The Fall of Gotham (Young Jus...

By lady_umbraa

When Wally West died in Gotham City ,Artemis was destroyed. She,The Red Hood and the team are taking matters... More

Chapter1:Criminal minded
Picturesque

The Killing Joke

313 9 0
By lady_umbraa

"He's staying in Arkham ?! Bruce!Why the HELL is Bart staying in Arkham?!",Barry demanded over the phone.

Bruce sighed,running a hand through his hair,stressed.He didn't want to have to be the one to tell him about Bart,he didn't .Not especially since Bruce had been there when they found Bart--or what was left of him .Half starved and completely rabid,the car on his neck was still there...Bruce didn't want to think of it now of all times"

"It's temporary...they have a facility for minors.Just until we get him on his feet.I can call in some favors,make sure he's taken care of. He's family,we're fmily Barry.You don't have to worry",Bruce assured him.

"Alright...alright just...Bart was like a son to me,  y'know...like Wally.And God...I've made mistakes,I wasn't strong enough I couldn't protect them,any of them...and then Iris she...I don't think I can do this...he's all I've got left",Barry said.Bruce nodded.

Thoughts of that day before Tim and Bart vanished--how happy he and Bart were before that day came,Barry happy...that was the last time Bruce saw the light behind Barry's eyes...

"You have nothing to worry about,Barry.I'm coming by to see you later this week,okay? But you know...working late nights has got me tired",Bruce said.

Barry's known Bruce long enough to know exactly what that meant,but chose not to speak on it.The amount of good people in Gotham seems to dwindle by the day ,but Barry knew that Bruce was one of the good ones.

"I understand.Take care of yourself,things are getting hectic,especially with all the freak shows showing up lately and because it's Gotham ...I just know things went even further down the can since I been in",Barry said.

"Thirty seconds Allen!", a voice called and Barry sighed.

"Well,it's good to here from you Bruce",Barry said.

"You too ,Barry.Be seeing you",Bruce said,and the line went dead.

When Bruce put the phone down,his eyes went to the setting sun and a deep frown pulled his lips.

He could go out,he should,but that Tigress had did a number on him--but that was only because he underestimated her.

As Bruce,he knew Artemis Crock,knew her to be in an utter state of despair. It hurt when Wally passed,it hurt everyone,but for her..

..it destroyed her world.

But Bruce still asks Artemis to stop being Artemis...on those days when the sun hides behind gray clouds (which happened a lot in Gotham) because neither liked the light for some bizarre reason.He had asked her to let it go,to move on to put the mask away,put the bow down if she needed time--and she did.She traded in the green uniform and the playful sparring matches,he and Wally's games for orange and black and disregard for the world.

"I made a promise--me and the Flash...we're going to buy the world",she said,they said.It use to bea joke really.

Artemis doesn't joke anymore--nothing is funny to the tigress.

The cuts,bruises,scrapes and dislocated shoulder were reminders of it.

"You can't go out tonight,Bruce...you and I both know this",Alfred said.

Bruce's frown deepened as he eased into his seat,arm in asking.

"I know,but there's still work to do.I'm calling for backup for the night.If you need me,I'll be in the cave",he said.

And Alfred knew he'd be there all night because these days,that was how things were.

****

It was evening now and as the sun was moving from the sky,shifts were changing down at the Gotham City Police department.Officer Dick Grayson was on his way back in to file a police report after an attempted mugging in broad day light because Gotham was that kinda city.

"Hey,Grayson ,have fun out there?",Barabra Gordon called from the front desk,eyes looking up from the computer.She moved her cane aside and Dick felt his heart begin to sink.

"What ,you mean with repeated traffic stops and a guy dressed like Disco Dan hopped up on meth and trying to steal some lady's wig at gunpoint? Yeah,it was groovy",Dick said.Barbara chuckled,still tying away at her computer.

"Hey,welcome to Gotham",she said.

"Tell me about it--things were a bit less weird in Happy Harbor,but I guess it gives the place character,huh?",he said.

Dick Grayson wasn't a Gothamite,not really.He was born in Happy Harbor  to a happy family that travelled the country,The Amazing Graysons--acrobats,and that was something Dick never forgot,the training,their performances,it made his leaps of faith come easy like breathing-then a series of tragedies took him from there to maybe one of the most dangerous places in America with the desire to make a difference.

"Something like that",Barbara said.

"Couldn't agree more...so uh...see you tonight?",he said and Barbara grinned.

"You can see me anytime you want ,Grayson",she said,a smirk on-her lips.

