The Draykon Series (1-3)

By CharlotteEnglish

A sweeping epic fantasy series full of mystery and adventure, rare jewels and mythical creatures. Ancient le... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Draykon: Epilogue
Lokant: Chapter One
Lokant: Chapter Two
Lokant: Chapter Three
Lokant: Chapter Four
Lokant: Chapter Five
Lokant: Chapter Six
Lokant: Chapter Seven
Lokant: Chapter Eight
Lokant: Chapter Nine
Lokant: Chapter Ten
Lokant: Chapter Eleven
Lokant: Chapter Twelve
Lokant: Chapter Thirteen
Lokant: Chapter Fourteen
Lokant: Chapter Fifteen
Lokant: Chapter Sixteen
Lokant: Chapter Seventeen
Lokant: Chapter Eighteen
Lokant: Chapter Nineteen
Lokant: Chapter Twenty
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-One
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Thirty
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-One
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Forty
Lokant: Chapter Forty-One
Orlind: Chapter One
Orlind: Chapter Two
Orlind: Chapter Three
Orlind: Chapter Four
Orlind: Chapter Five
Orlind: Chapter Six
Orlind: Chapter Seven
Orlind: Chapter Eight
Orlind: Chapter Nine
Orlind: Chapter Ten
Orlind: Chapter Eleven
Orlind: Chapter Twelve
Orlind: Chapter Thirteen
Orlind: Chapter Fourteen
Orlind: Chapter Fifteen
Orlind: Chapter Sixteen
Orlind: Chapter Seventeen
Orlind: Chapter Eighteen
Orlind: Chapter Nineteen
Orlind: Chapter Twenty
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-One
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Two
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Four
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Five
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Six
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Orlind: Chapter Thirty
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-One
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Five

51.5K 531 7
By CharlotteEnglish

   The letterbox rattled loudly as letters began to tumble into Llandry's hallway. The sound was intrusive, a metallic clatter that frayed her nerves as she tried to work. She braced herself, knowing that the disturbance would take some time. She was receiving more and more mail every day, ever since the Market. Orders for jewellery came in so fast she couldn't fill them all. She hated having to raise prices - it made her feel greedy - but it was the only way to reduce the clamour. Even so, she was working at a ferocious speed day and night trying to keep up. The craze for her jewellery was completely astonishing, but she knew it wouldn't last.

   The letters that bothered her more were the solicitations from other jewellers, enquiring after her supply. She'd considered writing back with the full details, until she recalled Lady Glostrum's advice. Her mother's friend was perfectly right: a true businesswoman knew better than to give away the source of her success. She'd refused the requests - politely, of course - though more recently she'd taken to ignoring them. It seemed as though every jeweller in the Seven Realms was petitioning her for information.

   The letterbox shrieked again, loudly, as something large was forced through it. The sound shattered her concentration and she quickly placed down her tools before she could damage the ring she was working on. She padded through to her tiny hallway, Sigwide at her heels. If she answered the door she could accept all the mail in one go and silence that abominable racket. Stepping over the small mountain of paper on the floor, she unlocked the door and opened it.

   A young man stood on the ledge, struggling with a sack of mail. His arms were full of envelopes, some of which threatened to spill over and sail away to the floor far below. She stepped forward, extending her arms.

   'I'm so sorry. Let me take those.'

   The boy looked harassed. He muttered a thanks as she relieved him of his burden, then glanced around nervously.

   'I wouldn't hang about, miss. Get back inside, quick.'

   She lifted her brows. 'Why?'

   'Um, because-'

   'Miss Sanfaer!' A woman's voice broke in as a slight figure swooped down from the skies, landing so swiftly that she almost knocked the mail boy off the ledge. She held up an image-capture and light flashed in Llandry's astonished face. 'Miss Sanfaer, I'm from the Herald here in Waeverleyne. Our readers are anxious to hear more about your remarkable jewellery. What can you tell us about the istore?'

