Oh, So Now You Want Me?

Oleh BlackDrop

Rainie Harper was like every other wolf who dreamed of finding her mate. A mate who loved her and made her s... Lebih Banyak

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five - Mason's POV
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight - Mason's POV
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven - Mason's POV
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen - Mason's POV
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty - Mason's POV
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three - Part One
Chapter Thirty-Three - Part Two
Chapter Thirty Four - Mason's POV
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty - Part One

Chapter Forty - Part Two

154K 3.8K 990
Oleh BlackDrop

THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU. I LOVE YOU ALL DEARLY

Chapter Forty

Part Two

With all the other guests dancing, it was only us still sitting at the table on the edge of the dance floor. Sara dropped down onto a chair, empty glasses in her hands and exhaustion finally taking over. "You look tired," Peter noted, "beautiful, but tired."   

She smiled, "It's worth it."   

I sat on Mason's lap, one of his arms around my waist and the other draped over my leg. Resting my head on his shoulder, I felt a kiss being pressed to my forehead before his lips moved against my skin. "Tired?" I nodded.   

"It's been a wonderful night, Sara." My mom said, "Everyone had such a good time." Alpha Tom raised his glass, "I agree." Standing from his chair, he held out his hand for Delilah to take. "Now I would like to dance with my beautiful mate." With a rosy tint to her cheeks, she stood and followed him on to the make shift dance floor. 

Turning in his chair to face Bella, Cole wiggled his brows. "How about a dance, hot stuff?" 

"I've got two left feet." 

He smirked, "You can stand on my shoes." 

"I'm not four." 

"I'd say you're a ten." He winked. 

Her head snapped towards him, "Really? You're trying to get me to dance with cheesy lines like that?" Slowly, her lips curved at the corners, a sly smile forming. "Is little Cole a virgin?" 

He choked on his drink, "What?"

Placing her hands over her heart, she cooed, "You are, aren't you? That's cute."

With a slack jaw and eyes wide he looked at Mason. "Dude, you weren't kidding about her biting my tail." Chuckling, Mason shook his head. "Man, this chick is killing me." Cole mumbled into his glass as he took a gulp of alcohol.

I leaned in to Bella, so I couldn't be overheard by the others, "Give him a break," I whispered, trying to suppress my giggling, "it's only a dance." 

Huffing out a breath, she stood up and tugged on the sleeve of his shirt, "Come on, loser." Mason and I laughed watching Cole almost trip over his own feet trying to get up quick enough. 

Emma and Ray also moved towards the dance floor, closely followed by the rest of our table. My laughter subsided into a wide smile when my eyes landed on Nicky. Standing from his chair and moving round the table, he looked at Mason. "Can I steal a dance with your mate?" 

For half a second, the hold Mason had on me tightened a little – no doubt due to his wolf – but he smiled and nodded. "I won't be long." I promised, pressing a kiss against his lips. 

With my hand in his Nicky twirled me into the middle of the dance floor, "Come on, Rainie," he laughed, pulling me into his body, "let's show these guys how dancing's really done."  

Throwing my head back with a heart laugh, Nicky spun me out at arm's reach before pulling me back to him and lifting his arm for me to twirl twice underneath.  

As the playlist of songs slowed so did our pace. "Did you enjoy the party?" I realized that even though he looked like he was having a good time, I had never actually asked him.  

"You sound just like a Luna," Nicky smirked, "I'm going to have to get used to that." 

Gratification swelled in my wolf's chest, "Yes, you are." 

After a few minutes of blissful music and dancing, he spoke again, "I hope Mason realizes how lucky he is, Rainie." Slightly moving back to look me in the eye, but still holding me in his arms, he continued, "He put you through a lot and I know he's trying to make up for it, but he should still feel pretty damn lucky to get a second chance."

"He does." I said, before adding after a second thought, "I think." 

Nicky chuckled, "Oh no he knows, he hasn't taken his eyes off you since we started dancing." 

Looking over Nicky's shoulder, there right in front of me, were two beautifully dark and dangerous, cerulean orbs burning into mine. Watching my every move and no doubt eyeing the way Nicky's hands sat on my hip and the small of my back. A blush swept its way over my cheeks. "I think he's a little jealous." I noted, smiling at how adorable he looked. 

Nicky laughed, "He's more than a little jealous Rainie; it's rolling off him. Even my wolf can feel it." 

A burning sense of pride warmed my chest as I smiled at my mate. You're having too much fun without me. The sensual voice filled my thoughts and the cute, pouted lips of his brought a wider smile to mine.

Of course I'm having fun, I told him, I'm dancing. 

