The Price of Vengeance- A Sky...

By Zahkriiven

Ven was nine years old when a raid destroys everything she knows and loves. She knows only one word to ident... More

Prologue
One: Helgen- Meeting Ulfric and the Stormcloaks
Two: Partings and a message to Whiterun
Three: Farengar Secret-Fire and the Dragonstone
Four: Dragonborn
Five: Destruction and Diplomacy
Six: Victory or Sovngarde
Seven: A Wind From The East
Eight: A New Path To Travel
Nine: Masks and Mistakes
Ten: How To Take A City
Eleven: Negotiations and Old Friends
Twelve: The Plan Begins
Thirteen: The Price of Vengeance
Fifteen: The Long Road Home
Epilogue
Author's Note

Fourteen: To New Beginnings

109 17 0
By Zahkriiven

I looked into Ralof's face. It was filled with remorse, and sadness. My first reaction was relief. That he was alive, and standing in front of me. Then I remembered our last conversation at Whiterun.

"Just go Ven."

I swallowed once. I was in no way prepared for the raw hurt cascading through me at the sight of him. And the fury accompanying it.

"Just go Ven."

His eyes were wide, pleading. "Ven-" I slashed my hand in front of him and shut him up. "Don't Ralof. Not now. You've said enough. I almost begged you to let me explain but you wouldn't listen. I'm just returning the favor." His parting words at Whiterun were still echoing in my ears.

I turned away from the stricken expression on his face. And started walking away. "I'm sorry Ven! I love you. Please, don't do this.", he said in a strangled voice. I stopped in my tracks for an instant, grounded by those words. He loves me. I clenched my fists, knowing that he wasn't lying. And I knew that all these months, I'd been falling for him too. But I couldn't lose him like I'd lost Arris and my mother. I couldn't go through that again. I didn't look back at him as I made myself step away.

He didn't follow me either.

It took me a while to clear my head after that. But I pulled my focus to the task at hand, and went to inform Galmar about the changes in the plan. He was skeptical. In fact, skeptical was an understatement.

"What kind of blasted fool idea is this anyway? Working with the Imperials? You're basically begging for a dagger in your sleep! And Ulfric agreed? Was he drinking?" And so on. It took a few more pointed arguments, and a promise that yes, Ulfric had been in full possession of his mental faculties at the time he agreed to it. Still grumbling, he leveled a finger at me and said he'd try. I thanked him, and ran towards the Solitude Gates where Ulfric was organizing the Stormcloak army. "King Ulfric! Galmar said he'd leave at sundown. What about the rest of our troops?"

Ulfric actually winked at me. "Don't worry, Stormblade. Galmar sent them a message as soon as you left Whiterun after brokering your 'truce'. Our garrisons from Windhelm, Riften and Dawnstar should be surrounding them from the East, North and South. And we'll close in on them from the West. There's no escape for them. Unless they agree to your plan. Which is a pretty long shot."

He still seemed unconvinced about getting the Imperial army on our side. But I'd realized the truth. The Thalmor could not be allowed to win. And right now, they were easy pickings, with nothing but a few bands of Justicars, and a single embassy. And if the Imperials did join with us, Skyrim would have more than enough men to defend her. Coupled with the geographical location of the country itself, as well as the cold and inhospitable terrain, any attack by the Aldmeri would undoubtedly fail. "We'll see how it plays out, sir. Now, let us depart."

We left shortly after that. I spent the ride thinking about how I'd convince Tullius and Rikke. I agreed with Ulfric on one point. The General had to die. He was far too stubborn to see otherwise, and I knew that he had no respect for the Nords, as well as Skyrim. I promised to myself that I'd make his death quick. Rikke on the other hand... The time I'd spent with her had fostered a grudging respect for her sense. And I'd seen an Amulet of Talos under her armor. She would see the truth in what I said. She was my best chance of winning the Imperials over.

We made quick time to Whiterun. The Imperial army was a haphazard camp, and Whiterun seemed to be occupied as well by them. I hoped that Lydia and Eorland were unhurt. I heard Ulfric murmuring orders to his men and they obeyed, splitting into smaller bands before galloping around to surround the Imperials. The Imperials seemed unaware for a while, until a scout from one of Whiterun's guard towers sounded a warning. One of my men silenced him with an arrow, but it was too late. The Imperials knew we were here.

Cursing, I pulled off my helm and rode hard towards the encampment. I heard Ulfric yell for me to stop, and the sound of another set of hooves in pursuit but I was too far ahead. The Imperials, roused, stood waiting to kill me, Rikke at their front. Talos protect me.

