped in the passenger's seat.

I buckled my seatbelt as Faust settled in the driver's. "Until I get a car of my own to drive myself."

He backed out of the sidewalk in front of my house and quickly glanced at me, a smile touching his lips. "I like being able to do things for you, Thea, so please let me."

When he said things like that, who was I to argue?

About a week had passed and everything was back to as normal as it could be. Faust came to school the day after I visited him and although he seemed distant and usually lost in his thoughts, I was glad that he was okay. The talk about the comments had also really died down alongside the looks and the whispers from the other students.