Hand Over Fist

Por bloodsword

Like a phoenix, they arose. From the ashes of a world burnt by massive nuclear holocaust and frozen by a mil... Mais

Prologue: A Birth in Burning
Chapter 1: Gideon
Conclave
Chapter 2: Prison
Blood Canyon
First Contact
Chapter 3: Primiad
The Clans
Eluding Capture
Chapter 4: Elves
The General Staff
Sirocco
Extraction
Chapter 5: Cetacea
Boomslang
Casualties of War
Chapter 6: Ursa
A New World
Reborn Hope
Chapter 7: Noranda
A Renewed Mission
Chapter 8: Pantor
The Council
Escape
Chapter 9: Ryon
A Back Door
Captured
Chapter 10: The Puzzle's Final Piece
Going Home
Preparations
Chapter 11: Lupus
Final Recon
Approach of the Vanguard
Chapter 12: Siege
Chapter 13: The Horde's Assault
Final Preparations
Blades of Chaos
Chapter 14: Loose Threads
Formations of Old
Dark Tide
Chapter 15: Let Loose the Bears of War!
Hammer and Wedge
Hunting for an Emperor
Epilogue: Introspection

The Protectorate

10K 433 17
Por bloodsword

Cutting through the forest, van Joss quickly led the small group of travelers due west, according to the map they had taken from the Ryon surveyors.  They would go for a day in that direction before heading southwest, towards the Pantor Protectorate.  With any luck, they would penetrate the northern borders of the Protectorate in less than a week.

As it turned out, that estimate was more than generous.  It was only after almost two and a half weeks that the small party finally reached the northern borders of the Protectorate.  It was as van Joss, acting as scout, pressed through a thicket of dense brush that he found himself looking on the telltale marker, a simple stone obelisk, which marked the border itself.  The Protectorate had gone through a great deal of time and effort to make sure all of its borders were marked with the obelisks.  More so than any other Fisted Race.

Van Joss nodded in grim satisfaction.  If they were to turn in either direction and travel along the borderline, it would simply be a matter of time before they ran across a Pantor border garrison.  The Protectorate was almost as fanatical about maintaining their border garrisons, as they were their borders.  But the slender operative didn’t want to encounter the elite Pantor border guards.

Instead he wanted their small party to press deep into the Protectorate itself.  Hopefully, with any luck and not a small amount of skill, they would be able to avoid any major towns and make their way to the Protectorate capital at Ven Devisol.  He grimaced as he turned to quickly make his way back to Longspear and Salina where they waited for him back under cover.

The penetration of Ven Devisol itself would be nothing less than a minor miracle.  Van Joss pondered it the entire way as he backtracked.  As far as he knew, in all his years as an operative for Gideon, nobody had successfully penetrated the hidden Protectorate capital.  And certainly nobody had seen the secretive Directors, who ran the Fisted nation from a fortress in the capital’s heart.  ‘Now things are going to get interesting!’ he mused darkly as he pushed aside a last bit of cover to find Longspear and Salina.

“I’ve found the border,” he announced tersely.  “We need to move, and quickly.  The Protectorate patrols its borders frequently and in force!”

Nodding, Longspear stood and quickly reached out to give Salina a hand up.  Then, after gathering themselves and their gear, they pushed into the dense forest on van Joss’s heels.  As expected, the slender operative led them along a twisting trail, with many difficult and treacherous cutbacks, each designed to throw pursuers off.  Longspear almost smiled as she thought about that, ducking at the last minute to avoid a branch in the face from van Joss in front of her.

It didn’t matter to the slender operative that they had been traveling virtually all alone through the forest these past few days.  Deep in the paranoid reaches of his darkened mind, he felt like they were being followed.  Thus the precautions.  The funny thing about it was that he was almost always right about those feelings.  

Following the thin operative closely and doing what he did, Longspear reckoned they should be able to easily penetrate the border without being detected.  ‘Now, all I hope is that we reach the capital in one piece,’ she thought, pushing through yet another clump of thick foliage.

