From Protector To Lady

By thunder1417

Rebecca Morin, protector of her close cousin Jahnai Rutherford gets a surprise when she is summoned to the Pa... More

From Protector To Lady
From Protector To Lady Chapter 2
From Protector To Lady Chapter 3
From Protector To Lady Chapter 4
From Protector To Lady Chapter 5
From Protector To Lady Chapter 6
From Protector To Lady Chapter 7
From Protector To Lady Chapter 8
From Protector To Lady Chapter 9
From Protector To Lady Chapter 10
From Protector To Lady Chapter 11
From Protector To Lady Chapter 12
From Protector To Lady Chapter 13
From Protector To Lady Chapter 14
From Protector To Lady Chapter 15
From Protector To Lady Chapter 16
From Protector To Lady Chapter 17
From Protector To Lady Chapter 18
From Protector To Lady Chapter 19
From Protector To Lady Chapter 20
From Protector To Lady Chapter 21
From Protector To Lady Chapter 22
From Protector To Lady Chapter 24
From Protector To Lady Chapter 25
From Protector To Lady Chapter 26
From Protector To Lady Chapter 27
From Protector To Lady Chapter 28
From Protector To Lady Chapter 28.5
From Protector To Lady Chapter 29
From Protector To Lady Chapter 30
From Protector To Lady Chapter 31
From Protector to Lady Chapter 32
From Protector to Lady Chapter 33
From Protector To Lady Chapter 34
From Protector To Lady Chapter 35
From Protector To Lady Chapter 36
From Protector To Lady Chapter 37
From Protector To Lady Chapter 38
From Protector To Lady Chapter 39
From Protector To Lady Chapter 40
From Protector To Lady Chapter 41
From Protector To Lady Chapter 42
From Protector To Lady Chapter 43
From Protector To Lady Chapter 44

From Protector To Lady Chapter 23

21.7K 702 75
By thunder1417

The rest of the journey to Tarantsmo went rather quickly. We left the inn early in the morning, hoping to arrive at a decent hour in Tarantsmo in order to unpack our things and get to know the aides and servants that are already inhabiting the manor. I found it extremely odd that I would have my own aide. I was more than capable of taking care of myself. Even so, I would not refuse the help, in fear of insulting Stanton or the aides in any way.

"We have arrived," Stanton spoke as he looked out the window.

I let my eyes follow his gaze through the clear glass and I was surprised to see a fairly large sized town coming upon us.

"This is Tarantsmo?" I gasped, surprised at the sheer luminosity of it all. The king had rewarded Stanton heavily.

"It is," he sighed, surely pleased with the notion of being in the highest power in the duchy.

"It is amazing," I spoke as I looked upon the many buildings and houses, some fashioned from wood, some from stone, "It has so much character." I saw people running to and fro, staring at the ostentatious carriage being pulled through the cobblestone streets. This surprised me as well...streets made of cobblestone with bright green grass surrounding the homes and buildings. This had to be one of the nicer duchies, economically speaking. I studied the people. Some of them wore very nice clothing, some wore average clothing, but I did not see a single person wearing anything like many of us did back home in Rillanon, nothing tattered or worn out.

"It does. Wait until you get a chance to walk the town, it has been one of my favorite places since I was young," he said, his eyes holding so many emotions as he glanced at me quickly.

I felt as if though there was something he was not telling me, some reason as to why he gazed upon the area almost longingly. Perhaps in time he would tell me...or perhaps I am only imagining things.

I became thankful that I was no longer wearing the wedding dress as I stepped out of the carriage. I was still wearing an incredibly fine one, but I felt much more comfortable. Gathering my skirts in my hands, I held them tightly as I looked upon the manor in front of me. I could not believe this would be my home from now on.

Looking behind me I saw that the manor was a distance from town, green grass, trees, a small river accompanied by a bridge and a cobblestone path standing between them. I was happy to have a rather large space around the home. I was curious as to what was on the backside of it, perhaps a garden, or stable.

It stood tall and beautiful in its position. It was an incredibly large building; it was almost difficult to actually call it a home. It was somewhat relieving knowing that Stanton and I will not be the only two people inhabiting it.

"Duke, Duchess," the driver of the carriage spoke as he bowed quickly before us. It took a moment to realize he was talking to us. A duchess. I would never get used to holding a title.

