Chasing the Moon (A Stiles St...

By _hogwartian_

Emma Brisbane has been an outcast at Beacon Hills High ever since the accident that took her mother and siste... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Growing Suspicion
Chapter 2 - The First Full Moon
Chapter 3 - Not Worth the Risk
Chapter 4 - Cover Up
Chapter 5 - Trust Me
Chapter 6 - You Again
Chapter 7 - Who You Think You Are
Chapter 8 - Hiding the Broken
Chapter 9 - Truth and Bullets Hurt
Chapter 10 - Sleepwalking
Chapter 11 - Control
Chapter 12 - An Anchor
Chapter 13 - Night School (part 1)
Chapter 14 - Night School (part 2)
Chapter 15 - Time to Tell
Chapter 16 - Heels Up
Chapter 17 - Breaking Chains
Chapter 18 - Between the Moon and the Stars
Chapter 19 - Caught in the Middle
Chapter 21 - Completely Normal
Chapter 22 - The Dance
Chapter 23 - The Final Truth
Chapter 24 - The New Alpha

Chapter 20 - Brother Wolf

28.5K 698 449
By _hogwartian_

**Disclaimer** I do not own Teen Wolf, don't destroy me with copyright please.

I stared out the passenger side window of Stiles' precious, baby blue jeep. It was dark out now, the sun having set about twenty minutes ago. I didn't realize we had been out there that long. Stiles buckled his seat belt and stirred the engine to life with a turn of the key. He looked over at me before letting out a heavy sigh. 

"Are you okay?" He asked me. 

I chewed the inside of my lip. I hung my head down before picking it up again and glancing over to Stiles, who was wearing a concerned expression. I shook my head slightly. "Maybe,"

"Look, I'm sorry for bringing your sister up. I had no idea - "

"No, it's not that," I said, cutting off his apology. My voice was sharper than I intended and I immediately felt bad for snapping at him. I softened my expression and looked at him. If I was going to confess my feelings about this to anyone, it was going to be Stiles. "My family trusted him...Peter. We were close, why...why would he do that? We never did anything wrong,"

"Maybe it was an accident?" Stiles suggested.

"No, no it's like he knew what he was doing, like it's all part of some grander plan. He needed me to finish his healing process," I said. I let out a huff of air and rested my head against the window. 

I always wanted to know who did this to my family, who did this to me. I thought it would give me closure, a peace of mind. In the end, it's only made things worse on what's left of my sanity. I was betrayed by someone I truly believed I could trust. He was my friend. He used to buy me presents on my birthday. He used to buy Zoe presents on her birthday, too. Then he killed her. There is no justifiable reason for murdering an innocent child. 

"Come here," said Stiles, extending out his arm. I lifted my head from the window and stared at the open space between us. Unbuckling my seat belt, I slid over to erase the air that separated us. I leaned into his side, taking in his warmth. He kissed the top of my head and I could feel his nostrils sucking in the scent of my hair. 

With his arm still draped around me, he put the jeep into reverse and pulled out of the small clearing and back onto the highway. I played with the end of his flannel shirt as he drove. I love how much he wears flannel. 

The road turned into a blur behind us, the radio humming songs from the eighties. Just being in Stiles' arms makes all the bad things go away, even if it's just for a moment. He's the most normal thing in my life, and that's saying something.

"Emma," he said. I stirred, coming out of my thoughts. "There's something I've been meaning to ask you,"

"And what's that?" I said, a tease in my voice.

Stiles brought the jeep to a halt at a stop sign, taking the chance to look me directly in the eyes. His lips tugged upward into a grin. "Will you go to the winter formal with me?"

I licked my lips and smirked at him. To be honest, I had completely forgotten about the dance with all of the events going on lately. I pictured Stiles in a suit and a tie. I thought about what I would wear, what kind of dress? What shoes do I wear? I'm no good at these kinds of things.

"Do I have to wear heels?" I asked. Stiles threw his head back and let out a laugh.

"You could wear moon shoes for all I care, as long as I'm dancing with you."

I kissed him. We didn't break apart until a horn sounded behind us, waiting for Stiles to go. We both chuckled and Stiles hit the gas. I snuggled my head in his chest, still feeling giddy. I wonder if this is what it's supposed to feel like.

"Yes," I said.

"Yes what?" Stiles asked, his brow furrowing in confusion.

I leaned my head back so that I could look up at him. "Yes, I'll go to the dance with you."

We both smiled.

  ☼ 

I kissed Stiles goodnight as he dropped me off at my house. He promised to call me later. As much as I didn't want to part from him, I was tired. It has been the most insane past few days. Though, my mental stability is questionable without Stiles around. I should never be left alone with my mind for too long.