The obelisk that van Joss had spotted quickly slid by them, partially hidden by the dense forest as they pressed on.  From this point on they would be observing silence, speaking only when absolutely necessary as they continued their breakneck pace.

And so it was almost five days of complete silence between the three before van Joss abruptly pulled them to a halt.  As they crouched at the man’s hand signal, the soft rustling of moving branches and trod upon undergrowth reached their ears.

Almost without warning the Pantor soldiers stepped out of the trees, their boiled leather armor painted in dappled greens and browns, effective camouflage here, deep in the heart of the northern forest.  Two were the black furred Pantor, the original founders of the Protectorate.  With them strode the lean, tawny shapes of several Pumor, making up the bulk of the patrol.

Descendants of the Puma, or mountain lion, the Pumor were much faster and agile than their cousins, the Pantor.  They had been annexed into the Protectorate during its second wave of expansion, almost three hundred years ago.  The Nitan followed shortly afterwards, their Tigris-like clan structure unable to summon the discipline to defeat the determined Pantor armies.  Up to that point both the Pumor and the Nitan had their own kingdoms that ran along the southern border of the Golden Kingdom of the Ryon.  After being swallowed up, their skilled and dangerous warriors were pressed into service for the Protectorate.

It was because of the presence of so many Pumor that van Joss’s eyes narrowed thoughtfully as he quickly calculated the odds.  If they were discovered and were forced to fight, there was a good chance that at least one of them would die rather quickly, if not more.  And while he could vouch for his own skills and abilities, Longspear was still a somewhat unknown quality.  Salina he didn’t even consider a combatant.

So he waved them even lower into the undergrowth, his bright eyes watching every movement of the slow moving, equally cautious Pantor patrol.

The Pantor, however, remained oblivious to the humans’ and Salina’s presence as they continued on their way, passing along what looked to be an established pathway.  Still, van Joss waited a good half hour before he even twitched.

Glancing over his shoulder, he silently mouthed to Longspear.

‘Town nearby.  Cut south to avoid.’  At Longspear’s nod, van Joss eased up out of his crouch and slowly made his way forward, glancing several times up and down the trail the Pantor had passed along, all of his senses tuned.

Thankfully nothing reached them, after another ten minutes of waiting.  Finally satisfied, van Joss led the tiny party southward.  And thus they made their cautious way through the heart of the Protectorate, often making wide detours to avoid fortified towns or fortresses that van Joss discovered while scouting ahead.

It was part way through the second week of traveling through Pantor territory that van Joss sent Longspear ahead to scout out their path while he made sure they weren’t being followed.  As the lean operative stepped back into their small place of concealment where they had Salina waiting for them, he found Longspear already waiting for him.  An excited smile was on her suntanned face.

“The capital?” he whispered softly and she nodded quickly.

“As far as I can tell,” she replied.  “At least from what I remember of the Tigris descriptions of the place.”

“Only one way to find out for sure,” van Joss rasped, settling his pack on his bony shoulders.

“In we go!”

The small trio carefully made its way through the forest, following Longspear’s cautious lead.  And so both van Joss and Salina pulled up short when the female operative waved them down.  Inching forward, van Joss worked his way through the bush to Longspear’s side.

“What’s the problem?” he whispered softly, barely audible as a breeze began to rustle its way through the heavy boughs above.

But Longspear didn’t answer.  Instead, she pointed through their cover towards the mass that was Ven Devisol.  Moving a couple of hand spans closer, van Joss’s eyes narrowed as he scanned the barely visible city down in the slight valley on whose wall they now crouched.

Indeed the massive city was located roughly in the center of what looked like a circular depression of some sort, almost like the worn remains of a crater.  Van Joss had seen plenty of craters just like this one in the Black Lands, which was still haunted by the blue death of the Great Burn.  This one, however, was old and fully overgrown by the forest, its crater walls softened by erosion and hundreds of years of plant growth.

