In the middle of it all.

Keri8794 द्वारा

Desperate to salvage all that's left in his and his brothers' careers, Daxton enlists the help of the innocen... अधिक

Preface
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29.
CHAPTER 30
Authors Note

CHAPTER 20

12.5K 659 100
Keri8794 द्वारा

Song: "Just the way you are" - Billy Joel

****************

Daxton was ready to pull his hair out. It had been a week and still his house was boarding three unwanted tenants. Though, if Daxton were being honest, there were only two unwanted tenants. He could play with Sofia all day.

"I'm getting bored," cried Cameron. "Please just let me out go out. Just this once," he nagged.

Daxton pinched the bridge of his nose. He had work to do and it was already noon and he'd done none of it. He missed the days when his house was empty. "For the last time Cam, no, you are not going out."

"Whhyyy?" whined Cameron. Daxton stared perplexed. His brother had lost his mind if he believed it were a good idea to go clubbing.

"Cameron, you're in recovery."

"So."

Daxton's eyes bulged. "So! Did you forget what we're doing all this for? Did you forget why Mikayla is here? You can't go clubbing. It'll ruin everything we're trying to fix and set you back on your recovery."

Cameron rolled his eyes and stomped, like a petulant child, towards his bedroom. Daxton ignored him and stomped towards Mikayla's bedroom. He missed her. He hadn't had a conversation with her that lasted longer than a minute. Annabelle continued to steal all her attention. Daxton tried not to be bitter. He knew Annabelle and Nick were going through a rocky time in their marriage and Annabelle needed her best friend. Daxton just hated that their troubles had become his.

When he reached the bland brown door, he knocked enthusiastically. Not a moment later, the door swung open. Mikayla stood there smiling. "Hey Mikayla. Do you have a moment?"

Mikayla's smile widened. "I thought you'd never ask." She suddenly glanced behind her with her top teeth biting down on her bottom lip. Daxton glanced over her shoulder and saw Annabelle seated on the floor with a gurgling Sofia. Toys were scattered around them. Annabelle smiled up at Mikayla. "Um," Mikayla mumbled under her breath.

"It's fine," Annabelle said quickly. She picked up the ten-month-old and stood up quickly. Annabelle placed her hand on Mikayla's shoulder. "I've kept you holed up in this room this past week. It's not fair. Go have some adult fun." Though Mikayla didn't see it, Daxton saw all too quickly the secretive wink she passed. Daxton hid a smirk.

"I've enjoyed being here with you," Mikayla said quickly.

"I'm not saying you haven't but, if you're not working then you're here with me. Go have some time alone." There was no doubting Annabelle's tone. Mikayla's blush meant she read through the lines too. Daxton felt his cheeks heat up. He needed to be discrete if their plan was supposed to work.

"If you're sure?" asked Mikayla.

"Yes. Sofia is due a nap anyway and," Annabelle paused. "I suppose it's time I speak to my ass of a husband anyway."

Daxton grinned. "He's downstairs if you're looking for him. He just came back from work."

"Thanks Daxton." answered Annabelle. "Now you kids go and have some fun," she teased. She pushed at Mikayla's shoulders until she was out the door and clumsily pushed into Daxton's chest. Daxton steadied her quickly. When the door closed behind them, he smiled down at her.

"So, shall we go?" he asked her.

Mikayla frowned. "Where are we going?"

Daxton reached for her hand and clasped it in his. "Our spot."

Mikayla's smile spread the widest he'd seen in long time. "I can't imagine anything better."

They walked happily towards the greenhouse. Their hands were clasped together. They snuck through the back garden towards their favorite hideout. They didn't speak during their walk, but they were never far enough away from each other. Eventually the small little house came into view and Daxton open the door quickly. They were then enveloped in glorious smells. Not all of the flowers were in bloom yet since Daxton had included a few new species but, the sight was enough to make Daxton smile. His greenhouse always made him feel tranquil. He loved most that Mikayla enjoyed his special place too.

They found their favorite bench. Daxton sat first. Before Mikayla sat beside him, he pulled her atop his lap instead. She squeaked in surprise before settling comfortably into his chest. They both sighed satisfactorily. Things were silent for a moment before Mikayla finally spoke.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in months," she said with a chuckle.