   Llandry was too amazed to speak. She stared as more figures appeared behind the reporter, many carrying image-captures and notepads. They hovered in the air around Llandry's front door, and more flashes of light assaulted her eyes. More figures appeared on the staircase below, wingless men and women from the other Dayland realms and even one brave (or desperate) man from Glour, his nocturnal eyes completely enclosed inside black-lensed goggles. 

   Stunned, Llandry felt panic racing through her as this swarm of people converged upon her. The mail boy saved her, shoving her gracelessly back into her house and slamming the door behind her. The stacks of mail fell from Llandry's numb arms as she fumbled with the key.

   A knocking sounded at one of the windows. She darted through her house, breathless and shaking, slamming each window shut and barring the shutters. Only when each possible entry into her house was firmly closed did she slow down. She slumped to the floor, fighting with herself for every breath of air. She felt ready to asphyxiate. Stumbling through to her kitchen, she found her cordial and took a long swallow, her hands trembling so badly she almost dropped the bottle.

   It took her an hour to calm down, an hour that she spent curled up on her kitchen floor with Sigwide in her arms. The orting was alarmed, too; her latent summoner senses caught his fear, but she was too thoroughly disturbed herself to do more than hold him close and wait until they both felt soothed. At length her breathing eased and she felt stable enough to brew tea without shattering her teapot and cups. She rose to her feet a little shakily, tucking Sigwide into the carry sling she always wore around her waist. He would be happier kept close.

   The letters were more of the same. She perused a selection of them as she sipped her tea, choosing several at random. There were forty letters today, half of them containing orders for jewellery together with money in several currencies. Many of them had vastly overpaid her, even though her prices were already (so it seemed to her) extremely high. She laid a cool hand against her hot forehead, her thoughts buzzing. She had fifteen orders already outstanding, so that made thirty-five, and she had only enough istore left to fill approximately ten of them. But with that swarm of bodies outside her house, how could she possibly reach her cave without being accosted, questioned, petitioned, detained, or possibly worse?

   She thought briefly about giving the whole thing up. It was a tempting thought, but would it bring the desired results? Would the letters stop coming? Would the pushy petitioners stop crowding her doorway? Doubtful. It was too late for that.

   Besides, if she was honest with herself, the prospect of giving up her istore was painful. No matter how much trouble it brought her, she still felt soothed when she held a nugget of that stone in her hands. Wearing it made her feel stronger in some way, calmer, more in control of herself. She lost some of that feeling of dislocation, that sense she always carried of being out of place and out of sync with the rest of the world. Spending her days working with it, running it through her fingers, polishing its beauty and setting it into a succession of equally beauteous items made her satisfied, proud, happy. She couldn't imagine just abandoning it.

***

   Her supply of raw gems ran out three days later, but the crush of bodies outside her house had not diminished. She'd stopped going anywhere near the door, not even to collect the mail that continued to pour through her letterbox. Every time she approached the front of her house she could hear them talking, sometimes shouting, banging on her door. She stayed near the back of the house.

   But now she had ten completed items to mail, twenty-five more to make (not counting those orders that were probably lying, unopened, in her hallway) and no more istore. She would have to find a way to leave her house undetected.

   She waited until the late hours of the Eventide, a time when most people across the city of Waeverleyne were asleep (usually including herself). Creeping to the front of her house, she found that everything was blissfully quiet. She packed her tools and her packages in a pack slung low on her back beneath her wings. Then, eschewing her front door, she slipped out of her kitchen window and climbed onto the roof.

   Waeverleyne lay in the soft, low eventide light that was artificially created by Glinnery's sorcerers. That meant it was night time beyond the Dayland enchantments, a time when Daylanders were not usually roaming abroad. On the other hand, the muted light was more favourable for the Darklanders. She would still have to be careful. She took to the skies, angling up and up until she was flying just beneath the vast, spreading caps of Glinnery's signature glissenwol trees. She reached the nearest mail station without encountering anybody, and slid her collection of small packages into the secure box one by one. Then she was away once more, aiming this time for the outskirts of Glinnery and her cave in the ground. Nothing reached her eyes or ears save the usual soft sounds of eventide, and she finally began to relax.

