Ebony Mist -Original

By ElfyTheRinger

To save her people from a plight of darkness, ten year old Alaura promises herself to a mysterious dark Druid... More

Forward -Please Read!-
Part I: Power of Muse
Part II: Mirror and Anger
Part III: To My Master's Manor
Part IV: Xi
Part V: Dinner
Part VI: Canvas Blood
Part VII: Runaway Kitten
Part VIII: Dungeon Dread
Part IX: Escape The Darkness
Part X: Floating Stars
Part XI: Calm Before the Storm
Part XII: Hurricane
Part XIII: The Price To Pay
Part XIV: Shaman Art
Part XV: The Library
Part XVI: Strength of Kiss
Part XVII: Trespasser
Part XVIII: The Ride
Part XIX: Fog of Loneliness
Part XX: The Army of Everim
Part XXI: Prepare for Siege

Intro: The Promise

468 21 14
By ElfyTheRinger

Once upon a time in a world very different from our own, a world full of magic and wonder lived the black druid. No one knew the origin of the black druid, save himself. He was a tall, broad shouldered man, proud and Stoic. He had long black hair, several locks partly covering his pale face, his eyes ever changing in color from some strange spell that lay upon him. As per his name, he always wore black or dark color attire, consisting mostly of long robes and thick cloaks.

His name was known by few, and never spoken by those who did know it. His name was Kieran Ebony.

Kieran lived apart from the other druids, choosing not to stay among the other druids of Druid's Keep. Instead he made himself an island in the North Ocean where he resided and did his experiments in peace and seclusion. Though it was said that he was the strongest druid of the age, and though there were other black druids, none were as powerful as he, which is why he was more often referred to as THE black druid. On his island he had knowledge kept away from forgotten ages and histories, and knew of magic otherwise lost. Yet for all his power, it was his love of solitude and lack of desire of self-gain that kept him from being seen as a threat to the rest of the world.

Though he reached out to none, he would, on occasion, aide those who dared call upon his for help. Whether it was for wisdom, or short use of his magic. But his help always came with a great cost. No, he never asked for gold or jewels, but payment that was much more precious, and he always had reason for what he asked, a reason only he was privy to. But it was never a price too high that was willing to be paid, but that would one-day change.

(}-{)(}-{)(}-{)

South of Druid's Keep and Kieran's island was the country of Everim. It was a vast country, home to many different races. Though it was split into many territories, each governed by its own ruler, all answered to the king. Though the king did not deal in the affairs and quarrels of the territories, he made sure there was enough unity for the country to be in relative peace. He stood as a representative of the country as a whole.

The current king of Everim had four children, three strong sons, and a daughter, the youngest of the four. It had been many generations since a girl had been born in the royal line, so she was seen as a precious blessing, and was much beloved. Her name was Alaura. She had her mother's flame colored hair, pale skin, and freckled cheeks, but her father's blue eyes and generous smile. She was weak since birth, often falling ill, but despite this she lived an active life, going riding when she could, and occasionally practicing archery with her brothers. But also spending her weaker days with her nose in a book, and then there was her art. Her greatest talent was in the craft of her hands where she could skillfully turn a blank canvas into a wonderful work of art.

In all these things, she took after her mother, who also had skills with a paintbrush, but enjoyed it much more than the queen. But beyond all this, there was something else that made her beloved by the people. In the labor room, as she was born, a Fae appeared before the queen and the midwife. A Fae is a mysterious creature, for there were only twelve in existence. For a Fae to visit a woman in the labor of childbirth meant that the baby had something that would draw the Fae.

Once Alaura was born, the Fae blessed the child, saying her power would come to fruition some day when she was ready for the power. And with that blessing, the Fae was gone. Though the kind tried to keep word of this silent, somehow the rumors spread that Alaura was blessed by a Fae, which made her more beloved by the people. They considered her a blessing to the country.

(}-{)(}-{)(}-{)

When Alaura was still a child, a great affliction descended upon Everim: a great darkness that crept out of the sea and desolated all life in its wake, bringing a great illness upon the country. It was a black mist that covered a league at a time, slowly drifting across Everim. Anything that came into direct contact with it fell ill and quickly died. And those who came in contact with the effected also came down with the illness, though here slower to succumb to it. And so the sickness spread beyond just what the mist touched, though was less potent the more the sickness spread, being stronger from the source.

