The Killing Joke

"He's staying in Arkham ?! Bruce!Why the HELL is Bart staying in Arkham?!",Barry demanded over the phone.

Bruce sighed,running a hand through his hair,stressed.He didn't want to have to be the one to tell him about Bart,he didn't .Not especially since Bruce had been there when they found Bart--or what was left of him .Half starved and completely rabid,the car on his neck was still there...Bruce didn't want to think of it now of all times"

"It's temporary...they have a facility for minors.Just until we get him on his feet.I can call in some favors,make sure he's taken care of. He's family,we're fmily Barry.You don't have to worry",Bruce assured him.

"Alright...alright just...Bart was like a son to me,  y'know...like Wally.And God...I've made mistakes,I wasn't strong enough I couldn't protect them,any of them...and then Iris she...I don't think I can do this...he's all I've got left",Barry said.Bruce nodded.

Thoughts of that day before Tim and Bart vanished--how happy he and Bart were before that day came,Barry happy...that was the last time Bruce saw the light behind Barry's eyes...

"You have nothing to worry about,Barry.I'm coming by to see you later this week,okay? But you know...working late nights has got me tired",Bruce said.

Barry's known Bruce long enough to know exactly what that meant,but chose not to speak on it.The amount of good people in Gotham seems to dwindle by the day ,but Barry knew that Bruce was one of the good ones.

"I understand.Take care of yourself,things are getting hectic,especially with all the freak shows showing up lately and because it's Gotham ...I just know things went even further down the can since I been in",Barry said.

"Thirty seconds Allen!", a voice called and Barry sighed.

"Well,it's good to here from you Bruce",Barry said.

"You too ,Barry.Be seeing you",Bruce said,and the line went dead.

When Bruce put the phone down,his eyes went to the setting sun and a deep frown pulled his lips.

He could go out,he should,but that Tigress had did a number on him--but that was only because he underestimated her.

As Bruce,he knew Artemis Crock,knew her to be in an utter state of despair. It hurt when Wally passed,it hurt everyone,but for her..

..it destroyed her world.

But Bruce still asks Artemis to stop being Artemis...on those days when the sun hides behind gray clouds (which happened a lot in Gotham) because neither liked the light for some bizarre reason.He had asked her to let it go,to move on to put the mask away,put the bow down if she needed time--and she did.She traded in the green uniform and the playful sparring matches,he and Wally's games for orange and black and disregard for the world.

"I made a promise--me and the Flash...we're going to buy the world",she said,they said.It use to bea joke really.

Artemis doesn't joke anymore--nothing is funny to the tigress.

The cuts,bruises,scrapes and dislocated shoulder were reminders of it.

"You can't go out tonight,Bruce...you and I both know this",Alfred said.

Bruce's frown deepened as he eased into his seat,arm in asking.

"I know,but there's still work to do.I'm calling for backup for the night.If you need me,I'll be in the cave",he said.

And Alfred knew he'd be there all night because these days,that was how things were.

****

It was evening now and as the sun was moving from the sky,shifts were changing down at the Gotham City Police department.Officer Dick Grayson was on his way back in to file a police report after an attempted mugging in broad day light because Gotham was that kinda city.