   Then three figures appeared in the air before her, cutting her off. She stopped, startled. Her wings beat slowly, holding her aloft as she studied the three. Two men and a woman, all clearly citizens of Glinnery, though the features and clothing of one suggested some Nimdren blood. They smiled pleasantly enough at her, but their intention to detain her was clear. She said nothing, waiting. The woman spoke first.

   'I sent you a letter.'

   'So did I.' That was the Nimdren.

   'You never answered.'

   'So we thought we'd ask you in person.'

   The third man approached, looking her over. His eyes lingered on the belt at her waist, the bag hanging from her shoulders. 'On your way there now, are you? They said you only come out of your house for more istore. That's true, isn't it? We've been waiting for days.' He spoke lightly, trying to smile, but there was an intensity about him that unnerved Llandry. She shook her head, mute.

   'We're going with you. That's probably easier for everyone, isn't it? No doubt you're too busy to write letters.'

   Llandry shook her head again, searching futilely for her voice. The man frowned, and all three fluttered closer to her.

  'We understand you want to keep it for yourself. Who wouldn't? But don't you think that's selfish? We do.'

   She angled her wings, retreating a little further backwards with each slow beat. They followed her, inexorable.

   'All right, you're not going there now. That's fine. Why don't you just tell us where to find it?'

Llandry blinked, one word circling around her mind. 'Selfish?'

   'That's right. Don't you want anyone else to benefit from it?'

   Guilt worked at her, eroding her certainty. Maybe they were right. Should she have ignored the letters? Was she behaving like a good businesswoman, or was she being greedy?

   She opened her mouth, intending to tell them everything. Perhaps they sensed her weakening, for all three of them descended on her, circling her eagerly. Their proximity, their urgency, silenced her again and all she could think about was escape.

   She dropped, flying hard. She heard them behind her, calling out to her as she wove through the tree trunks, trying futilely to lose them. They dogged her all the way to the balcony of her home. The doors were locked and barred from the inside, she remembered with chagrin. She darted around the building, threw herself back through her kitchen window and slammed it closed. Knocking came from different parts of her house in succession, signalling that her pursuers were seeking a way in. She stood frozen, gasping for breath, terrified. What did they mean to do if they did get in? There had been an air of desperation about them, as though they strove to act rationally but something spurred them relentlessly on. What was it about her pretty istore stone that created such fervour?

***

   Exhausted from her eventide activities, Llandry slept late the next morning. She rose to find her parents seated in her living room, though the atmosphere was strained. Her mother looked up as Llandry entered. She was unusually pale, her face drawn and her eyes hard.

   'Ma, Pa...' Llandry stopped in the doorway, unwilling to approach her livid parents. 'How did you get in?'

   'You mean past the hordes of intruders swarming around your house?' said Ynara icily. 'I sent them away, of course. I could have done so earlier, had it occurred to you to contact us.'

   Llandry winced. Her mother only spoke so formally when she was truly angry. 'I'm sorry, Ma. I didn't want to worry you.' She felt suddenly silly. It certainly hadn't occurred to her that her mother might be able to get rid of them.

   Ynara snorted. 'Did it occur to you that you might be in danger of worse than having your picture taken?'

   'They were just reporters, Ma.' Llandry risked a glance at her father. His face was closed, unreadable.

   'You're sure of that, are you?' Ynara slammed her book down onto the table and stood, advancing on Llandry. 'Yesterday I received a note from Eva Glostrum. You remember her from the Market, I'm sure. She tells me her istore ring was stolen. It was sent to a jeweller's, apparently, for some small adjustment, and lifted overnight. Just that ring.' Ynara lifted her brows and gave Llandry that stare, the one that expressed her extreme disappointment. It never failed to reduce Llandry to a miserable bundle of apologies.