"Do not say that when we're on the job,babe--I might just jump you in the break room",he said,lowly.

"No ya'won't,you love your job too much--here",Barbara said slipping him a note.

"Thanks.And you're right,not the break room...but I can definitely grab a cruiser and...take you for a ride",Dick said.A blushed was appearing on Barbara's pale face and shes lapped Dick in the am with a stack of papers.

"Get outta here you,work to do",Barabra said.

"Yes ma'am",he said and dipped off ,a smirk on his lips.

"Jesus,she has you by the balls,Grayson",Harvey Bullock said as he strode by.

"That's only cuz I gave to her",Dick said.

"Be careful with that though",Harvey said low.

"I know,I know,not stupid",he said.

"Really?Well sometimes,I have to wonder...anyway,they want you in there questioning that Allen kid,you an;Jim on the double",Harvey said.

"On it,I'll be back there in a moment,just lemme start this report and I'll head on",Dick said.

As soon as Dick got to his desk,he unfolded a note that had a crudely drawn Bat signal and a note .He reached for a pen and began scribbling a new note.On his way out,he passed Barbara and headed off .

****

"So you know him,huh?",Jim said.

"Something like that ",Dick said.

"I wanna tell you not to get too personal but--he looks like he needs personal right now,don't you think?",Jim Gordon said.

"Yeah,yeah,I've got it.I knew Bart from a few years back...I just have to see if he remembers me...maybe we could get somewhere",Dick said.

When the door to the office closed,Dick was alone with a Bart Allen that looked completely unfamiliar.

His hair had grown and was framing his face,he was taller than he use to be, but still baby-faced.He also looked like he hadn't slept in ages.Bart use to be so bright and full of life--most of the time.There were times when he would completely shutdown and never explained why,by despite that,Dick had come to care or Bart about as much as he cared for Wally.

"Hey Bart",Dick said.A smile crossed Bart's lips for a split second a smile that dint touch his eyes.

"Stop looking at the battle scars...you'll blow your concentration ",Bart said cheerfully

"Bart--"

"Don't...just please don't.Wally wouldn't want you on the case forever",Bart said.

Dick sighed..closed his eyes to gain his bearings.

"You've got the worse poker face in the Bat-Family,you know that?",Bart said.

"Rather you didn't bring that up now of all times",Dick said.

"Maybe--just a little bitter about what happened.I was happier hangin' out with Wally",Bart said.

'Bart...Wally's...Wally's gone",Dick said,feeling a pang in his chest.

"I know.That's why I'm here...I wanna know how it happened--I wanna know how a guy as fast as him gets caught.You wanna know why I'm here and since we totally know each other,we can help out ,right?",Bart said,that false smile back on his face.

"You...you'd have to ask Artemis about it.But she won't talk'",Dick said.

"Not to you.You two don't get along anymore,I hear--but maybe I'm wrong.I took a pretty long nap",Bart said yawning,just said nonchalant.

"Okay,I'm being straight forward.Bart...where have you been,what happened,who did this to you?We have to bring them in so no one gets hurt like that again",Dick said.

"Pain's part of the cycle of life,somebody's always gonna get hurt,especially in Gotham--but I'll bite.You wanna know where I've been? In a ditch..that's the last thing I remember.As for who di it,it doesn't matter because no one's doing anything about it",Bart said.

"Not if you don't cooperate,Bart",Dick said.

Bart's nails dug into the seat a moment,a look of contemplation on his face.

"I head you had a funeral for me...heard it was nice.You all know who did this to me,put this here",he said pointing to the faded scar on his neck.

"It was the same person who did Wally in",Bart said.

"We don't know what happened to him Dick said.

"Yes you do but--I think that's a trick question..a lotta stuff went down y'know...stuff that was so not crash...opposite really.Don't wanna talk about that though but ,how 'bout a joke,huh?The idea is like this.."it takes one really,really,really bad day to make someone lose their shit,make you go insane--have you ever heard "The Killing Joke?",it's pretty funny really...and it goes something like this",Bart said ,a mad grin forming on his lips.

**

A slammed door later,Dick was making his way away from the office.

"Whoa,whao,what happened in there?",Jim asks.

"H'es too far gone...send him back to Arkham",Dick said.Jim looked to the door ,then to Dick and followed after.

"Hey,c'mon,he's just a kid.You can't give upon him or his case-"

"Bart Allen is dead.That thing in there?That's not him anymore,it's not",Dick said.

Jim could see the anger radiating off of him,and attempted to cool him down.

