The Hunger Games

By lenagurrl

What would have happened if Katniss didn't take Prim's spot in The Hunger Games? Would anything be any differ... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen-The End
Chapter Eighteen-The End

Chapter Sixteen-The End

93K 1.5K 880
By lenagurrl

Sacha is dead before she can blink. The knife jams her in the skull, and she drops dead instantly. A cannon goes off, but only one. I know Peeta is still alive. I run over to Peeta and examine him. The arrow is far beyond my control. It's stuck in his chest. There is no way I can help him now. I cry into my hands loudly.

"I'm sorry. What have I done? I'm sorry, Peeta!" I cry out. He doesn't say anything back to me. He screams out in pain and clutches the arrow. He desperately tries to pull it out but only hurts himself more. Kelin runs over to him and tries to pull it out.

"Prim, it's stuck, there's no way it'll come out." He says. "Why don't we just end the pain for him now?" His voice is spiteful when he says that. I get a twisted feeling and turn angry.

"No! Why do you always want him dead!? He can live!" Peeta mumbles something and I turn to him. "What! What, Peeta? What did you say?" I ask over and over. He drools out a little bit blood and begins to tremble uncontrollably.

"P-p-pr-pri-Prim, r-r-re-remem-ber w-what I, w-what I told y-you." He stutters. I'm confused. What did he tell me? And, about who? "Prim, remember who the real enemy is." His voice flashes in my mind. I turn around quickly but I realize too late.

Kelin is already charging at me, knife in hand. Before I know it, he's on top of me grinning wildly. Now I start to lose it. I scream unhuman sounds and furiously shake my arms. But Kelin won't budge. He won't move off of me.

He slightly raises the knife, and I scream louder. I pray that somehow Peeta will save me, but when I glance at him, he's still in his same position on the ground. Suddenly, I bash my head into Kelin forehead and he frees my arms to grip his head.

I take this as my opportunity and push him off. I get to my feet and he jumps up too. I'm not expecting him to be up so quickly. I dart my eyes around, trying to find a weapon. Nothing. The knife was all we had left. Peeta probably only has minutes left.

Suddenly, I grit my teeth, take a huge breath and charge for Kelin. I refuse to die now. I can't. I won't. I forbid myself. After Kelin tricked me, I can't possibly let him win the game. Kelin panics and whizzes the knife for me.

Just as I planned.

I duck and the knife flies past me. I turn around and sprint for it. Kelin's footsteps are right behind me. But he's too slow. I grab the knife and fling at him before he can dodge it. It lands in his chest and another cannon goes off. I look at Peeta, but he's still breathing. Kelin falls to his knees and is circled in a pool of blood. I back away and let the hovercraft carry him away. I don't bother to grab the knife. That knife is dead to me. I hate it and how much killing it's done.

I bend down beside Peeta and bring him up to my knees. The arrow hasn't moved an inch. Peeta's crying has stopped, and he just slowly breathes now, taking his last few breathes.

"Peeta, I'm so sorry." I whisper, my lip quivering. Tears drop into the cuts on his face and mix with the blood. His eyes barely blink. "I'll miss you forever." I cry. I bury my head into his hair and cry. He coughs and whispers my name. I lift my head up and look him in the eyes.

"Prim," He says. "I'll miss you forever too." I raise my hand into a fist and put it at my heart. Peeta half-smiles.

"Thank you," He says. "for everything." I rock him in my arms for a little while, and let Peeta enjoy his last few moments. Finally, Peeta coughs out his last breathe, and shuts his eyes.

I lay him down carefully and slowly, and rest his hands together. I bawl like a baby and sit down and bring my knees up to my chest. The hovercraft appears and I suddenly do the unthinkable.

As the hovercraft begins to lift Peeta, I grab his arm and am lifted with him. I've gone crazy. No one has ever done something like this in the games before. Then again, no one's had a friend like Peeta before. We get closer to the hovercraft. This could be it. I could be gone from the horrible, awful world of the Hunger Games. They'll probably kill me, but it'll be worth it. I don't want to stand another second here. I don't want to kill anyone else.

Peeta and I are lifted inside the hovercraft. As soon as the door shuts, Peeta is taken into another room. A white wall is put up and I'm isolated.

I look around the room and it's comfortable. I sit down on the ground and wait for something to happen. But nothing does. Are they going to leave me here forever? Blow up the hovercraft and kill me? They could easily get a new one I assume. Are they going to just starve me to death. Are they watching me right now? Waiting for me to give up and beg to be put back in the games? Well, that won't happen, it's nice for them to dream.

"Primrose, it's nice to see you." A voice says. I look around the room and see no one there. "Hello?" I ask. The voice laughs.

"I see the Everdeen sisters have a thing for trouble?" It asks. I furrow my eyebrows. "What do you mean?" I ask the voice. It sighs. "Primrose, you've defied the capitol in the worst possible way anyone could have." It says. All of a sudden, the wall rises, and President Snow steps out from behind it. He has his hands behind his back and he paces back and forth in front of me.

