Unmasked

By RejectWriter

Unmasked (A Cinderella Story): Mary Anabel is treated like a slave to her mother and sisters. Then one day... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
When They Found Each Other Again
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41- THE END

Chapter 14

4K 102 2
By RejectWriter

-unedited-

Chapter 14:

"Mary," I hear Harriet's voice my I choose to ignore it.

It's too early in the morning, even earlier than when I would usually wake when I'm "healthy" but Harriet whispers my name again and this time I open my eyes to find her head hovering above me.

"There's someone here to see you."

"Who?" I rub my eyes.

"Michael."

~*~

"He's at the kitchens back door," Harriet whispers back to me as she leads me through the still dark hallways. The sun has not risen, it's either way too late at night or way too early, no one can tell, Harriet is relying on her already adjusted eyes and memory to travel.

When we finally turn I the real door open and I see him behind the screen door and I smile, Harriet releases my hand and I go to hug him. I almost forgot he was back.

Guilt fills my stomach.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him as soon as I step outside with him. I look back to see Harriet quietly shutting the door leaving it open just a crack so I can go back in at any time.

I can barley make out his feature but I know it's him yet this time he seems to be wearing a strange but familiar uniform.

"Mary?" He says making me lose my train of thought.

I look up to his eyes, "yes?"

"I'm here to ask you about the night at the ball,"

I stiffened, is that all he came here for?

Even in the dark he must have seen my expression and quickly added, "oh no, you're not in trouble or anything. I just need to speak to you about it and- oh where are my manners? Hello, Mary."

I smiled a little bit. He remembered his manners yet I didn't even greet him.

"Hello, Michael."

"Ah, yes, so where was I? Oh yes, the ball, I'm here to ask you about the man you were dancing with."

"You saw him?" For some reason, a mixture of hope and shock filled within me. I must have believed he really did disappear after I lost him.

"I guess you can say I know him,"

Now it was shock and nervousness that filled me.

"Really?"

"Yes,"

I looked down. He said I wasn't in trouble, so why do I feel like I am?

"Do you realize that you danced with the Prince, Mary?"

"I-"

"Look at me when you answer," he didn't say it harshly, but the fact that he didn't made it even more intense.

I looked up to him, and nodded.

"Mary! Do you not realize the situation that you have created!" Michael tried to tell me in a hushed tone, but instead came out as uneven and frustrated.

"W-what problem did I create?"

"Mary, he's looking for you, but not you, he's looking for Melisadane!"

"What?" He looking for me?

"Yes, he has men searching the entire place! Mary, do you realize how much trouble you'll be in if he succeeds in finding you?"

"I-" yes, yes I do, but part of me wants him to find me. I'm beginning to realize I'd rather be thrown away in jail than continue living bed ridden or as nothing more than a slave.

"I plan on sending him a letter,"

"A letter? Mary-"

"A letter to explaining that I can't see him that-"

"Oh Mary that's the same as Turing yourself in! Might as well send him you full name, date of birth, and address." He scoffs.

"No," I shake my head, thinking as I spoke, "it's be anonymous but he'd know it's from me. I'll tell him to give up his search for me that it's be no use-"

"But do you really believe that would work, Mary?" He asks me in a much more hush tone as if someone began to listen in, "wouldn't that encourage him more? Why not let him figure it out himself?"

"Because he might not figure it out quickly... Look I've been bedridden all week so I haven't seen how much he's doing but if its great then he won't give up for soon. Who better to convince you to let go of someone than the person you're holding on to themself?"

Michael thought for a moment, then responded with, "alright, then how would he know surely it was from you if you plan on mailing him anonymously?"

"I have that figured, I just need to find out who will mail it to him without question," I looked down again. Who'd be foolish enough to deliver a letter anonymously to the prince without suspecting a thing?

"I'll do it." He confirmed with what seemed to be hesitantly but I might of imagined it, making me look up at his barely visible features.

Before I could question him, he says, "have the letter ready before sundown and I'll deliver it to him. I can only pray you'll be right Mary."

He kisses my forehead, "Goodnight, or should I say 'Good Morning'."

Bows slightly, then leaves.

It's not long until Harriet appears behind the door and hurries me in.

By the time I'm back in bed the other maids, cooks, and cleaners begin to wake making Harriet leave. I'm left laying there wondering what on earth am I going to write.

~*~

"Harriet?" I ask as she steps into my room, bread in her hands.

"Hmm?" She barely looks up to me as she sits at the edge of my bed and hands me the small loaf; I hardly look at her too.

"What can I say to him?" I finally ask.

She sighs heavily and slightly shakes her head, "I don't know dear. You know him better than I do,"

'But I hardly know him' I wanted to say, but the words never formed and I'm only staring at the bread in my hands.

"Tell him what you said you were going to write him," Harriet suggests.

I shake my head, "I have to explain more to him-"

Harriet's hands come over mine and we finally make eye contact. She smiles lightly and it was then I realized how much Harriet has truly been there for me, and how much I won't ever be able to repay her.

It almost makes me sad.

"You said it yourself when you spoke to Michael; That you didn't know how bad it was because you've been stuck inside these past couple of days but I've seen it when I go shoppin', I see his signs all over town his extra security. Honey, the only way for you to get out of this is to do what you planned and tell him to let go and move on."

"If only it were that easy," I mumble.

"Sweetie, I don't know your feelin's for this boy, but if you really do love him you'd write to him," she winks at me and gets up to leave, but before she does, she turns to me and says, "tell him, everything."

And she's gone.

It takes me a while but then I realize her words, and my stomach makes a flip then drops.

I stand and begin to look for a paper and hope to god there's a pen in thrown somewhere.

~*~

"Anya," I look at her unable to hide the worry in my voice.

"I got it," she smiles as she takes the envelope from my hands.

As Anya makes scribbles a few words it I try to find air to breathe but fail. I didn't actually think it through, what if it doesn't make sense? What if-

Oh no, just stop it. Breathe Mary, breathe.

"I'll give it to your friend as I make my way out seeing its almost sunset." She takes out a pocket watch from one of her dress pockets, glances at it quickly and snaps it shut, placing it back in her pocket.

She looks up to me and smiles, shaking my hand before she leaves.

Today was her last "checkup" on me, I requested Anya to tell my mother I was ready to work tomorrow just so I wouldn't have to be bedridden any longer that I wish to be, but I fear what punishment she'll have for me for being "ill". If I know anything about my mother it's that she hates having useless workers- not that she pays me in order for her to get upset-.

But then again, knowing my mother as soon as Anya leaves after telling I'm well enough to work she'll have me working harder than anyone, which is why I'm already dressed in my housekeepers uniform (for everyone I the different section has a different uniform).

I count to five minutes, then I walk out , passing the kitchen, the laundry rooms, and eventually the supply rooms. Making my way up though a series of hallways and through a couple doors until I find myself in the living room. I fix up my posture fully until I walk towards the center where my mother awaits, arms crossed and foot tapping.

No more playing lovesick Princess, time to get to work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78 8 8
Seven years after an unlucky incident , Lily meets her highschool best friend and her teenage crush in an peculiar turn of events.Her friend who has...
5.2K 172 17
Holly and Jordan have been best friends all their lives. Nothing has ever gotten in the way of their friendship, but when their school has a winter s...
353 39 14
She doesn't know who he is and neither does he know her. The purpose of this anonymity? To be free of judgement and be comfortable sharing their inne...
25.2K 387 3
Evangeline had been a slave all her life, bullied by the servants and the nobles, looked down upon by everybody. She was told she was ugly, miserable...