"C'mon Dick,walk with me a bit,huh?",Jim said.

"Look,I'm fine-"

"No you're not Grayson.C'mon,talk to me,I'm here",Jim said,as the two headed to the break room.

Hot cup of coffee,dark and sweet the way Dick liked it (Wally too...they bonded over coffee often after one of their heists...). Jim got himself a cup too,leaned against the counter,waited.

"The Hush Case,the one where they took Tim Drake and tried to hostage Wayne Enterprises? There was another boy...it was Bart.I saw his body ,Jim,ask Nygma",Dick said. Jim,intrigued ,listened.Toxin.Joker Toxin

"You sure it was him?",Jim asked.

"YES.I personally ID'd him all those years ago,before I was on the force.I double checked the archives and all that ,we had his funeral for God's sake",Dick said.

"I'm sorry to here that--maybe if we knew how he passed off...",Jim started but was cut off.

"Joker and a carving knife.If you look closely,he still has scars in the side of of his mouth,his neck,wrists,it all matches the autopsy files.I know what happens,I know we close the case,move on,but some times you just get a case"

"--where everything just isn't adding up",Jim finished.

"You get that case and you just can't leave it be,hell with what the rest say",Jim said.

"Trust me...I know the feeling.I worked the Wayne Case for years...just kept leading me down the rabbit hole.That was 'bout the time the city started goin' to shit.You do know,that this is probably one of those cases",Jim said.

"Yeah...yeah it is,that much I know.But I can't leave it alone,you know this",Dick said.

"I know that and I don't expect you too",Jim said,approaching him

"I'm just warning you ahead of time--your hands are gonna get dirty.Maybe go talk to...him",Jim said.

"You're probably right",Dick said.

"We're not from Gotham,neither of us.It's outside looking in through all this mess that everyone else here calls normal.Maybe somebody who's Gotham should help",Jim said.

**

The last time Dick laid eyes on Bart,he was being led away in a strait jacket.

"I'm sorry Dick...I am...I'm sorry that I'm not the person I was suppose to be anymore!',he said,but Dick just stood outside he station and didn't look him in the eye.

"But Wally said he forgives you",he called.

Madness,just madness and manipulations--he was turning from gray to black like Artemis,like Barry...like Wally leaving had poisoned the well of their lives

God knows that Dick was ruined--it felt like every criminal he hunted,he was hunting for wally..

The doors on the truck slam and Dick Grayson's hands are shaking. Black and blue peak from beneath his shirt and he looked at the letter Barbara had given him..

'GOTHAM NEEDS YOU'.

Dick crumpled the note .Having already clocked out,it was time for him to go.

He placed his communicator on his ear,ducked into an alley.

****

Bart was lead back to his cell in a drug induced daze, A straight jacket was wrapped securely around him,but Bart still fought like hell.

"Get the hell off me!I know what I saw!I know what I SAW!",Bart was screaming,before being shoved into the padded cell and locked in.

"Bastards...",he muttered .Sitting up in his seat,Bart started working on his bonds .Because he was skinny as all hell,it wouldn't be that hard--he's done worse regrettably.

"Blue Beetle,Blue Beetle...where are you?",he said to himself as he was getting himself out of the sleeves.An hour,maybe two,possibly three with the drugs in him,provided he didn't fall asleep --but Bart was sure he could do it.

He came to Gotham for a reason,came to Arkham for a reason.They thought that he was insane (actually,Bart didn't doubt that,didn't doubt that he was mentally disturbed to some degree and that was okay),but not quite.Maybe a bit obsessive,with a touch of derange ,a LOT of crazy (Wally's gang was crazy,that's how they rolled,Dick included--now he's acting all different..apparently,he's a cop now) and a helluva a lot of creativity.And a stunt like this required all of the above.Bart had heard rumors about The Beetle,heard stories,tales,and he was at this point one hundred percent sure that this is where he would find him.

All Bart had to do was play the waiting game.

Before he was found,he waited in a ditch,waited while bleeding to death in the rain.Bart was good at waiting--because everyone else was too slow and in his eyes,he was always waiting.

Just like Wally.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 11.8K 35
เชœโ€โžดแกฃ๐ญฉ hidden, various hazbin hotel characters x female reader เชœโ€โžดแกฃ๐ญฉ ๐‘ฐ๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ we follow an angel named y/n, who had her bes...
136K 559 36
PLEASE NO HATE! U READ THE TITLE IF U DONT WANNA READ DONT READ!
282K 6.1K 33
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
784K 31.1K 42
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...