The Elementalists

Galing kay SydCarv

:❤: Highest Ranked #108 in ROMANCE :❤: :?: Highest Ranked #1 in 'elements':?: Fiera has lived in the human re... Higit pa

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.

24.

1.2K 71 15
Galing kay SydCarv

The room allocated to me at the hotel was huge. I had a massive living room, even a kitchen area and plush lounge. The straps of my heels also broke as I tugged them off so I could feel the softness of the plush carpet under my bare feet. There was a huge couch surrounded by armchairs. All in white leather in keeping with the theme. The glass coffee table was adorned with magazines and a bowl of fruit. There was a huge TV mounted on the wall.

There was a huge fridge and a mini-bar. The walls were floor-to-ceiling windows with a magnificent view of the property the hotel covered. I could see the blue shimmer of the pool amidst the greenery and white granite walkways. There were solitary villas dotted here and there. I could even see the staff scuttle about down below in white and black uniforms.

I pulled myself away from the view and spotted a card carefully placed in the centre of the dining table. My name embossed on the white front in gold. An invitation.

Ms. Fiera
Trial’s Representative for the element of Fire
Is cordially invited
To
The Introductory Dinner
In
The Ivory Lounge
At
2000 hrs
Dress Code: Casuals

Fancy. Unnecessarily fancy. A text message with when and where to show up would've been enough. I let the card fall back onto the table as I strolled into my room.

It was a bit like every other hotel room ever. Golden comforter in keeping with the soft yellow lights glowing in the room. Pillows half my size and super fluffed up. There was a dressing table and a full length mirror to go with it. Chocolates were kept in a basket on the nightstand. The carpet in here was a darker shade. Looking more beige than cream in the soft lights. The curtains were drawn, giving the room a comfortable feel.

Nice. But as of right now, I was hungry. Might be because I'd been ushered out of the house without even getting a bite of breakfast. I skipped gleefully to the fridge in the first room, happy to find it chock-full of snacks. Grabbing everything I could fit in my hands, I flopped onto the couch, connected to the hotel WiFi and wasted the day away. I might participate in next year's Trials again just for this.

About an hour before the mentioned time, I started to lay out my outfit for dinner. As I tugged the dress out, it got caught on something. A tug, another, yet another and it came free. But so did one strap of the slip dress.

I paled as I took the frayed strap in my finger. One end was still attached to the front of my dress. This is the only dress I got for tonight. Wafi would kill me if he found out I showed up to the dinner in the same dress I arrived in.

Ensue panic. Ensue a call to Wafi.

"Hello?"

Ensue a panicked rant about the messed up dress.

"What?!"

Ensue apologies.

"Okay. Okay. Calm down, Fi." There was a pause while Wafi thought. "Give me five minutes, let me get to a private place. I'll give you a video call."

"Hurry." I glanced at the clock. "Please."

He hung up and left me alone with the dress. I flounced on the bed and tied on a robe as I tried to figure out anything I could do to try and make it stick together just for a few hours. Nothing came to mind. But Wafi's call came on time.

"Wafi!" I picked up, sounding extremely agitated. The background on his side was dark but I could make out his features well enough. "What the- where are you?"

"In my car." He replied. "I told them I had to leave early to run an errand before the dinner."

"What dinner?"

"All the royals gather together for a dinner beforehand where they boast about their contenders."

"Wow. Aren't you guys a tad too narcissistic?"

Wafi groaned, rubbing his face. "We don't have time to discuss this, Fi."

"Right." I held up the dress, making sure he could see the dangling strap. "This."

He stared at it with a frown. "Well, this is a problem."

"I know." I sighed. "Normally, I wouldn't ask this... but can you send over a dress?"

"Not in this time limit." He stared some more. "It's snapped from the back right?"

"Yes."

"The other strap is okay?"

"Yes."

"Break it."

"Break... it..." I repeated dumbly.

"Yes. Break it. Like the other one, from the back."

I rubbed my face, barely holding in a scream of frustration. "This is no time to be funny. Your jokes suck."

"I'm not being funny." Wafi gave me an exasperated glare. "Snap the other strap, then tie the two behind your neck. There, another dress."

