The Elementalists

By SydCarv

:❤: Highest Ranked #108 in ROMANCE :❤: :?: Highest Ranked #1 in 'elements':?: Fiera has lived in the human re... More

1.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.

2.

2.9K 120 26
By SydCarv

Bubbles started forming at the bottom of the glass and rising to the surface and Mr. Goldson smiled. "Air." He said simply.

But the bubbles increased and started rapidly rising to the surface. I kept up the flow. It seemed to go on. The bubbles rose to the surface faster and faster before steam started rising and the water started boiling faster and faster. The steam got thicker and the euphoria maintained itself. Fascination filled me.

"Fire. That's good. Fiera, you can stop now." He said.

I didn't stop. My power wasn't switching off and I didn't want it to. The happiness! The glee! This- this- euphoria! I wanted it to stay. I wanted-

"Fiera, stop. You'll tire yourself." Terry's voice got a note of urgency.

I ignored him and let the water bubble. The glass started shaking and the bubbling started reaching the rim of the glass. Drops started flying everywhere and landed on my skin but I didn't feel the heat. The drops rolled off and left my skin untouched instead of an angry red.

Suddenly my hand was grabbed and pulled up. My concentration broke and my eyes turned to Terry as his sudden pull forced me to a standing position. There was worry in his eyes and the steam from the glass floated in between our vision.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. The power in my hands ebbed away and I felt it settle. The euphoria went with it. "I didn't want to stop."

"It's okay." His voice was tight. "It happens. It feels different for everybody but don't ever get carried away. Your power isn't stemming from an unlimited well, you have limits. And only through training can you know and stretch those limits. But remember," his eyes narrowed and his grip on my hand tightened. "Don't ever go past your limit. You will die."

A small pang of fear passed through me and my eyes widened at the word. He maintained my sight for few more moments before throwing my hand away. I stumbled back, still slightly shocked.

"Leave. I'll submit your results."

I stayed frozen to my spot. He broke eye contact and turned away to start typing the results in a small tablet. Another moment passed before I turned around and left the room. The people sitting outside seemed annoyed at the time it took me. But my face seemed to put off their anger.

I could die? Why didn't Mich ever tell me this?

I gained some of my composure before leaving the building and the cool air hinting of coming rains hit me. I took a deep breath and just let the air flutter around me and cool me down.

"Fi-Fi!" A guy's voice yelled my name.

Embarrassment filled me in a second as eyes turned to him and then me. He was waving crazily. I squeezed my eyes shut as my best and only friend over here rushed over to me.

"What di- Ugh!" He was cut off in his sentence as I yanked him by the collar so that he was eye level with my glare. I had been informed it had an intimidating effect on people.

"Eric." I said lowly. "I have told you so many times not to call me that in public. I know you like saying it. But I hear it out of you once more and I'll rip your tongue out through your eyes."

He frowned and then grabbed my wrist, pulling himself free as he straightened. My glare was maintained as he started speaking. "First of all, Fifi is a cute name. Second of all, Fiera is too long to be yelled. Third of all, what is your element?" He burst into a wide grin. "Because, I'm Earth!"

Surprise passed through me and dissipated my anger. "Earth? Wasn't your dad hoping for Earth?"

"Yes!" Eric exclaimed throwing his arms out and stepping back. "It was my grandfather's element and dad was scared that after three sisters who are mostly air, I would turn out to be air too!"

My face decided to mirror his expression. "That's great, Eric! I'm so happy for you!" I moved a hand, motioning towards myself. "Now give me a hug, Riri!"

He eagerly went in and lifted me as I wrapped my arms around him. We both whooped before he dropped me and stepped back. I heard another yell, for both our names this time. As one, our heads turned towards a short redhead jogging towards us with an ecstatic smile on her face.

She ran smack dab into me and wrapped her arms around my neck. My breath was temporarily knocked out before I wrapped my arms around her for balance. This was before she started jumping in my arms and yelling.

"I'M AIR, FIERA! I'M AIR! I CAN BECOME A DOCTOR! I'M SO HAPPY!" Florence screamed into my neck and I tried to handle her as Eric gave the shortie an amused look.

"No hug for me?" He said, interrupting her parade.

She stopped jumping and turned her head to look at him, keeping her arms locked around my neck. The look on her face was deadpan. She moved her eyes from top to bottom and back, before speaking in a dead voice. "No." And then immediately, she was back to screaming her element into my neck and acting like a bucking bronco.

Eric was frowning at her back with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "Why don't I get a hug?" He whined. "The three of us met this morning. And I gave you a ride."

Florence stopped jumping and finally turned to him, unlocking her arms from being my neck. "Because I like her and I don't know you yet."

"A lesbian?" He blurted out.

Florence sighed and turned to me, deciding to ignore him and that clearly ticked Eric off. "What's your element, Fi?"

"Fire." I answered and she smiled.

"Fire and air get along well." Then she turned to him. "Unfortunately, so do Earth and Air."

Yup. I see a budding romance here.

