The Dark Times Will Pass - B...

By NightElflady

** 1ST PLACE WINNER in THE ANGEL AWARDS 2017, FANFICTION CATEGORY** Illidan picked Sarah up, cradling her to... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Cast
PROLOGUE - GPWRRL
1. HOME FROM HOME
2. OLD FRIENDS
3. SANCTUARY
4. HAUNTED HEART
5. LOVE OR HATE
6. RESILIENCE
7. EMBRACING THE LIGHT
8. CHOICES
9. SHATTRATH
10. NAARU
11. WE ARE PREPARED
12. FOR AZEROTH!
13. PROPHECY
14. THE CRUSADE BEGINS
15. PIOUS MEN IN IVORY TOWERS
16. ENTRY TO THE VAULT
17. RESCUE
18. THE TWISTING NETHER
20. THE RECKONING
21. A SMALL REPRIEVE
22. BROTHERS IN ARMS
23. RISE OF THE TITANS
24. FAREWELLS
EPILOGUE

19. REBORN

564 35 65
By NightElflady

                                                               Dedicated to Senlean - thank you

Music:- Heart of Courage composed by Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps From Hell, Invincible

"Brace yourselves," Khadgar warned, as he started to conjure a defensive spell. "Gul'dan is close by."

The demon hunters took up position in front of the Archmage and defenders. Ocel, Drew and Erik remained close to where Khadgar stood.

From the doors of The Seat of Command, demons started to pour out towards the waiting army. Kayn signalled his Illidari, and in waves they swooped down to battle.

Khadgar glanced towards Sarah. His eyes locked with hers. His heart skipped a beat. There was something in her eyes that conveyed a deep sorrow. A finality. His spell started to diminish. She turned and ran to the altar where the naaru hovered over the encased body of Illidan Stormrage.

"Khadgar! Some help please!" Ocel shouted as the defenders were now pressing forward. The Archmage hesitated a moment longer, then tearing his eyes from Sarah, he continued with forming his spell. He released the ball of frost at the approaching onslaught, splitting their advance like skittles in a bowling alley. The Illidari drove in to cut the disorientated demons down.

"Focus on the ones coming over the ridge," Ocel shouted to Khadgar, "we have these ones now." The paladin swung back towards the doorway of the Seat.

Khadgar nodded and turned to assist the allies to the south. Ocel called the charge for the allies advance as the doorway flooded with multitudinous felguards, doomguards, imps, succubus and felhounds. Ocel charged, swinging his mace with calculated accuracy and devastation. Such was his focus that he did not notice the orc standing just inside the doorway of the Seat of Command.

Gul'dan waited. The defenders and Illidari were progressing nearer to his location, the moment was almost upon him. His red eyes paid particular attention to the draenei leading the assault.

A sudden barrage of arrows impaled some of the demons which had kept him obscured from the attackers' sight. Two more of the projectiles whistling harmlessly past his head. The orc's eyes flitted to the direction they had come from. A dwarf hunter to the left of his location was poised, ready to fire again as he sent in his wolf to rip and tear the flesh of the terrorguards he had just injured. As the bodies of the hulking beasts fell, they revealed the orc standing, waiting behind them.

Ocel looked up just in time to see him as the orc's gnarled hands thrust out towards the oncoming allies. Green and azure channels erupted from the warlock's fingers and he began to suck the life force from the front line of defenders. Illidari, night elves, worgens, humans and draenei all started to crumple and fall under the orc's spell. Gul'dan's deep guttural laughter built as he watched the front line of defence weaken and fold under his power. The mighty paladin among them.

Ocel tried to forge forward towards his attacker, even as he witnessed his own essence leaving his body. He roared as his skin cracked, dried, and started to flake. The added weight of his plate armour was also pulling him down as his body weakened under the draining spell. The draenei was impressive, persistent. Still he drove forward but his wielding of the mace was now erratic, his ability failing as was his health. Gul'dan's eyes flared, and twisting his hands he increased his thaumaturgy, its intensity causing the draenei to roar in pain. The paladin was nearly on his knees.

Erik on the flanks of the advance shouted warnings to the fighters who were at the edge of the leech. They looked towards their falling comrades and instantly pressed forward in a desperate attempt to stop Gul'dan.

Drew, hearing Erik ran to join in the attack, but Erik called out to Khadgar who had been blasting the demons that still approached over the rise. The Archmage looked round at the sound of Erik's voice and quickly teleported him and Drew away from the entrance of the Seat to the safety of his side.

It was then he noticed the fighters at the entrance dying; including his lifelong friend and confidant, Ocel. The paladin stumbled and landed on his knees. His blue skin shrunken, dried and now grey. Khadgar tried to form a shield but the last of his friend's life source was now ebbing from his body at an accelerated rate. The last remaining light left Ocel's eyes and he slumped forward, a mere husk of the giant man he once was.

