The Endless Search for the Pe...

Galing kay liwwrites

This is book 2, of The Endless Search for the Perfect Pitch. Previously, Liana Webb had made the US Women's N... Higit pa

Chapter 1: MLS SUPERDRAFT
Chapter 2: NWSL Draft Day
Chapter 3: Bowlerama
Chapter 4: New Place, Same Game
Chapter 5: Back to the Basics
Chapter 6: Fresh Start
Chapter 7: Moving Day
Chapter 8: Back at Camp
Chapter 9: The Hunt is On
Chapter 10: GAME DAY!!
Chapter 11: Switzerland
Chapter 12: Partay
Chapter 13: Tough, Fought Battle
Chapter 14: Algarve Cup Championship
Chapter 15a: When Things Went from Bad to Worse
Author's Note
Chapter 15b: I'm Calling it Quits
Chapter 16: Getcha Head in the Game
Chapter 17: World Cup or Bust
MUST READ!!
Chapter 18: Mother's Day Shenanigans
Chapter 20: We'll Bounce Back
Chapter 21: It's Nice to Meet Ya
Chapter 22: We're Goin' to Canada
Chapter 23: One Down
Chapter 24: Lifesaver
Chapter 25: You're a Superstar
Chapter 26: Be Proud of Yourself
Chapter 27: You are Simply Amazing
Chapter 28: We're Goin' to the Ship!
Chapter 29: We Are the Champions
Chapter 30: Third Star
Chapter 31: LA Live Craziness
Chapter 32: I'm Not Ready
Chapter 33: The Newest Member of the Fam
Chapter 34: #MillerPartyof2
READ THIS!!!
Chapter 35: For the First Time
Chapter 36: Hey, I'm Going to be Okay

Chapter 19: I'm So Proud of You

351 10 0
Galing kay liwwrites

May 17, 2015

I woke up early. I had so much to do still today. Yesterday consisted of planning today, practice, planning, team meeting and dinner, more planning, and then to bed at midnight. I was exhausted. I took a quick shower and went to find coffee and Julie. Just the average morning.

Kelley's POV

I woke up to the sound of the shower water running. I knew it was Li. 6 am was her normal wake up time nowadays. I felt genuinely bad for her. She always seemed anxious. She always checked her shoulder. Something was up. I tried to ignore it but it was very evident.

Li walked out of the bathroom in just a towel.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you," she said.

"It's fine. I was up anyway."

"Liar. You totally were snoring when I got out of bed."

"Li! How dare you!" I yelled and threw a pillow at her. Of course she gracefully caught it and threw it back before I could even react.

"Gotcha." she smirked. "Take a picture, it'll last longer." she smarted back.

"Get out of here." I said as I felt the heat rise up my neck from being caught.

"Fine," she said. She headed towards the door. She was actually being serious.

"What! No! Get some clothes on!"

"You said get out of here."

"You are such an asshole."

"Oh, okay."

She changed into a sweatshirt and shorts then turned around. She was wearing my sweatshirt and shorts. "Nice. Stealin' all my clothes."

"Okay, don't start. You've admitted that you like my clothes better than yours." she said back.

"Li, just get out of here. You have a date don't you?"

"I wouldn't call it that. It's a routine meeting. J's just my best friend."

"I thought I was." I said acting hurt.

Then she walked towards me. She bent down by my ear and whispered, "You're so much more." Then she kissed my neck sending chills all throughout my body. After that she backed up and walked away like nothing happened.

She was such a d-bag. I don't understand how one could make all my hairs stand on end but then in two seconds make me feel like an idiot. God, I was whipped.

Li's POV

I knew how to get to her and I loved that. I knew exactly what made her tick. I bounded down the stairs and into the lobby. Julie was nowhere in sight but I walked outside and down the sidewalk. We were back in Carson for a Send Off game. Mexico were today's opponents. I was pumped but I was also super tired. Today was for Kenzie. I had everything almost ready. I had received my boots last night so it was about to be a painful game. I hadn't had enough time to break them in. Those were for Kenzie. I had also ordered a pair for auction. Those I had been practicing in and I would wear them for warmups. People tended to buy player worn stuff better.

It was going on 6:45 and there was no sign of Julie. She said she had coffee today so I knew she was coming. Ben and I were surprising her after the game. Ben flew Zach in and she didn't know yet. The two were staying in another hotel. I was excited she would be ecstatic.

