Faking It || l.r.h

By Hemmocliffoodirwin

⚠️TW: Mention of abuse, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Read at your own risk.⚠️ - He needed someone to mak... More

1. The Break-up
2. Crush
3. Party
4. Later
5. Monday
6. Plan
7. Practice
8. Kissing Act
9. Try
10. Burn
11. Fake Date
12. Fight
14. Eye
15. Video
16. Bowling
17. Dinner
18. Mistake
19. Flirt
20. Tutor
21. Better
22. Forgive and Forget
23. Or Not
24. Mall
25. Trust Me
26. Movie
27. Amusement Park
28. Home
29. Gift
30. Over
31. Here We Go Again
32. Wishing We Could Start Again
33. Cookies
34. Eve
35. Christmas
36. Advice
37. Second Chances
38. Band
39. The Beach
40. Detention
41. Doubt
42. Confusion
43. Guilt
44. Truth
45. In Denial
46. Done
47. Independence Day
48. Midnight Memories
49. Netflix and Chill
50. Runaways
BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions
The End + Thanks

13. Move On

8.5K 211 139
By Hemmocliffoodirwin

I avoided Ashton all weekend so there wouldn't be any further conflicts, not that he was really reaching out to me anyway. I know Avery told me to apologize and I was going to, I just wanted to give us both a bit of time. It was a heated moment and I was able to get a bit of that anger off my chest but I could've messed things up and in the end it wasn't worth it. Hopefully I can patch things up with him and we can move on.

I pulled up to Avery's house and she was already outside. She walked towards my car and I stopped her from saying anything when she opened the door.

"I already know what you're gonna say and I'm gonna do it today, I promise." I said.

"Actually," she started, shutting the door behind her, "I was gonna ask you how you feel."

"Well considering I have to apologize for doing something to him that he deserved, not that great. He was all the way wrong and you want me to make it seem like I'm sorry when I'm not. But I'll fake it if it means continuing on with the plan." I shrugged.

"Not actually what I meant either. How does your face feel?" She asked.

"Oh, its fine, thanks."

I know I've mentioned this before, but it's kind of weird how our relationship has shifted. Don't get me wrong, there are still moments where she pisses me off but this is still better than what we had before. I don't know if it's because we've been spending all of this time together or what but I kind of like it, us not constantly fighting I mean.

She nodded. "It looks like it's healing. Your lip isn't swollen, which is good."

"Why are you being nice?" I blurted out. "I mean I practically forced you into doing this with me and I'm a dick to you most of the time yet you helped me and talk to me like we've been friends for a while."

"I don't know." She shrugged. "I'm a bitch sometimes I know that but I can't really explain why I'm nice to you. I guess because those who go through the most pain have the most love in their hearts and are the most caring."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "What pain do you go through?" I asked.

"We're here." She stated, ignoring my question.

I found a parking space and we got out, heading into the school together. I wanted to know what she meant before but I didn't want to bring it up again since we were at school, but later on at some point I will. And to make things better, Ashton was making his way over.

My grip on her hand tightened, probably out of anger.

"Morning, Avery." He smiled, not even looking my way. I was glad to see he was sporting a bruised eye from our little fall out two days ago.

"Hi, Ash." She said quietly. "Where's Brooke?" She asked.

"She went on that three day debate team tournament trip. They left early this morning." He replied.

"Awe, I'm sure you'll miss her." She said.

"Yeah," he sighed and nodded, "but I'm proud of her."

He'll miss her? Bullshit. I'm sure he'll just miss what she does for him.

But I didn't want to think about that. We used to do the same things, maybe even more, and the thought of her doing things with him, touching him, disgusted me.

"I'll catch you two later." He said, walking off.

Avery nudged my side with her elbow.

"Ow, what?" I asked.

"That was the perfect time to apologize." She said.

"He wouldn't even look at me."

"So? You've got to be the bigger person, suck it up. And you better hope he didn't tell Brooke about it or it'll be harder for you."

I rolled my eyes and groaned. "Fine."

"Now go, I'll see you later." She said and walked away.

I took a deep breath and went the same way Ashton had. I didn't say anything until I had caught up with him.

"Hey, Ash." I said.

He stopped and turned around to look at me. "What do you want?"

His rude tone was making me not want to apologize but I knew I had to.

"I wanted to apologize for Saturday. I shouldn't have came at you like that." I said.

He nodded. "And?"

"And I promise it won't happen again and I won't tell Brooke." I finished. At least I hope I was, I had nothing else to say and who knows how much he expects from me.

