His Price

由 belleavril101

Regina is just 14 when she falls in love with the handsome Henry. Their love hemisphere rose more than it sho... 更多

Epilogue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 4

13 2 0
由 belleavril101

"Here honey, try this out. It's different." Regina fed her son a new flavour of cotton candy but the kid squeezed his face in distaste. They were in the mall for their usual mother-son bonding time. Regina had come up with this  since when Ray was a baby,it was a time for just herself and her son. She had  promised to always be available for Ray, if for anything, at least to make up for his lacked parent. Ray reached for his drink and gulped a mouthful.
"Thanks but no, thanks. I'll stick to the old one. I don't like it."
"Hmmm... You are so anti-change now aren't you?"
"I obviously am. Now I wonder where I got that habit from. Mum, i mean, you are Change personified!"
"Wow! Now that's a declaration!" They both laughed. But Regina need not think long before knowing whom he had inherited that trait from. Enjoying the rejected cotton candy, she gazed at passers-by when her gaze was captured by someone. Talk of the devil, was she hallucinating or was she actually seeing the source of her son's nasty trait.
****
   Henry had spotted them from afar. He knew he shouldn't but he just couldn't compel himself not to go and meet them. His mind was filled with so many thoughts. Could that be...be his child. His son! The kid had favoured his mother's light skinned complexion. He knew Regina would virtually eat him up by virtue of the cold expression on her face.
Looking down at the candy like something poisonous, she felt super angry. What was he doing here? "Oh crazy question!" She muttered under her breath. This was a mall after all. But suddenly she realised how small her  world had become with Henry's return.
The boy turned to see what had caused his  Mum's change in disposition and Henry was struck with a light-skinned younger version of himself. Especially the eyes.
"Hi Regina!" He brought himself to say when he finally got to her table.
"And this would be...'' He smiled down at the kid but was cut off by Regina's cold reply." My son." She couldn't have emphasised the possessiveness more in her words than she did.
"Hi kiddo, what's your name?"
"I'm Raymond, but people call me Ray. Mum who's he?"
"Huh?" Regina brought herself back from the strange world of fear she had been thrust into, seeing father and son so close and noticing the strong resemblance. Even a stranger could have bet his life on the relationship between both males.
"He's my new boss. Raymond,this is Mr. Henry."
"Henry? Oh! I know! This is the one who replaced Uncle Fidelis."
"Yeah. The same one." Regina nervously scratched her hair.
"Hmmmm... I'm the one ehh? Seems someone has been talking about me huh?"
"Don't be deluded,I just told him the Company got sold cos he's kinda close to my former employer."
"You should join us,I'm sure my mummy won't mind." Ray cut in,settling the built up atmosphere or rather worsening it for Regina.
"Uh... No! I think he has something to do. Right sir?" Regina a hurriedly objected.
"Actually... I don't." Henry smiled as he took his seat. He knew he was crossing the lines. But he really wanted to.
"So do you know anyone else who looks like you?" Ray asked getting back his attention. The kid was earnestly staring at him.
Oh boy! This kid was smart. Henry carefully thought about what he should say. He didn't want Regina to make any move he would regret for this stunt he pulled.
"Uhm...anyone like me?"
"Your eyes, I meant. We've got  same unique eye colour."
Damn! Ray had noticed. Gina thought to herself regretfully.
"Oh! It runs in my family. My dad said one of our ancestors was a white woman. He replied looking directly at Regina,knowing she was recalling the time she had asked that same question.
" Mum! Do you think we might be related? Wow! This will be like those adventurous cartoons, we could even hire a detective. Maybe carry out an investigation. What if we..."
"Ray, stop it! You want to know where you got that eye  colour from? God gave it to you  because you are special." Regina  quickly put in. She had to stop her son's imagination from running wild.
Henry admired the way she explained to her son. She was a good mother,he could tell.
"Henry can I have a word with you? In private." She walked a few paces from Ray and then addressed Henry.
"Look here! I don't want you putting ideas in my Son's head. He's lived without you all his life. He doesn't need you now either. So just stay away from him! You have been doing that well all these year anyway."
"Reg,I didn't_" But giving him a listening ear was the last thing on her mind. She brushed past him and went to her table to gather her things.
"Ray we'll leave now."
"But we just got here. Won't we even eat our meal?"
"You can do that in the car or at home. We have spent some time here already."
"But Mummy "fun-time" expires five-thirty. It's just four-thirty."
"Sweetheart could you stop nagging,it's not my fault traffic was bad and that queue wasted our time."
"Mummy please."
"I've got work to do Ray."
"What a spoil sport!" He muttered under his breath.
"Raymond!" She gave him a warning look. At this point Henry couldn't help but intervene.
"Ray,your mum's right. She has work to do. She will make it up to you.I'll see you later kiddo."
"It was nice meeting you."
"You too,son."
This time, it was Henry Regina glared at. But he didn't mind. He had finally met his son.

