That One Summer...

By peytony22

Emma Jones and Liam Payne have been the best of friends ever since they met in chorus class back in grade sch... More

Before You Read...
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
Alternate Ending

Chapter 23

233 8 2
By peytony22

“Reservations for Emma Jones and Greg Lawson?” I asked the lady at the front desk of the hotel Sage and Niall had booked for all their guests who were in the wedding.

She smiled and handed me four keycards. “The two on top are for Ms. Jones, and the two on the bottom are for Mr. Lawson. There’s an extra one of each just in case you lose one of them.” It was hard to understand her English past her Italian accent.

Greg glanced down at me. “You mean we’re not rooming together?”

I smiled at the lady and took Greg’s hand and towed him down to the elevator. “Girls get one side of the hotel, and the guys get the other. That was what Sage wanted.”

He sighed as we boarded the empty elevator, and I pressed the floor number where my room was.

I turned around to him after the doors had closed and pushed him up against the wall. “But maybe we’ll have to make a few late night visits to each other.”

He grinned and leaned down to kiss me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought his face closer to mine. I could feel his smile as our lips met, and I found myself doing the same.

Suddenly, the elevator doors opened, and we quickly pulled away from each other. No one needed to see the extreme amount of PDA we were displaying. Not that the two people on the other side of the doors would have cared. They started squealing when they saw me, and they rushed into the elevator.

“Emmaaaa!!! You’re here!! I thought I told you to call when you landed?!” Sage grabbed me and gave me a tight hug. She pulled away once she noticed the guy in the elevator. A smile lit her face as she stuck out her hand and introduced herself. “You must be Greg. I’m Sage. It’s very nice to meet you.”

He glanced at me quickly before he moved past her hand and gave her a big hug. “I’ve heard so much about you! Thank you for letting me be Emma’s plus one.”

Aden whispered in my ear, “He’s really cute, Em. I approve.”

I laughed and gave her a hug, too. Once out of my arms, Aden received the same greeting from Greg that Sage got.

Sage grinned at me. She approved, too. “We were just going to go down to see if any other members have arrived. I tried calling you, but it went straight to voicemail every time.”

Greg laughed. “My fault. I made her turn off her phone once we got on the plane, and she forgot to turn it back on.”

I shrugged. “Sorry. We were just looking for my room.”

Aden winked. “Looks to me like you were doing more than that.”

I blushed and glanced at Greg who looked more proud than embarrassed.

“We should get out of the elevator now,” Sage suggested. She tried to help with my luggage, but Greg refused her assistance. Such a gentleman.

Aden pointed down the hallway to the left. “You’re the last door on the right. You’re right across from me.”

I smiled and started walking down the hall, expecting Greg to follow. He began to trace my steps, but Sage stood in his way.

“While Emma gets comfortable, you can come with me. I’ll introduce you to people and show you to your room.” She glanced back at me with the biggest smile on her face. She was going to interrogate him. Poor Greg.

My eyes went wide, but Greg just shrugged. If he was fine, I’d be fine. He walked past Sage toward me and smiled down at me.

“I’ll see you later.” He planted a gentle kiss on my lips. As he pulled away, he whispered, “I love you.”

I bit my lip and smiled. “I love you, too.”

He gave me my bags then went back into the elevator with Sage and winked as the doors were closing.

Aden laughed. “You guys are adorable. He’s a sweetheart, Em. Good catch.”

I blushed again and started toward my room. “He is.”

She nudged my arm. “Did I hear the big L word?”

I giggled. “Maybe.”

“This is a change from the last conversation we had. Did our advice help?”

I shrugged. “Like you said, when you know, you know. He told me he was in love with me, and my heart just knew I felt the same way.”

Aden grinned. “Better than Liam?”

I sighed. “It’s not a fair comparison. They’re two different kinds of love.”

She nodded. “I shouldn’t have asked that. I understand what you mean.”

I desperately felt the need the change the subject. “Is Karson here?”

The most animated smile I had ever seen appeared on Aden’s face. “He’s with Harry right now unpacking.”

“Is he excited to be here?”

