The Dark Times Will Pass - B...

Por NightElflady

** 1ST PLACE WINNER in THE ANGEL AWARDS 2017, FANFICTION CATEGORY** Illidan picked Sarah up, cradling her to... Más

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Cast
PROLOGUE - GPWRRL
1. HOME FROM HOME
2. OLD FRIENDS
3. SANCTUARY
4. HAUNTED HEART
5. LOVE OR HATE
6. RESILIENCE
7. EMBRACING THE LIGHT
8. CHOICES
9. SHATTRATH
10. NAARU
11. WE ARE PREPARED
12. FOR AZEROTH!
13. PROPHECY
14. THE CRUSADE BEGINS
15. PIOUS MEN IN IVORY TOWERS
16. ENTRY TO THE VAULT
17. RESCUE
18. THE TWISTING NETHER
19. REBORN
20. THE RECKONING
21. A SMALL REPRIEVE
22. BROTHERS IN ARMS
23. RISE OF THE TITANS
EPILOGUE

24. FAREWELLS

605 33 71
Por NightElflady

It had been a tragic, exhausting and costly two years during the Burning Legion's attempt to annihilate Azeroth. Many loved ones, friends and comrades had fallen in their brave attempts to defeat the demonic armies. The spawn had advanced relentlessly over the lands; homes had been destroyed, livelihoods upturned and at times, it seemed the battle was lost.

Still, the people of Azeroth had never stopped fighting. They never gave up, clutching to what little hope there was, taking risks, trusting in the unthinkable, the unlikely and the utterly impossible. And in the end, they triumphed.

The five spherical remains of the Pillars of Creation were now housed securely in the Violet Citadel in Dalaran, protected by enchantments catalogued in the book of Alodi, the first Guardian of Tirisfal. They would forever represent the courage and determination of the peoples of Azeroth.

They also paid tribute to the extraordinary woman from another dimension, whose love of the world and all in it, drove her to demonstrate that it was wise to look through glass both ways. It may seem clear from one perspective, but the view from the other side could often afford an insight that would otherwise have been overlooked.

Now, five days after the defeat of the Legion, it was time for Azeroth to grieve for the fallen. Time to say farewell to the countless brave men and women who had served their monarchs, their realms, protecting all they held dear, without question.

And amongst the brave, a great paladin, husband, father, uncle and friend.

Vindicator Ocel.

Music: Josh Groban - "Remember Me" from soundtrack for Troy

His body had been transported home to the Exodar, the enchanted capital city of the draenei on Azuremyst Isle.

There, his extensive family, fellow draenei and comrades who fought beside him over the years amassed for his funeral. It was a stately affair, akin to that for a monarch. He had been loved dearly, and was immensely well respected.

Khadgar, along with King Varian, Prince Anduin, stood in silent remembrance as Ishanah, High Priestess of the Aldor led the ceremony. Ocel's mummified remains were to be laid to rest in the family crypt which overlooked the Veiled Sea. Appropriate, as he had always loved watching the sun set over the sea, west of the Exodar.

Drew, Erik and Sarah stayed a respectful distance behind the main funeral group. It pained Sarah greatly to see such infinite sorrow particularly in Ocel's family. They seemed so close, so devoted to each other and so lost without their figurehead beside them.

She herself had thought so highly of the draenei paladin. He was an influential strategist, with keen attention to detail. He had proven himself a formidable fighter, a great leader of men and a good friend in the short time she had known him. She remembered fondly, some of his tales he used to tell, and how his deep hearty laughter used to rumble round a room.

Khadgar came to stand beside Sarah and the others as the family said their farewells to Ocel before he was interred. She noted the pain in Khadgar's eyes. It tore at her heart. He had lost his confidant, the man he'd shared so many secrets, moments, laughs and life stories with. She wished she could spare him this grief, but it was something out of her hands. He stood watching the procession, his jaw clenched, lips tight, fighting back an outpouring of emotion. She curled her fingers round his and looked up into the eyes she adored. He managed the barest of smiles before turning his attention back to the crypt.

With the paladins' body interred, the family stood back allowing friends and comrades to pay their respects. Khadgar moved forward, his hand placed gently on Sarah's back guiding her with him.

Ocel's wife and their two eldest sons were at the front of the family gathering. Lukha with baby Caeniir, and Taril close beside them. They graciously and bravely accepted people's words of comfort and commiseration.

Now at the front of the line of mourners, Khadgar took Ocel's wife's hand in his right, covering it with his left. Bowing his head, he offered his deepest sympathies; his voice so soft, only she could hear. The widow stepped forward and hugged him. He had been her husband's greatest friend, and his pain was as great as hers. She seemed to offer him as much comfort and sympathy as he did her.

