Avengers Preferences and Imag...

By palmsandsunshine

I try to update weekly, but that doesn't always work out, so... Requests: CLOSED Avengers/Marvel characters A... More

"I Knew Her" | Bucky Barnes
On Your Right | Steve Rogers
Your Secret Abilities | Preference
The Book Store | Bucky Barnes
The Panels | Avengers Cast
Cheater | Clint Barton
Food | Steve Rogers
Bullet Wounds | Pietro Maximoff
Missing | Bruce Bamner
Your Couples Songs | Preference
Fav // Memories | Bucky Barnes
Flight Attendant | Sebastian Stan
Chance | Loki
Fav // Love Story | T'Challa Udaku
Right Next To You | Clint Barton
Fav // Mute | Sebastian Stan
Mute Pt. 2 | Sebastian Stan
Fav // Red | Steve Rogers
Red Pt. 2 | Steve Rogers
Letters | Bucky Barnes
Redundancy | Peter Quill
Hellish Flame | Pietro Maximoff
Fav // I'll Just Love You Tomorrow | Clint Barton
How You Sleep | Preference
Req.&Fav // Shy Girl | Steve Rogers
Fav // Useless | Steve Rogers
Req.&Fav // Useless Pt. 2 | Steve Rogers
Spitting Image | Steve Rogers
Spitting Image Pt. 2 | Steve Rogers
Circus Act | Clint Barton
Yes Ma'am | All
Fav // Breakeven | T'Challa Udaku
Behind the Scenes | All

Fav // Lay Me Down | T'Challa Udaku

1.3K 36 3
By palmsandsunshine

Warning: 😭

Part Two (...?) to "Breakeven | T'Challa Udaku"

Based off "Lay Me Down" by Sam Smith.

This time, it wasn't you who died, but someone else (or... and irrelevant character)

Plot: T'Challa struggling to let go of his best friend that died, especially when his main servant looks exactly like her.

P.S. the song doesn't really match the action, so just ignore it.

P.P.S. This one took so long to write😬😅

Yes, I do, I believe
That one day I will be
Where I was, right there
Right next to you

"Sir?"

"What?" T'Challa snapped, turning his head to see the servant that appeared that the door. He sat at his large bed, staring out of the floor-to-ceiling window that overlooked a vast jungle.

You cowered behind the door, afraid of his capabilities. "The avengers are here, sir. They are ready for the burial."

Although you weren't born in the kingdom, you still had a heavy accent. You could, however, imitate an American accent if you wanted to, and that was why all the other servants despised you. You could leave and make a new life somewhere. A better life.

His eyes glanced towards the window once more, eyeing the deep hole dug into the distant hill, shaded by a fifty-year old tree.

"Thank you." He stood up from the bed, fixing his suit, and heading towards the door. Before he could actually see your face, you scurried towards a hidden door for the servants, right behind a large painting and closed it behind you, walking off towards the kitchen.

And it's hard
The days just seem so dark
The moon and the stars
Are nothing without you

"We are here to celebrate the life of Celeste Ambrosi, and her incredible work as The Emerald Haze."

The ceremony ended after what seemed like hours. Tony felt completely guilty, and left as soon as it was over. T'Challa didn't blame him. He thought he was doing what was right.

The king was the last to leave.

Actually, he probably wouldn't have left, if you wouldn't have urged him to go.

It had started to rain, and the sun was setting in the distance, so you pulled out a black umbrella, climbed out of one of the entourage cars, and made your way through the grass, and under the old, fifty foot Jackalberry tree.

You wondered what he was staring at, and soon realized it was at the small, wooden cross over your grave. Celeste's name was carved into it.

It, of course, wasn't her formal gravestone, but just a simple marking to be placed until the final mark arrived.

"Sir, we must go back to the pal-"

"It's so incredibly unfair."

You were taken aback by his words. "I'm sorry, sir?"

He turned around to face you, and you immediately dropped your head and averted your eyes.

"You look exactly like her."

"I find that hard to believe, sir. Perhaps you're just missing-"

"No. I'm not." He took a cautious step forward. "I've had you as a servant for all my life, and I've never seen your face until earlier today. How absurd is that?"

