Wolf

By vanishing-dragons44

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," a deep voice speaks up, rougher than usual with sleep. My fingers wrap a... More

Notes
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Note
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Note
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
UPDATE
Another update!
Playlist #1
Art!
More Art!
Playlist #2

Prologue

33.9K 824 83
By vanishing-dragons44

We were surrounded.

I whipped around, snarling as my claws dug into the foreign soil beneath my paws. Rowan was at my back, an unfamiliar wolf at my front. The only thing I could hear was the shifting of paws in the underbrush, the snapping of razor sharp teeth, the vicious growls that rumbled in chests. Fear tickled my stomach, making my heart pound. My black fur bristled, standing on end as my lips curled back and I snapped at one wolf who was getting too close for comfort. My flank brushed against Rowan's as I moved, never allowing my gaze to leave our attackers, hardly daring to blink.

A howl split the air, sending a chill down to my bones. Rowan visibly stiffened next to me, and I could feel my own muscles tensing, ready for a fight we were sure to lose. The last thing I expected was to see a man walk through the ranks of snarling, bloodthirsty wolves.

He walked with a confidence that only power can give, gray eyes sparking. He stunk of alpha. Now, my fear was deep set, and I couldn't help but avert my gaze from his.

"I'm sure that Alpha Kimmet will be glad to hear I've found his lost pup," the man spoke up, and a low growl bubbled up in my throat. I was answered with snarls and flashing eyes as wolves stepped forward, but they quickly died down as the alpha raised his hand. "I'm sure we can all manage to be civilized until then?" he said it like a question, but I knew that it wasn't. Another growl escaped me, and it was with great reluctance that I shifted back into my human form. Rowan did the same next to me, brown fur melting away to reveal dark skin as his bones reconstructed themselves. I felt powerless, surrounded by massive wolves three times my size.

Someone within the crowd surrounding us threw two pairs of shorts that landed just in front of us, and Rowan and I each pulled a pair on before standing. My own blue gaze met the alpha's harsh gray eyes, and a low growl pried its way from my chest and through my teeth. The alpha's smile was mocking, and it was the last thing I saw as a sharp pain cracked across the back of my skull and I tumbled to the ground, everything going black.

The next time I woke, my eyes peeled themselves open, a fogginess clouding my mind and making my vision blurry. Above me, moonlight filtered through the canopy of green. I vaguely noted that my wrists were bound with thick chain that was cold against my skin before I fell back into unconsciousness.

My eyes snapped open. The ceiling above me was made of gray concrete and the bed below me may as well have been made from stiff, wooden boards. I groaned, head pounding as I pressed the heels of my hands into my eyes. "James?" I moved my hands and opened my eyes to see Rowan standing over me, a frantic expression coloring his features. "James c'mon! We have to figure a way out of here!"

"That won't be necessary," another voice replied, and I sat up so quickly I almost headbutted Rowan. My head snapped around so that I was staring through the bars of our cell at a man with dark eyes and darker hair. I glared, hardening my eyes and wiping any and all emotion from my face.

"What are you talking about?" I snapped.

"Some other vermin from your pack" -I growled at that- "came to fetch you," he replied, sounding almost bored if not a little remorseful.

"Who?" Rowan demanded, standing up straighter and stepping forward. I stood as well, crossing my arms over my chest and coming up to my full height; a good few inches taller than the stranger. He didn't look very impressed, shrugging instead of answering Rowan's question.

"I guess we'll find out," he replied nonchalantly. I grit my teeth in irritation, hands tightening into fists.

"Let's go then," I spat. A tight, rather angry smile curling the man's lips, he walked forward and unlocked the cell door. Immediately after, he pulled out a gun.

"Silver bullets," he snapped, his entire demeanor changing, "don't try anything."

Rowan exited the cell first and I followed, feet scuffing across the cold floor. The man shoved me forward, hand gripping my bicep, and I jerked my arm out of his grip, snarling. I heard a bullet click into place in the gun and I felt the cool metal of the barrel against my temple. I turned to face the man and he didn't move the gun that was now pointing at my forehead.

"Go ahead," I growled, though my heart was racing with panic and fear, "shoot me." The man's eyes were hard. I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"Let's just take it down a notch," Rowan said, but I could hear the note of his own fear in his voice. A moment passed and no one moved. Then, the man lowered his gun.

"Move it," he snapped, and he backed away from me, turning around and continuing to walk. Rowan gave me a look as I complied, falling into step with him, just a few steps behind the man.

"What was that?" he hissed, anger creeping into his tone.

I shrugged, "It's not like he was actually going to shoot me." Rowan shook his head.

"That's not the point, man," he replied, "you aren't invincible." I chuckled, glancing over at Rowan to see him shaking his head once again. "Idiot," he muttered under his breath, and I might've replied, but then we were turning a corner and walking through a dark, wooden door.