She then turned her eyes to Sarah, who in turn, expressed her sorrow for their loss. She was taken by surprise when the draenei spoke her name. "Sarah. I am Enhsa and it is a pleasure to meet you. I wish it had been under happier circumstances."

"The honour is mine, Enhsa," Sarah replied lowering her eyes, struggling to fight back the tears and the tremor in her voice.

Enhsa reached out and with two fingers, lifted Sarah's head so she was looking into her eyes. "Ocel spoke very highly of you," she said. "He saw greatness in you." The draenei widow glanced at Khadgar before resuming. "In fact, he also said you were the best thing to happen to this man here." She smiled at the Archmage, who offered a small smile in return. Turning back to Sarah, Enhsa took her hold of her hands. "It will make Ocel's spirit happy knowing you are together again."

Sarah's fight to stem the flow failed, tears traced down her cheeks but she attempted to smile as she spoke. "Thank you, Enhsa. I was very privileged to have met your husband. We will all miss him so much."

The draenei woman smiled. "Please Sarah, visit with us any time. I know Ocel would wish it so and you are more than welcome in our home."

With that, they moved on and allowed others to say their farewells.

The day stretched out. The wake was truly a celebration of the great paladin's life. Many stories were shared ranging from when he was a young boy to an apprentice and finally Vindicator. There was at least some laughter and the man was brought to life again by the sharing of memories. Still, as the sun started to sink over the Veiled Sea, time for quiet reflection returned once more.

Wrapped together in a blanket, Khadgar and Sarah sat atop a hill over-looking the Veiled Sea and watched as the last sliver of bright orange faded into soft purples and deep blues. They huddled together watching the stars as they punctured the indigo sky. A shooting star shot overhead.

"I made my wish," Sarah said snuggling against his arm. "Did you?" She looked up at his face.

He remained fixed, looking out over the sea. A soft grunt sounded in his chest. His mouth bore a tight smile. "Yes, though I doubt it will be granted." He didn't look at her.

She sensed what his wish was, but the inevitable was upon them. This was Sarah's final night in Azeroth. She and Drew had made arrangements to return home next day.

Enhsa's tender words however, had made it all the harder to face. She could not help but feel she was abandoning Khadgar, when he had lost so much already. It had been a conversation they had engaged in only briefly, both feeling the hurt, and yet equally realising she had to return to her own world. She hoped reassuring him that she would return more frequently, would somehow ease his pain. He tried to brave it out, but she could see what played behind his eyes; the thought she may never return at all.

She huddled into his embrace as the stars kept blooming until the Kalimdor sky looked like bejewelled curtain drawn over the land. It was their final salute to the great man and friend, Vindicator Ocel. Then they left Exodar behind and portalled back to Stormwind.

Sarah woke to find an empty space beside her. Khadgar had left quietly. Betwixt hurt and understanding, she swallowed down her disappointment at his absence and rose to start getting things ready for her return home.

Drew was already busy doing that very thing when she joined Erik and him in the livingroom. She helped with finding the last stray items, earbuds, phone, little first aid kit and slid them into her rucksack. She left some clothes, the intention being they would be there for when she returned. They went about things in silence, both knowing if they spoke, they would have broken down.

Drew was at odds with it almost as much as she was. He had loved his time in Azeroth. He had met some wonderful people, some scary ones too but all things considered, he did not want it to end. His mind drifted to the beautiful blood elf demon hunter, Tiene. What they had shared the night before had made him open up to emotions he had tried so hard to conceal. But her story, which she told in full, was the most heart-breaking thing he had ever heard. Going home now, was more than just bittersweet. It was agony.

Erik busied himself making some breakfast for them, also trying to put on a brave face. They would have one last visit to make before they left Azeroth, and it was at the King's request. They had asked however, that it be a very private gathering, only three individuals. It was guaranteed to be an emotional parting. And he had no doubt one parting in particular would be excruciating.

They arrived at the gates to the Keep and as hoped, it was quiet. Drew reached out for Sarah's hand, and with a lop-sided smile he took the first step towards the entrance. Almost at the giant archway, they heard the sound of wings and turned to see Arcaena, Kayn and Tiene glide down.

Sarah felt a mixture of joy and sadness at seeing them. This was hard enough without having to face them too. And, if that wasn't all, another demon hunter arrived and landed behind them a few feet away. Illidan. His arrival, above all else, completely took her by surprise.

He beckoned Sarah with a taloned finger. She looked to Arcaena, who nodded and smiled in her usual curled lip manner. Sarah approached Illidan Stormrage. He seemed even taller than she remembered and although she knew he would not harm her, she still felt a slight unease in his presence. He was nonetheless, truly magnificent to behold.