You weighed your words carefully. Saying it was absurd would be practically insulting all ounces of tradition from the very beginnings of the kingdom until now.

"Depends on how you happen upon it, sir."

"Can you stop saying 'sir'?"

Your head snapped up. "Pardon?"

He sent you a weak smile. "There. You do look exactly like her."

You shook your head. "Even if, sir, I'm just a simple servant. Not your best friend. Now, if you'll excuse me, I was sent to retrieve you so I am going to do my job and get you into your car."

"Very well."

Your touch, your skin
Where do I begin?
No words can explain
The way I'm missing you

You scurried off to the bedroom, stepping through the painting like you usually do, and silently opening the door to the king's bedrooms. Setting down a tray of tea and the sugar cubes, you opened the curtains, letting the sun shine through the windows, but making sure no sun went into T'Challa's eyes.

Just as you left, you knocked on the door twice as you always did and quickly hurried off to the painting before the door opened.

This time, however, you nearly tripped over your feet and slowed yourself down, letting out a small yelp.

You covered your mouth and opened the painting.

"So that's how you get out of the hallway so quickly."

You paused immediately at the king's voice.

You turned to his direction, dropping your head. "I apologize for the interruption, your Majesty. It will not happen again."

You closed the painting door and made your way down the regular hallway, back down to the kitchen.

"Wait-" T'Challa called out.

"Yes, sir?"

"I-I don't know your name."

"That's the point, your majesty. You don't need to clog your mind with the names of unimportant people."

"Perhaps the name I'm asking for isn't as unimportant as you're making it out to be."

Although he couldn't see your face, you smiled slightly. "It's against tradition, sir."

"But I am in the place to break tradition as the king, aren't I?"

"Yes, sir. Of course you are. It's (Y/N), sir."

And you began waking back to the kitchen, like you normally would.

Deny this emptiness
This hole that I'm inside
These tears
They tell their own story

The next day, you entered his room, but were surprised to see he was already up, the curtains drawn back, and that same Jackalberry Tree with the grave under it was just barely visible in the distance.

You dropped your head and walked around to the other side of his bed, placing the tray down, and making a motion to leave the room quietly.

T'Challa's hand snapped out to grab your wrist. As they came in contact, you yelped and retracted your hand, apologizing profusely, although it wasn't your fault at all.

"(Y/N)," he chuckled. "I won't tell."

"Sir, it seems as if you are unaware of the traditions set forth in this palace. Traditions that your forefathers set, and that both of us are required to follow."

"I realize that, (Y/N). But I am mourning a friend. One who looks exactly like you. Forgive me for trying to live that time when she was still here with me."

"I understand, sir."

"And I must tell you, she was quite rebellious when we were children, not afraid to get in trouble or get hurt. You seem much the opposite, (Y/N)."

"She did grow up the life of a noble. I was born a servant."

"And yet you still have the same sense of tradition, or in my words: stubbornness."

Told me not to cry when you were gone
But the feeling's overwhelming, it's much too strong

Your day off was that very same day, but you decided to stay and save your vacation hours for another time.

You carried the tray over to T'Challa's room, not using the painting door this time, as this was one of those rare occasions where it seemed everything large was happening.

Servants were scurrying around, dusting the furniture that lay around the hallways, polishing the doorknobs, and wiping the large windows.

This time, the king was awake and already in his bathroom, as you could hear the shower running. You set the tray down and opened up the curtains, fixing the bed so that it wasn't wrinkled and leaving the room.

You heard the shower turn off, and quickly left the room, right after setting a suit and tie on his bed, which were pulled out of his closet. You closed the bedroom door behind you just as he opened the door of the bathroom.

A servant handed you a feather duster and a damp cloth, and you began working, dusting off the glass vases that lay on the tables in the regal hallway.

The door behind you opened shortly, and T'Challa stepped out, buttoning the last button on his coat, and turning to you, as you bowed your head in greeting.

"(Y/N)!" He smiled, his cheery tone a vast difference between the solemn, mourning voice he had been using since the death of Celeste.

You froze in your spot, as did the rest of the servants in that hallway, all turning to you with wide eyes.

"H-hello, sir."

"Are my guests here, yet?"