"Oh." I glanced down at the dress. "That easy, huh?"

"That easy." He coaxed. "Do it, wear it and show me. Singe the ends of the straps so they don't fray and fall apart."

"Okay." I agreed blankly. I kept the phone aside, screen down as I used my teeth to tug the other strap free. Being synthetic satin, the frayed threads at the end of the straps joined together with a whiff of melted plastic. I slipped it on and tied the two straps securely behind my neck.

In the mirror, it looked quite good. I was surprised. The straps new configuration had pulled the neck a bit together, creating folds in the upper part of my dress. The back had deepened a bit. Overall, it looked quite good.

"Hello?" Wafi's called out from my upside down phone. "Did you forget me?"

"No. No." I picked up the phone, happy to see his irritated face. "It looks surprisingly good."

He relaxed a bit. "That's good. Switch the camera."

I stepped in front of the mirror as I tapped the screen. The small square at the bottom of the screen showed me in an awkward pose but a pretty dress.

"That's good. You look great."

"Thanks." I said, switching the camera again. "Really, I don't know what I would've done without you."

He chuckled. "Probably not gone. Anyway, it's almost time. Knock them dead, Fi."

"I believe that should be reserved for tomorrow." I replied dryly, making him laugh.

"Tomorrow, knock them out. Not dead."

I chuckled as well. "Whatever. Thanks again. Bye, Wafi."

"Good luck, Fi." He gave a wave and a smile. "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah." I waved too, hung up and placed the phone aside. I slipped into my heels and decided to head out. The shrug wasn't needed anymore.

There was a couple in the lift when it finally dinged open on my floor. Their hands separated the moment they saw me. I didn't know which element they were, but I gave them a warm smile anyway as I stepped in. They returned my greeting with cold stares.

"Ivory Lounge, Miss?" The attendant asked.

I nodded. The doors closed as the lift shot up. Opening at the last floor of the hotel, the three of us exited the tense silence into soft, ambient music and mood lighting. There were some people already there, small groups had formed which I could only guess were the teams.

It was a minimalistic themed area, seemingly in the shape of a semicircle. There was a bar panelled with black marble. The shelves behind the counter were lit, the several bottles of liquor displayed, glowing from within. The floor was white marble, couches and gathered chairs upholstered all in black. The tables were all glass with silver fittings, except for the stools— dark wood with a black cushion.

It was an expansive place. The bar was wrapped around a huge pillar in the middle of the room. Glass walls all around showing all the area covered by the hotel. It was beautiful outside at night. Secret pathways hidden in trees were visible from this high up, glowing snakes from this high up with their lights now on. The pool seemed to glow as well. I turned my attention from the view to the people. Casual suits with untucked shirts and open collars seemed to be the norm for guys. Girls were wearing several different types of dresses. It felt like mine fit in.

Maria and Senya leaned on the bar, as they waited for their drinks. Senya had her back to me, turned to face Maria who spotted me first. Her lips stopped moving, that forced Senya to investigate the cause of her silence.

The two seemed to be goggling at my dress. They'd never seen me out of training gear.

"Hey." I greeted them together. "Am I late?"

"No." Senya stared at my chest. "But that dress is." She met my eyes, a smug look in them. "Dig it out of your mom's closet?"

Maria rolled her eyes as I tried not to let that sting. "Shut up, Sen. She looks good. You're just jealous."

Sen twisted her head to glare at Maria for not backing her up. "I don't have a mother." I blurted out.

They both broke their to turn to me in shock and surprise. Sen’s features shifted to guilty, her head dropped. "Sorry, I didn't know."

"It's okay." I waved it off. "I'm used to it. It's natural to assume. So, what are you guys having?"

Maria opened her mouth to speak but her eyes flickered to something behind me. "Mmm." She hummed appreciatively as she licked her lips. "I'll have that."

What the hell? I twisted as well to see what had preoccupied the girls attention to stiffen in surprise. Surprise was quickly followed by fear as I spotted her.

Elizabeth.

Glued to Christopher.

"Oh god." I swallowed softly.