Drew watched with interest as she neared the huge demon hunter. His attention was soon drawn away by the light touch of slender fingers curling round his hand. He looked round and saw Tiene, smiling at him. Strangely, there was no need for words, they seemed to understand each other perfectly. He had let her know he fully intended to return, even though he knew she would not be waiting for him. They held each other's hand and observed Sarah and Illidan.

The farewell of the mighty Lord of demon hunters and his little human saviour was somewhat surreal. Placing an enormous taloned hand on the side of her head, Illidan drew her close and leaned down to whisper in her ear. Drew could swear he saw her hair almost floating on the breath of the demon hunter as his lips drew nearer. Whatever he was whispering, was taking some time.

She shook her head, pulling away a little, but the he drew her towards him again and whispered some more. Illidan eventually pulled back, releasing her.

She spoke quietly to him so others could not hear. He merely nodded his head in answer. Finally, she clasped his hand in both of hers. It looked like she was almost in prayer, with her head bowed, standing in front of a gigantic living, breathing deity. She raised her eyes to look at him and released his hand. They shared a silent understanding. Illidan smiled, then quite suddenly he kicked off the ground and soared up and away from the Keep.

Sarah waited until she could see him no more before turning towards the keep. At the entrance she stopped and embraced Arcaena. "Thank you," she said to the one-time night elf.

Arcanea's lip formed into her signature smile. "You are thanking me?" she laughed lightly. "This has all been achieved through you Sarah Metcalfe, and those who you have brought together and inspired. Now take heed of Illidan's words."

Sarah smirked. Inwardly, she so wanted to say Lord Illidan knows the way, but she refrained from the temptation. Instead, she simply thought, Well, we'll see. Tiene hugged her also and Kayn bowed in a show of respect. She mirrored him. Then they too took their leave.

Now the last farewells were about to commence.

As promised, only those mentioned were awaiting them; King Varian, Prince Anduin and Khadgar. Sarah swallowed hard as she noticed Khadgar fighting back the pain of goodbyes. She had assured him, while they had lay in each other's arms the night before, that she would return someday soon. Now she knew how the gem worked, she would not wait as long as three weeks to return next time. He had tried to make light of it, but she knew he was still hurting.

All gratitudes for deeds done had already been awarded by the King and so it was only time for goodbye now.

King Varian shook Drew's hand, likewise with Sarah. Prince Anduin simply hugged her, like a lifelong friend and shook Drew's hand. Erik practically squeezed the life out the both of them before wiping a tear from his eye. "We'll be back," Drew reassured the dwarf.

"Aye," sniffed Erik, stepping back beside Anduin.

Khadgar smiled at Drew and shaking his hand, he asked him to take good care of Sarah. His voice quivered, so he cut any further farewell short.

Then Sarah stood in front of the Archmage. The others moved away allowing them some privacy. It was hard to find words. Her heart was beating like a captive bird, her hands shaking. She raised her eyes to his, and the sight of those steel orbs swimming made her throw her arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms round her. They remained that way for a few moments, before Khadgar finally broke the silence. "Sarah," he breathed. "I almost didn't come today. This is so hard. I feel I am losing you again."

Her fingers were wringing his tunic. She was hesitant. Nervous. Fate - was it kind or cruel? She buried her head against his chest.

Khadgar could sense there was something worrying her and it was more than just their farewell. "What is wrong, Sarah? You seem...tense."

After a few deep breaths, she explained. "Illidan was waiting for me outside. There is something he told me, which I think you should know."

His eyes tried to lock with hers, but she was trembling, and avoiding his gaze. "Tell me! What is wrong?" He lifted her chin so their eyes would meet. His concern grew as he saw the threat of tears. "Sarah! Speak to me."

The others watched, a little awkwardly as the Archmage and Sarah continued whispering to each other. Khadgar seemed to momentarily falter and took a step back from her.

Sarah turned to leave, but quickly, he caught her arm. Moving in front, blocking the view of her from the others, he leaned down and their quiet conversation continued. Moments later, he clung to her as if not wanting to let her go. A small sob was heard from her.

Although he understood their parting was agonising for them, Drew decided it was time to open the portal. This whole goodbye thing was too painful to watch. He vowed that he and Sarah would try and do the math so that they returned within an acceptable timescale for the Azerothians. He could tell if the Archmage had to wait another two years before seeing Sarah again, he'd be driven nuts.