"Y-yes, sir. Shall I escort you to the dining room? They have already been situated there this morning for breakfast."

"Yes, please."

Can I lay by your side?
Next to you
And make sure you're alright
I'll take care of you
I don't want to be here if I can't be with you tonight

"Avengers!" T'Challa greeted, entering the dining room with you trailing behind him. Word had spread around the castle that the king knew your name, and the servants were staring at you as you passed by them in the hallways of the castle.

You pulled his chair out, your hair that had escaped your high bun covering your face. You then shut the door, and scurried to the kitchen to grab T'Challa his breakfast tray.

You quickly came back out, and set the tray on the dining table, moving each plate over one by one, starting with the main plate, then his cup of tea, then the bread and butter, and his utensils.

You set a napkin next to his plates, and he unfolded it and set it in his lap.

As you stood straight back up, you heard a gasp. "Celeste?"

"Cel? I thought you were dead?!"

Your cheeks flushed pink, and you took a step back, shaking your head. "No, Mister Stark. I am merely a servant that looks like her."

Tony stood up, pushing his chair back, throwing his white cloth napkin onto his chair.

He walked over to you, setting his hands on your shoulders, and pushing your chin up to look him in the eye. He let out a chuckle, his eyes tearing up. "You do look exactly like her. This must be killing you, Chal."

"It certainly is."

The door open and all of your heads turned to look at it. A servant stepped into, her head turned downwards and she spoke meekly and with utmost respect. "The house-manager is calling for (Y/N)."

You stepped out of Tony's hands, and bowed your head once, before following the servant out of the dining hall.

"Is the house-manager angry at me?" You whispered to her as you both walked swiftly to the house-manager's office.

"She seemed angry when she told me to get you."

She opened the door to the office for you, sending you a comforting look.

The door shut behind you with a small click, which you winced at.

"I heard the King knows your name."

"Y-yes, Ma'am."

"You do realize that is against protocol."

"But Ma'am! He was asking and I didn't want to decline because he's the king and-"

You were cut off with a firm slap to your face, which caused your head to whip to the side from the force.

"Don't talk back to me!" The house-manager snapped. She grabbed your ponytail, causing you to cry out in pain when you were lifted to your tiptoes. "You will not speak to the king unless spoken to. Am I understood?!"

"Y-yes Ma'a-"

You didn't even finish, before she threw you onto the ground and your ponytail came undone, your hair spewing out over your tear-streaked face. Your head had hit the wall before you tumbled down, and your cheek was throbbing. You were positive a bruise would be left there in the morning.

Suddenly, the door opened.

"Ma'am, the King and the Avengers are requesting (Y/N)'s presence."

The house-manager huffed. "Very well. Take her straight to them. Don't let her fix herself up. I want them to see how bad she's been."

I'm reaching out to you
Can you hear my call?
This hurt that I've been through
I'm missing you, missing you like crazy

Your cheek was red. You didn't need to look in a mirror; the way the other servant looked at you was explanation enough.

Strands of your hair flew in wisps around you as you briskly walked alongside the servant, who sent you an apologetic smile. Your throat tightened as you eyes began to water, but you swallowed the feeling down and held your head up, preparing for the disgrace that you would feel when the Avengers and your king saw you like this.

The servant paused next to the door and you stood in front of it, placing your hand on the handle as you took a deep breath. You twisted the handle, and stepped in the door, relived when none of the Avengers turned their heads at the noise, instead continuing their conversation.

You had to stand behind T'Challa at all times, so you tried to walk as silently as possible, wincing every time your heel made a tiny 'clack' on the wood floors. You stood a few feet behind his chair, your head down, until you heard Natasha's voice.

"Celeste?! What happened?!"

You told me not to cry when you were gone
But the feeling's overwhelming, it's much too strong

If possible, your head turned even father downwards. "My name is (Y/N), Madam Natasha."

You heard the screech of a chair leg against the floor and suddenly, a finger forced your chin upwards. You looked up to see the King sending you a concerned gaze as he studied your bruise on your cheek.

Natasha rushed to your side, brushing hair out of your face. You took a step back, your voice a mere whisper. "You should get back to your meals. I'm fine."

"Like hell you are!" Tony exclaimed. "Who did this to you?"

