In the middle of it all.

By Keri8794

Desperate to salvage all that's left in his and his brothers' careers, Daxton enlists the help of the innocen... More

Preface
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29.
CHAPTER 30
Authors Note

CHAPTER 21

9.3K 339 29
By Keri8794

A/N: I apologize for making you wait so long for an update. I have struggled tremendously with motivation to write. Work has been emotionally and physically draining this year and I've just got to the point now where I'm just exhausted. I'm sorry I've kept you all waiting and I'm sorry I can't give you a very long chapter. Good news is though, that I finish work next week. Not only does that mean more frequent updates but, it also means that the next chapter will be a juicy and long one. Until then,

Stay safe and thank you for your continuous pushing to finish the story you've all come to love.

- Keri.

Song: "Timber" - Pitbull ft. K$sha.

****************************************

"How am I supposed to believe anything you say?"

"How could you even ask that?"

Mikayla grimaced as she turned the corner. Annabelle and Nick were having an all-out brawl. It upset her, hearing them say such nasty things. It upset her most that Annabelle sounded ready to give it all up. Mikayla knew if she did, it would be the worst decision she'd ever make. Nick and Annabelle had an unconventional beginning but, they'd grown to love each other. Nick made Annabelle happy. It was all Mikayla wanted for her longest friend. She wished nothing more than to experience it herself one day.

"They're really going at it," said Daxton from behind her. Mikayla leaned against his chest with a smile. She may have just found the person she'd been looking for. If only she didn't have to pretend to love his brother.

"I know!" cheered Cameron. "Do you think Annabelle will slap him?" Mikayla rolled her eyes. He was an idiot.

"Don't be insensitive," she admonished him.

He chuckled. "It wouldn't be the first time it happened."

"Doesn't mean it should happen again."

Cameron was silent for a moment. "Can I go out now?" he asked suddenly.

"No!" shouted Daxton and Mikayla. Mikayla was tired of his nagging.

"Why do you want go out?" she asked him.

She was sure he shrugged. "I'm bored."

"So, entertain yourself," drawled Daxton. Mikayla could hear his annoyance.

"If I knew how to, I wouldn't be nagging you." Snapped Cameron.

Mikayla sighed and turned to face them both. The shouting from around the corner had dissipated. She wondered if any blood was shed. "Maybe we can help you."

"How?" asked Cameron.

"Let's do something together. All of us. It'll will entertain you and hopefully help the other two"

"It could work," mumbled Daxton. "What should we do?"

She thought for a moment. She had to think of something inclusive. It had to be an activity that would force her friend to interact with her husband. She needed something that would remind Annabelle of why she loved Nick. Suddenly, it hit her. "I know just the thing."

~~***~~

"This is your grand plan?" asked Cameron. He didn't sound convinced. Mikayla pouted. She'd thought her plan to be inspired. Perhaps she'd been wrong.

"What's wrong with it?" she asked sullenly.

"Well," drawled Daxton from beside her. "It's a bit juvenile."

"Well yeah," she agreed with a shrug. "But it's fun."

Cameron sniggered. "It's only good with booze and you've hidden them from me."

"We can have fun without the alcohol," she snapped at him.

"No, we can't. Not with this."

"You need to learn to enjoy it without alcohol," said Daxton. "That's the point of all this."

"Stop bringing that up," whined Cameron. "The only reason you're complaining about it is because of Mikayla."

"What's that supposed to me?" demanded Daxton.

"The quicker I can sort myself out, the quicker you can be with her." Silence fell around them. Mikayla felt frozen in her spot. She wasn't aware they'd been so transparent. "Newsflash brother, even when this all works, you can't have her."

Mikayla could feel the tension bounce off Daxton's shoulders. She felt a strong desire to wrap him in her arms and protect him. She couldn't do that. Cameron's words held too much truth in them. They were trying for something they could never have. Maybe it was best they left it all behind. It was better she got out soon rather than when he had her heart.

"Let's just play the damn game," he mumbled and stomped away. Mikayla's mood left with Daxton. Maybe it was better that they all just went to bed. She wasn't in the mood to play a game anyhow.

"Well, you heard him," said Cameron. "Let's play your game."

"I don't want to."

"Too bad." He gripped her arm from her elbow and dragged her towards the living room. Mikayla could hear the others. It was when they were in the room that Mikayla regretted her idea. The air was suffocating.

"What's this about a game?" asked Annabelle. There was a prominent bite to her words. Mikayla tried not to take the attack to heart. The anger wasn't directed at her after all.

"Um," she said, wringing her fingers. "I thought it might be good for us all to play a game."

"What game?" asked Nick. He sounded on the opposite end of Annabelle. That wasn't good.

"Spin the bottle." She said softly.

It was quiet for a moment before Mikayla heard Annabelle chuckle. "You can't be serious. We're not in high school."

"Or drunk," added Cameron. No one acknowledged his words.

"It doesn't matter," Mikayla said. "It'll be a relaxing time for us. I think we all need it. It'll be a neutral space where no rules, no relationship drama exists. Just some adults making questionable decisions."

"Well, when you put it that way, I'm in." said Cameron.

"What happens in the game doesn't matter right?" asked Annabelle. "It's just adults making bad choices." Mikayla nodded. "Sounds good. I could do with some reckless behavior."

Mikayla cheered. "Daxton?"

"I'm in."

"Nick?"

"I don't know Mikayla. I'm not sure it's a healthy answer to our problems." He answered.

She shrugged. "I'm not trying to give you answers. I just want us all to get out our heads and be young and foolish for a few hours. With all the stress we've all faced these past few days, we need it."

He sighed. "Alright. I'll have my parents come fetch Sofia." No one argued with him.

"Invite your sister," shouted Cameron.

"Why?" asked Nick. Mikayla heard the hesitance. She smirked. Nick had every reason to be hesitant when Cameron Reynolds was involved.

"She's hot," said Cameron simply. "We also need another female to make things even."

"Your sister could use a break of her own," said Annabelle cautiously. Mikayla turned her head towards Nick. She waited to hear what he would say.

Eventually he sighed. "All right. I'll go make arrangements. You all get things ready."

For the first time in weeks, a happy cheer broke out in the room. Mikayla smiled. Maybe her plan would work after all. She just had to be smart about it. There were no boundaries in the game and, if it were going to work, she had to it well. It was time Annabelle and Nick realized how foolish their argument had turned into. She needed them to reconcile so she could have her life back.

Mikayla felt a hand clasp hers. He didn't need to speak. She knew it was Daxton. She'd memorized his touch long ago. She squeezed his hand back. He was her determination. She could be a good friend and get a chance to be alone with Daxton. She needed to. Cameron's earlier comment had simply accelerated her need. She had to take as much from him before it was all gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Always ✔ By KIRA

Teen Fiction

287K 11.6K 51
[COMPLETED] Logan and I were the nerds of Whitney High but it's not like we cared. I was his other half and he was mine. Best friends - we called ea...
122K 8.1K 43
When a total stranger knows what eats you, maybe they are your one true love. Even if you don't know it yet. || On Friday the 13th, two twenty-someth...
72K 3.2K 50
Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving away in her convertible and leaving her pa...
3.9M 107K 44
When a professional football player finds out he has a daughter with the love of his life from high school, what could go wrong? Season 3 of My Broth...