Preordained #ProjectNigeria

By Ad_zy1

When Maduka meets Nwanyieze, he is certain they are meant to be. He knows she is a woman with secrets, but he... More

ATTENTION! READ THIS FIRST!
1- Queen Of The Night
2- Maduka
3- The Next Day
4- The Party
5- It's Maduka to You
6- Memories
7- Good Morning
8- My Baby
9- Shall We, Then?
10- Quilox
11- Pride Goeth Before A Fall
12- Midnight Date
13- Scars
14- Babysitting 101
15- Distractions
17- Imma Care For You
18- Trapped
19- Are You Asking Me Out On A Date?
20- Good, Smart Girl.
21- You'll Let Me Do What I Like
22- Mammy Wata
23- Some Wounds Never Heal
24- Oops!
25- Patience
26- I Never Asked For Anything
27- You Go Lose Control
28- Preordained
29- Rebounds
30- Olfactory Stimulation
31- Discovery
32- Finessed Or Not?
33- Queen
34- Getting There
35- Doomed
36- I Love You Dangerously
37- Now Or Never
38- Surprise!
39- I Know She Knows.
40- Still Beautiful
41- Halfway
42- A Bold Step
43- Maduka?
44- Circle
45- The Lost Boy
46- The Message
47- Not Mine
48- It Is Written
49- Keeping Secrets
50- A Call
51- Palm Wine
52-No Justice
53- What Saheed Said
54- Back To Reality
55- Welcome Back!
56- Ultimatum
57- The Meeting
58- Coincidence
59- The Party II
60- Mission Accomplished?
61- Teaser
62- It's Complicated
63- Another Angle
64- Green Light
65- You Remind Me
66- Happiness
67- A Memoir
68- Opportunities
69- New Experiences
70- Complete
Important Notice.
Publishing

16- Redemption Song

5.4K 804 102
By Ad_zy1

Nwanyieze's POV:

I'm actually having fun.

"More chicken suya?" Maduka asks me.

We are resting underneath a rented raffia hut after frolicking at the shoreline. Noel rests on Maduka's chest, busy with a squishy ball he has given her. Each time she squeezes the ball, it lets out a squeaky sound that makes her squeal in glee. Max and Prince are busy on a mat spread on the sand, playing a racing game on Maduka's iPad.

"Sure," I reply, reaching out to take a spicy chicken wing from the newspaper wrap.

"They're not even as good as the University of Suya," he says.

Remembering how pepper had gotten into his eye and how he'd loped off without water to clean it off, I laugh.

He frowns at me. "Don't tell me you still find my predicament funny even now."

"Okay, I won't tell you."

"Onion breath."

"Pepper eye."

We are silent for a moment before bursting into a fit of laughter. Noel is startled at first, raising her head from Maduka's chest to look up at him. But she recovers and returns her head to that position, only this time she seems to concentrate with her ear right there as she listens to his deep laughter rumble in his chest.

Suddenly I wish I could do the same.

"Kaka, thunda," she says, clapping her hands.

"She has likened my laughter to thunder," he tells me before fondly kissing her cheek.

"More?" she asks, small hands holding his head in place.

"Of course, sweetheart," Maduka replies and gives her three more smacking kisses on her cheeks.

I watch the scene with a smile on my face, remembering the times I thought the world was such a wonderful place, full of rainbows and nice people. How lovely I must have looked at her age, full of laughter and brimming with innocence.

"How's school so far?" Maduka asks.

It takes me a moment to snap out of my thoughts, process his question, and come up with an answer.

"Educative?" I ask/reply.

He chuckles and asks, "What are your plans after studying?"

"Going into journalism big time, of course."

What I don't tell him is that I plan to start a magazine focusing on women of colour and bringing to light abuse on children, especially girls, and press the government to severely punish the offenders. I plan to spread love amongst females and strengthen the bonds between us, increasing the level of girl power.

"You can do it," he says, startling me.

Did I say my plans out loud? I wonder. "What?" I ask.

"You can do whatever you set out to do. You're smart, intelligent, beautiful and sassy. Plus, you seem like the type to get whatever you want. You'll flourish in your chosen field. You are, after all, a queen. Our names follow us."

He has no idea how much his words have touched me and how much they mean to me. I'm even surprised at myself.

"Thank you," I say with a smile. Suddenly I need to get out of that hut. "Oh," I say, holding up my small cell phone, "I've got a phone call."

I get up and fly out of the hut. Alone at the shoreline, I let my tears fall freely.

You can do it.

My future has always scared me shitless. I've taken to accepting everyday as it comes, and regardless of my plans and how beneficial they will be to my target audience, it scares me to think of what would happen if I fail. Deep down, I know that my fear of failure comes from the lifestyle I'm living.

What if I fail?

Maduka's POV~

Did I say something wrong?

I know she has no phone call, but I don't say anything when she literally disappears from the hut. For starters, I saw no back light when she showed me her phone. It's obvious she wants to get away from me for a while.

Picking Noel up, I move to the entrance of the hut and see her a few metres away, standing at the shoreline with the water swirling around her, a lone figure with her hair whipping around her head in the breeze.

What goes on in her mind? I wonder, trying to quell the desperation in me. I'm desperate to know more about her.

No, scratch that bull.

I'm desperate to know everything about her, starting from when I'd left her at the orphanage to when I saved her from the pool at Saheed's party.

Does she have any memories of me somewhere in the back of her mind?

I highly doubt it.

