The Worst Prom Date Ever

By IWriteSins

When popular high school senior Beau Huntley caught himself in a mess with Pascal Griffin, a college student... More

IWriteNotes + Character Name Pronunciation
1 • The Worst Incident Ever
2 • The Worst Deal Ever
3 • The Worst Conversation Ever
4 • The Worst Substitute Teacher Ever
5 • The Worst Lunch Ever
6 • The Worst Bicycle Ever
7 • The Worst Homework Ever
8.1 • The Worst Dinner Ever
8.2 • The Worst Dinner Ever
9 • The Worst Carnival Ever
10 • The Worst Movie Ever
11 • The Worst Lemon Squares Ever
12 • The Worst People Ever
13.1 • The Worst Birthday Surprise Ever
13.2 • The Worst Birthday Surprise Ever
14 • The Worst Concert Ever (Not Really)
15 • The Worst Bro Talk Ever
16 • The Worst House Party Ever
17 • The Worst Hangover Ever
18 • The Worst Accident Ever
19 • The Worst Promposal Ever
20 • The Worst Interview Ever
21 • The Worst Shopping Ever
22 • The Worst Sister Ever
23 • The Worst Night Ever
24 • The Worst Revelation Ever
25 • The Worst Prom Date Ever
26 • The Worst Brother Ever
27 • The Worst Day Ever
29 • The Worst Goodbyes Ever
30 • The Best Accident Ever
IWriteNotes + Acknowledgements
BONUS: Behind The Story + New Story Preview

28 • The Worst Graduation Ever (Not Really)

160 9 5
By IWriteSins

BEAU  [7:48 a.m.]

Piper and I just exchanged occasional glances for the next two days of our graduation practice, and we both felt ill at ease just by those glances.

The same went to Callista, but we conversed at least once on those days and just as she said, it was like we were never in a relationship in the first place. At the back of my mind, I commended her for handling the post-breakup professionally.

"Beau? Dear, breakfast is ready," my mom said, knocking on my door. I told her that I will be going down in a minute, and I heard her feet shuffling down the stairs. I tossed my phone back on my bed, still debating whether or not I should reply back to Piper's texts that she sent two days ago. It was silly how I was making a big deal out of it.

I took a dirty sweatshirt from my laundry and lazily wore it as I went down the stairs and straight to the dining area. Dad was busy highlighting words from his huge-ass book and Mom just placed a hot pot of mushroom stroganoff and coconut rice at the table.

The aroma was inviting. It was my favorite meal of all-time, after all.

"Greg, put away your book, please," Mom reprimanded, as my dad immediately obliged. She gestured me to sit down and to start eating. I shook my head and pushed the meal away from me.

"I'm sorry Mom, but I'm not really that hungry." As soon as I heard the noisy utensils stopped from clinking, I looked up and saw my parents staring at me with a puzzled look on their faces.

My dad was the first to speak. "Did you actually refuse to eat your mushroom stroganoff—that's the stroganoff, son."

I purposely didn't reply as I sat silent on the dining chair. No words were passing my lips. 

"Is this about Piper?" Dad casually asked as he took a bite of his French toast.

I immediately looked up, eyebrows scrunched. "What made you say that?"

He rolled his eyes, chuckling. "You've done this before—twice, even. I remember you two bickering over something, and when we had your favorite meal for dinner, you didn't take not even a single bite."

I huffed. That was a decade ago. Was I that obvious?

Mom broke the silence again. "So is it—"

"Yes, god."

Mom plastered a weird smile, placing her elbow on the table as she rested her hand below her chin. "We're listening."

"You don't have to." I'm not really the type of guy who would pour my sentiments to my parents. I usually just talk to Lucas or Mei. Plus, the main reason why Mom and Dad wanted to pry into my personal life was because Piper was involved.

I scratched the back of my head and let out a big sigh. I couldn't mask my look of annoyance but then I realized that they weren't going to touch their food in the next few minutes if I didn't speak up. My parents would not let this slip.

"Okay, in a nutshell? We're not friends anymore."

Mom asked, perplexed. "How come?"

"Shitty things happened. That's it."

Dad first took a sip of his coffee before he turned to me. "Son, we don't know what happened between the two of you, and I know you don't want to discuss it with us any further, but rest assured that everything will be alright. Talk to her after your graduation, okay? That is an order."

"Yeah, whatever."

