Shameless

By TeresaMummert

*Exclusive sneak peek of my novel SHAMELESS.* Every student at Shame U has their secrets, and Henley Brooks... More

CHAPTER 1: HENLEY
CHAPTER 2: LUCAS
CHAPTER 4: LUCAS
CHAPTER 5: HENLEY
CHAPTER 6: LUCAS
CHAPTER 7: HENLEY
CHAPTER 8: LUCAS
CHAPTER 9: HENLEY
Chapter 10: LUCAS
Chapter 11: HENLEY
Chapter 12: LUCAS
Chapter 13: HENLEY
Chapter 14: LUCAS
Chapter 15: HENLEY
Chapter 16: LUCAS
Chapter 17: HENLEY
Chapter 18: LUCAS
Chapter 19: HENLEY
Chapter 20: LUCAS
Chapter 21: HENLEY

CHAPTER 3: HENLEY

109 7 1
By TeresaMummert

I had found my way to the center of the dance floor, stumbling over my own feet as I shook my hips to the thudding beat. It was amazing how my fingers could produce music so effortlessly, but my body failed to cooperate when it came to staying in time.

"This is so much fun," Gigi screamed, and I couldn't hold back my giggling.

"It's not so bad." I shrugged, trying to move my hips to the rhythm. I am sure I looked like I was having some sort of seizure next to Gigi, but thanks to the alcohol coursing through my veins I didn't care. I spun around, putting my back against her as we moved our bodies together. I glanced over at the bar and my eyes locked on to Lucas. I bit my lip tucking my hair behind my ear as I struggled to look seductive. He grinned back at me, oblivious to the girl that was whispering in his ear and rubbing her hand across his muscular chest.

Suddenly, the wind escaped my lungs as I was shoved forcefully across the floor. Two guys had begun arguing, and the one pushed the other, sending him flying directly into me. My drink spilled over the front of my shirt, completely soaking me and sobering me up instantaneously. "What the hell," I yelled, my vernacular becoming more like Gigi's the inebriated I became.

"You ruined my new sneakers, you bitch," he spat back angrily, towering over me.

"Holy shit, Henley! Are you okay?" Gigi asked as the larger of the men who'd come in with Lucas rammed into another, sending him falling backward into someone else. All hell broke loose.

Out of nowhere, Lucas was on the other side of me. He grabbed the man who'd ran into me by his collar. Holding him back at arm's length, he swung full force. His inked fist collided with the guy's jaw, sending him falling to the dance floor with a busted and bloodied lip that matched his newly bruised ego. "Now you got blood on your trainers."

Others around us joined in, and the room was suddenly chaos, fists flying without caring where they connected.

"Let's go," Gigi yelled, grabbing my arm and pulling me out of the way. The crowd was pushing all around us. Some were trying to escape while others wanted a better view of the fight. Gigi's hand lost its grip, and soon several people stood between us and I began to panic.

"Gigi," I called over the music and the screaming of the crowd. Lucas glanced back at me, and I stared at him, unable to move for fear of being hit by someone else.

The front doors pushed open, allowing the street light to flood the darkened room and over the music I could hear the faint sound of sirens wailing in the distance. The crowd rushed the doors, and I put up my arms, worried that I was going to be trampled.

"Gigi," I screamed again as the crowd moved her further and further from me. The guy she had been hanging out with all night pulled her toward the exit, as I stood frozen.

"Let's go," Lucas commanded, as he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me toward the back of the bar, away from the main exit. I searched the crowd, but Gigi was being ushered out of the front of the building. We pushed through a door labeled employees only. After we had snaked through a small corridor, we were outside where the night air now felt cool, and I struggled to steady my breathing.

Lucas nodded to the two guys he had come in with who sat in a small black SUV. The back door flew open, and I panicked, not sure if I was being saved or kidnapped. I pulled back from him in hesitation remembering Gigi's warning to avoid him. He looked down at me, his face twisted in confusion then changed to what seemed to be amusement.

"Come on. We gotta go," he warned, pulling me toward the car with a smirk. I dug my teeth into my lower lip and reluctantly slid into the backseat as more people filed out of the bar and ran in every direction. Lucas slid in beside me and tapped the seat in front of him that was occupied by the larger of his friends. "Go, Beef."