The room was large with a high ceiling. A long wooden table sat in the center of the room, it's dark color a sharp contrast to the lightly colored floor. My gaze wandered to the far end of the room and landed on a familiar head of dark hair and a set of broad shoulders.

"Will?" I asked, and he turned around.

"James!" he exclaimed, "You idiot!" He turned back around. "I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding and the inconvenience," he said, and I suddenly understood why everyone thought my brother was going to be a good alpha.

"Don't let it happen again," a familiar voice replied, and a chill went down my spine. Will nodded, said something about making sure it wouldn't, and started walking towards us. There was fire in his blue eyes and his lips were set in a hard line.

"Let's go," he demanded, and I bristled slightly at the commanding tone of his voice. He held out two shirts, "Put these on." I scowled, snatching one shirt and handing the other to Rowan. However, I didn't argue, and I quickly followed him out of the room and down the hall, sliding the shirt on over my head.

We were out of the building and in the woods before he spoke again. "Do you even realize what you've done?" he asked. I sighed, caught between feeling ashamed or irritated.

"It was stupid," I replied, "but we were just having a little fun-"

"A 'little fun'?" Will snapped, cutting me off. "Tensions were already high with the Iratus pack," he continued, voice sharp, "this little stunt of yours has only made things worse!" I remained stoic, glaring straight back at him as I was far too stubborn to back down. Will seemed to deflate after a few moments, shaking his head. "I'm glad you're ok," he sighed, "you're a complete and total idiot, but at least you aren't dead." I cracked a half smile, shrugging. I never could hold a grudge against him.

"At least there's that," I replied, and Will punched my shoulder playfully.

"Yeah I'm ok too, thanks for asking," Rowan commented. I laughed, looking at him.

"I'm glad you're alright," Will said, slapping Rowan on the back. "Really, I mean it."

Rowan, looking rather appeased, replied, "Ok, ok, don't get all mushy on me." I started to laugh once again but suddenly, a single shot rang out. "Oh shit!" Rowan exclaimed, "C'mon we gotta go!" But I was frozen, staring at the red that was blossoming across Will's stomach.

"Will.." I choked out, lifting my gaze to meet his pained blue eyes.

"Run," he gasped, and blood leaked from his lips.

"Will," I exclaimed, stepping towards him, "I'm not leaving you!" Then, another shot rang out, followed by another. I felt a bullet graze my arm and I yelped.

"Go!" Will yelled, and the single outburst seemed to drain him of his remaining strength. Rowan grabbed my arm and started dragging me along.

"No!" I shouted. Bullets raced past us, the sound of gunfire filling the air. Rowan began dragging me back as I fought against him. Another bullet hit Will and he fell to his knees. "Will!" I yelled, everything in me screaming to help him. A bullet found my shoulder and I cried out, the pain almost unbearable. Will collapsed to the ground, and I knew he was gone. I felt like something had been ripped out of me, and suddenly the pain in my arm and shoulder seemed dull in comparison to the pain in my chest.

"James we have to go! He's gone James we have to go!" Rowan exclaimed. I knew he was right, I knew we were lucky we hadn't been killed yet anyways. I nodded slowly, my voice seeming to have disappeared, and it hurt. It hurt like a bitch. I idly wondered if the silver that surely laced the bullets was affecting my compliance. How ironic that the thing trying to kill me would save my life.

Rowan yelled in pain, tearing me from my revelry. "Come on!" I yelled, voice cracking. The bullet had grazed his face from his chin to his temple and blood was pouring from the wound. We turned and ran, sprinting as quickly as our legs would allow us. I could feel white hot pain like nothing I'd ever felt searing through my arm and making it's way across my torso, as if there was fire in my blood. I stumbled slightly, and Rowan grabbed my arm to keep me upright.

"We're almost there," he panted. His voice sounded muffled, as if he were a long ways off. My ears were ringing. I couldn't feel my arm, I couldn't move it. My legs didn't want to work anymore, and I collapsed, taking Rowan down with me. I landed on my back. My heart was pounding in my ears. I gazed up at the nighttime sky and all I could see was Will; Will gazing at me with blood on his lips. Will collapsing to the ground. Will, Will, Will. I could vaguely hear Rowan yelling, screaming at me to keep my eyes open, saying he was going to get help, telling me everything was going to be alright. The last thought I had before I was consumed by darkness was that nothing was ever going to be alright ever again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71 0 17
"You know we could have a really deep and emotional conversation now about friendship and trust and the wonderful dynamics of life but you've got tha...
238 77 36
Kelvin was hunted by scary nightmares throughout his whole life but what could be scarier than to discover that the nightmares are actually his reali...
438K 12.9K 51
*Mature Content Warning* I rest both my hands against the table. "I'll go on another date with you, if you tell me one thing about yourself that no...
72.1K 2.4K 44
A/N: People seem to think that this is a werewolf story and adding it to their werewolf reading list, it's not, it does have some werewolves in it bu...