*****

When they finally  got home,Ray was slightly pissed with his Mum, so he went up to his room to play video games. Regina took the chance to call Stacy and invited her over to clear her mind. About thirty minutes later,Stacy arrived.
"Hi Stacy!"
"Hi G!" They both embraced and Stacy could feel her friend was really burdened.
"So what's up?"
"I have been around Henry for weeks now and I have pent up aggression  towards him but I have been unable to express it."
"Wow. So what went wrong today?"
"Henry stumbled upon Ray and I earlier today at the mall. He saw Ray for the first time. As I watched both of them communicate,I felt so scared and threatened. I don't want him to take Ray away from me."
"Shh! He won't. He can't! I mean he relinquished his rights years ago."
"I just hope so because I will die if Ray's taken away from me. I don't know what to do. I need serious counselling right now."
"Well,i think you just said the answer to your problem."
"Counselling?"
"You should see your pastor for counsel."
''No! You know I don't believe in telling strangers your stories and expecting them to give solutions "
"Believe me,it works. By the way, Pastor Jeremy ain't a stranger, is he?"
   At the sanctuary church, the massive structure lay welcoming. On service days,it was filled with different kinds of people,all with hope of redemption from God. The compound was surrounded with flowers which were tended by the pastor's wife. Pastor Jeremy had been pastoring the church since she moved into PH and was friends with Ray and herself. The church had openly accepted them without judging them although,a few had murmured at the beginning but majority had taken her in as family. Perhaps, this family could offer her some advice today.
  Seated across the table from her was Pastor Jeremy, the ever patient man,waiting for her to speak. He was dark and slightly huge with an authoritative and fatherly air about him that people like and respect him.
"Sister Regina, what is it you want to say?''
"This is difficult. I shouldn't have come."
"You just have to trust and confide in me."
"He's back! Ray's father."
"Back? I thought you didn't have any contact with him."
"I didn't. Some weeks ago,he just showed up at the office. Turns out he's the new owner of the company."
"What's wrong? Is he threatening you?"
"Not literally. But his presence is. I don't want to lose Ray. Ten years ago,he walked out on me.His mother and himself denied my pregnancy. I needed his support but he wasn't there. It's not like I was asking him to marry me. We were young and stupid but I just needed his help. All these years, it's been difficult. Going to school, working, alongside raising Raymond."She couldn't stop the tears anymore.
You know what, one time when Ray was seven,he was asked to design a project about his family. My baby didn't have anything about his father. His mates mocked him. He asked me why his family had to be different. I had to tell a seven year old that his dad was never going to be in the picture. It hurt to see my son hurt. Now everything is running smoothly, he's coming back. That's just what I don't need. I just hate him so much! Don't you think I deserve to hate him? At least, a little?"
"My child I understand you are hurt. But hating him won't help. Remember Jesus said you should forgive your neighbour seventy times seven. You are to love your neighbour just as Christ has loved you. Even when Peter betrayed him,he still loved him.
You have to forgive and give this young man a second chance. At least hear him out.
" No! That's easy for you to say. I faced the pain. I faced the challenges. I_"
She broke down even more.
"Let go dear. Let it go to Jesus."
"No! Not yet. I can't just let go. It's not that simple. I have to go." With that, she thanked the pastor and ran out of the church.
"I don't deserve this! Nor does my son." She muttered as she drove away.

*****
Henry needed some elderly advice and that was why he had even considered counselling. To him, this was meant for the movies. Good thing his old buddy,Pastor Jeremy had been transferred to  PH city. They had met during his NYSC days at Abuja. He always had something to say. Something that could lift up his spirit. He smiled and walked over to his buddy when he spotted him seated at the front row of seats.
"Pastor J!"
"Ah! Henry! I can't believe I'm seeing you!"
"Well I was in the neighborhood and I thought, why don't I go see my friend. How's the family?"
"The Lord is always good to us. My wife is at the house while my kids are at their friends'.
" Great. "
"Hmm... Henry it's been quite a while though. What really brings you here?"
"Nothing really." He breathed with difficulty
"Everything actually. I need help right now."
"What is it?"
After Henry took his seat,he began his tale.
"About ten years ago, I messed up real bad . I had a relationship with this lady of which a pregnancy resulted. I was too cowardice to accept my responsibility and with the aid of my mother, I chickened out. All these years, I have been trying my best to move on and forget my miserable past but then when I came here, I stumbled across this lady. Turns out she had the baby, she's really mad at me. She hates me."
"Have you tried apologizing and talking things through with her?"
"She wouldn't even give me a chance. She despises me so much, she won't let me near the boy."

"You can't blame her. If I were in her shoes,I will probably do the same. You hurt her real bad. To think you left her when she needed you most. I know someone who happens to have shared the same plight of the lady in question. So I can tell what she's feeling. She is threatened by your presence."
"Threatened? But I'll never hurt her or our son." Henry was dismayed. Why would she ever  think such?
"You can't just expect her to forgive you and let you back into their lives. But I can tell you what you can do. Pray. Pray that God forgives you and help her to forgive you. Also,don't hurt yourself with guilt. Remember,he that is in Christ is a new creature. Old things are passed away and behold all things have become new. You need to forgive yourself and give her time to heal."
After their discussion, Henry greeted the pastor's wife and had dinner with them. He found himself envying the the couple and wishing for what they shared. After dinner, Pastor Jeremy escorted Henry to his car. After Henry got in, the pastor reached behind him and brought out a handbill.
"Here give this to her. Invite her for this programme of ours . I would like to meet her."
"Thanks. For everything. I'll see you tomorrow,second service." Henry replied collecting the paper and drove away.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

794K 43.5K 58
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
473K 37.7K 18
Indian Chronicles Book III My Husband, My Tyrant. When Peace Becomes Suffocation. Jahnvi Khanna has everything in her life, a supporting family, a hi...
2.1M 125K 44
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
3.7M 158K 62
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...