"Dear, it's your last day in high school. Make it a memorable one, not only to you but to Piper. Besides, you've known each other since you were kids. Old friends are there to stay," Mom added, reaching out for my hand. Her grip was firm, just like how I wish her words were as well.

I mumbled a thank you.

I wish that old friends were really there to stay.

"Stop lying to each other anymore, sweetie," Mom said, giving me a wink. I didn't know what the hell she was implying back there.

I looked at my dad, who was giving a tight-lipped smile to Mom. They looked at each other—the look which almost looked like they were mentally plotting something devious—then looked at me again in unison.

"Speaking of lying," Dad said, "we also know you crashed the Cadillac."

  — — — 

BEAU  [12:45 p.m.]

"Finally! Goodbye, Hartsmith and hello, NYU!"

We did it. Wow, how time flew. High school was officially over. While the commencement exercises was drawing to an end as we were singing our alma mater song one last time, you would hear some of my batch mates choking in tears. Others were full of glee. The thought of what the future will have in store for us was terrifying and exciting at the same time.

In the sea of people wearing togas, I saw Lucas jogged to me and gave me a hug.

"Well, this is the end of our high school life. I can't imagine being that away from you, man!"

I couldn't imagine it, too. Lucas had been with me side by side as soon as we stepped into high school. He was my best friend, my drinking buddy, my wingman, my brotha from another motha.

Being miles away from him would surely make things different. I would be moving to New York in a month and he would be staying here in Massachusetts. I secretly wish he would join me to NYU, knowing that he also got an acceptance letter from it as well.

Although I know that he only applied because it was the only college that I bothered applying to. When Lucas learned he was accepted at MIT, it was a no-brainer on what he chose.

We both released from the hug. What would I do without this guy? "Fuck. Me too. We're always a tandem here in school. Visit me, okay?"

Lucas playfully punched me in the arm. "Hell, yeah! By the way, what did your parents say after they learned that you crashed the car?"

I lolled my head back and chuckled dryly. "They just laughed it off. It was actually a graduation present for me all along. I'll be driving that baby with me to New York."

My parents were unpredictable creatures. Apparently, Dad already sensed that there was something off with the car as soon as he checked it when they got home from their European trip. Being this observant, suspicious person that he was, he decided to go all Sherlock Holmes with Mom as I failed to Get Away With Murder.

In the end, it was a lesson nonetheless. They both reprimanded me from not telling them in the first place, but they let me off the hook when I took full responsibility of the whole situation, even though I paid it out of my aunt's good fortune. I just really wasn't expecting that the car that I've been eyeing inside our garage for months would be given to me eventually.

Lucas laughed at the turn of events. "The universe must be testing you then. Anyway, my teammates are calling me for a group photo. Later, dude. See you at Diane's party, okay?"

I nodded and watched Lucas disappear from the crowd of students and parents. I was also in the middle of looking for my teammates when a blonde figure was walking towards me.

I smiled and clapped slowly as she drew nearer. "Aww, if it isn't Little Miss Valedictorian."

Callista raised an eyebrow at my remark. "My speech was memorable though, right?"

"Of course." I replied. That was Callista, alright. She had to be acknowledged, one way or another. Kidding aside, her speech was moving. She had definitely commanded attention from every single body in the field while she was delivering it. I was very proud of her that she scaled her way through high school with poise—with the power, not so much.

Callista tucked her blonde tresses behind her ears. "By the way, I already apologized to Piper during the graduation ceremony. Thought you should know. We're good now."

Now I felt more proud of her. Knowing that she already made amends, I believed there won't be any bad blood between the two of them anymore.

I gave her a quick hug. "Good luck in Brown, Cal."

"Thanks. Kill it in New York, okay?"

I replied with a swaggering look, something that made Callista giggle. Her laughter seemed to tone down when she pointed something behind my back.

"Um, looks like Little Miss Salutatorian is waiting for you."

  — — — 

PIPER • [12:51 p.m.]

At least the two of them were already in speaking terms. They must be getting back together—oh no. Beau was walking towards my direction. Did they see me staring at them?

I have to keep my composure. Do I smile, or do I not smile? Oh dear, I was sweating. He was moving closer

"Hey," Beau said, placing a hand on my shoulder, the tingling sensation bringing me back to reality. I was panicking so much that I didn't realize he was standing in front of me.

Neither of us said a word after that. Beau tugged the collar of his crisp polo, and let out an awkward cough.

"Uh, congratulations, Piper."

