White Force

By CharlayMarieWrites

BOOK 2 in the White Fire Series: Fire trumps ice, or so it seems when the Fire King becomes victorious in his... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Queen Ika
Prepped
The Corridor
Blue City Blog
Another Stone
Syn
Trust
Into the Village
Watty's 2016
Wynn
The Sweetest Kiss
Justice Always Prevails
Untitled
White Beast
Castle Full of Enemies
Cros
Holding Fire
Little Snow
UPDATE
A Storm of Pride
A Fox's Grin
Unexpected Friends
Tracked
Of Wrath and Fury
I Win
The King of Vengance
Downpour
Warrior Blood
Amicus
Caught
Into the Blue
Submerged
Liar

Almost North

67.7K 3.9K 793
By CharlayMarieWrites

(Hey my lovelies! So due to my increasingly crazy schedule, I don't have a set schedule for White Force yet. Bare with me as I get into the groove of things, but I'll try to post as frequently as possible! ❤️❤️)

Anya

The Prince, Luca, and I stood in an opened field just miles outside of the first northern village, meaning we were almost to our destination. We had slowly traveled throughout the night and through most of the day, having stopped to rest and eat on multiple occasions. Other times, the Prince came to
a halt just to venture into the woods alone, and I suspected it was because he needed to vent in peace. I could only imagine how hard it was for him to suffer through the pain of losing his father. 

This time, we stopped because there was a small meat stand along the trail we rode on, and the scent of raw meat caused our bears to go wild. The Prince had decided to stop to feed the animals before taking them into a crowded village. He had already purchased his meat, and I stood next to Luca as he bought a pound of cod.

"That'll be three stones," said the young, thin-haired girl running the meat stand. She then held out a pale hand covered in torn cloth to protect her from the brisk, northern air. In fact, every piece of clothing she wore were rags varying in shades of brown.

Dirt collected on her nose and cheeks as if she hadn't bathed in days, and the hand that held Luca's meat was caked in dirt. She looked to be no older than twelve, and the idea of her standing behind a freezing stall, selling raw meats all day was disheartening.

Her beaming eyes kept drifting over to where Prince Sebastian stood, and every time she looked, and I found myself smiling. I wasn't surprised that he'd earned himself a little admirer. After all, the Prince's  angular, sharp jaws, pointed nose, and low brows was to die for. It was amazing how much I'd grown to like him in a matter of weeks and also I found myself glancing behind me just to see him.

The Ice Prince's gaze met mine, and his face was serious and tired. Sebastian had watched his father die by the hands of his entrusted trainee. His entire life and future had been a rug, pulled from under his feet. It had been hard for me to leave Cora behind. I could only imagine how much harder it was for a man who had not only left his mother behind, but lost his father. As I watched him, I replayed every memory I had in his care.

Over three weeks ago, I'd stepped foot into the Ice Castle to train as a warrior, due to having an incredible, rare gift, called white fire - a gift that only the Prince, Titus, Cora, Luca, and most recently, the Queen possessed.

At first, I hated the Prince and his cold disposition, but as his ice wall began to melt causing him to open up more and more, I found myself unknowingly falling for him. It didn't help to know that Luca was also in love with me, and as the three of us rode north, I continued to ask myself how I had gotten into a situation that put me right in the middle of the both of them.

Luca was a good friend and was always on my side, even when I hadn't been on his. He had been one of the four trainees who stumbled upon the winter stone - a beautiful white necklace filled with powers that increased one's own abilities. Luca had been there to help me figure out who the traitor was - although I'd suspected it to be him for quiet some time. Shortly after that, the stone had been seized by the King, and in return, it was stolen from him. That was when we first suspected a traitor, but we'd have never guessed it to be one of our own.

I understood why Titus had done it. He'd been a Slynathis Rebel, one with a mission to kill the King and end the ten year war between Iceland and Fireland. It was a noble cause, but I couldn't support the methods in with he used to claim his power. Because of Titus, many now suffered, especially the Ice Prince.

"Did you come from the castle?" the girl asked, and I turned toward her curious face. I hadn't realized I'd been staring at the Prince for so long.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because, that looks a lot like the Prince of Iceland. I know because I was told exactly what he looks like. No one has eyes that bright or blue," she said.

"You're smart for a girl," I told her, brushing the apple off on my dress before stuffing it into my pouch.

"You have to be, around here," she told me. "Too many thieves and wild animals. There are also many strangers who might want to cause trouble for a young lady like me.

"I'd be careful, if I were you," she continued. "I may be young but even I know about the King's orders."

"And what's that?" I asked.

"Well, whoever finds the Prince must return him to the kingdom to face trail for treason."

I frowned at her words and looked over at Luca to read his expression. He turned toward me with a frown and then returned his gaze on the girl.

