The Journey Taken Together

By Alexa781

Love is a strong word. It is said to those we care for the most. Some think love never dies. However, this is... More

The Journey Taken Together
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Playlist
Dedication
The Journey Taken Together: Editing
Raffles~
Gold Ivory Awards
How to Love: An Ultimate Guide

Chapter Twenty-Three

94 16 33
By Alexa781

Chapter Status: Edited

Don't forget to vote! nwn

~Dennis~

A feeling of guilt hits me as I look at Thea. The pain of having to lie to her is excruciating. I don't know why I feel like I have to lie to her...why can't I just tell her? I stare at her as she eats, and I sigh.

"Breakfast good?" I ask her.

"Meh, it's good for hospital food," she replies, causing me to giggle.

"Yeah, been there, done that.." I trail off. She looks at me with concern, and I give her a small smile. We sit silently for a few moments, and a nurse walks in.

"Hello Thea. How are you doing?" The nurse asks.

"Jen! It's nice to see you! I'm doing better, how are you?" Thea replies. I watch Jen as she cleans up Thea's stuff and puts it on the tray.

"I'm pretty good. I am lucky and got assigned your room for lunch break pick-up," Jen says smiling.

"I'm glad you are here," Thea says, and Jen looks at me.

"Well hello there. Is this your boyfriend Thea?" she asks, and my heart drops into my stomach.

"No no, I'm just a friend," I blurt out, and Thea frowns.

"Yeah...a friend," Thea repeats, and Jen nods her head.

"Well okay dear, gotta run. It was nice meeting you...friend of Thea's," she says and walks out of the room.

"Nice to meet you too," I mutter as I glance at Thea. She flips me off, and I form my mouth into an 'o'.

"Wowwwww, is that any way to treat me after all I've done for you?" I tease her.

"Well yeah, you lied to me," she sneers and looks away. Negative thoughts run into my head as I try to think of the possible things she could be talking about.

"About what?" I ask, puzzled.

"You being a virgin," she replies, and I begin to feel nauseous.

"You followed me?" I ask, and she raises her brow at me.

"Followed you where? No I didn't follow you. But where did you go?" she asks, and I look away. 'Fuck I shouldn't have said anything!' I think and steal a glance at her. I can mentally picture fire in her eyes.

"Dennis, just tell me. You can't make anything worse right now," Thea states softly. I take a minute to think about the consequences and look back at her.

"The morning before our scheduled date, I ran into Gigi and Daniel. She just kind of came onto-"

"You didn't!" she interrupts. Her eyes are huge, and I bite my lip.

"You...you cheated," she mutters, running her hands through her hair. I get up and walk over to her bed. I put one hand on hers, and she smacks it away.

"I'm sorr-"

"No! You can't make up for this!" she screams and tears start to form in her eyes. I back up and swallow my pride.

"Should I go?" I ask her, and she shakes her head with disapproval.

"The only reason I say that is because I want us both to see Steven," she explains, and I look away. A knock at the door brings my attention off of her.

"Hello Thea. Are you ready to go?" he says, walking over to her.

"Yes," she says, and he hands her a clipboard. She spends the next ten minutes filling out paperwork, and finally finishes.

"You are free to leave," he says, walking out of the room. She gets up slowly, and I walk quickly over to her.

"Let's get you home," I quickly offer.

"No, I'm going to see Steven," she replies sternly.

"Thea-"

"I'm seeing Steven god damnit!" she yells, releasing from my grasp. She walks quickly out of the door and down the hall to Steven's room.

"Thea!" I yell, running after her. I get in between her and the door. She looks up at me with a scowl.

"Let me through," she demands. I sigh and step out of her way. Turning around, I see Steven laying on the bed.

"Steven??" she asks, stepping forward to him. I walk towards Thea and place my hand on her shoulder.

"He is gone," I say, and she slumps to the ground.

~Thea~

He is gone....

He is gone....

He is gone....

Those three words replay over and over in my head. I try to forget them and pretend like what Dennis has just said is a lie. I stare down at the floor as tears fall from my eyes.

"He...he can't be," I whisper to myself as I begin to sob. I feel hands around my waist and raise my head up.

"GET OFF OF ME! YOU MONSTER!" I scream, pushing Dennis off of me. Snot runs down my face, and I crawl over to the corner. I stare at Steven's lifeless body and cry non-stop. My heart is as fragile as a glass pendant, and it just broke. There is only so many things that can do this to me.

Memories of the three of us run through my head as I cry harder. He was what brought Dennis and I together. He is what kept us together. And now...all of that was for nothing. Steven liked me this whole time, and the last words he said were what he had been hiding the entire time.

"Hey duddeee come here and see what Thea is doing!" Steven says. A shadow appears over me as I cover the sidewalk in chalk.

"Wow...this is really good," Dennis says and sits next to me. A smile creeps up on my face as I continue drawing.

"Thank you," I whisper and add more color to the background.

"Is this supposed to be memories or something?" Steven asks. I shake my head and clear my throat.

"It's a heart of all the important things in her life," Dennis explains before I can speak. I turn around and smile at him.

"Yes, it is. And you guys are right here," I say, pointing to the middle. I feel arms around my waist and smile. Dennis pulls me closer, and I ease up to him.

"Ewwww go get a room!" Steven shrieks, and we all laugh.

"Maybe we will someday," Dennis says, winking at me.

I can't help but fathom how Steven felt at that point. To see the girl of his dreams lost with his best friend must have been excruciatingly hard to bare. I bury my head into my arms and hear footsteps.

"Visiting hours are over," I hear a male voice say. I look up and see my doctor covering Steven up with a blue blanket.

"How'd he die?" I croak, and the doctor looks at me.

"He took major head damage. The top of the car crashed in, and there was a lot of bleeding in his brain. We couldn't stop it. Be thankful that you were a few inches shorter, otherwise you would have been in his situation also," he says, and I begin to shake.

'If I would have been only a little taller...' I think and hear sobbing coming from the hallway. Thanking the doctor, I walk out into the empty hallway to see Dennis crouched on his knees against the wall. The single thought of walking over to him and giving him sympathy crosses my mind, and then instantly slips away. I walk out of the hospital as a single tear runs down my face.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*sheds a tear* I'm so sorry guys D: But hey..only two more chapters left! Do you think Dennis and Thea will make up? Find out on Sunday!

Feel free to vote, share, and follow~

The first parts of my new book, Sally are up! Feel free to take a look ^^

Don't forget to add, The Journey Taken Together to your library for notifications!

Love you guys! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 9.9K 23
It's always been Rex Ford. I've always loved him. I think I always will. Sometimes though, you have to walk away from those that you love, because of...
14.2K 471 28
Dakota Mason has never been one with a normal teenage life. She spend half her life being ruthless and cold. Everyone she has ever loved abandonded h...
152K 7.7K 49
Fame. Friendship. Pressure. Love. What will they do to achieve the last? In the chaotic world of showbiz, how will these three couple find their way...
Braided By Megan

Teen Fiction

2.6K 148 30
"Let's go to the park then." He was a bit more excited when I agreed. I paused, I wasn't supposed to go past the porch. Even if I am starting to br...