She nodded. “I felt so bad for all the people on our plane because he would not stop crying because his ears hurt so bad.”

We reached my door, and I put one of the keycards in and opened it. “How are you and Harry?”

She sighed and helped me tow my luggage in. “Actually, I’m not really sure. I think I’ve been so caught up in helping Sage plan this wedding that I kind of wish it was me walking down the aisle to Harry.”

My eyebrows shot up. “So you think you’re ready to get married?”

Aden nodded vigorously. “We’ve been together almost three years. I’m ready to tie the knot.”

I smiled. “You and Harry are absolutely perfect together.”

She winked. “Match made in heaven, right?”

I laughed. “Of course.”

“So what about you? Are you thinking about marriage at all?”

My eyes went wide, and I shook my head as I took a seat on the giant king-sized bed. “Absolutely not. I mean, I love Greg. A lot. But marriage was a big idea in the last serious relationship I had, and it kind of ruined it for me. Maybe one day Greg and I will seal the deal, but that’s not going to happen anytime soon.”

Aden took a seat next to me. “Liam ruined the idea of marriage for you?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. He was so adamant about it during our relationship, and I was sure that he and I would get married eventually. But then I realized that the only sure thing is that nothing is a sure thing.”

“So when do you think you’ll be ready?”

I sighed and thought about it. “Honestly, Aden, I don’t know. I’m just so scared about getting married and being happy for a while, but then having things turn south and it ending in divorce. I don’t want to be another statistic.”

The smallest smile lit her face. “This is my take on it. If you don’t get married, sure, you don’t have to experience divorce, but then again, you don’t get to experience the happiness of marriage. Like you said, the only sure thing is that nothing is a sure thing.”

“But how do I know when I’m ready?”

She shrugged. “When you start talking about forever, I suppose. It’ll feel right, Em. Don’t rush into it, but don’t pass it up. You want to be as ecstatic as Sage is, right?”

I laughed. “How much do you want to bet that she’ll start laughing in the middle of the ceremony?”

Aden laughed with me and nodded. “I can’t take that bet because I know you’ll win. But really, Emma. Don’t sell yourself short of happiness.”

I smiled and gave her a hug. “Thanks, Aden. You’re such a good friend. I didn’t mean for this to be a Greg and Emma weekend.”

“It’s better than a Liam and Emma weekend.”

I sighed at the mention of his name. “Are he and Hadley here yet?”

Aden hesitated. “Actually, I forgot to tell you. Hadley isn’t going to be here.”

I was shocked. “What? Why not?”

She hesitated again. “Liam broke up with her two days ago.”

My eyes went wide. “Did he give a reason why?”

“If he did, Sage didn’t tell it to me.”

I jumped up from the bed. “Did he bring another date?”

Aden simply shook her head.

I sighed and sat back down next to her, trying my best to act like I didn’t care.

She cleared her throat. “Em, don’t attack me for saying this, but I feel like it needs to be out in the open.” I waited for her to continue. “You may be very happy with Greg, and I’m very happy that you’re happy. But you’re not over Liam. You obviously still love him, and I don’t think it’s possible to be in love with more than one person. So figure out who that person is before you screw it up.”

With that, she got up and walked to the door. “When you’re done unpacking, we’ll all be down at the pool.” She smiled, and she was gone.

I grabbed my towel and sunglasses before I headed out the door. I was strangely nervous, not sure who I would meet and how they would take me. I felt insecure about myself in my bathing suit. Over the past eight months, I had drowned my sorrows out in chocolate covered pretzels. Those things were sent from heaven. My thighs had gotten thicker, my tummy had gotten a little flabbier, and my arms had gotten a little floppier.

I set my insecurities aside and walked outside into the Italian air. I saw Aden and Sage lying out on chairs looking tanner than ever. And out came my insecurities about my pale skin. I thought about going back to my room and hiding in my bed while gorging myself on room service and soap operas, but I couldn’t seem to take those steps back inside.

I suddenly felt arms wrap around my bare belly to pull me closer to a ripped chest.

