The Player's Best Friend (Com...

By vonnievong

•••Excerpt••• I walked Vivian up to her apartment. During the ride back she couldn't stop talking about the... More

The Player's Best Friend
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue

Chapter 5

81.9K 2.3K 259
By vonnievong

Vivian's POV

     It's Saturday. The horrible shopping spree I have to attend with the gracious Alise. *Not the sarcasm here people!

     Apparently, she needed new outfits for her next go-see because she refused to wear the same thing twice. What a waste of money, right? There's this thing called mixing and matching but, apparently she doesn’t believe in repeating anything.

This girl will be the end of me.

"What do you think of this one?" she stepped out of the changing room in a tight white number. The neckline was dipped low, very low, and it had thin straps.

"It looks great, Alise." I said for the hundredth time today.

"Mmm you sure? I think my butt looks big in this one. It's like expanded or something." she said as she looked in the mirror with her rear end facing it.

"No, your butt looks fine. I assure you. And no, it's not too big. It's proportionate actually."

"You're a fashion designer right?"

"Yes, how do you think I know about what fits your body type?" I asked sarcastically.

 "Maybe we should work together sometime. I mean, I'm sure Richy has told you how great I am during photo shoots, and besides you did just say I have a great body too." she said while looking at herself in different angles.

"Okay. First of all, I never said you had a great body; I said that it's proportional. And yes, Rich has told me about your professionalism. But I'm just not looking for any models right now. I still don't even have all the pieces together." I said to her as kindly as possible.

"Well proportionate, great body-same difference. So you would hire me though right? Since I know me and you have something in common here." she pointed out.

"Pray tell, what would that be?"

"Richard." And with that she walked back into the changing room.

I. Hate. My. Life.

     We were eating at the cafe but, of course the food has too many calories or she doesn't like it. So she's basically eating green leaves. It has no right to be called a salad, while I had some spicy sesame chicken with fried rice. And yes, she commented on my eating habits.

"You know it has a lot of calories?'

"It goes straight to your hips."

"Ew, what do they put in that sauce?"

"I wouldn't be caught dead eating that."

Well, if she were dead, I would stuff her mouth with my awesome Chinese take-out just to spite her.

      It's finally over. Alise just couldn't stop complaining on how I don't take care of myself. She thinks it's because I'm lacking in my sex life. Now that was a low blow. My ego definitely took a turn.

     As promised, I was a good friend to her since she didn't have any. But there's only so much a girl can take. And apparently I'm also her slave. I was currently waiting for her outside the entrance of the mall while she "freshened up." I don't even know what she's freshening up for.

"Do you have a quarter, lady?" a cute, little girl asked. She was beyond adorable. Her ponytail was loosely hanging on her right shoulder and her pink shirt had "Daddy's Little Girl" in sparkly letters.

"Um, let me see if I have one." I grabbed my wallet from my satchel and took out a quarter handing it to the girl.

"Thank you!" she squealed.

      She ran towards the candy machine; I saw a woman who looked to be an older version of the little girl run up to her, scooping her in her arms. She must be her mother. The resemblance was uncanny. A man later came towards the two, hugging the woman and carrying the child. It was sweet. A family. A very close to perfect family.

     I never had a perfect household growing up, but who did? My parents' divorce wasn't a tragic, dramatic fight to the death. It was more of a I-don't-love-you-anymore-so-let's-split kinda divorce. Both my parents are on good terms with each other, and they even found someone new. I'm happy for them, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have the two parent household: the protective dad, the loving mom, and maybe even a pest of a sibling.

     Because I didn't have that, I guess it makes me want that in my own family. I sighed. I really need to get a guy before I even considered marriage and kids. But what if the guy I want is already taken?

     I walked into the mall, and made a bee line to the girl's restroom. What the hell is taking her so long? Just as I was about to turn the corner, I caught myself and hid behind the corner.

     There she was. Making out with some guy outside the restrooms. Alise's blonde hair was messy from a heated make out session, and the guy's back was turned towards me. I didn't recognize him, but he looked familiar from what I can see.

     But my only worry was how was I going to break it to Richard? I may want him, but not at the price of his pain.

     They broke apart and I quickly hid behind the wall. I was hyperventilating at this point. What if she saw me? I made my way back out the main entrance. I relished in the cold, fresh air. I started to take big breathes trying to calm myself.

"You ready?"

     I turned around and came face to face with Alise. There were no traces of her previous public display of infidelity. Not a hair out of place and her makeup was done to perfection. It unnerved me.

"Yep. Let's get out of here." I said as I made my way to the parking lot.

     We were sitting in my car heading to Starbuck's. Rich was going to meet us there and take her out to dinner. I'm 99.9% sure she's going to order a Garden salad with no tomatoes, ranch, or anything that's good in a salad. Not even the crunchy croutons.