I noticed that Dad's car was missing from it's usual spot in the driveway next to mine. I walked inside, looking around for a sign of anyone. I could hear the TV from the living room. I closed the door quietly behind me and peered further around the wall to see that it was Eric sitting on the couches, a bag of chips on his lap.

I walked into the living room and leaned over the couch Eric was sitting on. The sound of commentary of a college lacrosse game hummed in the background. "Where's Dad?" I asked him.

"Guess," said Eric.

I groaned and threw myself on the couch next to my brother. Without taking his eyes off the television he held out the bag of chips towards me. I hesitated for a moment before grabbing a handful and eating them one by one. I thanked him between bites. 

I couldn't ignore the elephant in the room no matter how hard I tried to focus on the lacrosse game. It was continuously tugging at the back of my mind. We had to talk about it, whether we wanted to or not. 

"Do you know about - ?"

"Peter?" Eric said, answering my question without even my finishing. "Yeah, I know."

He gave a low sigh and sunk further into the sofa. I blinked a few times and turned my head back towards the television. I watched the players pass the ball back and forth with agility, though none with the skill Scott has. He does have an unfair advantage, though.

After a few moments, I looked back at my brother and tried to press further into the subject. "And do you know that Derek is - ?"

"Working with him?" He finished for me once again. His expression never changed and his eyes never drifted from the game. "Scott told me everything."

"Scott told you?" I asked in surprise. After how much Eric has sided with Derek I was shocked that Scott trusted him enough to tell him anything.

"Who else can he go to?"

"He trusts you enough?"

"I helped train him, Emma. Unlike Derek, I was bitten. I wasn't born a werewolf and I had to learn how to control my abilities. Scott felt like he could relate to me." He said.

"I guess I just didn't realize how close you two were." I said. "I thought you didn't like him."

"What choice do I have?" My brother finally looked me in the eyes. I realized that they were bloodshot. He'd been crying. 

I moved over on the couch and hugged him. He's just as messed up about this whole thing as I am. We both trusted Peter. He was a family friend. Yet, he killed our mother and little sister. He's a monster. 

"I just don't understand," he said, his voice just above a whisper. 

"Maybe we're not meant to,"

We stayed there, brother and sister, connected by an unbreakable bond. All anger and hatred I still felt for Eric was gone. I was wrong about him. He does care about this family, especially the part that used to occupy the now empty seats at the dinner table. How selfish it was of me to think that I was the only one hurting.

What are we going to tell Dad? He'll ban us from any werewolf interaction for the rest of our lives when he finds out that Peter was the one to kill his wife and daughter. I'm afraid for him to know the truth. It will tear him apart. The Hales were our closest friends.

Eric and I stayed there for the longest time, completely ignoring the fact that Duke was now crushing Syracuse. I used to be an independent. I didn't need a man to make me feel strong, but now arms are the only place I feel safe anymore. Thoughts of Stiles filled my mind again. That's when I remembered Eric's curiosity as to why Stiles and I were acting so strange around each other lately.

"Eric," I said, taking a deep breath. "Stiles and I are dating."

"I know," he said with a smirk. "Scott told me that too."

  ☼ 

"What the hell?" I said, running down the stairs and into the kitchen where Eric was sitting at the table. I held up my phone. "Stiles just texted me and said that Scott's mom is on a date with Peter,"

"I know," grunted Eric, running his hands over his face.

I groaned. "Oh, did Scott tell you that too?"

I didn't mean to be so jealous that my brother was closer than me with someone I considered to be a good friend. I just don't quite get it. He always talked about Scott with such distaste, I was the one to help him and stick up for him. I'm the reason he's gotten this far. Why is he so trusting in Eric all of the sudden?

"Derek, actually," he said, his jaw twitching as he looked at me.

"Derek?" I questioned. I thought Derek was the bad guy now, he took Peter's side. 

"He also said something about Jackson,"

"He wants the bite," I said.

"And now Peter wants him dead," said Eric. "And he wants Derek to do it."

My eyes widened at this news. Derek was going to kill Jackson, and as much as I dislike him, I can't let that happen. I owe him. He saved my life and now it's my responsibility to save his. Mom taught me that value. Help those that help you. She always said it made for good karma.

"We have to help him," I said, grabbing my jacket from the coat rack and throwing it on.

"Why? He's a nuisance, nothing but trouble."

"He saved my life that night in the video store, Eric." I said. 

My brother scrunched his face up. "Dammit," he said, getting up from the table.