"No!" A roar of defiance and pain left the Archmage's lips and he started to conjure a ball of energy, arcane, frost and fire to avenge the death of his friend.

"Khadgar, open the portal to Suramar now." The dulcet tones of the naaru invaded his mind. He shook it aside, still focusing on his spell. His pain turned to anger as he saw Gul'dan laughing.

The orc's red eyes scanned the vast decimation of the allied forces. Lambs to the slaughter.

"Khadgar! Open the portal, or all is lost." The naaru's voice was authoritative making it crystal clear any personal loss was to be faced once the fight was over.

From the ridge, warlocks and mages ran forward firing destructive spells at Gul'dan, leaving Khadgar to focus on opening the portal. Fighting the racking sobs in his chest he did as was ordered by the naaru.

Erik and Drew stared in disbelief at the fallen body of Vindicator Ocel; both deeply affected by his loss and that of the vast numbers around him which the warlock had slaughtered. They looked up and saw Gul'dan being forced out from his hiding place by the incessant spells of the ally mages and warlocks. Gul'dan moved out - towards Sarah and the still encased body of Illidan. The outpouring of demons from the Seat of Command did not abate. They followed their leader as he shuffled towards the altar.

Drew noticed Sarah on her knees, arms outstretched as the naaru's radiance dimmed. He was overcome by a sense of dread and started towards the altar, Erik following quickly behind.

The portal to Suramar was open, and Khadgar's tear-filled eyes followed the pair as they moved up the hill. At that moment, a flash of bright irridescent green, lit the entire mountainside and a deafening explosion followed. The sound of shattering crystal detonated from the altar, peppering the air with the clink and tinkle of millions of shards hitting hard rock.

Drew and Erik were brutally thrown to the ground. Khadgar instinctively crouched shielding his head from the blast. Some of the demons had also taken the blow and lay stunned. Others, were momentarily disorientated but continued up the incline nevertheless.

The Archmage kept low until he reached Drew and Erik then pulled them towards a crop of boulders. The priests and defenders who had protected the crystal during the naaru's ritual had also been knocked back, but thanks to protective shields were relatively unhurt and suffered only from a few cuts and grazes.

Music: No Sacrifice, No Victory composed by Steve Jablonsky from the film Transformers  

All eyes watched in silent awe as an imposing figure emerged from where the felblood crystal had been suspended. Standing an impressive seven and a half feet tall, the demonised Illidan Stormrage surveyed the slaughter around him. His long ebony hair, in its high bound pony tail floated out behind him as he gauged where all allies of Azeroth were positioned and also his remaining Illidari. His purple skin was slick with beads of moisture and the green tattoos glowed and pulsated. He was muscular, powerful and utterly terrifying to behold. The twin blades of Azzinoth, his trusted warglaives etched with runic patterns, were balanced easily in his taloned hands and ready for battle. Their deadly keenness glinted menacingly.

The forces still fighting with the demons to the south had also witnessed the blast and had found new vigour at the emergence of the enormous demon hunter near the entrance to The Seat.

"Illidari and defenders of Azeroth, to me! Now!" Illidan's voice boomed over the entire mountainous expanse. The allies moved en masse towards the altar, demons from the ridge following still trying to slaughter their enemies.

"Where is Sarah?" Khadgar asked Drew, grabbing his arm roughly.

"She was in front of the crystal before it ... exploded." Drew's voice quivered and his eyes turned to where he had last seen his best friend. "I can't see her now, but the dust hasn't settled, Khadgar. She must still be there!" His voice did not convey confidence in his words.

Khadgar strained his eyes to where she had been last seen, but as Drew had rightly said, the area was still swirling in dust and crystallised powder from the explosion. He thought he caught a glimpse of her but then Illidan stepped forward again and the swirls rose once more, concealing her from view.

Illidan caught the movement of demons to his right, in particular one who seemed to have command of those around him. The others following the allies had slowed on reaching the crooked one. The warlock's body was initially a mere flickering shape in reds and greens before Illidan's spectral sight finally stabilised. He then saw the features of the orc more clearly.

Gul'dan spoke. "Lord Illidan," he said, his voice low and guttural. "How fortuitous you have arrived at this moment." The demon hunter did not answer. He merely watched as the orc took a step forward, aiding his movements with his staff. "The Legion has awaited your return. Sargeras will be pleased." The red eyes darkened under the edging of his hood.

"Oh, will he?" Illidan replied, a distinct note of mockery in his voice.

Arcaena and Kayn arrived by Illidan's side. "This is the creature who slaughtered our people and that of the allies," Kayn said.

"Indeed," Illidan acknowledged. "The one they call Gul'dan." His eyes trained on the orc again. "Your name is spoken even in the Twisting Nether."