"Indeed." Maria agreed.

"Mama Mia." Senya growled.

I don't think we're talking about the same things.

My eyes were glued onto Elizabeth. She surveyed the room with a smug look on her face, very reminiscent to the Initiation Dance. She wasn't wrong to be doing it. I mean, Christopher was quite a good-looking specimen. She was a bit on the upper side of good-looking as well. I didn't know whether to be terrified of her or hype her on.

Her dress was made of a black light, shimmery material. Her asymmetrical hemline seemed to float around her legs. It was longer at the back towards her right leg and quite short at the front. Strapless, with a sweetheart neckline. A shimmering set of diamonds adorned her neck. The dress cinched in by her tiny waist. Her other accessory was Christopher, equally jaw dropping in a plain white button-down, untucked, and blue jeans.

He looked comfortable. I wanted to be comfortable. But Wafi didn't let me pack a pair of jeans.

Luckily, Elizabeth's gaze skated right over me. I looked different. Hopefully, different enough to pass a closer glance. My eyes flickered to Christopher, his gaze intently on me. I could see his confusion but it faded away once we made eye contact. He forced on a bored expression and moved on.

"Oh my god, did you see that?!" Senya gasped excitedly. "He looked at me!"

"No way. He was looking at me." Maria snapped back haughtily. "I'm dressed better."

"Whatever floats your boat, Maria." Was Senya's condescending reply.

I turned back to the bar, and caught the bartender's attention. "Is liquor allowed tonight?"

He shook his head. "Not for Fire Elementals."

"Ugh. Just give me a virgin mojito." I rubbed my head irritatedly, trying to avoid messing up my makeup. "This is going to be a long night."

Those two were happy to ignore me as I slipped onto a stool beside them. I was just biding my time. Stay for about an hour or so before I got out of here. My heart was in my throat. It might not be very close quarters, however even being in school with her had me worried. I was strung tighter than a guitar string right now. I would probably emit a high-pitched note if someone plucked me. It would sound like terrified scream.

"Finally!" Senya burst out all of a sudden. Guess that means the guys are here.

They don't like me either. I sadly blew some bubbles into my drink. I wish Eric and Flo were here. This would be more fun.

"What took you guys so long?" Maria growled. "I thought guys don't take as long as girls to get ready."

"I overslept." Martin intoned in his deep voice. "It took Chester a while to wake me up."

Chester was the quiet one in their group. His reply was an affirming grunt. They talked for a while, casual banter as I finished my drink and used my straw to toy with the melting ice cubes.

"The kid?" Chester asked, a man of words as usual.

"Right here." I sighed, a tired wave thrown over my shoulder before I glanced at them. They wore the same open collar shirts and trousers like every other guy. I saw their eyes widen in surprise. "I'm not a kid. I'm sixteen."

"You're still a junior." Martin justified with a shrug. The reply was rather blank as his eyes scanned my figure.

"You look good." Chester complimented. I glanced at him to see if he was joking but I could see sincerity in his eyes.

"Yeah. Great, in fact." Martin agreed with a bit of hesitation after a glance at the other two girls.

It was my chance to look surprised as I glanced between the two of them. "Thanks. You guys look good too."

Before they could reply, Senya punched both of them in the shoulder. "You pricks!" She scowled. "What about us?!"

The guys rubbed their arms and forced out some compliments as they gave her a hurried glance. Senya grinned. "Thanks, I just bought this dress." Sending a contemptuous look my way, she continued. "Unlike Fiera. I'm pretty sure she dug it out of her grandmother's closet."

My fingers tightened around the glass. "Shut up." I finally snapped, really pissed this time. "I don't have parents, which naturally leads to the fact that I don't have grandparents, you insensitive, spoiled little brat. Your makeup is so heavy Dwayne Johnson is using it as weights. It's clear you're trying too hard because even the bartender is trying to get away from the shitty perfume you've bathed in and he's paid to be here to enjoy our company." I realised that my voice had inadvertently risen. All the anger from all their insults had caught up to me.

All four of them were shocked quiet and I realised that was the case for most of the bar anyway.