Stanton bowed to the man quickly before waiting for his next words. "I will bring your things inside to your chambers, the area will be ready in only moments."

"There is no rush, I must introduce Rebecca to the staff before anything else is to happen," he spoke as he looked to me and began to walk, beckoning me to follow.

I followed his long strides as we came upon the front doors. Standing tall they opened rather easily as Stanton pushed his large hands against one of the doors. Holding the door open for me I stepped inside quickly.

I was instantly in awe at the beauty of the place. The foyer was very, very elegant, but held a home feel to it as well. There were rich, colorful artistic decorations on the walls, deep earthy colored draperies and there were two rich oak doors on the other side of the room, assumingly leading to the rest of the manor.

"The door on the left leads to the kitchen, study, tactic rooms, aide chambers and a few other areas. The door on the right leads straight into the dining room, which leads to the halls for the chambers for ourselves and guests," Stanton explained as he put his hand on my waist, slightly pushing me forward, directing me toward the left door.

Opening the door, it swung open into a large grand hallway which had doors along both sides. Entering the first one on the left, my senses were soon overwhelmed with wonderful, rich smells and I knew we were in the kitchen almost instantaneously.

Taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes and was surprised to see at least twenty pairs of eyes staring back at me. Taken back I grabbed onto Stanton's arm as a reflex. He put his hand over mine before he spoke.

"Hello everyone," he greeted. I noticed they all wore similar looking clothing. The men wearing simple tunics and the women wearing light pastel colored dresses.

"I am happy to be able to introduce my wife, the Duchess Rebecca to you," he said as he put his arm around my waist.

Putting a smile on my face, I raised my hand, awkwardly acknowledging them. Many of them smiled and a few spoke friendly "Pleased to meet you's."

"You all know where our chambers are if you should ever need anything," he spoke to them. "And," he looked to me, his eyes holding mine, "If you should ever want to know anything, do not hesitate to ask any of them. I have personally employed each and every one of them, they are a wonderful bunch."

Nodding I glanced back at them, relieved to see that they in fact did all seem to be friendly faces.

"You can get back to your duties now," Stanton spoke before calling out. "Rory! Rory my friend," he said as he walked up to who I assumed was the chef, by the large apron he wore.

"It has been some time!" he said as he clapped the round man on the shoulder.

"It certainly has. I have been looking forward to your return," he said as he smiled from Stanton to myself.

"It is wonderful to get to meet you, Duchess," he said as he walked up to me. I was surprised at how short the man was, he barely matched my height.

"Please, do call me Rebecca," I urged as I grasped the hand he held out to me. I liked him already, shaking hands instead of kissing it or bowing.

"As you wish, Rebecca. We have heard so much about you since the announcement of your marriage was made, it is nice to be able to put a face to the name now," he said as his amber colored eyes shined with humor.

"Ah, I am getting distracted!" He said as he threw his hands up in the air. "If you wish to eat dinner any time soon, I had best get back to work. Now shoo!" He said as he pushed on Stanton's broad shoulders and giving him a shove.

I couldn't help but find myself smiling as Stanton laughed, the genuine sound of it raising my spirits as well. I do not remember the last time I have heard him truly laugh..or if I ever had at all. It was a pleasant sound and it made his entire face light up, his smile truly for once holding happiness.

It was clear he and Rory had been good friends for some time now, sharing a close bond. Tearing myself from my thoughts I followed Stanton as he exited the kitchen through a different door than the one we entered in.

It took a surprisingly long time for Stanton to show me all of the rooms of the manor. I was most pleased when he lead me out to the backside of the building.

Just as I had hoped, there was a lovely garden straight out the doors. It was much smaller than the one at the palace, but it was beautiful and I would enjoy being in it nonetheless. I was also pleased to see that there was also a small stable out in the distance. Stanton surprised me by saying that I even had my own horse now, it was purchased for me only a few days ago. I remembered the first time I had ever ridden and I looked forward to becoming more familiar with the powerful animals.

After the tour ended, Stanton led me to our chambers. I became nervous as he opened the door. Stepping inside my eyes automatically snapped to the large bed that sat in the center of the room. A large canopy headboard loomed above it and deep blue blankets covered it. I felt my heart speed up at the thought of sleeping in it every night with Stanton.