"I want to apologize too. I realize what I said was wrong and you were just defending her. I won't say anything along those lines about her again." He held out hand for me to shake. "Friends?"

I took his hand and shook it. "Friends."

He smiled and I managed a small smile too.

"I'm glad you girls patched things up." Michael laughed as he slapped me on the back when he approached us.

"Yeah, we just had a little misunderstanding, that's all." I shrugged.

"Now that everyone's happy, when do all you want to record the new song and upload it to YouTube?" Cal asked.

"Doesn't matter to me." Mike said. "I'm just busy tomorrow night but other than that I'm free."

"Anytime is cool with me." I said.

"I've got plans tonight, what about Wednesday?" Ashton asked.

What kind of plans could you have if your girlfriend is out of town?

I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. I'll overthink it and get mad again and probably lash out, possibly ruining the plan even more.

"Wednesday it is, then." Cal nodded.

The bell for first period rang and we bid each other goodbye before walking to our classes.

-

When lunch rolled around, I left my class to go to Avery's second period so we could walk to lunch together. I was waiting for her across the hall when she walked out with that guy she's always talking to.

"You again." He scoffed.

"Yep." I brought Avery closer to me and put my arm around her shoulder just to annoy him. "Aren't you just happy to see me?"

She stopped him before he could say anything. "C'mon you two, grow up."

"He started it." Dylan said.

"Hey, I just walked over to be with my girlfriend."

"Oh shut up with that bullshit." He rolled his eyes. "You're just like Evan, using people for your personal gain and not caring about how you affect them."

I'm glad no one was around because I was two seconds away from getting real pissed.

"Look you piece of shit-"

"Guys! That's enough, really." Avery said. "I'll see you later, Dylan." She said. She pulled on my arm and led me away from her annoying friend.

"Your friend is annoying." I stated.

"I'm sure he thinks the same of you, maybe worse." She replied. "He's just looking out for me."

"He needs to learn how to mind his own damn business." I rolled my eyes.

"And you need to learn to control your temper."

I huffed and we were silent the rest of the way there. When we arrived, we headed for the line, went through to pick our food, and purchase it at the register. We walked to our usual table but Cal and Mike weren't there yet. We sat down to eat and I thought of what Dylan mentioned before and how it might relate to what she said this morning.

"Who's Evan? Did he hurt you or something?" I asked. I probably shouldn't even care as much as I do, but I'm a very curious person and I always need to know the answer.

"He's no one." She shook her head.

"Hey," I turned her head to face me and quickly dropped my hand into my lap, "I know we're not that close and all but I've told you things and it'd only be fair if you did the same. You've sparked my interest and now I wanna know."

She sighed. "He was this guy I liked back in freshman year. I was surprised he asked me out 'cause a guy liking me back was unheard of. It wasn't long after that I learned he only went out with me to make his girlfriend jealous."

"Oh." I didn't know what else to say. I didn't know what I was expecting her to say but it wasn't that. "We can stop if you want. Just in case it's bringing back that horrible feeling of being used."

"I'm fine, you don't have to worry."

I nodded.

"Look at you, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you actually had a heart." She chuckled.

I laughed and Ashton walked over.

"Hey, do you guys mind if I join you? I usually sit with Brooke but you know why I can't now and I don't know where Mike and Calum are." He said.

"Yeah, of course." Avery smiled.

He smiled and took the seat across from her.

I may have forgiven him, but he's not entirely in my good graces. He's with the girl I care most about and he thinks of her as a sex object. He's still my best friend, and he always will be, but until I'm with Brooke again, our relationship won't truly be the same.

But luckily for me, Ashton and Avery were really hitting it off. We were finished eating but still had time to kill, so I just put my arm around her and acted like I was paying attention to their conversation.

Did she really answer my question, though? I can see how what she said would hurt someone but would they really be pained by it? I'm pretty sure pain is something a bit more lasting. I won't bring it up again right now. Not only because Ashton's here but also 'cause I don't want to annoy her with my question. I kind of like where we are right now and I don't want to throw that all away because I don't know how she'll react to me trying to figure her out.

I really don't know much about her. All I know is she has a thing for Ashton for some reason, she hangs out with that one guy, she doesn't have a car, and she's very studious. It really wasn't my business to try to get to know her in the beginning of all this but things changed and I want to know who she really is.

But I can't explain why. What is it about her that makes me want to take the time and get to know her? We had hated each other before all of this started. I'm not sure if we're really friends now but we're not like we were before with each other. I know I don't like her because I like Brooke, she's the only girl I've ever really cared about.