The orc warlock was momentarily taken aback. "You know of me then, Lord Illidan." Gul'dan made a low bow, but his intention was not to appease. A fel flame started to develop in his hand.

Illidan turned to his lieutenants, pausing for a moment as he looked at Arcaena. His mouth smiled and a small sound omitted from his lips. He then ordered the Illidari to protect the allies.

Gul'dan brought forward his hand with the ball of fel flame, but before he could do anything else, Illidan had gripped him by the throat. The demon hunter's taloned hand bit deep into the flesh of the crippled orc. He lifted him level with his rune cloth covered sockets. Gul'dan kicked out as he looked at the sneer twisting Illidan's mouth. The fel flame started to flicker and fade the more he struggled.

Illidan tilted his head, studying the orc. "I could send you shuffling back to your master, orc, so to warn him that I am coming, but..."

Gul'dan guffawed, it's sound more of a gurgle due to the pressure on his throat. Nonetheless, he retorted. "I have no master, Betrayer! " Gul'dan wheezed as his air passage was constricted.

"Good! Then you will not be missed – orc!" Illidan's grip forced the squirming cripple to gasp and gag before he released him from his hold, dropping him like a ragdoll to the cold stone surface. The demon hunter's fel infused sockets grew brighter, a naaru sigil burned on his forehead, and his wings unfurled lifting him above the warlock and his demonic army. Incinerating beams burst forth from the demon hunter's sockets and instantly consumed the orc. The sickening cries of the crippled creature were mingled with the roaring sound of the pyrolytic beams which the demon hunter unleashed. Gradually the orc's screams faded as he suffered an agonising death. Illidan rose higher. His entire body started to glow, pulsate, the tattoos changing from green to gold.

The allied forces and the Illidari watched in awe as beams of bright light discharged from his fingertips, mouth, markings and sockets then he turned it all on the Legion's minions which remained on the mountain side. Even the demonic stragglers within the entrance of the Seat of Command could not escape his judgement. Every demon combusted, their ear-shattering death cries reaching out to all present.

It happened within seconds, although it seemed to have taken an age. The Azerothians were left trembling, such power having never been witnessed before. Equally, they were elated by the demon hunter's defeat of the demonic forces of the Burning Legion.

Illidan Stormrage landed back on the altar, his form once more the familiar purple skin and green markings. His wings still fully extended, he knelt. The dust created from his demolished felblood prison had finally settled. Before him on the ground, lay the body of the mortal who had brought him back from the Twisting Nether.

Khadgar rose slowly from where he had crouched with the others, his eyes locked on Sarah's still body. "No!" his voice was but a whisper. He approached the altar, stumbling as he went, Arcaena and Kayn opening the way allowing him passage. He halted before reaching the base of the stone slab, and dropped to his knees, his breathing laboured as his eyes desperately searched for signs of life.

Illidan glanced up at the silver-haired figure, then back at the body before him. "This mortal," he said. "You knew her well?" He studied the man in front of him again.

Khadgar, unable to find words, simply nodded his head. His world had suddenly crashed around him.

Illidan grunted then picked Sarah up, cradling her to his chest. To all assembled he spoke, "We go to Suramar, there we will bring an end to the Legion and its disciples." Glancing down at the body of the young woman in his arms he said, "You are mine now, outsider." He rose into the air and headed to the portal, his Illidari following closely. Only Arcaena remained behind.

Khadgar buried his face in his hands, his shoulders racked by sobs. He was joined by Erik and Drew, both shedding tears at the costly outcome of Illidan's rebirth. They hugged each other, sobbing form their comradeship and shared grief.

The demon hunter stood behind them. Softly she spoke. "Come, we must go to Suramar. Let not Sarah's efforts have been in vain. We must all stand together, now more than ever."

The three bodies only clung together, lost within their grief. They remained so for some considerable time, their tears never seeming to ease.

Kayn appeared back through the portal and glided to where they had remained, still in front of the altar. Arcaena and he acknowledged each other in a silent understanding.

Kayn spoke. "Khadgar, come. Lord Illidan knows the way."

 All comments, advice and suggestions are welcome. Should you like this chapter, please be kind enough to vote, it would be most appreciated. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57 13 6
A captivating story about Azeroth told in the eyes of a young Night elf by the name of Sylvia Felwalker. Though the times of the Legion she never th...
6.4K 945 22
[COMPLETE] A rambly angel. A debonair demon. A very stuck elevator... NIRAEL has never been the best angel. A little too loud, always in the wrong pl...
16.8K 369 8
Sadly, I really don't have the motivation to continue this story any longer. I know a lot of you have been wanting to read more of it, and I sincerel...
4.1K 410 71
Beneath broken stone and warped metal, a solitary raven panics as it senses imminent danger. It escapes certain death mere seconds before the structu...