Shaking my head I looked to the rest of the room. I saw three doors on the far right end of the room, a fireplace with a loveseat close by, a large armoire, a small table with the few pieces of jewelry I had acquired displayed on it in a beautiful jewelry box with a clear crystal front, and a desk that was organized neatly with parchment, quills and other small things.

"The doors lead to the two closets and lavatory," Stanton explained as he pointed to each one.

"The first door is your closet," he said as he went and opened the one next to it. "Our things have been put away for us. You have also been given many new gowns and such from the tailor upon my request, hopefully they fit your needs," he said as he looked back at me over his shoulder.

"Oh, yes. That was very generous of you, I have plenty as it is," I assured.

"You can never have too many," he spoke. "You will never have to wear the same gown twice, if you would wish it to be that way."

"Don't be foolish," I chided. "I do not need incredible amounts of clothing," I waved as I walked to the closet, surprised to see if stuffed full with beautiful colors of gowns and boots all along the floor.

"You do not need them, you might not want them, but I will continue to give to you anyways. You are my wife, it is my duty to make sure you are provided for," he said smoothly.

I stiffened at the word duty. I was his duty. Feeling my jaw clench slightly as all of the too familiar feelings and thoughts began to creep back into my mind, I closed my eyes slightly, trying to clear my mind. Now was not a time to be difficult.

"There is also something I wish to speak to you about before we do anything else. It has been on my mind the entire journey down here," he said as he walked over to the bed and sat down, patting the bed beside him.

My heart sputtered as I could only imagine what it was he wanted to speak about.

"I know that being away from your family has played a toll on you and that you miss them greatly," he spoke.

I looked to his face, trying to read it but failing. His blue eyes were guarded, as they almost always were.

"I was thinking that perhaps, if you would wish to, you could ask them if they would like to move to Tarantsmo. It is only your mother, father and brother from what I have gathered. I know of an empty house in the town of which I think would suite them nicely."

I could hardly process what he was saying. He would do that for me? He would allow my family to come stay?

"You would permit that?" I asked, in awe.

"Of course. They are your family, I understand the need to have them close. Your mother would not need to find work if she did not wish to, we could easily support them. They do not need to struggle any longer and you do not need to worry for them constantly," he spoke easily, as if it was obvious.

Without thinking I threw myself at him and wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders. "Thank you! Thank you, I cannot thank you enough!" I said, tears threatening to run down my face.

"This means so much to me," I said as I pulled away from him, now embarrassed by my outburst.

"I am glad you are pleased," he said as his eyes met mine and he grinned a little.

"This is where I was raised, you know," he continued, taking me by surprise. "My family lived here before the accident, before I left to give my allegiance to the king."

"That is why you wished so hard to acquire the area," I said, nodding. I felt my heart reach out to the man. He had lost his family here. It must be a bittersweet ordeal in living here. The joy of childhood memories and familiar territory, but the pain of living with love ones lost.

"Anyways, you may write to your family any time you wish. Let me know their reply. If they wish to, I will send for them as soon as possible," he said as he stood up.

"I thank you again," I said, now awkward and unsure of what to do next.

"If you wish, I will let you explore the grounds until dinner, let you get acquainted with the area," he said before nodding curtly and turning away.

My eyes narrowed. As if I needed his permission to do anything. My emotions bubbled up in a quick burst of annoyance, but soon settled down as I made my way to write to my family. I could hardly imagine being able to live within their presence again, I had truly thought I lost them forever.

Perhaps this arrangement will not end so terrible, I thought, hoping with all my might it was true.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141 16 12
"Do you remember when I tried to sneak a kiss from you when we were children?" "Your Highness, I don't think this is the most appropriate time to rem...
156K 7K 34
Alexander smiled at her. "You are quite likeable, Emmeline, and I think we might one day be dear friends, but I doubt I shall ever wish to marry you...
1 0 3
the story is about a girl of just 17 who becomes a lady in waiting to queen Isabelle of England. later on in the 6 catches the eye of the king, but I...
4.9M 183K 55
Chosen when a child, Lady Joselyn is trained to be a ruthless killer. She is destined to be the English king's assassin and protector. Only he and th...