I raised my hands in the universal gesture for 'I mean no harm', but the soldiers still didn't stand down. I didn't really blame them. I finally reached the encampment, and slowly dismounted, hands still in the air. Rikke approached me with a hard expression, her mouth set in a thin line. "Tribune Ven, what is the meaning of this? Why have you shown up with these traitors? And why did you lie about Whiterun?" I spoke slowly and carefully. "I've come as a messenger of peace, Rikke. Hear me out, and if you don't like what I'm saying, feel free to kill me."

She considered me for a moment and nodded. She held out her arms and I took off my sword and handed it to her. She didn't notice Mourning tucked into my boots though. I then followed her to the tent in the middle of the camp, where Tullius stood waiting.

"Dragonborn," he said, his voice infused with venom. He spat on the floor. "Or do I call you Ulfric's lap-dog instead? You've ruined this country, you traitor." I didn't respond to his ruse. "I'm no more Ulfric's lap-dog than I was yours, General," I said in a quiet voice. "You're completely surrounded. Destroying the Legion would be so easy now. But I've told Ulfric the same thing I've come to tell you. He saw the truth. Would you too?"

Tullius was practically hissing with fury. "Shut up, you Nord scum! You're done for!" He pulled out his sword and ran at me. I inhaled before Shouting. Iiz... Slen... Nus! Tullius was encased in a solid block of ice and he stared at me in impotent fury. I took a deep breath to calm myself and faced Rikke.

She looked ready for a fight, but also seemed warily curious.

"Legate Rikke. Do you know how I got these scars?" I asked her, showing my arm. She slowly nodded. "From your battle with Alduin." I tilted my head in acquiescence. "Yes. I took down Alduin. I did that for Skyrim. And I believe that what drives me now is the same thing driving you as well, Rikke. Our love for this country." She glanced at Tullius, then back at me. "You could have killed him. Why didn't you?"

"Because I think maybe he deserves a chance to listen to what I'm offering as well. Rikke, you know as well as I do why the Stormcloaks fight. And ironically, you seem to be just as much a believer as they are." Her hand involuntarily went to her chest where I knew she wore an Amulet of Talos. I forged on. "The Imperials killed my family when I was a child, Rikke. I hated them and would have done anything to destroy them till a while back. But my quest for revenge pales in comparison with the ultimate goal. I gave it up once when I hunted Alduin. I'll do it again now, because the whole of Skyrim takes precedence over my need for vengeance."

"Stand with us, Rikke. Help us make Skyrim what it was meant to be- a glorious power free of the tyranny of the Dominion. The Aldmeri are clever. They force us to fight among ourselves so that when we lie broken, they can swoop in and take us over. I for one, would rather die than see that happen. Work with me and Ulfric. Please. Don't let the Thalmor triumph."

I would have said more, but I noticed Tullius had thawed out and he hefted his sword. "Unlike you, Dragonborn, I'm a man of honor. You might be right. The Aldmeri did do this to spread discord amongst Skyrim. But that does not make the Stormcloaks right! And I was born an Imperial. I am the General of the Legion. I obey my orders, and I will never betray my cause!" He rushed at me, weapon raised and I inwardly sighed. I knew this was coming.

I pulled out Mourning and cast a Lightning Cloak spell, watching as Tullius slowed, before warily approaching me. I threw fireballs at him, but he dodged them with almost uncanny speed. He pulled a dagger from his belt and threw it at me. I dived and launched a bolt of ice towards him. This one connected and slowed him down. I then blasted a ball of lightning at him and it hit him full in the chest, and he crumpled to the floor. I walked up to him. "General, I gave you every chance." I then stabbed him in his heart. He died quickly.

Rikke had her hand on her sword. But she made no move to unsheathe it. "He attacked me first Rikke. I had no choice." She looked at me a long while, before slowly removing her hand from her blade.

She spoke in a halting tone, "I've never stopped believing in Talos. Even after the Concordat. I joined the Imperials because I thought Skyrim needed the Empire. But now I realize it's the other way around. The Empire needs us. And we will stand ready beside them, when the Aldmeri attack. I will fight by your side, Ven, as will my soldiers here. But never make the mistake of underestimating the elves. They are utterly ruthless. They will not stand for this."

I agreed with her. "I know Rikke. But they shouldn't underestimate us either. Because we're going after the bastards. And united, we've twice the strength. The Thalmor will rue the day they ever set foot on our soil."

I grinned at her.

"The hunt begins."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 3.8K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
1M 40.2K 93
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
371K 13.4K 60
๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in ๐——๐—˜๐—–๐—”๐——๐—˜๐—ฆ OR ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› noura denoire and charle...
4K 140 19
June, 1965... Throughout Amanda's entire life she felt lost, disconnected, and as if she never belonged anywhere. Did anybody care? Would anyb...