A second later, his torturously dangerous one sided smirk lifted his lips. So you'll have more fun, he drew his words out slowly as he stood from his chair and and began to make his way through the dancing couples and straight towards us. If you were to dance, his words lingered again as he took the final steps closer to us, with your mate, he finished as he came to a stop behind Nicky.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to take my girl back, Alpha." His eyes never left mine as he side stepped Nicky and took my hand. 

Nicky laughed, "Of course." His shoulders shaking with a chuckle, he winked at me, mouthing a 'told you so' before disappearing into the crowded dance floor.      

Winding his strong arms around me and pulling me into an embrace that filled me with a feeling of love and safety, Mason lowered his head and placed a soft kiss against the tip of my nose. My smile was filled with happiness as I followed his movements and lifted myself onto the tips of my toes softly pressing my lips to his nose. He flashed me a full, perfect smile and slowly began weaving us around in circles through the other couples. 

As the song slowed, so did we. Following the soft music that filled our ears, our feet took on new movements. This time, we kept to our own small spot on the floor and slowly swayed back and forth in time with the melodic beat.      

With the low sound in my ear of Mason humming along to the song, I found myself smiling with complete happiness. I closed my eyes and let my mind drift off into a wonderland.

Picturing the tower of romance novels stacked in the corner of my room, my mind flicked through the imaginary pages of each book, the characters coming to life through the blackness of my closed eyes. I read countless tales of true love conquering any difference the characters had, their lives being told through words that played with my emotions and hit parts of me that only books could. I remember wishing it was my life I was reading. That in some parallel universe, in some deep part of my imagination, I was the girl in the book and the guy I fell in love with, gave me his heart in return for mine. 

Now, feeling body heat warming my skin, the deep hum mixed together with the beat of the song drifting through my ears and the tight, loving brace I was wrapped in, I realized my tale, my words and my characters were here. My novel was Mason. 

Finally opening my eyes, my imaginary pages become my reality as I looked up at him. "I love you." The heavy emotion in my voice was something I couldn't hide. 

"I love you too, Rain." 

We were lost in each other, but our moment was quickly ruined. 

Mason's attention had drifted away from me to something behind me. Turning my head, my eyes wandered across the different faces and as far as I could see, they were too busy to be paying us any attention. Who was he looking at? I turned back to Mason, "Is everything ok?"

"Hmm?" As if remembering I was there, his eyes flashed to mine with a look of panic hidden in them. "Yeah, Jake wants me to meet him in the house." I didn't believe him.

Something about the sound of his voice and the way he was looking at me told me he was lying.   "Is something wrong?" 

He shook his head, "No, everything's fine, he just wants to check something over with me." I knew his tight smile was forced, though his voice was a little stronger now, more sure of his answer. 

My eyes were firmly on his as I took a small step back, keeping a hold on his hand. "Okay, I'll come with you." 

"No," he cupped my cheek in the palm of his hand, "it won't take long, stay here and have fun." He kissed my lips, "I'll be back soon, I promise." Before I had a chance to argue, he left a lasting kiss on my lips before dropping my hand and leaving me standing, watching him to walk away.      

My instincts to follow him were halted. "Where's the love sick puppy going?" Bella threw her arm over my shoulder, keeping me in place. I could smell the fresh scent of alcohol on her breath. "Whatever. I'll take full advantage of having you to myself." Grabbing hold of my hand, she tugged me backwards. "Emma!" She called out over the music, motioning her hand for her to come to us. "Come on." 

"Bella—" I had started to say I needed to speak with Mason, but there was no point telling her why, she was too drunk to understand. Instead I was dragged across the dance floor until we reached a very merry Emma who was draining the last of her champagne. 

"It's time for a girl's only dance, Ems." 

Emma squealed, "Finally, stupid guys taking all our time." Her sentence was interrupted with the odd hiccup and giggle. How much had they drank? I could feel a warm tingle inside my stomach, but I certainly hadn't had as much as they had. "Rainie?" She cooed, slurring the 'e'. 

I blinked, "Hmm?" 

"Are-" hiccup "you-" hiccup "okay?" hiccup. She and Bella stood staring at me, both swaying slightly to the beat of the music. 

The thought of Mason had me wanting to tell them that I couldn't stay, that I had to go and speak to him, but the look on their faces had me changing my answer. "Yeah, let's have our girl's only dance." I smiled and put all thoughts of Mason to the back of my mind. Maybe he was needed by Jake, maybe I had jumped to the wrong conclusion. Using that answer as my reasoning, I grabbed three glasses of champagne and handed one to Bella and Emma.    