"Hey, sorry I'm so late, Li." She rushed over with coffee in her hand.

"Don't sweat it. Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah. Long morning. Here."

I took my cup and she sat beside me. She laid her head on my shoulder.

"I'm just worried."

"Worried about what?" I asked.

"Lots. But I'll be fine." She said and laid her hand on my leg. In turn I wrapped my arm around her. "I could get used to this."

"It's been so busy. It's nice to have alone time with you."

After about thirty minutes we headed back to the hotel. Breakfast was at 8. I needed to go get Kelley before then because I knew she wouldn't be up. I said goodbye to Julie and swiped my key to enter my room.

Kelley was once again snoring all sprawled out on the bed. I just had to put it on my story before I got back in bed with her. She gladly moved over and I slipped underneath her. She had her head on my chest and arm around my waist. I played with her hair as she fell back asleep.

I guess we both fell asleep because I was suddenly awoken by a loud banging at the door.
"Let's go! You're gonna be late." It was Ashlyn who knew us better than we knew ourselves.

"Coming!" I yelled. Then I turned to Kelley. "Hey, we gotta get up. We're gonna be late. And that won't look good."

She groaned. "Carry me." She whined still half asleep.

I got off the bed and turned so she could get on my back. She was in a pair of shorts and one of my long sleeves. Her hair was in a messy bun. She hopped on and buried her head in the crook of my neck. I grabbed my phone and went to the mirror to snap a pic. I made sure saved it before I locked my phone so I could caption it later.

I put her phone in my pocket and headed out into the hallway to an awaiting Ali and Ashlyn.

"Bout damn time."

"Ash. It's five minutes till 8. We're fine."

"Someone's sleepy. Long night?" Ash teased.

"Shut your mouth Harris or I'll shut it myself." Kelley mumbled into my neck but it was loud enough to hear.

"What she said." I added.

We walked into the elevator. I simply could not take the stairs. Ali was terrified. She swore we would get stuck and clung to Ashlyn the whole way down. 

Once we got out we headed to breakfast. We were the last four. I put Kelley in a chair and then went to make us plates.

"You spoil her." Hope walked up to me.

"Yeah cuz someone doesn't have the balls to fess up." I said referring to her.

"Watch it."

"She's all yours Solo." I shoved Kelley's plate into her chest and continued to make mine.

I went and sat down and Hope followed with Kelley's plate. Things had changed in the tables. I sat by Kelley, but Hope took the other side of Kelley. Julie sat on my left. And then we just filled in.

"Is everything ready?" Hope asked.

"I hope so. I don't really know. I still am feeling stressed. The tshirts are all ready. I have my boots. Ben has talked with StubHub and were good. Umm, I don't think there's anything else but something is bound to happen. Kenzie's excited. She flew in yesterday along with the family. Miles is somewhere. He's supposed to be here."
"Breathe. You're doing great."

After breakfast we split and I went out. Just to clear my mind. I grabbed the board I brought and a snapback.

"Mind if I join?" Ashlyn asked.

"Sure."

We headed out through the streets of Carson. We stopped a ways out at a small restaurant. We grabbed lunch.

"Are you okay?" Ash asked.

"Yeah. I'm doing alright. I could be better. It's exhausting."
"You're doing great."

"Thank you. So have you made a move?"

"Hey I didn't come to talk about me."

"Okay loser."

We paid and left to go back to the hotel. The game was at 6. We'd be leaving by no later than 4:30. I needed a nap. I crashed once I got back to the hotel.

Kelley's POV

I walked back in and Li was there sleeping on the bed. I quietly shut the door and took my shoes off. Then I climbed into bed with her. She rolled over and pulled me closer to her. I laid there in her arms just thinking. Usually I wasn't one to think, but today was different. I knew she wasn't herself today because she doesn't ever take a nap unless something is wrong. I also knew she had a lot going on. I was worried. I thought about how she meant more to me than anything but we already said we shouldn't get together. I had Hope anyway. Liana loved me but in not the same way she loved Ben. She looked at him like he was the sun and she was his moon. Polar opposites but they fit together like two puzzle pieces. They were the definition of love. I didn't want to ruin that. If anything I wanted to experience it.