"We've been gone less that 24 hours," I told her. "How had word traveled faster than us?"

"Birds," she said, looking up at the sky. I, too, lifted my eyes above me, noticing a few birds flying against the darkening backdrop. "They carry messages to the north. It's common knowledge."

"We don't communicate that way in the south," I admitted, glancing down at her shocked expression.

"I've never met a southerner before," she said. "Many people come to the North: Eastlanders looking to trade, Westlanders looking for a new home, but the Southern Clan? Hardly ever come this way."

"Well, don't tell anyone that you met me. Our identities must remain a secret," I told her.

"Then you might want to keep his head covered while you journey into town or they'll know," she said, and although her voice was young, her words were full of wisdom. I felt as if I was talking to someone my age.

"Thank you again," I nodded, watching Luca hand her three stone coins and grab the rest of the meat. We split up as he limped toward his bear. I was glad to see him doing better, having rested over the night.

I walked toward Sebastian and lifted his dark hood over his head. He turned toward me. "What was that for?"

"Well, we haven't even been in the north for twenty minutes and you've already been recognized," I told him, looking down at the off white bear with blood staining his mouth as he tore at his meat. "It's best you keep your hood on, your majesty. The girl says everyone knows that you have fled the castle and is wanted for treason."

Prince Sebastian frowned as he looked over at the girl, who watched us intently. "How would she even know that so soon?"

"Birds," I told him. The Prince's eyes became slits.

"Even if Titus had used a bird to deliver a message to the north, it would've still taken another day for such news to spread, especially out here," he told me, scanning his surroundings intently. "Get on the bear."

"What's wrong?" Luca asked as he neared us.

"Wildlanders," Sebastian spat, and he spun on his heels and approached the girl. Her eyes were wide as he grabbed her by her rags and pulled her close to his face.

"Where are they?" the Prince demanded to know, and I simply stared, feeling bad for the girl. That was, until a fiery, mischievous grin melted her shocked expression.

"All around you," she answered. "You've been tracked for the last twelve miles. It's too late to run now."

The Prince let go of her and turned toward me with cold eyes. "Get on the bears!" he shouted at us. But I stayed frozen in place. He then rushed toward me as Luca ran to his own bear.

"We've been tracked? What does she mean?" I asked. "Have the rebels found us?"

"Worse," he said, grabbing my arm and guiding me toward the side of the bear. "There are wild men in these woods that travelers must watch out for. We call them Wildlanders. I...I hadn't paid attention to the signs. I was too distracted with...with..." The Prince's eyes lowered as regret caused his shoulders to sink. "The woods are so vast that running into the them is rare. They must've known we were coming."

"Who are the Wildlanders and why haven't I heard of them?" I asked.

"My father loves to keep certain things contained to its region. The Wildlanders are the north's problem," Sebastian said. "They are a group of men, women, and children - outcasts, thieves and killers thrown out of the northern villages and left to fend for themselves." Prince Sebastian told me.

"How did they know we were coming?" I asked him.

"I don't kn-"

"We shot down a messenger bird and found a note attached, warning the north that the Prince may travel through these parts," the girl said. "We've been waiting for hours, just in case."

"Why?" I asked, allowing the Prince to help me onto the bear.

"Because," she smiled, and for the first time, I noticed sharp, animalistic teeth. "We've been hungry."

That's when I realized, the girl hadn't been staring at the Prince because he was handsome. She simply wanted to eat him.

On top of the bear, I could see everything that had bot been visible from the ground. I saw the bear prints  in the snow, a dead giveaway to our exact location, I saw the open land that stretched on for a half a mile before turning into the forest,  and I saw the evergreen trees topped with snow. I also saw the dozens of men creeping toward us from behind those snow-topped trees, like a lion zoning in on its kill.

My heart rate sped up as I felt deepest sense of dread wash over me. Our troubles were never ending. Either that, or they were just beginning...

DISCUSSION TIME:

Post your story predictions here and then check back later to see how accurate you were! What do you think is going to happen next? You can list whatever prediction you want. (Ex. Luca gets eaten by the Wildlanders. Lol)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 116K 45
⭐️Silver Medal winner in the 2016 Readers' Favorite Book Award, Silver award winner in IBPA's 2016 Benjamin Franklin Awards, Semifinalist Winner in t...
1.6K 83 22
Book 2 follows Aurora Castellanios. After her world was turned up side down Aurora has no choice but to ascend the throne that wasn't meant for her...
2K 594 31
HEIR OF THE ENCHANTED FOREST MASTER OF MAGIC ********************************** ISABELL AVERY a girl with a flame burning inside. She's the girl wit...
8.8K 623 53
Two Fae enemies, the prince and princess from rival territories, put their hatred for one another to one side when they are forced to go on a dangero...