With all three of us linked by our hands, we danced and laughed until our feet and throats were sore. After a while Nicky and Ray had joined us, twirling us in and out of each other and taking turns to pick each of us up, spinning us around in the air. 

The music continued to play and the alcohol was quickly being drained. I had to stable the dizzy spin in my head and stomach by clutching on to Ray. "Maybe I've had too much champagne." I giggled. 

"Watch yourself Luna," he laughed, "Mason's not going to be too happy if you're drunk tonight." The wink he gave me told me exactly what kind of innuendo he was making. Playfully pushing him away, I opened my mouth, but was silenced when my eyes landed on the figure behind him. Confusion took over my thoughts, "Who's that with Mason?" I didn't notice he had come back. Why hadn't he come over?  

Looking back over his shoulder, Ray moved his head to try and get a better view through the dancing couples. "Jude." He seemed just as confused as I was. "When did he get here?"

Stepping out of Ray's hold and ignoring him calling out my name, I crossed the dance floor, my heels clicking heavily against the wood, until I was standing in front of them both. Jude, with his back still to me, hadn't noticed me yet, but Mason was staring straight at me. 

"Well if it isn't my best friend who never bothered showing up to my announcement ceremony." I had expected him to turn, but he didn't. "It's really kind of you to show up." Sarcasm dripped from my words.  

"Baby," I could hear the warning tone from Mason, but I ignored it. I was too angry to listen to anything anyone had to say. 

"Did you have something better to do? Busy with your friends? No, of course not because they were all here celebrating with us." 

He still hadn't turned to face me, but his head fell as a heavy sigh fell from his mouth. That only served to further annoy me. "Oh I'm sorry, is it an inconvenience to you that I'm hurt and upset?" 

Mason took a step forward, "Rain," This time his tone was a lot sterner than it had been a second ago. Now he wasn't giving me the option to listen. "Please leave it." 

"Leave it?!" I was even more confused now. "You're defending him?" I was too caught up in how angry and hurt I felt to recognize the look he gave me. My curled fists were shaking at my sides, "Fine, I'll leave it and you," I jabbed my finger in Jude's back, "can get the hell out of this house as soon as you tell me what was better than being here celebrating with your best friend? Hmm, what the hell could be more important than that?" 

With another sigh - his shoulders dropping even more - he slowly turned to face me. I gasped, my hands covering my mouth and I stared, eyes wide and horrified, at him.

"Rainie—"   Mason cut him off, "Not here." Stepping around Jude, he moved my hands away from my face and held them tight in his. 

"Wait," Jude reached out and grabbed Mason's sleeve stopping him from moving any further, "There's not enough time Mason, they're coming."

My heart sped up. They? "The Redbloods?"   

Unlike me, Mason didn't seem to care to know who Jude was talking about, or maybe he already knew. Either way, neither of them gave me an answer. Mason's already dominating presence was only made stronger as he took a step towards Jude, his grip on my hand tightening and his jaw tensed. "You told them about tonight?"

"Of course I didn't." He looked offended. "I wouldn't do that to any of you, especially her." I wasn't sure who he was referring to and I didn't have time to ask as he looked away from Mason and to me. "I'm sorry, pretty girl."

I silenced him by reaching up and cupping his bruised face with my hand. "Tell me what happened, Jude." My gaze wandered over his swollen eyes, a clear sign of a broken cheek bone, the bloodied slice running the length of his right cheek and his split, swollen lips. "Who did this to you?" All the anger I had in me had vanished at the sight of his broken appearance. He looked tired and defeated. Whatever he was fighting, he was giving up.  

"That doesn't matter right now; you need to get out of here, Rainie." He took a step towards me, but quickly retreated when a growl rumbled from somewhere deep in Mason's chest. "I promise I'll explain everything when I can."

I refused to accept that. With deep gashes dripping blood and a burning fear in his eyes, whatever was going on was being explained now. "I'll leave when I know what the hell is going on. Mason?" I turned to him for answers, but I knew better than to expect them. 

I could see the battle going on inside of him, he wanted to tell me, but not until we were away from whatever was coming. "Jude's right, little kitten. We need to leave." 

This time I didn't argue. There was a different look in his eye. One I had never seen before. Mason had always been so confident and fearless, but right now he looked unsure and scared. He looked completely lost. I nodded, "We need to warn everyone."

"No."

"There isn't time." Jude and Mason said at the same time. 

What? "Of course there's time. If, whatever it is that's coming here is going to hurt people we have to tell them. What do you want to do, just leave them here?"

"They're trained for this," Mason said. "you're not ready." 

The moment I had processed what he had said, I knew exactly who was coming. "I'm staying. I'm Beta."

