The Runaway

By toxicwonders

After a while of waiting, Violet finally decided to leave. She left everything behind including friends, fami... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43 - Finale

Chapter 18

11 4 0
By toxicwonders

"To think you were dragged in this makes me sick. I know what it's like to lose the life you had just because you became this-this.."

"Creature," Aiden finished. They were in Colton's room which he was going to share with Aiden.

"Right," Colton said. "Where did you live?"

"Illinois," Aiden said.

"What? How did you get here?" There was no way Phoebe could drive to Illinois in one day.

"Phoebe already turned me a while ago and left me with one of her friends to drive me here."

They continued speaking and it was all fine until Phoebe told them to get ready for hunting. "It's dark out so this is perfect," she said.

They shared a look of anxiety. "Have you done it yet?" Colton asked quietly.

Aiden looked to the ground. "Yeah."

"It's okay." Colton patted his back lightly. "I'll kill and you make sure no one sees, okay?"

"I can do it myself," he replied.

Colton shook his head. "It's fine. I can do it."

After a long pause Aiden finally said, "Okay."

Colton didn't want to kill, but he also didn't want anyone else to face the aftermath either.

And that's how their friendship started. Colton was always looking out for Aiden, helping the one person who understood him. They had each other's backs and protected each other like brothers.

Along the way, they started adapting quickly, but they still wanted out of it. The thought of being a normal human again sounded like a dream and the only way Aiden coped with it was with anger. There were scenes where he would lose control because he was so angry. It was so much rage that Colton didn't know what to do. That made Colton mad as well.

"Calm the hell down!" he yelled at Aiden. "We'll get our lives back but you acting like this won't help."

They argued and argued until it eventually escalated to horror. Colton was radiating with fury and it ended with gore and violence. The flashing results of his actions made Violet flinch.

"What have you done?" Aiden asked, horrified.

Colton stared in deep regret at the dead bodies beneath him. "I-I didn't mean to." Phoebe warned them about excessive anger but he never understood why until that moment.

"This is all my fault," Aiden said.

Colton held out a hand for him to stop. "I did this, not you."

After the incident, Aiden was able to manage his temper, afraid anything like that would ever happen again. As for Colton, he never knew how to properly control himself.

When more people started joining them, Colton felt closer to normal. He didn't feel as odd in the world he was living in. Once all members joined, they all agreed that Colton would be their leader. He was the most determined and promised that he would get all of them their freedom back. Without him, they didn't have hope.

Violet opened her eyes when it finally ended. In front of her, Colton was sweating and looked tired. "Why did you show me that?" Violet asked softly.

"To show you that you're not alone. I was lost until Aiden came along. I finally had someone who I could connect to." He looked at her with concern. "I know you're not like us, but I understand what you're dealing with. Just let me help you."

"I don't know if you can," she said sternly.

"I know it's crazy and hard to believe, but I'm still the guy you met in New York. I just grew up a a little since then." He took her hand. "I'm sorry you got involved in everything. It's a mess and I would do anything if it meant you didn't have to be apart of it, but all I can do is be there for you." He stared at her deeply. "Let me help."

That's when she broke again. The tears came flowing when she saw a hint of the guy she knew in those words. "I've missed you."

He hugged her and said, "I missed you too."

"I was so hurt when you left and never contacted me. I didn't understand, but I needed some closure. That's why I wanted to find you so bad. I needed to know why you left."

He smiled. "My life isn't so pretty, is it?"

She squeezed him tightly and cried for what seemed like the longest time. "I'm sorry for assuming things."

"It's okay," he whispered.

She wasn't fine, but now she was less worried. It had been a long night and she just needed to rest. "I'm going to go to bed."

"Okay, goodnight," he said. He walked over to the couch and turned the lamp off.

There was a moment of silence before she spoke. "You're not going to leave right?" she whispered in the dark.

He shuffled in his seat. "I'll be here all night."

Trusting his words, her eyes fluttered shut and sleep crept in on her. It felt nice to not worry about a thing when you are in the state of slumber. Too bad, that only lasts for a few hours.

The bright sun awakened Violet from her peaceful sleep causing her to groan. Her eyes opened to see Colton sleeping on the couch. The clock on the night stand displayed 10 A.M. "Colton," she whispered from the bed.

He didn't open his eyes so she got out of bed and nudged him lightly. "Hey. Wake up." It took several nudges until he opened his eyes.

"What time is it?" he asked before yawning.

"Ten," she replied.

He jumped out of his seat. "Shit." Colton headed for the door. "Go get ready. I'll check on the others."

Colton rushed to their room, nervous of how they were doing since the incident. One knock and the door opened. Colette appeared at the door with heavy bags under her eyes.

"Nobody could sleep last night," she said. She let him in and immediately, he could see all of them grow tense.

"How are you guys?" he asked softly. Even though he was mad at them earlier, he was a quick forgiver.

Aiden didn't speak and avoided eye contact while everyone else muttered, "Fine."

"I'm sorry," Delsin blurted. Aiden walked to the bathroom, shutting himself in there.

Colton smiled. "It's okay. It wasn't your fault." He sighed and eyed the locked bathroom door. "We should get going though. Get ready and meet me downstairs in a few." On his way out, he thanked Colette for dealing with them for him.

When he returned, Violet was sitting on the bed. "Are you done?" he asked.

She nodded. "I'm just nervous to see the others."

"It will be okay. I'll be here with you." He held out his hand. "Let's go."

She expected it to be worse. She thought that once she faced them, she would have another panic attack. Luckily, they didn't make eye contact with her except for Colton and Colette. Riley glanced back a few times, but Violet didn't mind since she was more worried about someone else. He was the one behind everyone, walking as slow as possible, trying to avoid it all. Violet tightened her grip on Colton's hand whenever the footsteps behind them sped up. Violet's heart stopped when she realized she was going to have to sit next to him in the van, but Colton dispelled her thoughts when he directed her to the front where Riley usually sat. Riley didn't argue either; she knew to shut her trap this time.

Everything was going alright until...they ended up in the woods. Before she could react, Colton whispered, "It's okay. Colette, Riley, and I missed our chance last night and we need this for an energy boost. It'll be quick." Violet nodded slowly. She forgot they never had any part of it because of the chaos but were they as vicious? Were they like him?

"Stay in the car, okay?" Colton eyed Delsin and Aiden. "You two come with me."

Aiden's head was facing the opposite direction. "I don't want to," he mumbled.

Violet's eyes widened. No way was she staying there alone with him. Colton looked at Violet. "Fine. Violet, come with us."

She accepted it without a doubt, but once her feet made contact with the grass, the memory of last night came back. Was she about to witness everything over again?

"Don't worry. You don't have to come watch, Just stay here outside the car," Colton stated.

"I don't want to be left alone either," she replied.

"It'll be fast. I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 186 24
Violet Ferrari is at breaking point. Moving out of home was supposed to fix her problems, not exacerbate them. All the shit she tried to escape, came...
69 1 1
Death. Destruction. Heartache. That is what Violet's life has become, a never ending vortex of pain. People she loves move in and out of her life, an...
12M 576K 127
[COMPLETE] Some bonds can't be broken, even in death. -- He couldn't endure another heartbreak. "Accepting her would be a mistake," he said. "She's a...
32.5K 1.1K 42
"Promise me you'll come to the club tomorrow night." he said in a rough voice, forehead on hers. Her head still spinning, she started to shake her he...