I twisted so I could plant a soft kiss on her chiseled jawline.

I woke up unaware that I went to sleep. Li was drawing patterns on my shoulders. I could feel her smile when she knew I was awake. I flipped so I was facing her.

"Well, what a pleasant surprise." She said and kissed my forehead.

I buried my head in her chest and she wrapped her arms even tighter around me. I fell back asleep very soon after.

"Okay, this time we need to get up. It's going on 3 and I want to be awake."
"Why are you so smart?" I groaned.

We got up and changed into better clothes. I had on a pair of jeans and USA tshirt. Liana wore black ripped jeans and the tshirt for Kenzie. It was orange and looked super clean. It was awesome. We all had them to warm up in with our names and numbers on the sleeve. Then they'd be auctioned off.

Yesterday we all had a box of shirts that we signed. Poor Liana had to sign them all. There were about five to a shirt. Random. They'd sell out I was for sure. Under Armour was gracious enough to design a pair of boots for today. Liana didn't know about it yet. There was something about her that always made me want to surprise her. I don't know if it was the way her face lit up or the fact that she was a child at heart.
We went downstairs and grabbed our stuff. Then we waited in the lobby to board the bus. Fans were filling the streets. It was going to be a big game. I was so excited. Mexico. Always a good one.

Li's  POV

We arrived at the stadium. It was already crowded. I was looking forward to the day's events but I was also a little nervous. I didn't want to mess up.

Hope must have read my mind because she came and sat next to me in Alex's locker. "Relax. You are the most charismatic person I know. You are a fantastic speaker and you will do just great."

"Thanks Hope."

I had scribbled a few notes of what I was going to say on a now crinkled paper shoved in my sock. I changed into the warmups and said a prayer. Right after starting lineups I would be speaking. Ben was here on the field with me along with my family.

I had a compression tee made just like the tshirts to wear under my jersey. I put my jersey overtop and ran my fingers along the stars. I wanted another one. We all wore the tshirts instead of the jackets. We walked out onto the pitch and lineup for announcing. I was between Lauren and Julie. The national anthems played and then it was my turn. I walked into the center circle with a mic.

"How's everyone doing?!" I asked and received a warm welcome. "On behalf of the team and I, thank you for coming to support us. And from my family and I, thank you so much for making this a big day. Kenzie, this is for you. You have been nothing but a joy in my life. I haven't been as involved as I would have liked and I'm sorry for that. You've shown fight and put a new fight in me. I see a new growth in the Lord in you and I'm excited to see where that takes you. You have so many possibilities and I hope you achieve all your goals. Always dream and never stop fighting. I'm so proud of you Kenz."

I took a moment to think. "Like I said earlier today's game is for Kenzie and I thank US Soccer for allowing me to do this. But we need your help. Around the stadium are booths selling tshirts just like the ones we warmed up in. There are also a few other things. The goal is to sell out. Then later tonight we'll put up our warmups for auction along with a pair of my cleats. All proceeds go to Kenzie and her family. We thank you and hope you will help us out. We love our fans!"

I jogged off the field and handed the mic back. I gave Kenzie a hug and took off the warmup. Then I took the field with the team.

Mexico had the kick off. We were in our blue kit. Blue and orange were a fantastic combo but they're complimentary colors right. I lined up and waited for the whistle.

Mexico took the kick and it was game in. In the first fifteen minutes we had so many opportunities. Carli came up with the ball a little past midfield. She found Syd who made a quick pass wide to Morgan. Morgan sends a perfect ball back post. Christen gets a head on it but it's saved in the goal line. The ball lands at the feet of Syd. She fires one. Deflected. I have the ball and drill one right in the face of Santiago. The ball is still loose. Carli heads it high and I go for a driven header. This time it's a clean save. I knew I should have made a better opportunity than that.

I tackled and gained possession. I saw Syd breaking left and wide of me so I laid one off in her run. She takes one tough around the keeper and with the hardest angle possible, she finds the back of the net. Morgan followed to make sure it went in. Syd got up and ran and gave me a huge hug.

Then right at the end of the half Mexico gets a free kick well outside of the eighteen. It's a beautiful ball. I hear Hope call keep but she misses along with Becky. Calderon just flicks it near post for the equalizer.