"No you're not, Rainie." Jude spoke up. "You're a Luna now." 

I turned and scowled at him, I didn't need reminding of pack formalities. "Whether I'm Luna of the Harbor Pack or Beta of the Shadow Pack, I'm fighting against the Redbloods with everyone else." 

"It isn't just the Redbloods Rainie." Jude said. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, "Have another pack joined them?" It wasn't likely. As far as I knew, the Redbloods were the most hated pack. Their brutality wasn't something to be admired or desired. 

He shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. "I wanted to tell you, I really did, but I couldn't. You wouldn't look at me the same once you found out, you'd hate me." He let his eyes fall to the ground between us and a heavy feeling of shame hung in the air. "I can't stand here and tell you that I regret what I did because I don't and I never could, but it doesn't change who I am. I'm still the Jude who flirted with you in class that day." His words brought back a fond memory of the first time we met. "He ruined her, he wouldn't stop until he destroyed her and I couldn't let that happen. I was all she had and I had to honor my father."

Even though his words were a riddle to me, I knew I was right to feel scared. Not of Jude, but of whoever was coming for us and for their reasons. From somewhere inside I sensed he was talking about the darkest part of his past, something he had kept from everyone. I remember when I found out that his mother was a wolf and his father was human. He barely spoke about either of them. Even after he had taken me to the Harbor House when his mom had been beaten, he refused to speak about her more than he had to. There was more to Jude than he would ever share and I had a feeling that whatever his secret was, it had something to do with the Redbloods.   

A menacing growl leaving Mason's lips stilled any thoughts in my head. "That's enough." I wasn't the only one who flinched at his harsh tone, fear flashed across Jude's eyes as he took a step back. 

Spinning on my heels, I came face to face with a very angry guy who was not only quickly losing his temper, but also the battle with his wolf. "Mason, you can't protect me from everything!" My voice was louder than I wanted it to be. "Keeping things from me isn't going to keep me safe, it's going to put me in even more danger. I need to know what's happening and I want you to tell me what the hell is going on right now." 

Over the sound of the music, a slow, but loud and deliberate clap made its way to my ears. Mason's brows furrowed as he looked over my head, trying to see who it was. 

"Holy shit." Mason was breathless, his eyes were wide and his face had paled. 

"Mason?" I closed the distance between us in an attempt to gain his attention, but it was useless. He couldn't hear me. With a surge of panic, I cupped his face in my hands. "Mason, look at me." He looked horrified. Every feature took on a different appearance. He was scared and I didn't know why. I had no idea what was going on. "Please look at me." His breathing was heavy and his tensed body started to shake uncontrollably. "Mason, please." 

He never moved.

His eyes remained wide with fear – with shock – staring at something behind me. I looked again, but nothing caught my eye. As the song slowly came to an end, the slow clap gained everyone's attention.

The applause quickened and suddenly a figure came into view. A ripple of gasps and strangled screams tore through the crowd and with no music, the shock and fear from everyone was carried off into the emptiness of the forest around us. 

"I believe I owe my congratulations to the happy couple." I didn't recognize the voice. It was bitter, yet filled with amusement. A cold chill ran down my spine. I had no idea why the stranger's voice gave me a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach, but it did. 

He stood tall and proud, confidence pouring from his presence. With the garden being lit by hanging lanterns and fairy lights, I was able to see his features. In his early fifties, he was handsome. Salt and pepper hair was styled back from his face; his eyes were sharp, his nose and cheek bones looked as if they had been carved out of stone and his mouth was slightly turned up in a half smile. Recognition didn't hit, I'd never seen him before. 

His words and expression didn't fit with the feeling I had. His smile was more sinister than friendly, his words more tormenting than kind. Who was he?   Mason's arms tightened around me seconds before he pulled me behind him, sheltering me from the unfamiliar man. 

Alpha Peter pushed his way through the crowd until he stood slightly in front of Mason. He wore the same expression. Disbelief and horror. "You... You're... How...?" His words died in his throat. The cruel laugh that followed had me shrink back, hiding myself behind Mason even more.

"Surprised?" The man asked. 

No one spoke. 

Stealing a quick glance around the crowd, I noticed most of the woman had the same idea I had and hid behind their mate or any male wolf that was closest to them. Some men took on the same stance as Mason and Peter; standing tall with their shoulders broadened and their body tensed for attack, whilst others shied away, unable to look at the man standing before us.  

He chuckled again, obviously taking great pleasure in everyone's reaction and obvious discomfort. "Do I not get a welcome?" He asked with feigned surprise. "Are my pack not happy to see me?"