“I’ve been waiting for you for ages! Why are you standing over here all by yourself?” Greg asked as he buried his head in my neck, giving me gentle kisses.

I turned around in his arms and smiled. “I was debating whether or not I should go back inside.”

He looked confused. “Why? Don’t you want to have fun?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I just feel very…pale.” I glanced down at his tan chest.

The tension in his face relaxed, and he smiled kindly. “Emma, you look beautiful. None of these other girls here have the sheer amount of beauty you do. Besides, I’ve always been attracted to the natural look.” He kissed my nose.

I blushed and took both his hands and swung them back and forth. “You know, you can be a smooth talker when you want to be.”

He winked, but then got serious. “But really, Em. You’re absolutely beautiful.”

I smiled and reached up to kiss him. My lips had just met his when we were interrupted.

“Emma!” I could recognize that voice from anywhere.

“Louis!” I said as he took me from Greg and swooped me up in a big hug.

I laughed as he set me back down on my feet. “It’s so good to finally see you again.”

He smiled. “Talking over the phone is nothing compared to seeing you face to face.”

I nodded in agreement. “I know that much can’t change between Tuesday and today, but how are you?”

Louis shrugged. “Ehh, you’re right. Nothing much happens in three days.”

I laughed and suddenly remembered Greg. “Oh! Have you met my boyfriend Greg?” I took Greg’s hand and pressed up against his side.

They smiled at each other and nodded.

“Sage kind of briefly introduced us in between all her questioning,” Greg said.

Louis and I shrugged. “Yeah, she’s just like that,” Louis replied.

“But you gotta love her for it,” I added.

Greg laughed, and then we all got silent. We looked at each other for a few moments before Greg finally broke the awkwardness. “Shall we join everyone else?”

I nodded and squeezed his hand. The three of us walked to the side of the pool and met the rest of the wedding party.

Harry, Zayn, and Niall all got out of the water and gave me wet hugs.

“I haven’t seen you in forever!” Harry said.

“It’s good to see you,” Zayn added.

I smiled. “Believe it or not, but I’ve actually missed the craziness that comes from hanging out with you guys.”

Niall laughed. “You’ve lucked out these past few months. There’s been a media and fan frenzy over the wedding.”

I gave him another hug. “Oh, but I’m so happy for you! I’ve never seen two people more in love.”

Niall smiled and brushed some water out of his hair. “Thank you.”

Greg cleared his throat and entered into the conversation. “How long have you and Sage been together?”

Niall thought for a moment. “It’s been three and a half years. Best years of me life.”

Greg looked down and smiled at me. I blushed and received an elbow in the side from Louis.

I muffled the sound of my pain and gestured to Greg. “Have you all met my boyfriend? This is Greg. Greg, this is –”

He interrupted me. “Harry, Zayn, and the lucky groom, Niall. Sage made sure my presence was known.”

“I heard that!” Sage yelled from behind us. We all turned to her and laughed.

Niall went and sat down on Sage’s chair. “Will you put some more sunscreen on me, please?” Sage dug down into the bag next to her chair and pulled out a bottle and applied it to Niall’s back. When she asked Niall to turn around so that she could get the front, he kissed her quickly. It was a sweet moment.

Harry, on the other hand, had no intention to be so gushy with Aden. He went over to her chair and ran his fingers through his dripping wet hair all over Aden. She started squealing and hopped up from the chair.

“Come swim with me!” Harry demanded.

“No, I don’t want to get wet!” Aden yelled back as she ran behind her chair to escape Harry’s wetness. He caught her by the waist and picked her up.

Niall suddenly grabbed Sage and did the same. “I think it’s time for all of us to enjoy ourselves in the pool.” Sage and Aden both squirmed in their lover’s arms as they made their way to the water.

Before I knew it, Greg took their lead and picked me up by my waist and jumped into the pool the same time Harry and Niall did.

“Nononono!” I yelled before I hit the water. As I came up, I saw Aden and Sage chastising Harry and Niall playfully, and I did the same with Greg.

“That was not nice!” I yelled.

He sat there in the water with the biggest grin on his face. “It was fun.”

