Chapter Fourteen

"Poisoned?" A voice asks over and over. I flicker my eyes through the blackness surrounding me and realize it was Peeta's voice. He fidgets in the position he's in, trying to sit up. "What do you mean it's poisoned?" He asks. I hear Kelin laugh.

"What could it mean? The water will kill us if we drink it! Haven't you ever heard of poisoned before?" He snaps. I roll my eyes and stumble my way back over to him.

"Be nice." I say. "Yes, Peeta. The water is poisoned." Peeta grumbles. "How do you know the animal didn't eat something earlier and is dying from that?" He asks. I pick up the bag and thrust it to Peeta.

"Do you want to drink what's left and see if it really is poisoned?" I ask. He sets the bag down and cuts his eyes at me. Kelin laughs again.

"Both of you just shut up and go back to sleep. I'll take watch now." I fold my arms and shake my head. "No. I still want to keep watch." I say. Kelin stares me down until he gives in and says alright. My mother always said I was the queen of stubbornness. It always came in handy.

"Alright, but just don't wake us up if you see a squirrel running, OK?" Kelin snaps. I watch him lie back down and drift into sleep. For someone who wants to be our friend, he's sure mean. Why does he even want to be our friend now? The games will be over soon. There really isn't time to form alliances. There has to be a trick up his sleeve or something. I just can't leave Peeta's side any time now. Knowing that Kelin wants Peeta dead, he'll take any chance he gets to rid him of the games.

By morning, I'm exhausted. I didn't once sleep once. I was afraid Peeta would get hurt if I didn't keep an eye on him. I feel bags beginning to form under my eyes. I rub them sleepily and try to shake it off.

"I'm going hunting." Kelin announces and leaves. The temperature feels great today. The sun is out, but it  isn't roasting. It's warm enough for me to stick my face in it and bask in it's light. Peeta laughs at me.

"What's so funny?" I ask. He smiles. "Nothing." It's silent for a while. Peeta is lying down in a ball, like he's really cold. Then he says something that catches me off guard.

"So Kelin wants me dead, huh?" He asks with a little smile on his face. I snap my head towards him. "How did you know?" I stammer. He shrugs his shoulders and rolls his eyes.

"I was awake when you were talking about getting rid of me. You thought I was asleep." He says. I bite my lip and stay quiet. "W-well, I tried to protect you." I say. Peeta smiles and nods.

"Thanks. But never mind him, just..remember who the real enemy is." I nod. Cato. Cato's the one we need to take down. He's the one I'm after at least.

Peeta sits up and sticks his arms out to the sun. "It's so cold." He whispers. His cuts have stop swelling, but they're still freshly red. I take the ointment out and rub some more on him. He half-smiles at me.

"What's next Doctor Prim?" He asks. I shake my head and continue to rub the ointment in. "I'm no doctor. I'm just helping you out." I set the ointment down and stare at the wounds. I wish I could fix them.

"I wish my mother were here, she could fix this easily." I say. Peeta looks down at the wounds for a quick second the back to me.

"Was Katniss ever good with healing?" He asks. I giggle and shake my head. "Katniss? Good? Nope. She couldn't even stand to see blood. It was a wonder that she caught all those animals." I say. Peeta nods.

"How long did you like her?" I ask suddenly. Peeta's smile drops and he looks down. "Oh I'm sorry, was that too personal?" I ask. He grabs my hand and shakes his head.

"You have a right to know, I guess." He begins. "I've liked her since I saw her pretty much. When we went to school together, she was just someone I couldn't stop staring at. She could get anyone she wanted, but she never did date anyone. It was strange to me."