My confusion peeked at his words. His pack? What did he mean his pack? 

Holding his arms out, he began walking towards us. Peter took another step away from Mason, pushing us both further behind him. "Do not speak to them." He warned. "You have no right to be here." 

The man stopped and slowly let his arms return to their slack position at his sides. His face twisted, the barely there smile wiped away and replaced with a scowl that even Mason's couldn't match. "I have every right." Looking around him, his eyes brushed over each face until it landed on mine. "I apologize for the Vermont's lack of politeness; it would seem standards have slipped." Carefully eyeing Peter and Mason, he cautiously took a step forward. "Who are you?" 

"Mason leave, and take her with you." Peter ordered. 

The man's scowl curved into a smug smirk. "Dear Peter, I don't believe it is your place to give orders to a new Alpha, is it?" 

"Peter's right," Alpha Tom appeared from behind Mason and I, and positioned himself next to Peter. "This isn't where you belong anymore."   

With Tom's arrival, the man only seemed to grow more amused. "Well, if it isn't little Thomas Hudson. It's been too long, friend." 

Tom made a sound of disgust in the back of his throat. "You're no friend of mine or anyone else here." 

With a sound somewhere between a snort and a chuckle, the man picked a freshly poured glass up from the table and took a small gulp. "I must say," he paused to look around him at everyone, "this is not exactly the greeting I expected." 

"What did you expect?" Sara called out from across the garden. "A welcome back party for a monster like you," she snarled, "you're lucky you can still breathe turning up here like this."   

The man seemed to be pleased with her words rather than taking them as the insult which I'm sure she had intended. "Such hostility." Bringing the flute to his lips once again, he began to move in slow, deliberate and almost predatory movements. 

I edged closer to Mason and lifted myself up on to my tip toes. "What does she mean welcome back?" I kept my voice low as I whispered in his ear. 

"Ah, yes," I jumped at the sound of his voice. "The wallflower, I'd almost forgotten about you." He chuckled. "Almost."   

Mason squared his shoulders to shield me even more, but the man's eyes were unwavering. "Would this be our new Luna?" His brow raised. 

Sara stormed across the dance floor and stood directly in front of me, her hands balled into fists at her sides. "Don't you dare address her!" Her voice was carried off into the silent night. "I order you to get out of my house this second!" 

The man was unfazed by her outburst, "My dear sister-in-law, the power to make orders is no longer yours." 

Sister-in-law? 

Her face reddened. "I may not be the Luna in command, but this is still my house and I want you out of it right now." Peter took a step forward and took a hold of her upper arm, pulling her away from him. "I wish he would have killed you," her voice brought a curl to his lips and a blazing hate to his eyes, "he would have been doing everyone a favor." 

"Mom!" Mason yelled, speaking for the first time. 

Peter looked back over his shoulder at his son, "Stay out of this, Mason." 

I could sense Mason's mood shift and through the small contact of our bodies I could feel him becoming tense, his shoulders suddenly rigid and the muscles in his back harden. 

The man's eyes lingered for a second on Sara before falling on Mason. The harsh glare was still visible, but there was no hiding that they had softened slightly. "What a man you have become, Mason. I do hope you're a better Alpha than your father, it seems standards have been overlooked." He noted with disgust, taking in the crowd of people. 

His fingertips brushed the soft table cover as he closed the distance between us. "It would bring me no greater pleasure than to destroy your traitorous father, however you and your wallflower now reign power of this pack." 

Tears welled up in my eyes as I fought to swallow the pain shooting through my body. My wolf had heard enough. Questions of who this man was, why he hated everyone so much and why everyone feared him, disappeared. My wolf was ready to protect us, to shift and prepare for an attack. 

My wolf's attention shifted away from the stranger and to the edge of the forest. Dark figures were slowly approaching. Trying not to draw attention to myself, I kept my head forward and only moved my eyes, noting more and more silhouettes closing in on us. It didn't escape my attention that not all were in human form. Groups of wolves were also approaching alongside them. 

As far as I could see, no one had noticed them or if they had, they were too frozen with fear and confusion to do anything. Bella was hiding herself against Cole's chest, his arms tightly wrapped round her and Emma was hidden behind Ray who had his arms reached out behind him, holding her. To my surprise, Nicky was nowhere to be seen. Even Sophia was squeezed between a terrified looking man and woman.   

With a dry mouth and racing heart, I reached out and lightly tugged Mason's shirt. "Fear not wallflower." The sound of his voice sent a cold shiver down my spine and I knew he had noticed me looking at the unwelcome additions to the crowd. "I, as you have witnessed, am not very welcome and it was in my best interest to bring them." 