Draped over by vines, thick trees and dense brush, like a verdant cloak of green, Ven Devisol took full advantage of the forest to crouch hidden beneath its protection.  Even its thick and heavy walls were almost completely hidden by vines and trees.  But, from everything that van Joss had ever heard about the place, it was War painted green.  The thick vines and forest growth hid not only a city, but a virtual fortress, literally teeming with the cream of the Pantor’s military might, ready to lash out at anything the Directors felt was a threat.

It was now their duty to somehow make their way past what was easily touted as the best defense the Fisted Races had to offer.

Van Joss glanced over at Longspear as she lightly touched his arm.  At his questioning look, she pointed to something else she had spotted just to the southwest of the city.  To an area partially cleared for agricultural purposes.  An area seething with activity.

Van Joss frowned.  Now what was this?  Some sort of troop movement?  Or were the Directors bringing in civilians as preparation for something greater?  He twisted slightly to open his pack and pull out his distance tube.

Quickly setting the device up, he pointed it in the direction of the disturbance and placed his eye on the view piece.  And almost immediately the lean operative began to swear under his breath.

“Problem?” Longspear husked.  In reply van Joss handed her the tube.  She quickly raised it to her eye as she swung it to bear on the disturbance.

The cleared area immediately leapt into clear view.  To reveal the all too familiar surge of Primiad soldiers as they hammered away at a determined Pantor perimeter.

“By the Maker,” she hissed, dropping the tube away from her eye.  “The Primiad have beat us here!”

“We spent too long in the forest trying to avoid their towns,” van Joss pointed out grimly, his thin face in the shadows.  “That gave the Primiad time to overcome the Imperium and move on to the Protectorate, the next northern target.”  The lean operative made no attempt to stay quiet now, with the Primiad attacking furiously below.  He looked over at Salina.

“Your countrymen are even more determined than we first anticipated.”

But before the slender Primiad princess could reply, Longspear waved them quickly into silence.  Something had reached her ears through van Joss’s low, bitter voice.  Something that was moving through the forest very nearby!

Almost tossing the distance tube back to van Joss, she rolled over to grab at her knives.  Only to find herself staring up at the grim face of a powerful Lupus, its right arm in a grimy sling.  But the heavy sword it cared in its left looked more than serviceable enough.  And that sword was pointing directly at the center of her chest.  She swallowed tightly.  ‘This is not good.’  She thought darkly as the big Lupus looked her over with its dark eyes.

Then, as if it had reached some sort of decision in its head, it turned slightly and made a soft coughing sound low in its throat.  Immediately a full dozen Lupus soldiers eased their way out of the bush.  And, amazingly enough, striding in their midst was no less than Captain Kelly, the big elf looking battered and worn.

“Kelly??” Longspear said in disbelief and the elven soldier smiled raggedly.

“Captain Longspear,” he acknowledged with a slight bow of his head as the Lupus surrounded their small group.

“Van Joss, Salina.  We meet again.”

“Indeed,” van Joss quietly and somewhat drily noted, glancing around at the grim circle of Lupus that now surrounded him.  The crack Kanid shock troops seemed drained, worn to the point of fragility, as if the defeat of their nation had somehow weakened them.  Still they were formidable warriors, not to be taken lightly.

“You somehow have survived the attack on our party by the Primiad, as well as the fall of the Kanid Imperium.  You have my congratulations.”

The big elf smiled again and nodded.

“And you have mine, van Joss.  It would seem that the ELIF have underestimated your human resilience.”  Abruptly the smile fell away and the elf was as grim as the Kanid soldiers he accompanied.

“As you have already surmised, the Imperium is no more.  Her legions are scattered and her people flee to the north, just barely ahead of the Primiad hordes.”  The big elf’s face grew even grimmer.  “The initial Primiad assault force has been reinforced, though the main army has yet to land.  Some force destroyed most of their fleet before they could launch.  But, according to the prisoners we have captured, they are quickly laboring to rebuild that fleet.  Most recent estimates put its completion within three weeks.”  Kelly glanced at the circle of Lupus around them.