He took out the gem which Sarah had given Khadgar to pass to him. He understood how it worked now, and with a clear image of home in his mind, he willed a portal to take them back to the Scottish Borders, umpteen universes away. The watery swirls of blues and greens expanded before him. "Sarah," he called, holding out his hand.

Her eyes were red and puffy. Gently she pulled from Khadgar's grasp and walked to stand beside Drew at the portal. She took his hand.

Taking a deep breath, he asked, "Ready?" He watched her face, waiting for her to answer.

It was mere seconds, but the intensity of her gaze made it feel longer than that. He glanced behind her where Khadgar stood. The Archmage wore a ... unreadable expression. It was not one Drew was used to seeing and he could only assume it was consternation. His eyes drifted back to Sarah.

She shrugged off the ruck sack and handed it to him. He looked at it and then back at her. She was shaking her head.

"Sarah?" Drew questioned. Once more he looked at Khadgar. Now the man's expression was easy to read. It was relief.

"I'm sorry Drew. But, I'm staying this time." Sarah said.

"What? No, Sarah, you have to come home. There's your work, your friends ... your ..."

She placed her hand on his shoulder. "There was only ever you, Drew. Yes, I had work mates but, they were never close really. I have no family, my parents are gone and the only cousins I have are so distant they don't even know I exist. You however, can visit us here, anytime you wish."

The King, Anduin and Erik all looked at each other in surprise, but said nothing. Erik started to edge a little nearer Drew and Sarah.

Drew slumped, as if the wind had been knocked out of him. "Sarah!" He pleaded.

She simply smiled and shook her head.

"How am I going to explain you not being there? There will be questions ..." He tried to reason with her.

"They all know I was, how shall we say... pre-occupied, unhappy, miserable actually. Tell them I phoned you out the blue and explained that I had been planning on moving abroad for quite a while. Say one of my Warcraft friends had offered me a place to stay in Spain, or France or....somewhere! Just don't say here or they will think you're nuts too." She smiled reassuringly. "You can do it Drew. And like I said, you can visit at weekends or whenever you want." She tried to suppress a giggle as she saw, from the corner of her eye, Erik shuffling nearer.

She looked back at Khadgar. He came over and stood close behind her. She took his right hand and placed it gently on her belly, clasping hers protectively over his. She swallowed before she spoke again. "I'm not sure just how far ahead we will be here by the time a weekend passes in our time ... but one of the times you come back Drew, there will be more of us." She waited for his reaction.

Drew took a moment, glancing at the two of them. Then he focused on Khadgar's hand on her belly.

The penny dropped. "Seriously?" he gasped. Leaning closer to Sarah he whispered. "But...but we've only been here...what a couple of weeks? Just over that? And you two didn't, erm....you know... for a while."

She grinned and whispered back her reply. "You forget, I was here before Drew, and then I was home for three weeks before we came back."

He was stunned and stepped back. He flinched as Erik bumped his arm. "Well, how ... how long have you known?" The dwarf looked between the two, his brows knitted, trying to work out what they were talking about.

Sarah answered Drew. "About ten minutes. That is what Illidan was telling me. He had seen the baby when our spirits fused in the Twisting Nether. When he healed me, the naaru protected the little one against any fel or other harm."

Erik could not contain himself on hearing the news. "Yer wi' child, lass?"

"Aye," Sarah replied, looking down at his excitable face before she turned to Khadgar. The Archmage was smiling broadly, obviously a very proud father to be. He kissed her forehead and pulled her close.

Drew couldn't help but feel sad that he was going home alone, but at the same time, he was genuinely delighted for Sarah. He had to just enjoy the fact that he could return whenever he wanted, so their friendship would never wane.

He hugged his best friend for the longest time. Then with a small kiss on her cheek, he bade her and Khadgar farewell. Holding Sarah's hand one last time he stepped through the portal, their fingers slipping, breaking contact until he was absorbed completely.

All comments, advice and suggestions are welcome. Should you like this chapter, please be kind enough to vote, it would be most appreciated.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

55.4K 1.8K 57
Follows story line of the ACOTAR series.... picks off right after ACOSF, so of course spoilers are meant to be said in this story. For people who hav...
39.3K 658 12
Set after the ending of the game and 4 years have past since the events that occured , Rachel is now 18 and Zack is 24. Rachel no longer feels the de...
14.7K 932 51
**1st Place WINNER in the GOLD AWARDS 2017 FANFICTION CATEGORY 2nd Place WINNER in the AQUA PEARL AWARDS 2017 FANFICTION CATEGORY and 2nd Place WINNE...
6.4K 946 22
[COMPLETE] A rambly angel. A debonair demon. A very stuck elevator... NIRAEL has never been the best angel. A little too loud, always in the wrong pl...