"Did you just call him Beef?" I asked as I clutched my bag a little tighter.

Lucas glanced sideways at me, his lips twisted up in amusement. "His names Coby Savage, like Kobe beef?"

"Yeah, no. I get it," I replied, shaking my head at the absurdity of our conversation.

The car took off in the darkness with no headlights on to guide the way until we put a few blocks distance between us and the bar. I grabbed at my seatbelt, but I panicked, pulling it too hard, causing it to lock in place. "I'm going to kill Gigi if I die tonight. This is what I get for going out when I should have been in my room binge watching television and catching up on my work."

"Do you always prattle on about nothing when you're nervous?" he asked, a mischievous grin spreading across his face as he struggled not to laugh when I became increasingly flustered.

"Um... yes, I do, actually. My mom said I used to talk nonstop –"

He placed his finger on my lips, silencing me and causing my eyes to widen at the sudden contact. "You're safe," he whispered as he reached across me and tugged gently on the strap, clicking it into place. His close proximity made my already racing heart thud violently against my rib cage as if trying to break free. Suddenly, I wanted nothing more than to escape as well, the confines of the small space making it impossible to breathe.

His friends continued to talk animatedly about the fight as we made our way toward campus, but the motion of the car mixed with the various alcoholic beverages was turning my stomach.

"Pull over," I said, but my voice barely came out. "Pull over," I shouted a little louder. The laughter dulled down as the driver Lucas had called Coby met my gaze in the rearview mirror, and the vehicle pulled off to the side of the road. "I can find my way from here," I said, trying not to sound ungrateful but had I been sober, I would have never gotten into the car with a bunch of random hoodlums. My mother's warnings about letting someone take you to a second location played over in my head. I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door. The night air was refreshing, and I instantly felt better with my feet on solid ground.

"Wait," Lucas called after me and opened his door. He jogged over to me, and I took a step back, not sure what his intentions were. He laughed, but I got the feeling it was at himself. Someone who'd spent as much time and money covering themselves in tattoos had to have known they didn't exactly make him appear friendly. "Go ahead, guys. I'll catch up with you later," he said to the driver, nodding his head. The car took off into the darkness, leaving me standing, alone, with Lucas.

"It's not safe to be out here walking alone. You never know what type of blokes you could run into."

"You mean guys like you who start fights in bars... and dorms?" I looked him over. "No offense, but I don't know you."

"That's right, you don't, but that hasn't stopped you from making judgments." His eyebrow rose. "We rode the lift together, remember? I'd say that at least makes us acquaintances. What's your name?" he asked, a boyish grin creeping across his face that threatened to make my knees buckle.

I hesitated, unsure if I should give him that information and momentarily forgetting exactly what my name was. "Henley Brooks... and I have pepper spray in my bag," I murmured, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Duly noted, Henley Brooks. My name's Lucas."

"I know," I replied, regretting the words as soon as they left my mouth. His grin grew larger as he ran his fingers through his dark hair.

"My reputation precedes me. No wonder you look so scared."

"I should be getting back."

"Decker Hall, right? I'll walk you home. You can never be too safe." He winked and my stomach fluttered.

"I can manage. Thanks for the ride." I turned away from him and began to walk down the alley, not sure where I was, but I kept moving. He was everything I was warned about when my mom sent me off to college. Lucas jogged up next to me, grabbing my arm. I held my breath, afraid of what he was going to do. He released me when he saw my expression, taking a step back.

"I was just going to show you a shortcut, love," he explained, gesturing to the houses beside us. I nodded and reluctantly stepped forward. He grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him, the sudden contact causing every nerve ending in my body to begin rapid firing in succession. Something told me the move was deliberate, a way of gaining trust from someone who was reluctant to give it to him. But something also told me I'd spend too much time with my nose buried in books and not everyone in the real world had an ulterior motive.

"You're different from the other girls at the bar," he said offhandedly, and I recoiled, feeling like he was making fun of me. He pulled my hand back closer to him as we walked through the next row of houses.