“This small group of shock troops is commanded by Major Ephrim.  He has more information for you.”

One of the big Lupus stepped forward, a rather dark looking individual with a multitude of scars on his face and arms.

  “Major,” van Joss acknowledged, switching from the elven tongue to the Kanid language.  “Kelly says you have information for me??”

“Yes,” Ephrim confirmed with a rumble, his voice sounding more like an avalanche than anything else, powerful and pervasive.  “The elf has convinced our surviving commanders to side with the humans against the Primiad which threaten our combined lands.  As ranking officer, I now report to you.”  Van Joss couldn’t help the slight smile that touched his lips.  Lupine shock troops reporting to him?  How droll!  At van Joss’s acknowledging nod, Ephrim went on.

“As Kelly has pointed out, the bulk of our legions have been destroyed.  But several key elements have survived the fall of the Imperium and are mustering to the north.  To this place that Kelly has indicated the combined forces of Noranda are to gather.”

There Ephrim paused, actually glancing at his command as if asking them whether he should continue.  When the others either looked away or down at the ground, the big Lupus cleared his throat, a sound that sent a shiver down both Longspear’s and Salina’s backs.

“We also report that a majority of the Imperial family was killed in the fall of the capital, despite the efforts of the Blood Guard and the legions that guarded them.”  Ephrim swallowed tightly, as if the effort of speaking was suddenly almost too much for him.

Knowing the amount of honor and pride the Lupus, indeed the Kanid legions themselves took in their ability to protect both the Imperium and the Emperor’s family, van Joss instantly understood the depression that settled over the big Lupus like a cloak.  Still, he couldn’t afford to have the big soldier lock up on him now.

“Go on, major,” he softly urged, eyes narrowing as he focusing on the Lupus’ elongated face.

“Sir,” Ephrim managed, clearing his throat once again.  “We report that, while the most of the family has been destroyed by those thrice damned Primiad, we were able to smuggle out of the dying city the Heir to the throne, as well as the Emperor’s eldest daughter.”

There was a soft rustling sound and the Lupus parted to let two Kanids step through, both dirty and battered looking.  One was a young male, perhaps ten cycles of age, the other a young female perhaps twenty cycles in age.  She had her arm around the shoulders of the young male, both dressed as peasants.  Still, there was an air about them that van Joss could only describe as imperial.

The young female bowed her head slightly as she gazed at the slender human operative who now held their fates in his hands.

“We are in your debt, Master Spy,” she said softly.  “It is the efforts of your people that may see Noranda’s salvation from out of the depths of the Primiad despair and destruction.”

Van Joss also bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement of the Kanid’s words before he spoke.

“A small payment for the debt we owe the world for the Great Burn, your Highness,” he replied smoothly.  Then he was all business once more.

“However, we now need to go down to the capital to convince the Directors that the Protectorate should also join the alliance.”  He grimaced.  “Which shouldn’t be difficult, considering they now have Primiad on their very doorstep.”

Van Joss looked over at Longspear.

“Ready?” he asked softly.  But before the human captain could reply, the Kanid princess spoke up.

“We wish to accompany you to the city, Master Spy,” she said quickly, forcing van Joss to look back over at her with a querulous expression.  As his intense eyes fell on her, she blushed slightly, something that made her rather attractive, for a Kanid, face that much more so.

But it was Major Ephrim that answered, not van Joss.

“But Princess Kata, surely you see that the lands surrounding the Pantor city are very dangerous, with the Primiad attacking.  I fear for your safety.”

The blush vanished as Kata turned cold eyes onto the big Lupus commander.

“Your concern is noticed, major.  However, I feel that if I add the weight of my words to those of Master van Joss, it may work more effectively in persuading the Directors to joining the alliance.”  Kata turned to face van Joss.  “Would you not agree, Master van Joss?”