Despite his words, I didn't feel any less comfortable being surrounded by unfamiliar humans and wolves. They were predatory and in that second I had no doubt I had the Alpha of the Redbloods standing in front of me. They weren't just here to help, this was an ambush. 

He continued speaking with his nonchalant tone, "They will not harm anyone here." Though his words were a promise, I sensed there was a 'unless I tell them to' ending to that sentence that went unsaid. "Now," he turned his attention back to Mason, "I will wish you my final congratulations and leave you to celebrate with your guests and in return, I would like you to give me something." 

I didn't like the sound of that and by the deathly silence from everyone, including Peter and Sara, everyone shared the dreaded feeling of what was coming next. 

What could he possibly want? 

My wolf was quick to scold my naivety, but I was under no impression that it was going to be as simple as a quick exchange. He'd gone to too much trouble for that and whatever he wanted, he wouldn't leave until he had it. 

"What do you want?" Mason asked, reaching behind and taking hold of my hand. 

The man's eyes flickered to our entwined hands and back before answering, "I want a mother and her son. I want my revenge." His tall form broadened making him and his words all the more threatening. "Give me him," his eyes, filled with anger and hate, fell on Jude, "and I will leave. No harm caused to any of you." 

I stood wide eyed with my mouth agape. Why Jude? Mason said nothing, only turned his head slightly towards his father. "What? Are you kidding me?" I snatched my hand from Mason's and stalked towards the intruder who thought he had a right to threaten people and hand out his orders. "Who the hell are you to come into someone's house and demand something? You can go to hell before you think we're going to let you take Jude anywhere." My cheeks flared with the anger that burnt in my stomach. Mason screamed my name, but I ignored him and yelled even louder. "Do you hear me? You can go to hell." 

With my words I knew all pretenses of politeness and feign friendliness had gone. "Silly wallflower," his patronizing tone only served to fuel my rage, "I've been to hell and back and it was rather fun." He chuckled. "As much as I don't appreciate your tone, I am willing to overlook it and again promise that no harm will come to anyone here if the boy comes with me." 

No words described the inferno of anger in my body at that moment. "He's not going anywhere and your threats aren't going to change that!" 

"Harper, it's okay." 

I spun on my heel to face Jude. I had to have been hearing things, there's no way he was agreeing to this. "No, it's not okay. Have you gone crazy?!" He looked away from me. "Mason? Say something." 

Looking back over his shoulder, Mason and Jude locked gazes. I took a small breath of relief. At least someone hadn't completely lost their mind. My lips slowly began to lift. Mason wouldn't let Jude go with him, he wouldn't let this happen.  

Turning back, I crossed my arms over my chest and stared straight into those wells of blackness. The silence of the woods had been shattered with my yelling, but still no one made the slightest movement. In fact, the air buzzed with a new sense of terror. My mom's cheeks were lined with black tears and my dad, holding her in his arms, trembled. 

The warning from my wolf and my mind told me I should back away and hide myself behind Mason, but I refused. There was no way I was cowering away from him. 

"There's your answer," I spat, "so now you can take your 'help' and leave us alone." 

The smile I received definitely wasn't what I expected. "I admit your wallflower has a lot of bravery," he said to Mason, "unlike the rest of your pack. I respect that. It's a fine trait for a Luna to have and I would expect your pack to share my respect." 

His words had no effect on me. I didn't want his respect. 

"However, I came here for one thing and I will not leave without it. That gives you two options," he held up his forefinger, "one, you can hand the boy over and we will leave or two," he added his middle finger, "I will take the boy with force and you'd rather I didn't do that." 

Feeling a hand on my shoulder and knowing it was Mason soothed me a little and my wolf appreciated the simple touch as well. Tightening his grip ever so slightly, he pulled me backwards. "You can have what you wish." 

What!? My head snapped towards Mason just to catch Jude walking past us and towards the man. "No!" I screamed, thrashing my arms and trying to fight myself away out of his arms that now circled me in an iron hold. "You can't do this!" Tears fell freely down my cheeks. "Jude!" My throat started to dry and burn from screaming. My legs helplessly kicked out in the air as I was lifted off the ground. 

Sobs and cries could be heard from all around me, but no one was trying to stop him. Most had turned their faces away, not being able to watch a helpless boy walk in to the hands of a monster. 

"Please," I was still struggling to free myself from Mason and his attempt to calm me with whispered words only made me rage more. "Why are you doing this? What has he done to you?" 

The words echoed as everything else seemed to die in silence. Those vicious eyes flashed to mine. For what felt like hours, he did nothing but stare at me. Thoughts and emotions crossing his face too fast to put a name to. He had even held up his hand to signal for Jude to stop walking. 