We had another opportunity in the first. Cheney rips a shot outside the arc. Save Santiago. I get the rebound and shoot right at the keeper. It ricochets off and Morgan takes another shot.

1-1 halftime.

We walked into the locker room down. It's not how we wanted to end the half. I was frustrated. I had two, no three opportunities and I didn't capitalize. I walked in and threw my towel and shirt in my locker. I sat at the edge of my locker and held my head in my hands.  I felt a gentle but strong hand on my shoulder.

"Look at me." It was Hope.
"I did awful."

"No you did not. Breathe. Relax. Play your game. You're okay."

Then coach came in and refocused us and then we headed back out. We had to win this game. We just had to.

The second half started. Right in the first few seconds, Syd took a shot and it deflected into the box. Cheney went after it but got tripped up. The ball landed at Abby's feet. I was behind her and she passed it to me where I took the one touch left footed shot for my first of the night. I ran and gave Abby a hug. Then I went to check on Lauren. Thankfully she was okay and nothing much. She just got hit really hard.

We earned a corner and I went to take it. I drove it into the box between the six and eighteen. The defender clearly handled the ball. A PK was called. Abby walked over to take it so I stood where the half circle met the 18. I waited for Abby to set up but she walked up to me and handed me the ball.

"Take it. It's for Kenzie." Abby said and took my place.

"Thanks."

I went to the mark and placed the ball down never looking at the net. I knew exactly where I would place it. I was taught to keep it the same and no one can stop it if you shoot it well. And that's what I did. I drilled it upper 90 on the left side. Nothing changed.
I ran to Abby and gave her a huge hug for allowing me to take the shot. Then I found Kenzie in the crowd and pointed straight at her and yelled, "It's for you KZ!" She gave me a big smile and then I ran back to the midline to start the game.

Morgan finds Syd running down the field. She's already beaten her defender. She wakes one touch to the right past Santiago and with another open net and with authority she finds the back of the net.

In the 72' Syd found Tobin on the left side of the box. Tobin beat her defender with an elastico and I knew I had to get into the mix. Tobin sent a beautiful cross to the back post and I was able to head it down and in to finish off a hat trick.

The final whistle blew and it was game over. What a win to seal the deal. We shook hands and took pictures. Then Kelley and I walked around the stadium. We took Kenzie along with us. She was loving being a part of the day. After autographs we headed into the locker room.

"What a game!" Abby said and gave me a big hug.

"Thank you." I said.

"First hat trick, how does it feel?!" Hope asked.

"Makes sense. I played for a bigger purpose. But it's all thanks to the team. Couldn't have done it without you guys."

"Such a humble little player. Love ya kiddo." Hope said and gave me a hug.

I went inside to change. I showered and left in a pair of white ripped skinnys  and a black tshirt that was also for Kenzie. Then I went to find the fam. They were waiting out back by the bus. Ben came up to me and gave me a big hug and kiss.

"Hey KZ. How'd you like your day of fame?"

"It's been epic. Thanks a lot cuz."

"Sure thing. How'd the sales do?"

"Went to every booth and this is all I got." Ben said and pointed to a box with small black velvet box. I went to pick it up. Inside was a necklace with a golden boot. "I've been waiting for a whole to give you that. I bought it the day you went pro. I knew the day would come when you got your first hat trick and I've been bringing it to every single game just in case. I hope you like it."

"I love it." I said and he clasped it around my neck.

"Li!" Abby yelled and motioned for me to come over.

"One sec."

I walked over and Abby presented me with the game ball. "Hey. Here's the game ball. Team wanted you to have it. It's your hat trick."

"Thank you."

I returned and handed the ball to Kenzie. "Game ball. It's yours. I'm so very proud of you."
"Thank you. Dinner tonight?"

"Of course. The fam's all here. Perfect time to catch up."

"Great. I'll pick you up soon." Ben said then pulled me aside. "But first we have a surprise."

"Right! I'll got get Julie!" Then I ran off to find her. "J! Come quick!"

She ran and followed me. "What is it?"

"Surprise."

"What are you talking about?"

"Just come on!"

I grabbed her kept running to Ben. I found him and just left her standing alone. Then Zach came up from behind her and gave her a big hug.

"You had a great game."

"Zach!"

"Thank those two. They planned it all. Including our dinner tonight."

"Double date?" She asked.