Despite his own misgivings, and those of Longspear, van Joss was forced to agree.  Nodding slowly and somewhat reluctantly, he spoke.

“The princess has a point, major,” he said softly, tugging on his lower lip.  “The Directors would certainly be swayed by the fact that their largest neighbor has joined the alliance.  If she wants to come along, I will do nothing to stop her.”

A curiously satisfied smile began to grow on Kata’s face as Ephrim stammered a protest.

“But, sir, Princess Kata is vital to the survival of the Imperium!” he rumbled tightly, a look of almost panic on his gray furred face.  “I cannot allow her to step into a situation where her person is in danger!”

“The princess will be more than safe with me, major,” van Joss quickly replied, making a hand check of his weapons and gear.  “So you can put that fear to bed.  As for you and your command, I suggest you stay here and watch over the Heir.  Captain Longspear and myself, along with Princess Salina and Princess Kata will be all that will comprise our party.  The fewer we have, the less likely we will attract unwanted attention from the Pantor.”

“But, sir ...”  Ephrim began once more before van Joss silenced him with a glare from his intense green eyes.

“Did I leave that open to discussion, major?” he hissed tightly, his tone almost making the big Lupus cringe.  And it brought a small smile to Kelly’s face.  Again he had underestimated the standard human’s abilities.  His opinion of the lean operative improved once more.

“N-no, sir,” Ephrim stammered, obviously taken aback by van Joss’s abrupt change in demeanor.

“I thought not,” van Joss continued, not taking his eyes off the big Lupus.  “I understand you and your men are feeling responsible for the fall of the Imperium and the death of the bulk of the royal family.  But you’re Lupine shock troops, by the Maker.  Not some simpering mercenaries that tuck their tails between their legs when they get soundly thrashed!  And you’ve got a job to do: protect the Heir to the throne of the Kanid Imperium.”  The lean human stepped forward until he was almost in Ephrim’s face.

“Do you think you’re up to the task, major?” he asked in a cold, quiet voice, as if daring the big Lupus to refuse him.

Van Joss’s daring move, however, paid off.  Almost physically the Lupus seemed to shake himself, as if shrugging off the cloak of depression he had worn earlier, to stand ramrod straight.  At the same time an air of danger seemed to descend upon the powerful soldiers, the attitude they usually carried about themselves like an old friend.

The lean operative had seen that the Lupus seemed to be without a leader, or a purpose, for that matter.  Like a pack without an Alpha.  Lupus worked best when given direction and purpose.  And he needed this group to be working their best, if they were going to get out of the Protectorate in one piece.  So he decided to become that leader, that Alpha, and to instill a purpose in these soldiers.  Thankfully he was powerful enough that the gambit actually worked.  Much to both his, and Kelly’s surprise.

“Yes, sir!” the major barked, his new purpose filling him with strength.  As it did the others of his command, the Lupus collectively seeming to grow several hand spans in size as they straightened in place.

“Very good, major.  Now, hold this position and protect the prince, at all costs.  We will return shortly.”

“Sir,” Ephrim acknowledged with a slight bow of his head.  Then he was turning to snarl tight commands to his men, sending some into the forest to scout and others out to set up a defensive perimeter.

“Impressive,” Kelly stepped close to say in a low voice.  “But how did you know what to say to the big fella?”  Van Joss shrugged.

“I guessed.  Coming?”

                                    *                      *                      *                      *

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

3.8K 105 6
This short novel, 'Dark Souls: The First Flame', is a collection of short stories showing what Lordran, the city of lords, was like before the events...
564K 38.9K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...
23.2K 394 13
When Chu Qianxun was reborn and returned to the beginning of the apocalypse, she vowed to live a better life, live longer, and stay away from those d...
78.8K 1.5K 22
A story based on a couple I made up. This story is about a young woman who has always been treated badly for her looks. She always dreamed of a bette...