I'd decided to sit quietly in the backseat as Flo and Eric bickered. They threw quite a lot of insults back and forth, didn't help that they lived on the same damn street. I doubt they even noticed me leave because I could still hear them running their mouths as they drove away.

Pushing the door open, I yelled. "Mich! I'm home!" Boxes lined the hallway along with bubble wrap, packaging tape, markers, papers, Styrofoam peanuts, plastic wrap and a vacuum cleaner. I pressed my lips together as I picked my way through it blindly towards the sounds of excessive grunting.

The house was modestly sized. A room for me, a room for him, a study and an extra room for guests. There was a small kitchen, a living room adjoining our dining room and there was a pool in the backyard. We'd never had a pool. We got the house for a good price because it was isolated and he knew the lady who sold it to us. I'm pretty sure there was some bargaining over drinks and it may have concerned an overnight stay. I mean, the lady was incredibly dressed up when she came to get the final papers signed. Mich must have really turned on the charm.

Last time he did that, he got me into a new school in the middle of the school year when we'd had to move. And I didn't even have to repeat an year!

I walked into the study he was setting up to see him grunting and breathing hard as he pulled a desk to the center of the room. He was behind the desk and he saw me as soon as I entered the room. He had his noise cancelling headphones on and a bandanna. A tank top showed off his rippled muscles which were slick with sweat.

"What's up, Stallone?" I greeted him after looking him over.

He rolled his eyes as he pulled his headphones off. "I may have these on but I'm a good lip-reader." Moving out from behind the desk, he added. "Any of your friends an Air element? I could use some help with the moving."

"I know two people here. Eric and Florence." Two fingers went up on my right hand. "Yes, Florence is Air-" his face lit up "-but she knows about as much as you know about carpentry."

He grimaced in remembrance. "Are you never going to let that go?"

"It'll be the last thing I say to you on your deathbed." I replied dryly, leaning against the doorjamb.

He chuckled good-naturedly and walked towards. I had no qualms about him being sweaty as he pulled me towards him with an arm around my shoulder and we turned towards the kitchen.

"Raise these little shits for 16 years and this is the thanks I get? Should've left you in the forest." He squeezed my shoulder as I laughed at him.

We separated as we reached the kitchen. I took a seat at the kitchen island as he went to the fridge and called out possible lunch options. We settled on a chicken stir fry and he tossed me some tomatoes, onions and bell-peppers to chop as he put the chicken in the microwave to defrost.

I pulled out two cutting boards and passed him one as he decided to stand and cut the vegetables.

"So, are you happy?" He asked after a few moments of amiable silence.

I glanced up at him and back down so I wouldn't accidentally cut my finger before speaking. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, are you happy with the element you got? Is it what you expected?"

I shrugged, the bell-pepper got cut came wonky. "I didn't know what to expect. But I like fire. I was really hoping for Light because of you. You could have taught me."

"Fire is good, Fiera." He stopped chopping and I looked up to meet his earnest eyes, but there was something else in there. "Fire is very... Good. Water would also have been good. Light would've been the best because then I could have trained you. But Fire and Light are very closely related."

"But what if I want to be family? What if I want to be Light and not Fire? What if I want to call you dad and not Mich?" My voice got sad but I couldn't help it. It was a never ending argument.

He sighed. "As much as I wish you were my daughter, Fiera, you're not. Your father may be out there and I don't want to take away his right to be called Dad."

"But he wasn't present for sixteen years of my life, you were. You took care of me alone. You did everything for me. If that's not a Dad, what is?" My voice became shaky and I felt a lump in my throat. I swallowed hard and looked down, the stainless steel knife reflected sad, hazel eyes.

"Oh, Fiera..." Mich whispered. I looked up slightly as his hand approached me but then paused halfway. "There's chili on my hand." He hurried to the kitchen sink and started washing it off as I took a deep breath and looked out the window into the bright sky. My tears receded as heapproached me, wiping his hands on a towel.

He leaned down to press a kiss to my forehead before pulling me to his chest. A small sigh escaped me as his hand smoothed my hair and rubbed my back in an effort to soothe me. I inhaled deeply. "I'm sorry, Mich."

"It's okay, sweetheart." His voice was a rumble in his chest. "Your real father is a dick for abandoning such a beautiful baby girl."

I chuckled softly and smacked his elbow. "That's one for the swear jar."

"I haven't set up the swear jar." He replied.

I leaned back and he looked down at me as I grinned mischievously. "I am your swear jar. Give me a dollar." I held out a hand.

Mich gave an exasperated sigh and threw his hands up as he turned away, starting his rant once again. "These damn kids! Raise them for sixteen years and they bleed you dry! Should've left you in that damn forest!"

"Another dollar!" I chimed in. "And one for earlier when you said 'little shits'!"

He groaned and clutched his head. "Why am I such a good person? Should've left you in the damn forest."

"Four!"

"Damn it, Fiera!!"

After getting the results, we'd had dinner, watched TV while sitting on the unpacked couch and crashed.

I was out like a light. It was surprising. I hadn't gone for a run either that morning but I guess even just channelling my energy must've take a lot more out of me than I knew. I'd need to watch my limits because the old man talked like it was a grave matter.