I watch her turn and walk back towards me in slow, leisurely steps. She's truly a masterpiece and the God who created her must have taken his time. He must have known what he wanted to create: A Chocolate Goddess.

Her hips sway without effort (and I'm sure without her knowledge, too) as she places one leg in front of the other. Her eyes are fixed on mine, and let me tell you, it feels like she is literally reaching out her hands to touch me.

Noel reaches out for her as she approaches, finally deciding that she likes Nwanyieze.

"Fwend," she says with a giggle.

Nwanyieze takes her into her arms and raises a brow at me. "Did you finally tell her to accept me?"

"I told her you're a very funny person and that did the trick. She likes funny people."

"Oh, thanks," she replies sarcastically.

"Always welcome."

"More yogurt," demands Prince from the mat.

"They're always hungry," I complain.

"They're growing, unlike you. You've reached your maximum height."

"Please, no more growing for me. My height is a topic at home. My brothers call me Goliath."

She laughs at this news and gently pushes me aside by placing a hand on my chest. The contact makes my heart skip a beat.

You need to dunk yourself in seawater, Maduka, I tell myself.

We all stroll along the shoreline, swim a bit, take horse rides for the third time (at Noel's insistence) and dance along with a small crowd to drum beats. I enjoy every moment of it, and wish I can bring Nwanyieze back here, and enjoy this alone with her.

While driving home, she goes silent again, staring out the window.

"What're you always thinking about?" I finally ask.

The children are fast asleep, bodies in the funny, boneless way that only children are capable of achieving. They are very exhausted and this makes me happy because it means a quiet night for me.

"Everything," she replies simply.

"Care to specify?"

"I had a great time today. Thank you so much."

"Thank you so much for coming along. It means a lot to me."

I turn on the CD player and Bob Marley's Redemption Song begins to play.

"Wonderful," she says with a smile, and then begins to sing along. "You know Bob Marley must have seen the future when he sang this song, right?"

"I've always thought the same."

" 'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'. I'm pretty sure white supremacy must have pissed him off a lot. It's time for us to stand up. No race is superior and these white leaders who think they can rule the world had better think twice."

This is one of the things I love to do, sit down and talk about deep topics with people. Find out how they reason, how they feel about some matters and how they deal with them.

"I think I'm in love with you already," I joke.

"That's ridiculous." She laughs, throwing back her head. "Very ridiculous."

"Say you'll marry me so we'll elope."

"You're too funny. I like that."

I grin like a schoolboy who has just been complimented by his long-time crush.

"How long shall they kill our prophets, while we stand aside and look?" she sings/asks me.

I can't resist joining her in singing, and by the time were at my place, darkness has fallen and we've been through all the songs on the CD twice.

I find myself wishing that the journey had lasted longer, so I could hear her sing some more.

In an hour, we have given the children baths, dressed and fed them.

"I'm not hungry," she replies when I offer her food. "I really have to be going now, it's almost 9:00pm."

She's dressed again in her shorts and dashiki shirt, holding her bag. We are in my sitting room, where I'm watching her pack her hair into a bun.

"I'll get you an Uber, then."

"I can find a yellow cab easily," she insists, running towards the front door.

I grab her wrist and she turns to look up at me, barely making it past my shoulder.

"I insist on getting you an Uber. I want you to get home in the most comfortable condition, and it's the least I can do for you after all your help."

She sees I'm going to stick to my guns, and so Nwanyieze sighs and nods. "Fine. Thanks."

We both sit on the long sofa.

"By the way, tell me: did I say something wrong at the beach? Why did you leave like that?" I ask, trying to make conversation. I am mainly curious, actually.

"I had a phone call to answer."

"We both know you didn't," I reply, my eyes fixed on hers.

"Don't start interrogating me," she huffs.

I can sense her withdrawing from me and I mentally kick myself for wanting to know much more than she can allow.

"I'm sorry," I say, raising my palms in surrender.

"It's okay," she replies softly.

My phone beeps, signalling that the Uber taxi has arrived. I escort her outside and speak with the driver, a wiry young man dressed in a black shirt and jeans. I tell him the address.

"Good night, Nwanyieze," I tell her.

She surprises me by wrapping her arms around me. Her scent wafts up to my nostrils and her warmth is delicious against me.

"Thank you so much for today, Maduka. It was so much fun."

"Thank you, too."

"Pepper eye."

"Onion breath."

We both laugh, still hugging, and then she slides into the back seat of the car and is gone, leaving me still feeling warm in the cool Lagos breeze.

Nwanyieze's POV~

It sounded wonderful, hearing him laugh with my ear on his chest.

No wonder Noel was so pleased.

Throughout the ride home, I feel warm on the inside.

Is redemption for me, too?

A/N-- Hi, guys! So finally I got my lazy ass up and updated. So by now I guess you know I'm into (G)old music (hehe AkangYamato )
Thanks so much for your support. Got any questions? Ask away. And remember, you can be redeemed. Don't ever think you're beyond saving.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.5K 4.3K 38
"Where am I?" "That's none of your concern." "If my location isn't my concern, then whose is it?" "Mine, and I know, so you're fine." He finally was...
3.1K 324 61
Two inseparable best friends are finally separated as Seyi Oyefeso goes off to the UK to complete his studies and Jemima Olatunji stays back in Niger...
13.6K 2.6K 39
What is your spec? I mean those qualities you desire your future partner to possess? Definitely not being way below in the social ladder right? Espec...
56.8K 8.7K 31
Wattysng2020 Completed✅ #1 in Nigerianromance. .............................. The story of a young, beautiful lady named Sola, who has dreams and...