"Please don't do this, little kitten." Mason squeezed me closer to him, no doubt trying to get a better hold on me now that I had stopped still. "You need to let this go, trust me." 

I did trust him and he handed my best friend to a stranger like nothing but property. 

"Answer me!" I was surprised how strong my voice was. "Why him?" 

The answer scared me. I had no idea what he was going to say, but I knew whatever it was, it would pull me in to a world I wasn't sure I was ready for. 

Through the quietness of the night, his loud bark of a laugh broke out. His head fell back and his shoulders shook with a deep sound that was both hearty and menacing. "You really don't know, do you?" 

He wasn't mocking me; he was genuinely surprised. 

"Oh my," he gave a disapproving look to Mason, Peter and finally Sara before continuing. "Unfortunately, you have been welcomed into a family, into a pack, that has kept a lot from you. You have befriended someone who has lied to you." I momentarily looked at Jude, who stood with his back to me. "Dear wallflower, though you were silly to approach me the way you did, you have my respect and I believe you are far braver than you probably give yourself credit for. How sad that you must find out this way." 

My chest rose and fell heavily. What was he talking about? Goosebumps rose on my arms, my body trembled and my mind clouded with confusion. 

His foreboding glare returned to Jude. "Your friend was almost the cause of my demise." 

The skin between my brows creased. Did Jude sabotage his pack or something? "I don't understand." 

"You see, once I had finished having fun with his pathetic little family, I set out to destroy them once and for all. I had my name and a pack to protect, anything that would have come from their dirty mouths would have ruined that and I would die before I let that happen." He gave a dark chuckle as he brushed invisible flint from his sleeve. "Your friend," his eyes once again flashing to Jude, "became the man of the house once I'd slaughtered his father. What went wrong, you may ask? Wallflower, a boy pretending to be a man is no man at all. Though I do have to give credit where it is due, he tried and almost succeeded." 

I still had no idea what he was talking about. "He succeeded in what?" 

"Young Jude over here made it his mission to seek his revenge for my... toying with his family. He was smart boy, he knew exactly how to entice me in and to make sure I was alone. For someone of such a young age, he did a better job than half of my pack could have done. Again, despite our difference, he has my respect for that." 

The air remained silent as we listened to his story, though I was sure my racing heart could be heard. The heavy drumming in my chest was loud in my ears.  

"I was caught off guard, which of course gave him the upper hand and yes, you may ask how a child was able to trick a man. It is simple. I may be ruthless, but I would never hurt a child. I was blind to who he was. I didn't recognize him and because of this I wasn't prepared. He found me vulnerable." 

The more he spoke and the more he shared, the heavier my heart pounded. Had I not had the support of Mason holding me up, I would have crumbled to the ground. My head was a mist of confusion and making sense of everything he was saying struck me with a fierce pain through my temples. 

He continued as if he were telling us nothing more important than his daily routine, "For a halfblooded mongrel, I had come to the conclusion that he had either done his research or he had been taught well by his mother." This wasn't the first time he had spoken about Carmen and with each mention, his body would involuntarily twitch ever so slightly and had he not have held my full attention, I wouldn't have noticed it. "And wouldn't she have been proud had you have actually managed to do it." 

I was growing impatient and bored with his story. "Do what?" 

"Jude tried to kill me." 

My expression betrayed the shock that overtook me. Too many thoughts and words formed at once, I couldn't get any of them to make sense or leave my mouth. 

His words repeated in my head. 

I didn't believe them. How could I, it was ridiculous. He was alive and well right in front of me.

"You're lying." A nervous, unbelieving snort left my mouth. "You're... you're crazy." I shook my head trying to clear it from the nonsense I was hearing. 

He smiled. "Alas, my trusted few came for me, one in particular I owe my life to." He chucked with dark amusement, "Literally." 

A ripple of low laughter flowed around us as the circle of humans he had brought laughed along with him. "Your friend was taught well, but not well enough and unfortunately hadn't succeeded as well as he thought he had." 

"Jude, tell him this isn't right." Instead of protesting his innocence as I hoped he would, he simply looked back over his shoulder. I saw then, the shame and sadness in his eyes, the silent apology he was sending me, that everything the man had said was true. 

My mouth hung open as I digested this information. Jude had tried to kill someone? Why would he do that? The Jude I knew wouldn't hurt anyone, it was possible and I wouldn't believe it. 

Then as if my mind was waiting for the perfect moment, Mason's words came back to me. 

'I warned you. I told you to stay away from him, but you wouldn't listen and now you're trying to get yourself involved in something you can't even understand.'     