My day began with Candyland by Tobu and my hand blindly searched for my phone lost somewhere in the sheets of my bed. I slammed it to my ear and mumbled a hello.

"Better get up out of that bed because we have to get primped and pumped for a dance." Flo's cheery voice came through the line.

My ears perked up like a dog hearing its master. She said dance. "Did you say 'dance'? I love dance. Dance is life. I'm in. Where is it? When is it? I need all the details and is there a dress code?" I fired questions one after another to Florence. Sleep was forgotten.

She started speaking. It was an event held every year as an initiation for the new Elementals-in-training and ones who were about to graduate. It was held by the school but hosted by one of the heads of the five elements. This year was Water's turn.

"Oh my god, it's going to be so much fun! You can meet all my friends and we can dance and drink and dance some more and eat and drink and... you get the gist." She giggled to herself. "And maybe you can even meet some cute boys."

I sighed. "I can hear your eyebrows wagging at me till here. And no, I'm not looking for a relationship. I'm tired of them."

"Who's talking about a relationship? I say end the night a 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' way."

I burst out laughing and rolled on to my side. A cardboard box blocked my view. "That is very sexist. But that does sound tempting. Freshmen or seniors?"

"Seniors. More experience."

"But freshmen have more stamina."

"Can't argue with you there. But experience wins out over stamina."

"Not all the time. Experience is good but what if he wants more than one experience?"

"If he's cute, do it. Go for it."

I cocked an eyebrow as I lazily stood up. It was my turn to make breakfast today. "So you're saying let him 'wham-bam' me all year long?"

"Yas, gurl." I chuckled as she said it. "Anyway, are you free today? I wanted to go shopping."

"Nah. Take Eric or go with your sister or something." I tucked the phone between my ear and shoulder as I searched for a hair tie. "I have to fix my room today. After we got the results yesterday, neither of us did any unpacking. Mich has to go to work in three days and we have to start school at the same time."

"But the dance is tomorrow!" She whined. "We need to buy you a dress and get your hair done and your nails and- oh my god! SHOES!!"

I sighed and shook my head. "No, Flo. As fun as that sounds, I really need to get some work in today. I promised Mich. Besides, I have dresses and shoes and I can do my own nails."

"You'll wear the same dress twice?!" She exclaimed.

I rubbed my face in exasperation as made my way downstairs. "The people here haven't seen me wear it twice. And what's wrong with wearing it twice? I don't care. And neither should you. They are good dresses and I like them."

There was a long pause on the line before she sighed. "God, you're adamant. Fine. I'll send you pictures of what I've bought."

"Sure. Have fun."

"Mind if I swing by in the afternoon?"

"Pool's not set up, house is a mess. I'll take a rain check on that."

"Deal. When school starts?"

"When school starts." I repeated. "Bye Flo."

"Bye Fiera! See you tomorrow!"

A small smile came on me as she said that before hanging up. I laughed and shook my head to myself as I headed downstairs to prepare breakfast. Maybe I'll make banana bread. Mich loved banana bread but it took some time so we would eat it later in the day.

He took his own time rising and and came out when I was just placing it in the oven. "Mornin'." He mumbled sleepily as he sat down.

"Waffles with honey." I replied. "We're out of chocolate sauce. I'll get it today and see if I can get a part-time job around here that won't interfere with my school timings or studies."

I heard a fork clink on plate as I shut the oven door and sat down opposite to Mich with my own waffles and honey. He had a pained look in his eyes. I looked at him expectantly, not eating so I would be able to answer his question.

"Fiera, you don't have to get a job. I can support us." His voice was low, worried.

I rolled my eyes. "It's okay, Mich. I know moving here has cost you and going back and forth between the two realms will be tiring. You won't be here to help me all the time. I need to be a little independent and make my own money." He still didn't seem into the idea. I leaned forward, desperate to pitch my idea. "Please, Mitch. This way I won't be alone at home all the time and I'll be going out of the house too."

Something flickered in his gray eyes and he looked away before sighing. "Fiera, the human realm is different and this place is different. You don't need to work.

I leaned back onto my seat. It was settled. Mich always had a problem admitting it but a his salary covered only so much. We finished up and Mich took the dishes as I went for shower. I came back down in the same outfit Mich was wearing yesterday. A bandanna, tanks and shorts. I rubbed my hands together as he looked up from today's newspaper.

"Let's do this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

205K 11.7K 51
Yet again Darkness is hungry for a war to end it all, but Light will always have troops at the ready. One girl. One kingdom. Eleven friends. Four Ele...
1.7K 147 30
How would you react if someone told you, their mission was to kill you? Cass didn't take kindly to that, and she knows why. Before Cassandra's mothe...
36 0 32
Grieving his lost friend and furious with OStar, Avaro and his friend Lucerne leave OCTown to his friend's home. Where they would stay as Avaro calms...
431 79 21
UNEDITED * STARTED: September 05,2022 COMPLETED: May 20, 2023* Elemental wars, an awkwardly flirtatious warrior lady, a missing king and one song t...