"I told you, I'm fi-"

"(Y/N), you look like Celeste, and you remind us of her. We are going to protect you the way we should have protected her."

A tear streamed down your cheek, and your head turned away. "The house-manager. She was angry that I told King T'Challa my name. She says it's against tradition."

You saw T'Challa stiffen, and his fists clench, your eyes shut in fear of a blow to your face, but it never came. "She's angry at you because I asked for your name?"

Can I lay by your side?
Next to you
And make sure you're alright
I'll take care of you
I don't want to be here if I can't be with you tonight

With a swift turn, T'Challa had left the room and the Avengers were babying you and the newly-forming bruise on the apple of your cheek. You tried to discreetly slip away, but hands were wrapped right around your arms, and all of the Avengers were watching you, and asking about your life.

They looked at you with a sense of familiarity, and you realized it was only because you looked like Celeste and not because they wanted to know you. You flinched at the thought of them leaving and forgetting about you, and that the only reason they talked to you was because they still had a sense of hope that Celeste was alive.

T'Challa soon stepped into the room, straightening his suit, with a small and barely noticeable smile on his face. He walked over to the group, holding his hands out in a welcoming gesture. "Friends, let's return to our meals. (Y/N) here will stay in the room."

Lay me down tonight
Lay me by your side

You had stayed behind T'Challa as told. You could have listened to their conversation, but you tuned it out instead lost in your own mind.

What was T'Challa doing?
Telling the house-manager she should have gone tougher on you?
Ordering her to fire you?

You were pulled from your thoughts when the door slammed open, and you and the Avengers turned to see a fuming T'Challa, the door to the room wide open, the handle making a hole in the wall. You winced as he stomped towards you, grabbing your arm and pulling you towards the door.

"Sir? What are you doing-"

"(Y/N), I'm usually not this harsh with people, but shut up."

And you indeed did. You heard shuffling behind you as you were practically dragged by T'Challa and turned your head to see the Avengers following behind you.

You were pulled to the house-manager's office, and the last person in the door shut it behind them. The house-manager stood there, looking guilty, but disguised it with a quick nod and bow. "Avengers, King T'Challa. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"How about abusing your power as manager and mistreating one of my most trusted employees. I expected better from you when I hired you."

She sputtered indignantly.

"B-but sir! She-"

"I realize that what she did was against tradition, but it was me who asked for her name. If anyone, it is I who is most fitting to change tradition, is it not?"

"Y-yes, sir."

"I'm glad we agree on something. Now, Miss Abdu?"

"Yes?"

"You're relieved of duty."

Her eyes widened, and she looked desperately to the Avengers for help. Her eyes landed on Tony, who shrugged with an evil grin on his face. "Didn't get it the first time? Just so you know, that was the nice way of saying 'you're fired'."

Lay me down tonight
Lay me by your side

As the house-manager left the room with a slamming door, you and everyone else let out a collective sigh of relief. You suddenly realized the irony of the situation. You were in a room full of Royals, riches, and superheroes and they helped you, a broke servant, fight off an abusive woman.

Nothing made sense anymore.

As they all lightly celebrated with high-fives and shaking hands, you tried to slip away towards the back door, but was stopped when Tony pointed a finger at you and smiled. "(Y/N)! Where are you going?"

"I-I was going back to the kitchen... to finish my duties for the day."

T'Challa chuckled and shook his head. "Well, we are kind of in need of someone to fill in our open spot here, so..."

Your eyes immediately lit up as you began to catch on to what he was saying.

Can I lay by your side?
Next to you
Oh, You.

Part three? :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 2.7K 43
A book of Preferences and Images. I do NOT do Thor and Loki because they will not be good. So yea. I do take requests. Everything Is reader insert! (...
28.2K 733 9
This is my preferences for the Avengers. I know there's a lot of them out there, but hopefully, this will suit your needs just fine. These will hop...
5.2M 169K 192
WINNER: Marvel Fanfiction Awards 2016 Best Imagines/Preferences/One Shots A collection of reader insert ( x reader) imagines/one-shots/fics of the Av...
326K 6.5K 43
Different imagines of situations with different marvel characters - most will be avengers - I do not own any of the marvel characters- all rights fo...