The Flower of King and Knights

By senseiseth

The Age of Arthur is over, for fifteen years the lands of Britannia have been subjected to wars, raids, and t... More

Disclaimer
A Foul Air Rising
Forged in Blood
Bloodlines
The Return Home
Ghosts of the Past
The Demon Returns
The Dead City
The Black Site
The Quest for Excalibur
The Isle of Avalon
The Ride of Sir Kay and Bedivere
The First Quest
Caliburn's Wrath
Rescue in the Dark
The Finer Points of Kingship
New Allies
The Questing Beast
The Arrival of the Faeire King
The Return of the Nordic Plague
The Sheathed Discovery
The Once and Future King
The Battle of the Three Kings
The Soul's Reprieve
THe Quest of Sir Bedivere and Sir Llewiquin
The Holy Demon
The Dull Feast
The Black Knight
The Feast's End
The Table Reunited
Old Scars
The Rise of Lady Catelin
The Tale of Sir Ulrich
End of the Old Ways
The King's Wrath
The Melee
Cool Down
The Proposition
A Moment of Reflection
Birth of the Traitor
Battle of Lord's Crossing
The Bloodied Soul
The Second Battle of Camlann, Pt. I
The Second Battle of Camlann, Pt. II
The Duel of Destiny
Appendix I
Appendix II: Family Tree
An Update

The Pieces Are Set

27.1K 38 6
By senseiseth

As Ector, Merlin and the knights arrived to castle, there were the first arrivals of the host waiting to meet the Viking horde. Within days, the army grew to thirty thousand men at arms, five thousand archers, and another six thousand knights. Yet, the reports from scouts and spies told the English the enemy force numbered almost seventy thousand. And that was without the numbers of the Saxon forces.

Ector and the knights devised a plan to strike at each army one at a time. Partisans would be used to slow down the Saxon force while the main army dealt with the Viking threat. In three days, the whole host moved to meet the Viking horde.

The army moved for five days before they received reports that the enemy was moving towards their positions. Immediately the army prepared for the attack. Scouts, patrols, were all sent out to spot the oncoming enemy. Tensions were high throughout the encampment, and Ector was by no means untouched by this.

As the morning of the seventh day began, Ector woke to Sir Kay and Sir Ector coming into his tent. “My liege, we need your presence quickly.”

“Do I want to know what’s happening?” the king asked groggily.

“A herald of the Saxons has arrived, they want to speak to you directly.”

“Outstanding, let me get some pantaloons on and I’ll be out shortly.”

King Ector met the herald who spoke with a regal, yet delicate tone. “Lord Ector of Britannia, I come on behalf of my Lord, Lothar of Wessex. He seeks and audience with you personally.”

“How come he did not send himself along with you?”

“He felt it best to see if you would try to remove his head if he came into the camp.”

“A fair concern. He will be granted full safety in my camp as long as he doesn’t try anything suspicious.”

The herald left to grab his master who came shortly after. He was a tall man, blonde hair, blue eyes, Ector couldn’t help but think that he would fit in a Nazi propaganda poster for some weird reason. But his demeanor was more of a man of humility than authority. As he approached Ector, the Saxon extended his hand, smile upon his face. There was hint of German accent in his speech, but he spoke perfect English to Ector. “Greetings Lord Ector, I am Lothar, lord of Wessex.”

“It is a pleasure to have you in our camp, we hope you’ll enjoy your stay,” said Ector returning the hand shake.

“I wish this was under more happier times, but I am afraid that we have a predicament that cannot be ignored.”

“Really? There are many in this camp that would feel that you and your men are a part of the predicament.”

“I am afraid that many of our ancestors have established a reputation that we cannot entirely be rid of. However, we have come to give our aid to our Briton neighbors.”

Ector turned to Sir Kay, who was uncomfortable with the Saxon lord. He turned back to Lothar, “I mean no offense, but…”

“Do not worry, I know that many of your seasoned knights began their quests against our efforts. Talk with them as needed.”

“There’s no need.” Sir Kay walked up to the Saxon lord, “You’re father was Lord Aethstan, correct?”

“He was, yes.”

“I knew him well, he housed me when…when I was in need of help. He was a good man, I trusted him. I trust you. I’ll speak with the knights, but I doubt they will be any troubles.”

Lothar was moved. “My thanks to you good sir.”

Ector then returned the conversation to military matters, “So how many men have you been able to muster?”

“Between the realms of Wessex, Essex, and Sussex, we have around six thousand spears, two thousand bowman, and another five thousand knights and cavalry. Plus, we were able to have a friend honor a promise they made.” Lothar then pointed the top of a ridge, King Ector and the knights saw a rider with a herald holding a white flag with small black dots.

“Kay, why does that flag have dots?” asked Ector.

“Those aren’t dots, well they are, but a closer look will reveal those to be swords. That’s…” Sir Kay had to take a moment to believe what he was about to say, “That’s the King of the Hundred Knights.”

“But I thought he was an enemy of my father?”

Lothar answered, “His father was, but this one is quick to horse and steel as his father. He learned to wait and see how things unfold before making the grand charge.”

“So he’s on our side I assume?” asked Sir Kay.

“Aye he is. And he has all of his knights with him.”

“Does he really have a hundred knights, or is that just a title he made for himself?” asked King Ector.

Sir Kay looked at Ector with frightened amazement, “And you wondered why you flunked dodge ball.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 2.8K 22
The King's Journey continues on in Another World (Book) For you shall see only but a dream... a dream one would have wished were to have come true...
234 62 28
In the year 2030, things have gone downhill. After another world war, most of the major cities in the world are empty and abandoned, due to bombings...
1.7K 76 15
"In a land of myth and a time of magic, the future of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a powerful man. His name...MERLIN." ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Destiny is...
39.2K 615 18
Have you heard about the legendary sword in the stone and about the great kingdom of Camelot ; about King Arthur and the great sword Excalibur or the...