"I didn't mean it like that." He ran his free hand through his messy hair again causing it to stick up haphazardly. "Most girls at that bar don't try so desperately to get away from me." His eyes flashed to mine, and I felt my cheeks burn pink. I looked to the ground struggling to find something to say to him, but the alcohol had caused my brain to fog. "And they would have assumed I was complimenting them."

"I'm immune to bullshit," I shot back, rolling my eyes. He laughed, and I couldn't help but smile at him. "I know your type."

"Oh, yeah? What type is that?"

"You're all impulse and no consequences. Do you even think about how your actions make other people feel?"

"Like that wanker I hit? I'm pretty sure he felt pain."

"And the girls you use and throw away?"

"Pleasure. Definitely pleasure." He fought against a smirk.

"Ugh. You're shameless," I scoffed. I looked up to see my dorm across the parking lot, and he stopped to face me.

"You think you have me all figured out."

"You don't exactly try to hide who you are."

"You're just going to judge me and walk away without giving me a chance to defend myself?"

"I've seen how you defend yourself."

"Bullocks. I was defending you, remember?" His eyes narrowed, and I felt my stomach twist with guilt.

"I'm not your responsibility." I pulled my hand from his and began walking toward the building.

"This how you say thank you for me saving your arse?"

My eyes narrowed as I turned around and I took a step back closer to him, worried someone would hear our interaction. "Let's get one thing straight, I don't know how you do things across the pond or whatever, but I don't need some human coloring book swooping in to save me."

"Are you taking the piss out of me?" His eyebrows pulled together, but he was clearly amused.

I scoffed, taking a step back. "I meant that it may not look like it, but I can handle my own."

He shook his head, letting out a deep laugh. "You can handle your own arse. Got it."

"You know that's not what I was saying." I shook my head as I felt my cheeks heating.

"Well, I may not look like it, love, but I'm actually a decent guy if you give me a chance."

"I'll have to take your word for it." I squared my shoulders before turning back around and walking a few steps in the direction of my dorm.

"Or you could get to know me," he called after me, and I glanced back over my shoulder. "Unless you're scared."

"I'm not scared of you," I snapped.

"You up for going down the pub? Give me a chance to redeem myself? I wasn't really ready to go home, and you never got to finish your last drink." He stared at me expectantly, and I got the feeling he'd never really had to try to get female attention.

"I should really get some sleep," I said, shaking my head.

"Yeah. I get it. It was nice meeting you, Henley." He smiled, shoving his hands deep into his jeans pockets. "Cheers."

"Get what?" I asked, annoyed that he kept twisting my words and making it seem like I was a jerk.

"You don't want to be seen with me." He looked down to the ground, kicking around some stones. It was crazy how someone who looked so tough suddenly looked so dejected.

"If you want... maybe we can get just one drink or something?" He had just defended my honor in front of a crowd of people. The least I could do was buy him a drink.

"Where to, party animal?" A broad smile spread across his face, and I realized he was just playing me, and I walked right into it.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at his jab as we walked across the parking lot. Pulling out my phone, I sent Gigi a quick message letting her know I was alright and her reply telling me the same was almost immediate.

"So, you don't live on campus?" I asked, trying to make small talk.

"No, my mates and I rent a flat down on Sicily Street," he explained.

"What were you doing in my dorm this morning then?"

Now it was his face that was turning red, and I shook my head, silently cursing myself.

"Nevermind," I muttered, not wanting to hear about who he had slept with the night before.

"I was... visiting a friend."

"You have a lot of friends?" I asked as he shook his head. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was embarrassed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 122K 68
🥇 Highest Rankings: #1 Action #1 Chicklit #1 Mystery #1 Teen Fiction #1 Thriller 2018 Watty's Long List 🥀 Trigger Warning/Sexual Assault ⚠️Mature...
28.9M 710K 66
The good girl falls for the bad boy. But what if there is more to Sin Carter than a bad attitude, tattoos and piercings? And what if there is more to...
4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...
33.6K 3.1K 23
"Why are you ignoring me?" "Ahh---Lucas I don't know. Whenever I have tried to trust someone I have been betrayed. Even my so-called friends have hur...