I threw him his coat and we both ran out the door. Whether we like it or not, we can't let Derek kill Jackson, and I know Scott can't do it on his own.

  ☼ 

 "Faster," I commanded to my brother. He was driving my car down a back road that led out to the forest. He was pushing eighty, but that wasn't enough for me. We needed to get to the Hale house now. Someone's life is at stake.

Eric pursed his lips before pressing further down on the gas, causing the engine to rev and our speed to near ninety. Going this fast was beyond dangerous, but we had no other choice. We had to get there and we had to do it fast.

The windshield wipers worked on full speed to keep the window clear of the pouring rain. The tires squealed on the wet road as Eric braked to make the turn into the trees. The path was muddier than usual, making it difficult for my little car to travel. It's not exactly an all-terrain vehicle. 

I saw something in the distance. I squinted my eyes to get a clearer look. "Eric, stop the car!" I ordered.

"What?"

"Stop the car and turn off the headlights!" I said. Eric slammed on the brakes, the sound of mud sloshing beneath us. My breathing grew heavy. "Hunters,"

Just up the hill two cars sat parked in front of the old Hale house. Outlines of bodies surrounded the premises, all armed with guns and bows. This was the worst possible thing to happen. If Derek doesn't kill Jackson first, the hunters will kill them both. 

"Stay here," said Eric. He turned off the car, unbuckled his seat belt, and got out.

"What? Eric, no," I hissed, trying to get myself out as well.

"Emma, please, just stay here."

I slumped back into my seat, folding my arms across my chest. Once he was out of sight, I quietly got out of the car and snuck through the trees and around to the other side of the house. I heard a roar of gunshots and hid myself behind a tree, throwing my hand over my mouth to keep quiet. 

They were shooting at them. What if they've been hit? Derek may be able to survive, but Jackson doesn't have a chance. The wolfsbane bullets would kill him an in instant. Then I realized that Eric had gone inside as well, I saw him go in through the back. What if...what if he was shot?

I peaked around the tree, seeing the flares of the bullets bounce of the faded red door. Then, it opened. Derek stood in the doorway and let out a loud roar at the hunters. What the hell was he doing? 

Over the sound of the gunshots I could hear moans of pain and whispers coming from the other direction. I looked to see what I assumed was my brother helping someone out of the house and into the trees. I ran towards the pair.

"Eric!" I called in a hush. I looked down to see who he was with. "Scott?"

He was lying on the ground, twisting in pain. I knelt down beside him to examine the wound in his side. He had been shot, and there's not much I can do until we get the bullet out.

"I thought I told you to wait in the car," said Eric, panting and out of breath.

"Call Deaton," I said. Eric looked at me in confusion. "Deaton! Call Deaton!"

I was frantic. Eric pulled out his phone and dialed the number that had long been retired in our contacts. Scott coughed up another batch of black blood. I pressed my hands against his wound, doing all that I could to help him for the time being. The area was letting off a light smoke, burning into his flesh.

Eric hung up his phone and glanced from Scott to me. "He said to take him to the clinic,"

"We'll have to go by foot," I said.

"What? Why?"

"Because if we go back to the car we'll get caught by the hunters," I said.

Eric let out a sigh and rolled his eyes before picking Scott up. I walked beside him with tears in my eyes and blood staining the palms of my hand. Then a thought crossed my mind.

"Eric, where's Jackson?" I asked.

"He ran off as soon as the hunters started firing," he said. "Scott was there to save him."

Touched, I looked at Scott's limp body in Eric's arms. After everything Jackson has put him through, he still went to save him. He put his life out on the line for someone who has never said a kind word to him in his life. That's character.

☼ 

The bullet clunked as it hit the metal bowl Deaton had just dropped it into. He dabbed at Scott's wound with a cloth. "Please, Doctor, let me," I said.

He handed me the cloth, but I shook it away. He looked at me with confusion. I took a short breath before placing the palm of my hand on the bloody skin. It didn't quite burn as I expected, but it did tingle. My hand tensed as the black liquid filled my veins. It faded just before my elbow.

I looked back up at the doctor as soon as the skin that had once been home to a gaping hole was closed and healed. He was smiling at me, as if he knew all along and I had just confirmed his theory. It wouldn't surprise me if he knew, he knows just about everything else in this town.

"Do you..." Deaton paused for a moment. "Do you know what your name means, Emma?"

I shook my head.

"Emma, means 'healer'," he said. My heart skipped a beat. "And Brisbane, means broken bone. Your name, together, is healer of broken bones. You were always meant for this."

I shook my head at him. "No, no I wasn't."