"Thanks, Beau. You too," I replied, fidgeting the medals hanging around my neck. Great, that was the best you can say, Piper? That was it

To be honest, I really couldn't blame myself. I was at loss for words. I've been trying to avoid Beau these past few days to start fresh, and it turned out I couldn't. I at least need to see him one last time this graduation day.

"Uh, listen. Diane's throwing a batch party tonight. Maybe you want to come?" He asked, striking up a conversation.

I bit my lip. I took a deep breath and looked at him in his dark, tantalizing eyes.

It was crazily distracting, so I looked away immediately.

I really had no intention of informing him my after-graduation plan, but I had to. "I can't. I have to pack up. I'm leaving to New York...in three days."

The expression of Beau's face turned sullen. He probably had no idea that I would think of leaving Massachusetts so soon. 

"Already? Why?"

I sighed. I wasn't liking the sad expression he was putting on, it just made me feel worse.

"Columbia's calling me. The next few months are going to be busy, and I really want to make the necessary adjustments. New York's not like Alcovix, you know."

Leaving to New York right after my high school graduation was a plan I've decided on ever since. I had a talk with my family and all three of us settled on that agreement—my dad had already even booked a flight for me. 

Knowing that I've been sheltered all my life by two overprotective men, I held firm to my choice. I was grateful that they supported my decision, and I knew that they wouldn't abandon me along the way. 

I've opened up to them that I was already growing up, and that it was time for me to move on to another chapter in my life.

All these thoughts about finally graduating, moving out, going to college, living on my own was slowly sinking in. However, there was this lingering feeling that needed to be resolved.

I did the unexpected and wrapped my arms around Beau. He was taken off guard but he returned the embrace.  

"Beau, I'm sorry for what I said to you yesterday. I didn't mean it. I really want us to stay friends."

I felt his body exhaling slowly, and he hugged me even tighter, which was a positive physical response for me, even though I could barely breathe anymore. 

"Thank you, Piper," Beau whispered to my ear. Eventually, I let my tears slid. I scanned the crowd and I've caught a dozens of eyes staring at our sentimental moment, but I didn't mind. I was savoring his smell, his warmth, his overall embrace. 

There was no denying it. No matter how hard I was trying to forget about him, I couldn't. I regretted what I said to him a few days ago. Even though we acted as strangers for the past decade, I didn't want to waste the friendship that we started. 

I was just going to be real here. 

I still liked Beau Huntley.

A few seconds later, I felt the side of my neck getting wet. "Oh, gravy. Hey, are those tears?" He looked down at me and I saw his eyes and cheeks slightly damped.

Why did he still look charming even after he just cried? I didn't have a mirror to see myself but I bet I look horrid from my red, puffy eyes and now-stuffy nose. 

Beau let out a laugh. "Hey, you're crying as well!"

"We act like we're not going to see each other again."

"But will we?"

"Of course, Beau. In time." The reassurance made him spread a smile across his face. New York's really big, but Beau and I will be occupying the same, new state for the next four years. I doubt we wouldn't see each other in one of those days.

"Come on, lovebirds, let's go!" Beau and I both turned around, spotting our siblings Pascal and Mei standing by the exit with this impatient look plastered on their faces. 

"What do you guys mean?" I hollered, releasing myself from our embrace and wiping my tears away. Beau stood beside me, having no idea what was going on. Obviously, not a single clue was traveling to our minds.

"We're going to grab lunch at the pier with the Huntleys. Did you not get the memo?"

We both shook our heads.

Mei rolled her eyes, circling her tummy. "Well then, hurry up because our parents are already waiting at the parking lot and we are starving!"

Beau and I quickly glanced at each other. He smiled and extended his hand, gesturing me to take it. With no second thoughts, I grabbed it and we both jogged to the field's exit, leaving our school behind.

For now, we were just going let the cards fall where they may.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 56.3K 63
"I know we broke up, but.., " he whispers in my ear, trailing his finger lightly along my arm. He places a soft kiss on my collarbone, making a shive...
39.5K 1.1K 32
Julia thought senior year was gonna be the best year in her life. After ending a two year relationship and dealing with her mothers new marriage, it...
315K 5.6K 43
She was an ordinary girl in high school. On her last day at school, Alison tells her crush that she likes him. Soon after she moves to Canada and ret...
280 70 13
Walking into school to find pages from your diary posted all over the walls seems like it could only happen in a nightmare. Except one day, this beco...