   'Furthermore,' continued Ynara, 'My jewel box is missing. Naturally my beautiful istore bracelet is missing with it. What that means, I'm sure you'll gather, is that somebody has entered our house in the last couple of days and walked off with my jewellery. Nothing else, you understand. Only the jewellery. The implications of that are obvious enough. We came at once.' Llandry squirmed under her relentless stare. 'I don't know how you've avoided a break-in here, Llan, but remarkably you seem to be in one piece.'

   The use of her nickname suggested her mother was beginning to relent. Llandry drew in a breath, her eyes blurring. Ynara was rarely angry, but she was truly terrifying when her ire was properly aroused.

   'I'm sorry, Mamma,' she managed around the lump in her throat. 'I'm okay, really.'

   'Nice job with the barricades,' Aysun put in. She smiled lopsidedly, glancing at the furniture she'd piled against the large window when she'd returned last eve.

   'Thanks, Pa.'

   Ynara sighed and embraced her. Llandry clung to her, weak with relief.

   'Nobody's hurt you, have they?' her mother asked, fiercely. Llandry shook her head.

   'Fine, well. Your “friends” are in custody overnight. They'll be released tomorrow. They'll be facing prosecution if they bother you again. Meanwhile, Llan, I want you to come home for a while. We need you under our eye, where we can keep an eye on you.'

   Llandry stiffened. 'But, Ma, my house. I'm happy here. I can manage.'

   Ynara cast a meaningful glance at the shuttered window and its leaning barricade of furniture. 'I'm sure you can.'

   'It worked, didn't it?'

   'Please, Llan. If anything happens to you...' Ynara didn't need to finish the sentence. Llandry knew that her parents wouldn't sleep unless they knew she was well. Sometimes the intense love they had for her could be stifling. She suppressed a sigh and nodded her head.

   'All right, Ma. I need today to clear up a few things, then I'll come home tomorrow.'

   Ynara hesitated, then nodded. 'Then I'm requesting a guard for you for tonight. Just to make sure.' Ynara steered Llandry to a seat and pressed a cup of tea into her hands, stroking her hair.

   'Llan, you have to give this up.' Her father, hitherto uninvolved, now fixed her with a stern stare. 'This is out of control. Your safety is more important than your career.'

   Llandry winced inwardly. He was right, too much so for her to argue with him. Truthfully she'd begun to drown under the weight of her sudden success; she wouldn't much regret being freed of the burden.

   Except in one particular. Her istore was gone, entirely so. She'd used up the last pieces, fully expecting that she would soon be retrieving more. Not a single stone was left for her to keep. That part was intolerable.

   'I agree, Pa,' she said aloud. 'I'll make an announcement - no doubt there's a reporter or two still milling around somewhere - and the boards can pick it up. I suppose all those letters can simply be returned.'

   Ynara narrowed her eyes, suspicious. Llandry kept her face carefully blank. If she could satisfy her mother and father with her easy capitulation on this point, perhaps they wouldn't think to extract any inconvenient promises from her. Such as a ban on visiting her precious cave.

   'All right, love. Thank you,' Ynara said at last. 'I'll take the message for you later.'

   Llandry thought fast. Her parents would certainly stay until the guards were in place around her house. Nothing less would satisfy them. Nor would she have any opportunity to slip out to her cave after her return to her mother's house. It would have to be this eventide: now that the swarm of reporters was gone, she would only have to evade the guards. She knew her house better than they would: slipping out would be easy. It would be a quick journey, straight to the cave and straight back, collecting a mere few small stones. As long as she had one of her precious gems to hold and carry about with her, that would be enough.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Soul Tides By CJ

Paranormal

84.7K 8.3K 55
A sex worker turned private eye must investigate her supernatural hometown in order to find a missing girl, but when clues lead her on a path of dead...
26.1K 2.9K 82
Magic or family? The choice will change her life forever. *** Lillith Hemlock is the last i...