Chapter Sixteen-The End

Sacha is dead before she can blink. The knife jams her in the skull, and she drops dead instantly. A cannon goes off, but only one. I know Peeta is still alive. I run over to Peeta and examine him. The arrow is far beyond my control. It's stuck in his chest. There is no way I can help him now. I cry into my hands loudly.

"I'm sorry. What have I done? I'm sorry, Peeta!" I cry out. He doesn't say anything back to me. He screams out in pain and clutches the arrow. He desperately tries to pull it out but only hurts himself more. Kelin runs over to him and tries to pull it out.

"Prim, it's stuck, there's no way it'll come out." He says. "Why don't we just end the pain for him now?" His voice is spiteful when he says that. I get a twisted feeling and turn angry.

"No! Why do you always want him dead!? He can live!" Peeta mumbles something and I turn to him. "What! What, Peeta? What did you say?" I ask over and over. He drools out a little bit blood and begins to tremble uncontrollably.

"P-p-pr-pri-Prim, r-r-re-remem-ber w-what I, w-what I told y-you." He stutters. I'm confused. What did he tell me? And, about who? "Prim, remember who the real enemy is." His voice flashes in my mind. I turn around quickly but I realize too late.

Kelin is already charging at me, knife in hand. Before I know it, he's on top of me grinning wildly. Now I start to lose it. I scream unhuman sounds and furiously shake my arms. But Kelin won't budge. He won't move off of me.

He slightly raises the knife, and I scream louder. I pray that somehow Peeta will save me, but when I glance at him, he's still in his same position on the ground. Suddenly, I bash my head into Kelin forehead and he frees my arms to grip his head.

I take this as my opportunity and push him off. I get to my feet and he jumps up too. I'm not expecting him to be up so quickly. I dart my eyes around, trying to find a weapon. Nothing. The knife was all we had left. Peeta probably only has minutes left.

Suddenly, I grit my teeth, take a huge breath and charge for Kelin. I refuse to die now. I can't. I won't. I forbid myself. After Kelin tricked me, I can't possibly let him win the game. Kelin panics and whizzes the knife for me.

Just as I planned.

I duck and the knife flies past me. I turn around and sprint for it. Kelin's footsteps are right behind me. But he's too slow. I grab the knife and fling at him before he can dodge it. It lands in his chest and another cannon goes off. I look at Peeta, but he's still breathing. Kelin falls to his knees and is circled in a pool of blood. I back away and let the hovercraft carry him away. I don't bother to grab the knife. That knife is dead to me. I hate it and how much killing it's done.

I bend down beside Peeta and bring him up to my knees. The arrow hasn't moved an inch. Peeta's crying has stopped, and he just slowly breathes now, taking his last few breathes.

"Peeta, I'm so sorry." I whisper, my lip quivering. Tears drop into the cuts on his face and mix with the blood. His eyes barely blink. "I'll miss you forever." I cry. I bury my head into his hair and cry. He coughs and whispers my name. I lift my head up and look him in the eyes.

"Prim," He says. "I'll miss you forever too." I raise my hand into a fist and put it at my heart. Peeta half-smiles.

"Thank you," He says. "for everything." I rock him in my arms for a little while, and let Peeta enjoy his last few moments. Finally, Peeta coughs out his last breathe, and shuts his eyes.

I lay him down carefully and slowly, and rest his hands together. I bawl like a baby and sit down and bring my knees up to my chest. The hovercraft appears and I suddenly do the unthinkable.