"Haha close. We're going out to dinner with my family and we'd love it if you two joined us. You're family now."

"What do ya say?" Ben asked.

"We'd love to join you. Thanks guys. I don't think I've met a lot of your family so this should be fun." Julie said.

"It's a deal. Pick you up." I said.

Julie and I said goodbye and then walked onto the bus. I had just the outfit planned for tonight. I dried my hair. Then I had Kelley curl my hair while I was halfway doing my makeup. Once she was finished, I finished off my look and slipped on my dress. It was casual navy summer dress. I paired it with nude heels and a coral statement necklace. Ben came and picked me up. He was in a light grey heather sweater with a navy tie underneath and dark grey slacks. He also had his brown leather fancy shoes on and a silver Rolex.

We walked down the hall to meet up with Julie and Zach. They looked good. Julie was in a black dress and Zach was in a black suit with a white shirt. They looked good.

"I'd say we clean up nicely." I said.

"Yes indeed we do."

The four of us walked outside and got in the rental car. Ben and I in the front and Julie and Zach in the back. We had reservations at The Sky Room in Long Beach. The fam was already there so we were causing the wait. Long Beach wasn't too far away but we had a good drive over. All of us jammed and sang at the top of our lungs.

Once we arrived, we hopped out and went inside. We rode the elevator up to the restaurant on the top floor of the Breakers Hotel. It was beautiful. The view was fantastic. We were all seated around a large circle table. There were a total of ten of us. Julie and Ben sat beside me.

"Julie and Zach, this is my mom and Miles, my uncle Ted, aunt Trish and you know Mac and Kenzie. Guys, Julie and Zach.

"I'm so glad you could join us." My mom said.

"Miles, it's nice to see you." I said. Miles looked sharp. He was in a light grey suit and plum tie. He was clean shaven and trimmed up.

"Nice to see you too, sis. Ben, how ya been? Takin' care of my kid sis?" Miles asked with a smile.

"Of course."

"Miles, would you rather live in space or under the sea?" I asked out of the blue.

"You're random. But I'd say in space because you'd live under the sea."

"You're lucky you're sitting across the table."

"Okay settle down." Mom said.

Dinner was so good. The conversation was so good. It was so good getting caught up with everyone.

"I got it." Ben said and reached over Julie and I to get to Zach who had their bill.

"No."

"I asked my treat."

"I wouldn't fight him." I suggested.

"Pick your battles, babe." Julie said.

Zach handed over the bill and Ben paid for all four of our meals.

"Next one's on me." Zach said.

"Deal."

We walked out and headed back down to the car. Instead of going straight to the hotel we took a pit stop at the beach. Ben and Zach had been planning this I guess. They had suits and towels in the trunk. We changed and ran off to the water. I threw my hair up in a bun and grabbed Ben. We laid out our towels and took a seat on the sand. It was cool to the touch and the moon was just over the water. It's light lit up the beach and reflected on the water. It was beautiful.

After our little detour we headed back. It was late, but most of us were out doing something. We were out later than most because we walked in the hotel to silence. No one was anywhere to be seen. We got into the elevator and rode to our floor. The boys said goodbye and then we went to our separate rooms.

"Bout time." Kelley said. The room was pitch black exempt for the life from Kelley's phone.

"Sorry Charlie."

"Where'd you go?"

"Dinner and the beach."

"Sounds fun."

"What did you do?"

"Oh you know. Hope and I went out for dinner and then we watched a movie."

"How cute."

"Put a sock in it."

"I'm gonna clean up and then I'll be ready for bed." I said and grabbed a change of clothes. I walked into the bathroom and changed. Sweats and a tshirt for the win.

I walked back out and crawled back in bed with Kelley. "Good night."

"Night." She said and nuzzled up into my body.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

378K 9K 68
It has been one year since your wedding day and if you're thinking your married, sorry to say, but you're not. It has been one year since Alex Morgan...
155K 4.3K 30
(BOOK ONE) Logan Scott is at the end of her college soccer career, next up is the professional stage and pledging allegiance to the Nation she feels...
216K 4.3K 50
Taylor is one of the many fans of the US Women's National Team. Her all time favourite player and who she has a little big crush on... Kelley O'Hara...
371K 11.9K 85
Keegan has been through way too much in her 30 years of life. She's been through a war, moving from a war torn country to America, playing football i...