After lunch, the three of us threw our mess away and left the cafeteria.

"I'll see you two in chemistry." He said.

"Bye, Ash." She smiled.

He smiled and waved and went down the hall, opposite of where we needed to go.

"Bye, Ash." I mocked her and chuckled.

"Shut up." She blushed.

"I'm just saying, you couldn't have been trying any harder."

"Well you said I should be more flirtatious."

"And to be subtle with it, not throw yourself at him."

"Well I think I did good."

"You were okay." I nodded.

"Oh hush." She laughed and pushed me a little.

We arrived at her class with only a little time for me to get to mine.

"I'll see you later."

She nodded. "See you later."

I leaned down and pecked her lips and pulled away in confusion. Judging from the look on her face, she was just as surprised and confused as I was.

"I'll...I'll meet you in chemistry." I said.

"Okay." She went inside her classroom and I made my way down the hall to go to mine.

None of the guys were around and I kissed her. Maybe because I'm so used to faking everything that I've become accustomed to doing things like that. It's just a little weird, to kiss her like that. I know I said we had to do that to keep up the act but it's...her kiss is different in a way. Like when we first kissed on our "date", it wasn't like anything I've felt before. I'm not jumping to conclusions and I'm not even gonna mention what I'm thinking because it's that ridiculous, but it was different even from kisses I've shared with Brooke. And that simple action right there, I felt the same thing I did from the first kiss. I don't know if I liked it or what, but I will say that it was a nice feeling. I can't really go into much depth of how nice it was, it just wasn't bad.

-

I walked into chemistry and Avery was already at our lab station talking to Ashton.

"Hey, babe." I said as I sat and kissed her cheek. I didn't want a repeat of before.

"Hey, we were just talking about you." She smiled.

"Really? All good things I hope." I said.

"Ash was just telling me this story of how you tried to impress some girl at a skatepark but ended up breaking your arm." She laughed.

"Oh." I chuckled but could still feel my cheeks getting a bit warm from embarrassment. "I was an idiot then."

"And you don't think you're one now?" She raised an eyebrow and chuckled.

"Shush." I laughed and brought her closer to me.

"Has Luke told you about our band?" Ashton asked.

"He's mentioned it but never really went into detail." She replied.

"Well we cover and write songs and upload them to his YouTube channel. And we just finished a song we had been working on and plan on filming the video Wednesday and uploading it, you should come."

Does he ever not talk?

"I'd like that a lot." She nodded.

Of course she would.

"Great, can't wait." He smiled.

I bet you can't.

Soon class started and it mainly consisted of taking notes.

"Why'd you do that?" I whispered to her.

"Do what?" She asked.

"Accepted his invitation to come to our practice. I would've brought you eventually, although there's a no-girlfriend rule." I said.

"Well he doesn't seem to mind. And besides, it wouldn't be that bad, unless you suck."

I huffed and continued with my notes. He had no right to go and invite her like that. She's supposed to be my girlfriend and he went and did that right in front of me. Either I would've brought her along or he should've consulted me first.

Wait a minute, why am I being so possessive? This is exactly what I want to happen. It's about time she started opening up to him. The closer they get, the more he'll drift away from Brooke and she and I will be together again and everyone will be happy. Finally things are going my way.

After school let out, Avery and I went to our lockers before heading to my car to leave the grounds. We drove in near silence and when I pulled up to her house, she paused before getting out of the car.

"In an odd way, I want to thank you for all of this." She said.

"Driving you? It's not that big of a deal." I shrugged.

"Not just that, but convincing me to go along with this because if I hadn't, I'd never would've worked up the courage to talk to Ashton and become acquaintances in a way."

"No problem."

"I'll see you tomorrow." She waved as she got out my car and headed up to her house.

I put my car in drive and headed home. For once I wasn't angry and exhausted. I really like the way things are going.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

771 38 19
My whole life I've been waiting for someone to love me and care about me as much as I cared and loved everyone else. I never thought it was possible...
19.9K 534 27
A little bit of rehab since we're all insane. Michael Clifford fanfiction. (First fanfiction.. Might be rough)
61.6K 2K 33
❝ Cheating and lying aren't struggles, they're reasons to break up. ❞ ------- •[book 2] -completed •bullied by luke hemmings [book 1] -completed •vow...
1.1M 13.5K 199
A series of 5sos preferences. Request are open updating at least 3 times a week. Vote, comment, and follow PLEASE. Most will be from tumblr ill let y...