Senya's face started crumpling up into a scowl as she took a step back. "Me, a brat?!" She whined like a brat. "How dare you?! You're the youngest in this bar, the only junior here. You should have respect for me!"

I stood up as she took another step forward. Fear flickered in her eyes and she stopped. "Respect for you? Just yesterday I heard you call me an annoyance. I may be a junior but that's all the more reason you should have respect for me. I didn't train for two years, I trained for two months to make it here. Try me, bi-"

She gave a scream of anger and pulled her fist back to swing at me. I saw it coming, my hand immediately rose to block her punch. It smacked into my open palm where I twisted it till she cried out in pain.

I leaned in as she whimpered. "I'm leaving now. If you want to continue this, we go to the same Gym. And this time, I'm not holding back."

I pushed her fist away, the force made her stumble back into a wide-eyed Maria. Giving all four of them another sneer, I twisted and walked out of the bar. It felt like such a relied to be able to leave that place. The atmosphere was stifling with those four around. It was hard to breathe near them with the size of their egos.

I snapped the floor number at the floor attendant who was probably used to receiving bad attitude from patrons. He probably thought I was an angry drunk but I wasn't even drunk. There might have been a mini-bar in my room but I really just wanted to crash, get in a few extra hours before it all began. It took a while but I managed to force my body to shut down.

I got a wake up call at 5 AM with a message to report to the lobby with essentials at 6 AM. I got an adrenaline jolt as I realised that within the span of a few hours, I would be facing all those people who saw me have an outburst yesterday.

Aah, yes. Nothing like making a good first impression. I probably looked volatile enough to pass a for someone attending court-mandated anger management sessions.

My jumpsuit slid on like a second skin. And like a second skin, it was also revealing everything while covering everything. The jumpsuit didn't have any sleeves. It tapered off above the chest to wrap snugly around my throat, a catch at the back to hold it shut. My arms from the shoulder down were to be exposed anyway. I tried to see if there was any give in the torso area but I could barely get my fingers in. It was a weird fabric, knit together so tight I couldn't even force a fingernail into it.

I poked around in my bag, hoping that Mich had kept something because he knew how self-conscious I was in the suit. I hit gold. Saying a silent prayer of thanks for Mich's long life, I tugged out a soft, cotton skirt. It was a long skirt, fell to my ankles and plain white. Looked quite good considering that the jumpsuit was black and it looked like I was wearing a bodysuit over the skirt.

I admired myself in the mirror a little more before picking up the small bag Mich had packed for me. It had two water bottles, an energy bar, and a packet of cookies— my favorite kind. The sleepy attendant stood a little straighter as I walked into the lift. The lobby was empty, I was a bit early. I took a seat on a comfortable armchair. My body faced the lift as I dug into my breakfast.

Luckily, I wasn't the only one with the idea of covering up atleast a little. Others were showing up with jackets, a pair of shorts. Some didn't mind the form-fitting uniforms as they strut out of the elevator confidently.

Eyes did fall on me, appreciative, confused... questioning as they tried to remember if this was the same girl from last night. I just calmly ate my cookies and met their eyes.

Christopher and Elizabeth arrived, the first ones from the Water contingent. They looked good in their full uniforms. Christopher wore a black jacket over his outfit, Elizabeth was happy with the attention. I bowed my head over my phone as her eyes shifted my way. I was terrified. A part of me knew that it was inevitable. That... That I might be recognised the longer I spent around her. There was nowhere left to hide.

Not after today.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

36 0 32
Grieving his lost friend and furious with OStar, Avaro and his friend Lucerne leave OCTown to his friend's home. Where they would stay as Avaro calms...
4.3K 281 36
"So you think I have the power of the Earth Element?" I ask her. "We don't think. . . We believe." She smiles and gently caresses my cheek. "But Evy...
95.8K 3.9K 26
There was only one thing that every kid lived for on their sixteenth birthday. It wasn't parties or celebrations but a test. Julie's government is ru...
1.4M 54.6K 62
Credits: 'MsChallenjour' for the amazing yet beautiful book cover and 'Daring2BeMe' for trying to edit the first few chapters of the book. Also, the...