"But you were, Emma. You always were,"

Suddenly, Scott woke up with a loud gasp of breath. He coughed and tried sitting himself up on the table. I pushed him back down. 

"You may not want to get up just yet," said Deaton. Scott looked around. 

"Where am I?" He asked.

"You're fine," said Deaton. "And Emma here was kind enough to help your wound heal."

Scott turned his head to look at me. He seemed so dazed and confused. He rotated his neck to look back at Deaton. "But you're a vet,"

"That's very true," he said. "And ninety percent of the time I'm mostly healing cats and dogs,"

"Mostly?" Scott questioned. Well, I guess he was going to find out about his boss sooner or later. 

"Mostly," repeated Deaton, giving a smile.

Scott laid his head back down at the table. He's still weak from being shot, considering the type of bullet he was hit with. He's damn lucky Eric and I were there or...well, I'd rather not consider the alternative at the moment.

It's my job to protect him, watch over him. I can't do that if he's dead.

  ☼ 

About an hour later, the bell attached to the clinic door rang. It was late and I had spent the last hour and a half talking with Deaton, catching up on the events that have been happening in Beacon Hills, though he knows for the most part. I told him that Peter was The Alpha, but I think he knew that too. I should have come to him sooner.

Deaton left me with the unconscious Scott to see who was at the door. I was slumped in the corner. Eric had offered to come and pick me up after he retrieved my car from the woods, but I told him I wanted to wait with Scott. I still have so much to explain to him.

I glanced up when I heard the two pairs of footsteps enter the room. To my surprise, it was Stiles who was standing with Deaton. I jumped to my feet and met Stiles halfway before wrapping my arms tightly around his neck and burying my face deep in his shoulder. I was shaking in his embrace.

"Eric called me, he said you'd be here," he explained. He looked over my shoulder to see Scott blacked out on the table. "What happened?"

"He was trying to save Jackson, but the hunters opened fire. He was shot," I said, moving so that I was still huddled into him, but that I could see Scott as well.

"Is he okay?" Stiles rushed over to his friend's side.

"He'll be fine," said Deaton. "Thankfully Emma was there to heal it enough before I could get the bullet out."

Stiles turned back around to face me. He wrapped me in his arms once again, muttering a "Thank you" in my hair. I was so glad that Eric had called him, even though it did come as a surprise. I don't know what's gotten into my brother lately. Maybe he really is trying to change, for Mom's sake.

"You should take her home," said Deaton to Stiles. "He probably won't wake up until the morning, but I'll take good care of him."

Stiles looked at him skeptically. Even though his theory that Deaton was The Alpha was proven wrong, I know he still holds some suspicion, and rightfully so. Dr. Deaton is not just your average veterinarian, which is exactly why I know that Scott will be in safe hands.

"He's right," I said, tugging on the bottom of Stiles' shirt. "Scott will be fine, trust me."

That seemed to be enough for Stiles. He nodded his head and lead me outside to where his jeep was parked. I couldn't help but notice the new dents on the front that weren't there earlier when I rode in it.

"Um, Stiles," I said.

"Huh?" He said. I indicated to the fresh indents on the baby blue painted metal. "Oh, uh, funny story."

I shook my head and gave a small laugh. "Scratch that. I don't even want to know,"

"It was for a good purpose!" He said as I got into the passenger seat.

"Uh-huh,"

"You'll think it's a great story,"

I gave him a look as he slid in behind the wheel. "Just take me home,"

-------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading!

I know it's not as long as the last chapter, but hey, two updates in two days. That's what happens when your only two friends both have lives...

Anyways, this story is getting close to the end. I'm guessing there will be about three or four more chapters after this one, it depends on the direction I decide to go. Planning the end of this story has been a pain in my ass.

I'll probably take a couple weeks off after I finish to get my life in check, then I will release book two that will follow season two. It's going to be very interesting and I can only pray that I can pull off the ideas I have in mind. Please don't hate me...

Also I apologize for crappy chapter titles.

GIF not mine.

Thanks again and don't forget to comment, vote, and follow!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

-Alyssa

Edited 3/16/14

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.5K 418 31
𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙓 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙗𝙖𝙨𝙚𝙙 𝙤𝙣𝙚-𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙩𝙨 (𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐋𝐁 𝐨𝐧𝐞-𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧)These one-shots ar...
54K 1.7K 26
❝Like sands through an hourglass, her life fell apart; counting the days until her time ran out.❞ The day Olivia turned nineteen was the day her life...
694K 19K 76
"Willow Price." Caleb introduced me. My hair was parted in two tight french braids that held the hair away from my face. I was wearing cargo pants a...
1.1M 49.1K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC