Oh, Dakota

By writerbug44

Dakota Peters is a simple girl. She is okay with surviving high school with her friends, her brother, and her... More

1- Had Me At Hello
2- Why Don't You Love Me?
3- Heart Attack
4- If I Had You
5- And Run
6- Slow Down
7- Stutter
8- Madhouse
9- Come In With The Rain
10- Really Don't Care
11- Come And Get It
12- For The Love Of A Daughter
13- Bubbly
14- Now Is The Start
15- Start Of Something Good
17- Take My Breath Away
18- Amazed
19- Clarity
20- Love Life
21- Every Rose Has Its Thorns
22- Hurricane
23- Wrecking Ball
24- Sad Song
25- You Suck At Love
26- Bad Day
27- Let Her Go
28- Not Like the Movies
29- Breathe
30- Oh Well, Oh Well
31- It Ends Tonight
32- Hold Onto Me
33- Heart Vacancy
34- Beneath Your Beautiful
35- Warrior
36- Endlessly
37- State of Grace
38- Epilogue
Author's Goodbye </3

16- Nothing At All

66.5K 2.1K 390
By writerbug44

“Oh my god!” I yelped loudly on Thursday afternoon once I got home and in my room to turn on my laptop. Nobody was around, because Todd and Owen and all of the guys were still downstairs eating my whole kitchen, only leaving the cupboards, which was why I was screeching so loudly, and I was seriously freaking out when I opened my email and saw this:

anniewatkinsartstudio@gmail.com
RE: Hello 

It was the subject to an unopened mail that I had received a few hours ago while I was at school. My mind started to race when I realized that my mom had actually emailed me back, or maybe it’s some stranger informing me that I have the wrong person. Either way, it was a response that I was incredibly nervous to actually read. I wasn’t sure what to expect at all. She could have been angry that I was contacting her or she could be telling me that I was a mistake or that she should have had me and Owen aborted. That would be pretty horrible to read from my mother, I thought, but I still had to read the email anyway, because I could be something good or, like I had suggested before- it could be the wrong Annie Watkins and she only emailed me back to tell me that.

I moved the curser to click on the email so that I could actually read what it said but then I didn’t actually push the button on my laptop for a long time as I just stared at the little bar informing me that it’s still unread. I stared at it for a pretty long time before I actually clicked on it with one last squeal of nerves. I got up and locked my door before returning to my laptop and actually reading the email because I knew that Todd was going to be coming in here soon and I didn’t want him to walk in on me reading this email because that would kind of ruin the whole secrecy thing I was pulling off with this contacting my mother thing.

Dear Dakota,

It is so nice to hear from you! I’ve always wanted to reach out to you and your brothers but I knew that your father would shut me down if I tried. I always think about you, Dakota, and I can’t believe that you’re all grown up now. I’ll start by answering our questions, because I would absolutely love to get to know you. If I’m doing my math correctly, you’re seventeen by now and for that, I realize that you’re almost an adult and I know that you deserve to know why I left, and maybe you will understand, but it’s not my place to tell you, it’s your father’s. I have felt awful about my decision to leave since the day I set foot on the airplane out of the U.S. though, I hope you know that. And as for your real questions, my art is going fantastic! I think it would be absolutely incredible if you came over here to see for yourself. It really is lovely here in France.

I don’t even know where to start about myself. I live just west of Paris in a nice house but I live there alone. I’ve dated through the years, but nothing too serious because I’ve been focusing on my art mainly. I’ve been opening up a lot of galleries as of late, which you probably know since you found my website, and it’s all really exciting for me.

Like I said before, I would love for you and your brothers to come and visit me- although I don’t think that Derek would consider it, but maybe talk to Owen for me? I know that your father wouldn’t approve of it, but maybe when you turn eighteen? I have plenty of room for you to stay and I have a maid and a personal chef (French chefs are the best chefs). I would really give anything to see you, Dakota, I bet you turned into a beautiful young woman. I’ll give you my address and ask that you send pictures? I would adore some pictures.

I have so much more to tell you, but right now I have tons of work to do. I’m opening a new gallery in July and I have tons of planning that still needs to be done. Maybe you can come to the premier? That would be just lovely, don’t you agree?

I hope to talk to you again soon,

A Bien Tot,
Annie Watkins

I was almost crying by the time I finished the email and I probably would have exploded into sentimental tears of joy if Todd didn’t knock on my door a few seconds later.

She didn’t hate me.

She wasn’t repulsed by me.

She didn’t regret actually giving birth to me.

She wanted to actually see me.

I just had a back and forth conversation kind of with my mother and that was the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to me ever in my whole entire life. That was so cool, I actually just talked to my mother via email and I couldn’t be happier with the response.

“Are you in there, Kota?” Todd called as I shakily jumped at the sound of his voice and then nearly slammed the laptop shut to keep the email a secret, even though the door was locked so he couldn’t get in anyway, I was still paranoid about it.

“Y-yeah, I’m coming!” I called back, hurrying over to the door and unlocked it so that he could come in.

“Why was your door locked, weirdo?” He wondered with a chuckle, stepping in and putting a small kiss on my lips.

“Because sometimes I like to lock my door.” I lie quickly. “What’s up?”

He grinned at me before responding to my question, which made me suspicious. “You’re mine tonight.”

I nodded with a small giggle. “Yeah, we agreed on that yesterday but like, why are you being all maniacal?”

“I’m not being maniacal,” He denied with a maniacal laugh, which further proved my point, but he still wouldn’t admit to it. I knew something was up anyway.

“You really are. What are you up to?”

“Nothing,” He insisted. “But I’m taking you out tonight, so you should probably get dressed now.”

“Oh, so that’s what you’re up to,” I giggled.

He nodded and wrapped his arms around me so that my back was pressed against his chest, which felt really nice to me. “Yep, that’s what I’m up to.”

“Well, where are we going? I need to know what to wear,” I explained to him.

“The Iron Lion,” He informed me, placing a soft kiss on the base of my neck.

I gaped at him, since The Iron Lion is probably one of the fanciest restaurants in this part of Alabama, which is probably how it gets away with having such a ridiculous name, and it’s also one of my favorite restaurants because the food is so amazingly good. “Are you paying for that? Because I have no money.”

He laughed and then rolled his eyes at me. “Yes, I’m paying, Dakota, just get dressed because we have reservations for an hour from right now,” Todd informed me, kissing the top of my head before leaving the room. “I’ll pick you up in half an hour.”

“Wait, you’re going to go home and then come back just to pick me up?” I wondered.

He nodded and then began walking out the door of my bedroom to leave. “Yeah, I have to get dressed too, you know.”

“Okay,” I giggled, totally giddy at the idea of him taking me on like, a first date. That was really sweet of him, to take me out when he knew that he didn’t have to or anything because I obviously wasn’t going to just break up with him because he doesn’t take me out on a date.

I took a shower after practice, so I luckily didn’t have to waste time doing that, so I immediately start to search my closet for the perfect outfit to wear to such a fancy restaurant. I was so hyped about going out with Todd, in fact, that I totally forgot about the email that I had gotten from Annie.

I found a dress at the back of my closet that was really cute and kind of fancy, but not too fancy. It was crème colored with a black lacy vest over the top part and then I matched it with nice black heels. My hair was pretty much dried, so I curled it in thick, fancy curls and kept it all tame and together with a matching crème colored bow in the back. My hair was so thick, though, that it took a really long time to curl it, so as I was pushing the bow into place, there was a knock on my bedroom door.

“Yeah?” I called, hurrying towards it just as the bow snapped into place and my door swung open to reveal my dad, standing tall and all protective-like.

“Your date’s downstairs.” He informed me gruffly.

I smiled innocently at him because it was clear that he wasn’t very fond of the idea of me going on a date- especially not with one of his players- but he was putting up with it just as Owen was. “Thank you,” I chirped.

“You better tell me if he doesn’t respect you,” He told me, following me down the stairs.

“I will, Daddy,” I laughed. “But you know that he won’t do anything bad. Mostly because he’s petrified of you and Owen.”

“As he should be,” My dad nodded, continuing to follow me all the way to the open front door where Todd was standing in the doorway in a nice black suit.

“Hello, Sir.” He greeted my dad with an anxious smile, unable to hide his fear of my dad.

“I can smell fear, Ziff.” My dad informed Todd, crossing his arms across his chest as if to look even more intimidating. My dad was athletic, so he was still muscly- well, for an old man, he was kind of muscly, like a bad attempt at a body guard or something, so he did look pretty scary to most people. Todd included, obviously.

“Um, I’m aware,” Todd muttered, making me giggle because I found it so hilarious that Todd was afraid of my dad. I mean, it was understandable, but still really funny at the same time.

“Daddy, we’re gonna go now,” I interjected, deciding that Todd had enough of my dad’s awkward torture methods. “I’ll be back by ten.”

“I know you will,” He nodded, still giving Todd this weird intimidation stare like he was a momma bear or something.

“Right,” I sighed, walking past him out the door to where Todd was standing and then I took Todd’s arm in my hand and led him away from the front porch.

“I can smell lies too!” My dad called before shutting the door to the house, but I knew that he was still watching through the small window that was on the door, thinking that he was being discreet but I knew him too well to not know that he was still watching.

Todd opened my door for me and I giggled a thank you, stepping into his car and waiting for him to take is seat in the driver side.

“So how’d you get last minute reservations at The Iron Lion?” I wondered curiously, trying to keep the conversation off of my awfully invasive father.

“My uncle’s a chef there,” He told me, subtly but not so subtly taking my hand in his over the center console. I thought that I was going to be nervous, going on this date with Todd, but I was incredibly relieved to find out that I wasn’t nervous at all. I mean, it was Todd, the guy that I’ve known for almost my whole life, so there really was no reason to be nervous, but I’ve just always read in the books and everything that the girl is always nervous during the first date.

“Oh, yeah I remember you saying that before,” I nodded, remembering that he had told me that once.

“Yeah, well I’m his only nephew, so he tends to pick favorites,” Todd informed me with a small smirk.

“What about TJ?” I asked, referring to Todd’s older brother, who was like 24 or something like that and he didn’t live too far away, I don’t think. Todd doesn’t really talk about his brother very much, so I wouldn’t know.

“TJ doesn’t count because he’s kind of an asshole,” He shrugged off the question.

“Your brother’s not an asshole,” I defended. I’d only seen TJ a few times since he moved out five years ago for college, but he’s pretty nice, I think.

“Yeah he is,” Todd insisted with a nod. “He’s dating a model, you know.”

“Oh, the nerve on that boy,” I muttered sarcastically with a small laugh.

“I’m serious,” Todd laughed with me. “I don’t know her name and I haven’t met her, but she seems like a real brat from what he’s told me about her.”

“He told you that his model girlfriend is a brat?” I wondered.

“No, he told me that she doesn’t wear cotton. I mean, isn’t cotton in most clothes? How the hell do you not wear cotton?”

I laughed at his ridiculousness- although it is kinda weird to not wear cotton, but that’s no reason to not like a person. “Okay, that’s weird,” I appeased Todd. “But that doesn’t make her a brat, it just makes her a tad bit weird. My brother’s wife just had a baby, though, and we’re not allowed to see her, so that’s kind of bratty as well.”

“You don’t mean Owen, do you?” Todd frowned in confusion.

“No, Todd,” I laughed, rolling my eyes teasingly at my goofy boyfriend. “Derek, obviously. He won’t come down so that we can meet our little niece and it’s really unfair.”

“That is kinda unfair, but isn’t like, giving birth an ordeal that needs recovery?” He asked.

“Well yeah, but it’s been about a few weeks, and that’s long enough. But we’re not allowed to go up to visit him because our dad won’t let us so I think that he just secretly hates me and Owen now that he has a better family to hang out with.” I admitted softly.

Todd was quiet for a moment before responding. “Well if that’s the case, then your brother is really stupid, because you and Owen are seriously the funniest people to be around because your sibling bicker is really amusing.”

I laughed softly and nodded. “It is, I’m aware.” I conceded jokingly. “Derek must live such a dull life without us there to entertain him.”

I laughed at his stupid joke and then looked out the window. It wasn’t late at all- it was only six- so it was still pretty light outside, but it would probably be dark when we returned home.

“You look beautiful, by the way,” He added after a moment of silence.

I grinned at him and squeezed his hand tighter in mine. “Thank you. You look pretty snazzy yourself.”

“Snazzy is a weird word,” Todd informed me with a laugh.

“I like it,” I defended giddily. “It’s a snazzy word.”

“Okay, whatever you say,” He sang, obviously not agreeing with me.

“You just don’t understand,” I teased him with a small smile.

We teased each other lightly all the way to the restaurant, which was only about a twenty minute drive and when we got there, he insisted on opening the door for me again because he’s such a sweetie pie and then he led me inside with my hand in his. The host led us to a small table that was decorated for two with a candle and a rose on the middle of the table.

“This is so cute!” I squealed, observing the romantically decorated table that just looked so… well, romantic. “How’d you even think of this place?”

“I know it’s your favorite,” He replied, sitting across from me. The rose wasn’t tall enough to obstruct my view of him, so that was good, because I didn’t want to be obstructed while looking at his amazing face. “And I’m not creative enough to think of something un-cliché to do, so dinner was really my only option. Well, I mean there’s movies too, but I’m not gonna sit through a chick flick. I just don’t have the patience for that.”

“Chick flicks can be cool.” I defend with a small smile. “But I wouldn’t expect you to endure a chick flick. This place is perfect, though, so I’m glad that you didn’t take me to the movies or anything.”

“I’m glad you think so,” Todd chirped with a proud smile, like he was proud of himself for bringing me to such a fabulous place. Which he should be proud of, because they seriously have the best food ever here, like I said.

The waiter came over and gave us bread and took our drink orders before trotting away.

“Oh my gosh, even their bread is perfect,” I cooed, taking my fair heaping of sour dough bread- which is my favorite kind of bread- and they make their butter homemade, which makes it that much better.

“Jesus, if I knew that the bread would get you going, I would have just brought you the bread.” He laughed, obviously amused at my infatuation with the bread.

“But it’s not just the bread,” I rolled my eyes at him. “It’s also the bacon Carbonara, because it’s also the definition of perfection.”

“When’s the last time you’ve eaten here?” Todd wondered with amusement.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Like, before sophomore year.”

And then he fell silent because everyone falls silent when I bring up sophomore year, it’s like what they’re supposed to do, to just not talk. We’re not supposed to talk about sophomore year because it was a pimple in everyone’s life thanks to me.

“When’s the last time you’ve been here?” I wondered to get him to talk again because I didn’t like the Sophomore Moment of Silence thing that I had brought upon us.

He shook out of his silence to answer my question, which I was grateful for and replied. “I don’t know, a few months ago, I think.”

“Did you have a hot date?” I teased.

He laughed and then shook his head. “No, I certainly did not. I brought my mom for her birthday in November.”

“How sweet,” I cooed with a giggle.

Todd nodded in agreement. “You know me,” He teased. 

And so we sat and we ate and he laughed at me as I awed over the perfection of the food and also the perfection of his laugh because they were both just so incredibly perfect. When I was done with my dinner, I was too full to finish the whole thing so I got half of it put in a to-go container while Todd continued to eat his whole mean, which was some marinara thing.

“Do you want dessert?” Todd asked me once he was finished and our plates were both taken away.

I shook my head. “No, I’m way too stuffed for that.” I wasn’t really too stuffed, but I figured that we’d like, make out in the car and I didn’t want a full stomach for that. And besides the fact that I haven’t eaten a dessert excluding birthday cake since the sophomore year fiasco.

We left the restaurant at about 8:30, and I wasn’t ready to go home yet, since I was having so much fun with Todd and I didn’t have to be home for another hour and a half.

“What do you want to do for another hour?” I wondered.

“I think I’ll get points with your dad if I bring you home early,” Todd replied, about to open the passenger door for me to get in.

I put my hand over his, stopping him from opening the door and kissed his cheek before whispering in his ear. “But you’ll earn points with me if we just make out in the backseat for a little bit.”

“I think I like your idea better,” He nodded, releasing the handle to the front of the car and then moving to open the door to the backseat.

I giggled as we both crawled into the back. I was grateful that it was dark now so that nobody could like, peek into the window and see us, because I wouldn’t have done it if we were on display like that.

Todd still got his points with my dad though, because we only made out for like, half an hour before he brought me back home and my dad was the one who answered the door at nine o’clock.

“You’re almost late,” He huffed as he opened the door.

“We’re an hour early, Daddy,” I reminded him with a long sigh.

“Yeah, and I’m sure you would have been earlier if you weren’t making out.” He replied bluntly, pointing to my neck. I felt the area that he pointed to and felt a soft bruise there. I hadn’t even thought of there being a hickey. “And I’m not happy about that, but teenagers will be teenagers, I suppose. How was dinner?”

“It was fine,” I muttered, not really wanting to talk to my dad about my date with my date standing right there.

“Where’d you go?”

“We went to The Iron Lion.” Todd informed him.

“Really?” My dad asked in surprise.

I nodded. “Yep, and their bacon noodles are just as amazing as they were the last time I went, now I’m tired, so I’m just gonna go to bed and leave you two to chat.” I chirped, deciding that I didn’t want to be part of this awkward conversation. I whispered a thank you to Todd before exiting the doorway to go upstairs but I stopped short when I overheard my dad talking to Todd when they could no longer see me.

“Did she actually eat?”

“Yes, Sir,” Todd replied. “A lot, actually.”

“Good job, kid.” My dad commented as I stomped up the stairs because I was annoyed that everything I did had to circle back around to sophomore year. A huge reminder that I’m a lunatic and need to be talked about as if I’m a child or something. Maybe I could get even better if people just stopped acting like there was still something wrong with me.

Maybe I could get even better.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

898 217 21
Bethany thought she would always have eyes for basketball-star Matt...until she meets someone who can even out charm him, his older brother. ...
32.1K 685 48
Genevieve loves her friends, her family, wants nothing more than to live a "perfect life". She's painfully shy, has never had a boyfriend, and works...
29.4K 976 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...
270K 26.4K 36
An ex-couples rivalry for the spot as student body president becomes even more convoluted when two new, unexpected candidates enter the race. Chloe a...