     But what really annoyed me was how she could sit in my car reapplying her lipstick as if nothing ever happened. I slowed the car to a stop as I parked near the entrance. She flipped the mirror back up, and gracefully got out. While I, on the other hand, yanked my keys out the ignition and slammed my door shut as I got out.

"What's up your butt?" she questioned.

"Nothing." I muttered.

     I walked past her into Starbuck's and immediately saw Rich sitting at a table near the corner. I felt guilt take over me. I had to tell him. I just had to.

     He engulfed me in a hug, and I sunk into his warm embrace.

"You okay, Viv?" he whispered in my ear.

"Yeah. I'm...tired." I whispered back.

"I hope you girls had a good time." His hot breathe sent shivers throughout my whole body.

     Then he pulled away from me and hugged Alise while giving her peck on the lips. Ugh. Too much lipstick.

"Hope you girls don't mind, but I already ordered." he said kindly.

  “Take a seat, ladies.” He pulled out Alise’s seat. I guess that’s what you get if you’re his girlfriend. But me? I’m just the best friend. I seated myself.

   I sat across from Rich, and Alise took the seat beside him. It was… awkward to say the least. I was playing with my hands under the table, Alise was again reapplying her lipstick, and Rich was sitting there uncomfortably.

“So how'd the shopping go?" Rich asked to break the tension.

"I bought this hot dress and some killer heels and oh my God, I got a deal on this cute, black clutch..."

     After about thirty minutes of her babbling on the latest sales, she had to take a call from her agent about her debut in a winter line. Now, it was just me and Rich at the table.

"How did it really go? In your perspective, of course." Rich grinned.

"Ugh, it was horrible! She shops way more than I do, and she took forever to pick a dress and- Wait. Why are you smiling like that? You're enjoying this aren't you?!" I accused.

     He snickered and I got up from my seat and took the seat beside him. I waited patiently for him to stop laughing.

"Okay, I'm done. Now you know how I feel when I wait for you. But you see why I needed a break from her right?"

     I swiftly punched him in the arm and relished in his hiss of pain.

“That’s for enjoying my time of suffering.”

     He was clutching his arm in pain, but he was still laughing. I tried to hide my smile, but failed miserably. It started to quiet down into a peaceful silence between us. But the peace is about to be disturbed.

"Why are you with her?" I quietly asked.

"Why do you ask?" he had a confused expression on his face.

"Rich, if you really like someone you shouldn't want breaks. It's not supposed to be that way. You should want to be with them all the time."

"Look, I know she's a bit rough, but once you get to know her, she's amazing. It just takes a while for her to open up to people that's all." he reasoned.

"I'm sure she has no problem opening up to anyone." I scoffed at the double meaning of my words.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" he defended.

“So now you’re defending her?” I bit back.

“Viv, what the hell is going on?" he asked seriously.

"I just want what's best for-"

"Viv, just tell m-"

"She's cheating on you."

     The awkward tension fell over us once again. There was noise everywhere around us in the Starbuck's, but the silence between us stretched on for miles.

"I don't believe you." he said in a low voice.

"Rich, I saw it with my own eyes-"

"Just stop it, Viv."

"No you have to believe me. I would never lie to yo-"

"No! That's enough. I don't have to do anything. This argument isn't going anywhere." he got up and put on his coat.

"I'll mail you the ticket for the show." And that was the last thing he said to me as he walked out of Starbuck's and helped Alise into his car.

     And the only thing I could do was watch from the window as they drove off.

     I kept repeating the words 'you will not cry' as I drove back to my apartment. Needless to say, it didn't work out. I was just about to walk to the elevator, but stopped when I saw something that caught my eye. I walked towards the wall that held the rows of  mailboxes within it.

     I lifted the lid and a small, white envelope fell to the ground. I bent down to pick it up and turned it over to see a message written in bold, masculine handwriting.

I'd recognize that handwriting anywhere.

" 'Have a great trip.' " I read aloud.

     There was no term of endearment. No funny faces. No x's or o's. Not even a sexual innuendo. It was clipped and straight to the point. I carefully opened the envelope and there it was: one ticket to the 72nd Annual Winter Fashion Exhibition. I guess he won't be going with me.

     I felt a tear run down my cheek. I wiped it away with the sleeve of my coat and got up from my position. I tucked the envelope into my purse. As I got into the elevator, I convinced myself that this was for the best. For the both of us.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Thanks for reading! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 7.1K 41
Kingston Series #3 THE THIRD BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SERIES! Following his father, brother and grandfather's footsteps Trevor makes it to the NFL and l...
1K 130 23
Mila has been a good girl all her life until Michael broke her heart. She doesn't trust no guy and feel like they all are players. So for relief she...
6.7K 1.3K 72
"I..." "Stop it!" he shouts, stopping me in mid sentence "I hate you." "B-But why? Why do you hate me?" "Oh! You know the reason." "If I would've...
12.1K 240 57
Two broken souls in the midst of a crazy world. Two souls running away from their past. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel was c...