He chuckled with her and kissed her on her head. "I feel the same. I wish they'd leave."

Mikayla shot up quickly and smacked him lightly on his chest. "Don't say that. You don't mean it."

"They're getting in the way," he argued.

"They need our help."

"I don't want to get between a couple and their marriage. They shouldn't be making it our problem. It's between them."

"They just want our support," counted Mikayla.

"We can support them without getting in the middle of it," he argued. Mikayla grunted in frustration.

"Fine. Let's agree to disagree then." Daxton smirked. "Besides, I don't think there's much wrong with being a good friend. Weren't you there to support Nick when they fought after Annabelle said she was pregnant?"

Daxton thought about it and sighed. "I was there to support him."

"So, we should support them again," said Mikayla.

"But why does their problem have to interfere with us? I've got enough of Cameron doing that."

Mikayla laughed. "Don't be petty Dax. I'm still here and look, we've got time alone now."

He grinned and stretched forward to steal her lips with his. Her gasp was swallowed by him. Daxton gripped her waist as their lips moved heatedly. Mikayla matched his enthusiasm with her own. The room grew heated as their bodies moved together frantically. Daxton couldn't get enough of her. He'd miss being so close to her. He missed kissing her and tasting her. He felt like a starved man devouring his last meal.

Soon, Mikayla pulled away with a pop of her lips. "Wow," she whispered. She leaned in lazily to kiss down his neck. "I forgot how great a kisser you are," she mumbled against his neck, just before she bit his neck softly. He moaned loudly.

He wanted to take things further, but he knew they couldn't. He wanted all the time in the world with Mikayla but, they didn't have it yet. He pulled her away to stop her. "We should slow down."

"Is this what you want?" Mikayla asked. Daxton wondered if she knew just how convincingly seductive her voice was.

"I don't, but we should."

"You're right," she sighed. She leaned back until her breath no longer touched his lips. "What do you want to do then?"

He smirked at her. "There is something I've wanted to do for a long time."

Mikayla gulped. "What is it?"

He grabbed her from under her thighs and stood up. He held her up as he stood. She shrieked a bit just before Daxton placed her back on her feet. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. It took him a moment to find what he was looking for and then, soft gentle music played. He gripped her waist again and pulled her towards him. He held her left hand in his and directed the other to his shoulder. He started to sway, leading them into a clumsy waltz. Mikayla chuckled and let her head rest on his shoulder.

They continued to hold onto each other in silence. They let the music swirl around them as they got swept in the romance. Daxton couldn't believe how great it felt to just hold her. He bent his neck lower until his lips were against her ear. "I want you just the way you are," he sang brokenly into her ear. He could feel Mikayla shiver against him, and he smiled.

The song came to an end, but they continued to stand there swaying in each other's arms. All too soon, a knock came from outside the greenhouse. Daxton pulled away with a groan. The door opened and Cameron stuck his head through the door.

"What do you want Cam?" Daxton asked with a grouch.

His brother smirked. "You may want to get inside. The old couple are going nuts in there." His brother looked too excited by the thought of Daxton's friend fighting with his wife.

"I don't want to get involved," he said with a roll of his eyes.

Mikayla stepped away from his quickly. "We can't let things get too out of hand. They have a daughter to think about." She started her way out of their sanctuary, and he groaned aloud. He needed them to sort out their nonsense so he could move on with his life. He wasn't cut out for this. With reluctance, Daxton followed behind Mikayla. He was determined to have the craziness end. He needed some of his normalcy back. 

A/N: Things are going to get crazy from the next chapter. Prepare yourselves. 

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

726K 24.7K 139
'"You're a liar. You're a dirty fucking liar," I sob. Despite the fact that I want nothing more than to run away from the man standing in front of me...
663K 29.7K 52
★ NOW PUBLISHED! ★ What do you get when you add the ultimate meet cute + a bruised head? = A whole can of heartbreak. It all starts in aisle three. L...
323 70 13
Walking into school to find pages from your diary posted all over the walls seems like it could only happen in a nightmare. Except one day, this beco...
2.8K 366 56
"You're supposed to be my best friend, but all I can think about is kissing you again." TEDDY: I somehow got stuck in the unfortunate "one of the guy...