Chapter 9: Ryon

Longspear sighed as she carefully slid another piece of wood onto the small, smokeless fire.  It was nearing the end of her watch.  And the end of the two days they were supposed to wait for van Joss.

Dawn was a kiss of warm light that caressed the face of Noranda as it slowly spread from east to west, bringing the forest back to life around them.  But Longspear had dreaded first light.  It meant they would have to break camp and make for the Golden Kingdom without van Joss, the driving force behind the mission to unite the Fisted against the Primiad.

That, of course, also meant that the entire weight of the mission would come down squarely onto Longspear’s shoulders.  A burden she wasn’t sure she was ready to have.  Sure, she had run many missions deep behind Ryon lines before.  But always as part of a team, never the team’s leader.  And never before had she been involved with a mission so vitally important as this one was.

Abruptly a big form blocked out the fledgling dawn's growing light, forcing Longspear to look up.

“We can’t afford to wait any longer,” Kelly said slowly, speaking carefully to make sure he got the Gideon language correct.  “Van Joss either didn’t make it, or he’s going to attempt to join us in the Golden Kingdom.  Either way, we have to leave.”

Longspear nodded as she looked back down at the small fire.  Sighing, she stood.

“I know,” she admitted softly to the big elf.  “I just wanted to give him every opportunity, you know?”

“I understand.”  Kelly smiled reassuringly.  “I’ve waited for comrades after a battle many times myself.  But van Joss understood the risks, perhaps better than any of us.  And he knew this mission was vital.”

“I know, I know.”  Longspear heaved another sigh, glancing around their tiny camp.  “Without the alliance, all of Noranda is lost.”  Squaring her shoulders, she nodded, determined.  “Right, then.  Let us break camp and be on our way.  We've a long way to go before nightfall!”

After the tiny camp was bundled up and the small party was gathered, Longspear took a quick look around to orient herself.  Upon determining which direction was north, she strode firmly into the thick forest in that direction, eyes straight.  She went without looking back, knowing the others would follow.  And all she could do was hope that van Joss did survive the fall of Ven Devisol and would join them in the Ryon capital.  For the slender operative was just as vital to this mission, as the mission was to Noranda!

Cutting directly through the forest, bearing due north, it still took the small company almost another two weeks before they reached the Protectorate’s northern border.  As they traveled, they avoided Pantor, Pumor and Nitan settlements of all sizes, unsure as to their reception despite the agreement they reached with the Directors.  Especially since the vaunted council of Ven Devisol may not have survived the siege of the Protectorate capital.

That could mean that Protectorate assistance to the alliance woudn't happen, further weakening the already fragile union.  Regardless, they had to press on as if the Protectorate would still join the alliance or they ran the very real risk of losing everything else.

Despite their alliance and good relations with the Golden Kingdom, Longspear wasn’t surprised to find the Protectorate border with the Ryon heavily guarded despite the two being nominal allies.  Pantor paranoia was almost legendary.  It would be out of character if they hadn’t of protected the border.

But what did surprise the Gideonite was the fact that the border garrisons were in a state of extreme agitation, sending heavy patrols into the forests in every direction.  It took all of Longspear and Kelly’s combined skills to elude them, sometimes by the narrowest of margins.