"President Snow, you don't understand-" I begin. He puts his hand up.

"Then explain it to me. What don't I understand?" He snaps. I feel the lump in my throat form. I slowly push it down.

"I love Peeta. He's my best friend. He declared his love for my sister. I couldn't stand to see him leave me. I had to be with him." I say. President Snow laughs. "Primrose, Peeta's dead. There's nothing you can do. You can't be with him anymore. It's not like we can bring him back from the dead. You realize that, don't you?"

I look down. Of course I realized that. I'm not an idiot. But, Peeta and I can't be separated. I want him and Katniss to be together. I want things to be right for a change.

"It's unfortunate that you and him have to be separated, but that's the way the games go." Snow says, interrupting my thoughts. I look up at him, it was as if he was reading my mind.

"They don't have to be like that." I say. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a brown stick thing. He lights it on fire and blows smoke out of it. "You honestly think that if you disobey me, I'll get rid of the games? Because one, weak twelve-year-old told me she wanted the games to be different, I should listen? You're way out of your league, Primrose Everdeen." He says. I fold my arms and shake my head.

"But why? Why? Why does there have to be any killing? The rebellion happend almost a hundred years ago, how long will you hold a grudge for people who are dead?" I snap. He puts down his lighted brown stick, and stalks over to me. His vicious green eyes burn into mine, and he scowls.

"That's all you think this is? A grudge? Me holding a grudge? You're exactly why the games exist. Because without discipline, people begin to think they can do whatever they want. Act however they want. Say whatever they want. These games are a reminder to everyone, that I am the leader, I will not be disobeyed. I'm the most powerful person here. This is more than just a "grudge". This is about keeping you in line." He growls.

I take a step back. He lights another brown stick on fire, and smiles. "Well c'mon, I can be the nice guy. What's all this anger for? Let's have a friendly talk, just you and me." He says. I stand there confused. You just snapped at me. We're friends now?

"How's your day been?" He asks. I stare at him, without saying a word.

"Something's wrong with you." I say blankly. He nods. The wall rises again, and President Snow steps behind it. He gives a suspicious wink as it lowers. I hear a chime of a bell and turn around to see a pillow and blanket with a note attached to it. I pick up the note.

"Have a good night's sleep. You'll need it." -President Snow.

I put the card down and set the pillow on the ground. He's right. I will need some good rest. Who knows where I'll be going after this. I wrap the blanket around me and as soon as my head hits the pillow, I fall asleep.

I dream I'm back in the forest. The scene is so real, I can picture exactly where I am, the noises in the background sound so realistic. Peeta is huddled next to a tree, lying on his side. He's naked, but it doesn't affect me. I run over to him, and roll his cold, shivering body over. I scream in horror. His eyes are gone, and they're just white sockets. He's been crying. He's still screaming in pain, but I can't think after looking at his eye sockets.

Our screams blend into one, and I see Peeta being stabbed by the arrow again, him being lifted up into the hovercraft. Suddenly, as I'm watching Peeta's body transported to the hovercraft, I catch a glimpse of President Snow smiling from inside the hovercraft. He mouths something to me, and I read out "The games will continue on." The hovercraft disappears, and I'm left alone. The noise of the forest grows louder, more realistic, it overwhelms me, and I scream until I go black.

I wake up suddenly, and still hear the noises from the forest. I look around and begin to whimper softly. The reason why the forest noises were so real was because I was in the forest. The same forest that Marvel, Cato, and Axel are in. I put my face in my hands and cry as I realize that it wasn't over for me.

I was back in the games.

~*~*~*~*
If you read the title, it says "The end". I want you to know that this is NOT the last chapter, I repeat, this is NOT THE LAST CHAPTER! But, it is the beginning of the last few chapters of the book. After this, there will only be about, two (possibly three) chapters left of the Hunger Games. I know, SCARY. I don't want it to end either. But, every book has to end sometime. So, read this chapter, once, twice, a gazillion times, then vote, comment, and share it with other people! Sharing this story with someone would make my day, *hint hint!* But I hoped you enjoyed it! Bye!!! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 1.8K 49
What if Katniss had been the one left in the arena? What if Katniss had been hijacked and Peeta had been swept to safety to District 13. What if the...
19K 466 15
Have you ever thought about what would have happened if Rue won The Hunger Games instead? Hi, I'm Rue. I'm only 12 and I'm from district 11. This ye...
672 28 21
What if Katniss didn't volunteer for Prim? Not because she didn't want to, but because she didn't have the chance. What if instead Prim's friend vol...
79.8K 1.8K 16
What if Prim and Katniss switched places? What if Katniss' name was drawn and Prim so foolishly volunteered? Here I am to tell you. Started on Februa...