The king tried everything to dispel the darkness. Recruiting all kinds of magic users and seeking the help of scholars. But no one could stop its rampage across the country. Towns were desolated and abandoned, livestock left rotting in fields that were reduced to dust from the death of dying plant life.

In his desperation the king sent his eldest son to seek out the black druid. After some weeks, the prince returned with a message. The black druid would help the people of Everim, but under one condition. The beloved princess of Everim would come to live with him the day her foretold gift manifested. The whole kingdom was appalled by the condition, and the king debated long with his advisors and with the representatives of the various territories. The council room was constantly filled with heated arguments.

In the end it was Alaura herself who decided her fate. She had been barely ten, and just getting over her own illness. She stood in the doorway of the council chamber, a handkerchief in her hand, listening for some time to the debate of the council. Somehow her small voice was heard over the yelling, ceasing the bickering instantly as they all turned to look at her.

"Everyone is dying," she said softly, and all attention was on her. "We need help. I want to help, and if this is how, I can do it. Everyone will be alright."

The king went over to the little princess, kneeling in front of her to be at eye level. He attempted to dissuade her, telling her not to say such things. But she shook her head and gave a strong smile for such a weak face.

"I will go when the time comes, and the darkness will disappear."

Her words, and her strength, broke the heart of the king, but he complied. If she were so willing, then so would it be. He sent his son to give the message to the black druid, saying that they comply with his condition.

A few days later he came himself, riding upon a great black horse that chomped on its bit with wild eyes. He rode up to the door of the castle and dismounted, robes billowing around him as he strode with an air that made the strongest warrior tremble. The royal family waited for him upon the steps of the door, watching his approach. Alaura held tightly to her mother's hand as he came to stand before them.

"I am here to hear in your voice that you agree to might conditions to dispel your plight," the black druid said, his voice deep and quiet, yet full of a strange power.

"I cannot say it myself, for the decision was not made by me or my counsel, but with the princess in question," the king replied, faltering a moment in the presence of the druid. The black druid's eyes, a dark blue, turned to the child. Alaura stared up at him with a set jaw and unwavering gaze. He went and kneeled before her in a fluid movement, robes settling about him.

"So child, what have you to say?" he asked her.

"Will the darkness go away and everyone get better?" she first asked of him. He simply nodded, and Alaura took in a breath. "I want everyone to get better, no matter what. Please help my people. I will go with you. I will go with you now if you want," Alaura said, fear and determination intermingled in her voice. The druid gave a slight smile.

"Don't worry. You still have plenty of time before you will come with me. But one day you will. I look forward to that day, but for now I will save your people. Especially for one with such a large heart," he told her, and Alaura nodded. It then dawned on her that his thick black hair obscured part of his face. With the hand that did not clutch her mother's, she reached out to move aside the curtain of hair. But a strong gloved hand grasped her small one, stopping her before she could touch a strand. Everyone around them seemed to tense, and the queen tightened her grip on Alaura's hand.

"Can't I see?" came the squeak of a voice from the small girl.

"One day," he replied simply, his smile gone. With that he let go of her hand and stood. His eyes, now shifting to burgundy, looked upon the king with a scrutinizing gaze. "I will come to collect in time, kind of Everim. Consider the deal made and your plight over." With that, he returned to his horse, which had remained standing behind him, and mounted up. He took one more glance towards Alaura, before turning about and pressing his heels to his steed, galloping off.

(}--{)(}--{)(}--{)

This is where it begins. We introduce our brave young heroin, and our mysterious druid. Is it short? It is just the intro. Though each section is short, and that is why they are 'parts' and not actual chapters. Hope you all enjoy!

And a question for the readers: Suggestions on the names of her brothers? One is already named Drewland!

Also, in unedited parts the druid's name is Xavier. Here it has been changed to Kiaran (meaning dark child). His name will eventually be changed to Kiaran in later parts.

Cheers!

~ElfyTheRinger

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96 52 17
[EDITED EDITION] Hera could no longer hear the clicking of her heels as she walked towards the Magic Fountain, the fountain that would protect her fr...
2.3K 448 25
~ONC 2024 Honourable Mention~ ~~~ Alaric, the King of Silmarea, recently married to his beloved husband, needs an heir of his own...
387 15 14
A battle of races (vampires, dwarves, elves, etc., that is) rages on while the rest of the world is oblivious. One girl is somehow singled out while...
89 2 9
Waking up face down in mud sucks any day of the week. But coming around in the sludge of a strange realm...? Well, that just redefines a bad day alto...