I heard Sage behind me say, “You know, there’s still time to call off the wedding.”

Niall merely laughed. “You know you love my spontaneity.”

I glared at Greg before I got an idea. “You’re right. That was fun.” I smiled and started making my way over to him.

He wrapped me around in his arms and smiled. “So should I do it again?”

I hit his arm and shook my head. “No. But maybe you’ll learn your lesson.” I flung myself at his head and laughed as his head went underwater. Greg had been successfully dunked.

He came back up with wide-eyes. “Okay. I’m sorry.”

I let him catch his breath before I kissed him gently. We were forced to pull away from each other as Zayn and Louis jumped into the pool, splashing water everywhere.

“Hey, let’s start a game of volleyball!” Aden suggested, and we all readily agreed and set the net up.

Harry, Sage, Greg, and Louis formed a team while Aden, Niall, Zayn, and myself made up the other team.

“Hey, where’s Liam?” I asked Aden quietly as everybody took their places.

She shrugged. “Last I know, he was working out with Niall and Harry. He could still be there.”

I nodded and took my position.

At first, Harry’s team was crushing us, but when Niall’s brother Greg showed up and joined our team, we became unstoppable.

We had just started another game when Liam finally showed up. My heart started racing, and I was glad I was already wet because I could feel myself sweating. It was disgusting.

“Whose team can I join?” Liam asked as he plopped down into the pool on the other side of the net.

Aden quickly snuck a glance at me before she replied, “You can join Harry’s team so that we’re even again.”

Louis laughed. “Maybe then we’ll stand a chance again.”

Liam took his position right behind Greg and avoided eye contact with me.

Niall served the ball, and Sage returned it to Aden, who then set the ball up high. Greg started moving back while Liam started moving forward. Liam should have stopped because Greg called it, but he continually progressed before he jumped up above Greg and hit the ball, falling back down on Greg after.

Greg came back up with a bloody nose. “Oh crap.” He hurriedly got out of the pool and started making his way back to the hotel. “I’m gonna go get something to stop this.”

I glared at Liam quickly before I jumped out of the pool and followed him. “I’ll help you. You guys keep playing!” I called back.

I took Greg’s hand as we walked back inside. He tipped his head back so that blood wouldn’t run down his face.

“I take it that was Liam?” he asked after we got back to his room and I had plugged his nose with cotton swabs.

I laughed. “How’d you guess?”

He smiled. “Why does he resent me?”

I shrugged and lied back on his bed. “Why do exes hate when their ex gets a new boyfriend or girlfriend? It’s their territory. Like when an older sibling won’t let his younger brother play with his childhood toy. Sure, he hasn’t used it in ages, but there’s still emotional value there.”

“So basically he’s still in love with you?” Greg assumed as he lied down next to me.

I rolled my eyes and hit his arm. “That’s ridiculous. And even if he was, it doesn’t matter. I’ve moved on. He should, too.”

Greg sighed. “I’m not questioning your love for me, really, I’m not. But the way you acted today when he showed up…Are you sure you’ve completely moved on?” He turned onto his side so that he could see my face.

I smiled, moved onto my side so that I could face him, and placed my hand on his cheek. “Honestly, I’ll always have a soft spot for him. He was my first love. But it’s over. I’ve found something better with someone better. I’m one hundred percent in love and devoted to you.”

That seemed to be enough of an answer for him, and he leaned forward and kissed me passionately.

As for me, it seemed like I was trying to assure myself of my feelings more than I was Greg.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 239 30
Kristen has no absolute idea who 'One Direction' is. Supposedly they are some cute band from the UK, but right now, the only thing that matters to Kr...
246K 5.1K 60
Julie and Liam. Liam and Julie. The duo were inseparable till the end of time. I guess that's a reason why they're Best Friends and soon, one fell fo...
219K 1.6K 34
He's her best friend. He's her worst nightmare. The choice is obvious, but she is torn.
17.2K 235 23
Ally and Niall, yes Niall from One Direction, have been best friends since she moved into the house next to him when he was 11 and she was 6. Niall h...