The conclusion I came to had uncontrollable tears break free. Mason had been right. He had been right all along. Time and time again, he told me to stay away from Jude, but I didn't listen. a sickening churn weighed heavy in my stomach. I swallowed the bile that had risen in my throat, ignoring the bitter taste. Those words plagued my mind, unwilling to stop and determined to cause me more pain.  

"Pretty girl," Jude's voice was low and cautious, I could barely hear him over my heavy pants of breath, "I never meant to hurt you or lie to you. I wanted to tell you everything, but I couldn't put her through more than she's already been through. I would never hurt you, Harper. I'm sorry." Turning back to the monster in front of him, he gave a sharp, final nod. "I will come with you without a fight, but you have to promise to leave everyone alone. Especially Mason and Rainie, they don't deserve to be hurt for something I've done. None of them do." He closed the distance between them. "Give me your word and you can do whatever you want with me." 

Even though I was still sickened by what I'd heard, the image that was burnt into my mind at Jude's words upset me. "Who are you?"

"You should ask your mate who I am." 

I refused to take my eyes off him for a second. "I'm asking you." My voice was raw, deep with an emotion of finality. 

He chuckled again, "This is more amusing than I thought it would be. Ruining a pack, a boy and his mother, I would have enjoyed, but destroying the relationship between mates? Well, that's more than I bargained for." His lips were set in a firm smirk. 

"We've given you what you want." Mason said with fear and panic clear in his voice. "You promised you would leave. She hasn't done anything to you. She doesn't even know who you are." 

The man's voice was cold, emotionless. "Enlighten her then." Mason said nothing. "Very well," the man sighed, taking a few steps towards us, but keeping his distance from Jude, "Politeness hasn't always been my strong point, so forgive me for the late introduction," he swept his trench coat back and took a bow, the words he spoke next rang in my ears long after he had said them.   

"I'm Michael Vermont, Alpha to the Redbloods."       

My heart stopped and a mix of understanding and realization filled my head. My body felt heavy, yet weightless at the same time. 

Michael Vermont. 

Mason's uncle. 

Carmen's mate. 

Michael Vermont, once Alpha of the Harbor Pack, now murderous, ruthless Alpha to the Redbloods. 

It was too much. Everything overwhelmed me at a rate I couldn't cope with. Voices and screams were becoming nothing but a dull echo in the far corner of my mind. Mason's warm touch was cold against my burning skin.   

He laughed. "Consider this a gift to you both."  

"You bastard!" Mason bellowed out over the other sounds that had started to fill my ears again. "I'll kill you for doing this." 

"Now, my dear nephew, your threats are merely a waste of your own breathe." 

I could feel Mason's body shaking worse than mine, though his was purely out of anger. "Jude, I order you to leave." 

At his words I watched through teary eyes as Jude turned to face Mason. He forced a tight smile and nodded, "I will." He said, before facing the monster again. "I'm ready." 

Feeling a deep breath exhale against my back, I looked up to Mason, trying to steady myself at the same time. "No." His cerulean eyes met mine and I immediately understood what he was asking. 

My mind cleared.

This would be it. Once he said those words, there would be no going back, no agreements could be made and no one would know what would happen. No allegiances could be called, this would be it. 

The strongest would win. 

Did I believe our packs would defeat them? I wasn't sure. 

Did I believe in Mason? Absolutely.   

I nodded. 

Are you sure? He linked to me. 

I will follow your command, Alpha. I love you.

I love you too and I will die to protect you, my Luna.

With strong, squared shoulders and a stern voice, he looked his uncle in the eyes and spoke the words that would change everything for all of us. 

"Alpha Michael Vermont of the Redbloods, I Alpha Mason Vermont of the Harbor Pack, declare war on you."      

Stay wonderful, stay weird...
All my love, my beautiful werewolves ♥♥♥

THE SEQUEL TO OSNYWM IS CALLED 'NOW YOU HAVE ME'

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

5.5M 178K 40
(Complete) Rae East has always cast herself off as a girl not worthy of a Mate. With a past of self-doubt and expectations of a hopeless future, her...
Stubborn Oleh Cypress

Manusia Serigala

169 14 4
When Marcie comes home one night to her mother telling her they are moving to a small town, hours away from everything she knew and loved, she feels...
171K 3.5K 17
"Say it Blake" Damon says forcefully, keeping my hands pinned above my head. "Say what I want to hear" "N-No Damon" I whimpered. The pain in my wrist...
642K 10.9K 48
Melissa is an independent 16 years old werewolf, who is dreading her 17th birthday. Wonder why? That's the time she'll meet her mate. But she doesn't...